Hardcore Fantasy – Chapter 29: The land of the ancients [IV]
144 3 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After Elizabeth gave a lengthy explanation about the world and touched superficially on the topic of the war, the twins eventually calmed down.

 

Shock was still present in their faces but they were quieter now, probably because more than an hour passed but they didn’t “wake up”, shattering the possibility of this being a dream.

 

David glanced at his sister and the latter did the same – they shared one line of thought.

 

They were screwed.

 

A whirlpool of emotions surged in their hearts, fear and anxiety slowly creeping in.

 

Xia – completely ignoring the twins – poked Akihiko’s cheek.

 

“Tsk, tss?”

 

“…” – The latter contemplated for a bit, wondering if now was a good time.

 

Focusing his senses on Elizabeth, he noticed her slightly irregular heartbeat, and the faint scent of sweat oozing from her, and heard her impatient and repeatedly tapping her foot on the ground, wanting to finish the situation with the twins. Therefore, he decided to postpone it for now.

 

“Tss, tsk, tssk.”

 

“Tsk, tsk.” – Xia nodded in understanding.

 

“Tssss, tsk, tsk?”

 

“Tsk, tss, tsk, tsk.”

 

She joined her index and middle fingers.

 

With the barely audible sound of the earth moving, one of the walls in the room split open before revealing a smaller room with two “beds”.

 

The walls were simpler – just dirt – and it was apparently made because Akihiko asked for it, thus resulting in the room being devoid of any welcoming decoration or atmosphere – it looked like a cell but without bars.

 

“Tsk?”

 

“Tss. Tsk.”

 

“Tsk~”

 

“Aki?” – Elizabeth turned in his direction upon noticing the new addition to the room.

 

Moving his hands, Akihiko conveyed his line of thought to her.

 

“A separate room, huh? Indeed, it would be better for them to get used to things first.”

 

“Yes, I also think it would be better to give them some time alone.” – Nyza suggested – “They seem to be having some problems right now.”

 

As Nyza said, the twins were struggling to both accept their current situation and absorb Elizabeth’s explanations.

 

They seemed out of themselves, absentmindedly gazing at the wall or ceiling.

 

“I agree.” – Olivia chimed in.

 

“Hu-Hum, me too.”

 

“I guess this is it for them, at least for today.” – Elizabeth commented before turning to the twins – “Leila, David. That room over there is yours. We will give you some time alone for you to process everything. If you need anything call me or anyone else with your bio-systems.”

 

David snapped out of his daze before nodding and getting up. His face lost its previous easy-going and wonder-filled expression, his eyes no longer shone with excitement – somberness now loomed in them.

 

“Okay, and thank you, Elizabeth.” – Leila also got up and performed a light bow, prompting her big breasts to bounce – “Really.” – She then walked toward the room with her brother – her steps wobbly and filled with uncertainty.

 

Her face retained the calmness she showed before but now her expression was that of someone lost – even the light in her eyes seemed to have dimmed down compared to before.

 

‘Their situation is terrible.’ – Elizabeth’s master commented in her mind – ‘At this rate, I can’t see any other ending for them aside from death.’

 

Elizabeth said nothing but she shared the same opinion.

 

And even without asking, she knew everyone else in the group thought the same.

 

Not having any memories was as good as being dead.

 

The person can’t use their magic because they don’t remember their spells, and can’t exert their full potential in close combat since they only have muscle memory in the best-case scenario.

 

‘However, this isn’t our problem. We just need to bring them back.’ – Elizabeth found their situation worthy of sympathy, however, that was it.

 

‘True.’

 

If the twins were fit to survive in this world, they would do so. If not, they wouldn’t lose much, considering the state of this world.

 

“Akihiko, what were you talking with Xia earlier?” – Nyza asked curiously.

 

While he responded, Olivia got up and walked to the bed.

 

“He says she asked if we wanted to learn part of the answers now.”

 

“Part of the answers?”

 

“…” – Elizabeth maintained an intrigued expression.

 

“W-What?” – Beatrix blinked her eyes while her face morphed into a confused one – “H-He said that according to her, there’s a specific time for some parts of the “node” to be accessible.”

 

“The node?” – Nyza parroted.

 

“He says it’s the thing with the portal above it.”

 

“Oh, that?”

 

As Elizabeth was about to speak, a sigh stopped her.

 

*Sigh*

 

An audible sigh broke the seriousness of the conversation.

 

Turning their eyes to the source, the group saw Olivia lying down on the bed with a comfortable expression on her face.

 

“This is surprisingly good.”

 

“…” – Elizabeth observed her for a moment longer before turning back to the group – “If those “specific times” aren’t something rare or that takes too long, we can postpone it for now.”

 

“I agree.”

 

“…” – Beatrix turned to look at Akihiko and Xia alternatively.

 

“Tsk, tsk, tsk, tsk?”

 

“Tss, tss.”

 

“Tsk?”

 

“Tsk, tssk, tss, tsk.”

 

“Tsk.”

 

Xia moved her fingers again and the ground elevated in some parts, forming enough beds for the rest of the group.

 

Akihiko explained the conversation’s contents before walking toward one of the beds and sitting down on it.

 

‘Comfy…’ – He found it oddly comfortable and soft, not what he thought earth would feel like.

 

“He said that those specific times aren’t rare and happen every day. He also asked her if she could make more beds for us.”

 

“That’s ok. Let’s rest for four hours before moving again.”

 

“That’s fine for me.” – Olivia commented.

 

“That’s also fine for me.”

 

“M-Me too.”

 

“It’s decided then. We’ll take turns in watch duty.” – Elizabeth did a quick division of the time on watch duty and verifying that no one was unsatisfied, she let the others rest.

 

“Tsk, tss, tsss, tsk.”

 

Sensing that things were back on a calmer track now, Akihiko explained the situation to Xia before lying down on the bed.

 

“Tss, tsk, tss.” – Xia smiled in understanding before walking out of the room.

 

“Tss, tsk, tsk. Tsk?”

 

“Tsk.”

 

With one last click of her tongue, a wall with a hole appeared between the main room and the one the twins were using.

 

After Xia exited the room, Akihiko checked the twins’ heartbeats and found them normal.

 

Lying his head on the earth, he felt a wave of exhaustion wash over him – his eyelids, even though closed, felt heavier. His head throbbed from time to time – not enough to be called a headache but it still caused mild annoyance.

 

Gradually, his senses receded and the mental image he had of his surroundings became blurrier.

 

‘Annoying mental skills…’

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

*Slap*

 

“…”

 

*Slap*

 

“…”

 

*Slap*

 

“…”

 

“Tsk! He isn’t talking.”

 

“I can see it.”

 

In a dimly light room, a man wearing a black sack on his head grumbled while continuously slapping a seemingly 7-year-old Akihiko.

 

“Remember to not go too far. Even if he is part of that clan, he is still a child.” – A woman with a red dress spoke to the man – “I don’t want to lose my only clue.”

 

“Yes, ma’am.”

 

*Slap*

 

“…”

 

“Oi, boy. I know you’re trying to be strong here but you have nothing to gain from it.”

 

“…”

 

“Your whole clan is dead, by now they are either being looted by thieves or in the belly of some monster.”

 

Akihiko’s ears twitched and his fists tightened slightly yet his face remained devoid of any expression.

 

“…” – The man’s fists trembled.

 

“…”

 

“I guess that’s as much progress we will make today.” – The woman got up and dusted her dress.

 

“Yes, ma’am.”

 

“As for you, Nameless’ boy.” – Her gaze shifted to a cold glare – “I expect more progress tomorrow. Healers are too expensive, so don’t make me waste my money.”

 

“…”

 

“Just remember my advice.”

 

Finishing what she wanted to say, she walked out of the room with her high heels clicking against the ground.

 

After the woman vanished from view, the man stopped bowing and straightened his back.

 

“Hey.”

 

*Swoosh*

 

*Clang*

 

*Crack*

 

A single swift jab hit Akihiko straight in the face, producing a sickening cracking sound after his head hit the hard metal of the wall behind him.

 

Letting his fist on the other party’s face for a little longer, the man eventually took his hand back – blood running down his gloved hand.

 

“There’s more for you tomorrow.”

 

Akihiko still showed no reaction, even with his nose broken and blood running down his face.

 

He just used one basic technique from his clan to stop the bleeding.

 

“Tsk.”

 

Frustrated, the man walked out, closing the heavy metal door and drowning the room in darkness.

 

The stuffy air and lack of anything in the room gave Akihiko a foreboding feeling – like the door could open at any time and the torture session would resume again.

 

*Pop*

 

With a loud popping sound, a droplet of water hit the ground – the silence heightening its volume to an agonizing degree.

 

*Pop*

 

Another droplet hit the ground and burst into particles.

 

The droplets kept falling, not stopping.

 

This was another of the duo’s attempts to make him speak.

 

*Pop*

 

Akihiko’s feline ears twitched.

 

*Pop*

 

The fur on his tail stood on end – the sound had become a smidge of agony for him in the past few days he had been there.

 

‘Mom, dad…’

 

*Pop*

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

‘I will repay your love and care for me.’

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

*Pop*

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

##############

Akihiko’s statuses

##############

 

Time: 01:46:41

 

Mood: Mentally tired / Focused / On guard / Slight discomfort (caused by the injury on his arm) / Irritated

 

##############

 

----------------

Hope you have enjoyed the chapter!

 

If you want to support my job, consider buying me a coffee at: https://ko-fi.com/kyle_kingsmaker.

 

It costs only $1.

---------------

 

6