13
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“So, did you get your ticket?” My mom asked me at the dinner table. 

“No,” I sighed and ate my steamed peas.

“What? Why?”

“I don’t know? I kinda don’t want to go anymore?”

“We bought you your dress and set aside money for your ticket? What happened that changed your mind?” My mom was genuinely shocked, and already I could tell she was already seeing it as a waste of money if I didn’t go. Despite me working extra for it, she’s still going to say something about using the money wisely. 

“My friends are putting me off lately.”

“Why is that? You’ve never had an issue with your little group.”

“I just, wanted someone to go with us and they didn’t want them to join?”

“Who?”

“A new person in my English class,” I hesitated as I remembered vividly my friends telling me that my parents would so disapprove of Parker. I had to keep him vague to them especially.

“Hun,” my dad spoke up, “don’t let your friends stop you from having fun and an experience you want.”

“You already got your dress and the money for a ticket, you should go,” my mom also added. “Can you go with just the friend from class?”

“They say I should just go with my friends and without them,” I sighed. 

“Hmmm,” my dad hummed loudly. 

“Go with your friends. If the person you invited doesn’t mind not going, don’t waste your time on them. Clearly they’re fine. Buy your ticket and have a fun night,” my mom shrugged as she ended her statement. 

I pouted because my mom was right… Parker really insisted that I go with my friends. I should go, even if it means I’m not going with Parker.

I clean up dinner and head into my room to start drafting out ideas for next semester’s portfolio. The rest of my homework was already completed but this. My paper was empty of ideas, except for a family tree. I supposed I could repaint family members and make one tree display of us. Sadly it was the only idea I had at the moment. As much as I was displeased with it, it was all I got for now. 

I then noticed a text pop up on my screen. It was from Justin. 

Justin: Hey girl, can we chat?

I sighed and opened up messenger and we texted back and forth. 

Me: Yeah, what’s up?

Justin: Sorry… For today. Claire can be a bitch.

Me: Why apologize?

Justin: I know you like Parker. Like, a lot a lot. Claire is hoping that you get off of him.

Me: Yeah, I know.

Justin: Well, bestie, you like him and I want you happy. If you want, the three of us can go on our own, if you want.

I set my phone down and felt warm inside my chest. I was shocked that Justin, despite how picky he could be as well, was really looking out for me. He really was a best friend. 

Me: It’s okay, Parker said he wouldn’t go since Claire was upset by the idea of him going… It’ll be fine, I’ll get my ticket tomorrow. Don’t worry, it’ll go as planned. 

Justin: You sure?

Me: I’m sure.

I didn’t feel sure, but I had to go anyway.

0