Chapter 3 : Devil’s Game – Part Two
38 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Silas found himself engulfed in a sea of conflicting emotions, an indistinct tumult that defied easy categorization. The true nature of his feelings eluded precise definition. Was his fury kindled by the humiliation and degradation he endured, or did a sense of satisfaction dwell within him for the retribution exacted on his behalf? Most likely, a peculiar fusion of both sentiments rendered him emotionally numb, fixating his gaze on the demon king with an unyielding focus this time.

"What is your perception? Do you deem my realm harsh? I assure you, it pales in comparison to the real world; it's decidedly more forgiving because here, you can discern the architect of this reality."

Does this motherfucker think he's a god? Silas mused.

Following these reflections, a modicum of anger coursed through Silas. How could this bastard equate himself to the true Creator, when in reality, he hadn't fashioned a single element of this world from the ground up? Everything was an extrapolation from the real world, intricately designed with the assistance of artificial intelligence. Yes, he might have crafted the model, but its foundations rested upon the models of others.

In a curious twist, Silas realises that there was likely some form of disorder at play—whether medical or psychological. This Sadism seemed to harbour an insatiable desire for control, perhaps he likes dominant sex, Silas astutely deduced.

"And you may ponder, what gain do I derive from beholding your fucking countenance? What you stand to gain from listening to me is my elucidation on surviving in this world. So, listen attentively, for I am extending kindness to you now."

Silas hesitated to heed any directives from his interlocutor, yet a tacit acknowledgment nudged him towards compliance. He harboured a strong conviction that fatalities in this world transcended the digital divide into reality, and that was an outcome he vehemently wished to avoid. Though he yearned for death daily amidst the bullying, the virtual realms provided solace—a realm where he had friends, even if they were non-player characters. These companions, fashioned by his psychiatrist, accompanied him on adventures that served as a therapeutic balm following his failed suicide attempt. Now, with a renewed lease on life, he desired survival. His parents, despite their financial hardships, understood the bullying he faced, having invested both emotionally and monetarily in psychiatrists and virtual reality devices to help him.

I must return, irrespective of the toll. Enlighten me on your fucking rules, Silas ruminates with an undercurrent of anger.

"There exist thirty players and thirty bettors. An auction unfolded among the bettors, where investments were made in the desired players, in you. Each bettor possesses an equal sum, and it's conceivable for several bettors to invest in the same individual. You might question: What utility does this investment hold for me in navigating this splendid world? You will arrive at that answer, but first, let us delve into the elucidation of your systems."

Abruptly, a cerulean screen materialised before Silas, prompting a startled reaction. Surveying his surroundings, he discerned identical screens before his colleagues—devoid, like his own. His gaze returned to the demon king.

"In the system I devised, there are no levels. Instead, a player ranking is established based on points."

The screen unfurled a protracted table, boasting three columns: Ranking, Points, Number of Bettors.

"Your ranking has already been determined by artificial intelligence, grounded in your data. This ranking was instrumental in the auction, immutable but for the addition of a solitary column: the number of bettors."

Silas scrutinised the ranking as names sequentially materialised. Gavin Titan claimed the pinnacle, an anticipated acknowledgment of his academic and athletic prowess, even excelling in games. Imperfect, undoubtedly, but a figure deserving of respect for his palpable endeavours.

Post-Gavin, the roster included Adrian, Marx, and Nolan—Gavin's comrades.

Hold on, where are the girls and the teachers?

Silas persisted in his perusal, and the ranking unfolded as anticipated until reaching Ethan and Kai. Their rankings aligned with expectations, moderately elevated owing to their status as bullies. Silas, anticipating a subpar ranking due to his hiatus from studies and a suicide attempt, was astounded to find himself at the nadir of the ranking with zero points.

"Before disclosing the number of investors for each individual, let me first elucidate the benefits you accrue from this investment. Three power systems govern my world, commencing with the weapon industry system, a source of my pride."

The system screen metamorphosed, obliterating the table and unveiling diverse configurations.

"This system bestows an opportunity upon those with fewer investors, enabling them to forge weapons through their efforts—acquiring materials enhances a weapon's potency, contingent upon the player's proficiency in craftsmanship. Materials can be gleaned from monster slaying or mining. Moreover, weapons can be obtained from monsters and subsequently upgraded. You might question: How does one hunt monsters? This is where the last two systems come into play. Investors can procure weapons for you and purchase blessings that may aid your journey, such as extraordinary abilities like super powers, you know flying and shit.”

Fuck

"I notice some worried faces in the lineup. No need to fret; there's a third system. I'll keep the details vague to add some mystery, but rest assured, I've made sure everyone gets a fair shot at survival. My world is just more real than the real one. Can you believe that? In the real world, you might work hard, but someone else gets the job just because they know the right people. Here, having more investors gives you an edge because you've earned it. Having fewer investors doesn't mean no chance to win, just a tougher road. It's not unfair; it's because of you. Remember that."

Am I really the reason I'm at the bottom of the rankings? Silas lost in his thoughts, not paying attention to what the demon king said. Is he the cause of being last, the reason for his and his parents' problems? Isn't bullying the root of all issues in his family? How can that devil claim Silas is the cause?

Silas lacked the early skills to handle bullying. He saw Ethan and Kai trying to bully others, but they got stopped. When he tried, he faced more teasing. Was it because of his feminine face inherited from his parents? But he didn't choose it. Maybe it's his personality. Did he choose to be kind? No, he wanted to be a mischievous boy. Is it his parents' upbringing? His younger brother is mischievous and never complained about bullying. How can this devil say Silas is the reason for being last, not only in this world but in everything in his life? Is he truly the cause of his failures? Is the one in the first place really a self-made success or just lucky? Perhaps he bears some responsibility. Bad luck plays a part, as do his parents, but why is he last? If not him, would it be someone else? Why must anyone be last?

That's why I believe in life after death. I'll end it if I don't. It's my only hope that the last rank before death could be the first after death. So, I must survive and prove to that bastard that I won't die by his rules. I won't be last, following his rules. I'll work to be the first according to the rules of the real world, not this cursed one.

After Silas emerged from his deep thoughts, the demon king disappeared. He opened the system, typical of the virtual reality games he played, and saw the time had passed, rankings changed, and he was alone without a team or investors. How did he miss this? 

"Fuck, I did it again, deep thinking again! but this time in the worst fucking place in the fucking world. I failed, I fucking failed mom, I am fucked."

Suddenly, Silas found himself crying loudly, bound and alone. He cried not because he might die but because he would die alone, as always. He feared this, which is why he wanted to survive. All he feared came true—he feared being last, forming teams and leaving him alone, and dying alone. Night fell quickly; he saw the eyes that had watched them approach. He closed his eyes, anticipating his fate. He felt pain like never before, unwilling to open his eyes as he lost his limbs. Only his head remained, and the monsters continued playing with it like a football, causing him to cry again.

***

Notification: Devil's Game Update

🚨 Silas Hartwell Eliminated! 🚨

Cause of Elimination: Eaten alive by Shadowclaws Monsters

Only 9 Teams Remain in the Game.

Gear up!

2