Chapter 26
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Took a bit longer than expected but here is another chapter. 

I created a few additional images for the story but as I don't want you to skip back to search for them I put them here. 

A picture of Charlotte, including her Scar

Spoiler

imageShe hasn't worn that dress yet but I uploaded the picture to show the scar she is so conscious of.

[collapse]

 

A Picture of Kate Winter arriving on the Dragon (A close up Picture of her is in the chapter)

Spoiler

image

[collapse]

 

A picture of Augustus Black 

Spoiler

imageHe hasn't worn those clothes so far but I thought it would be nice to at least have a picture of him.

[collapse]

After Will left, I quickly pulled out a dress. I didn’t take too much time picking this time, as I didn’t really care, and I knew that, with a few exceptions, all my dresses were at least decent. And as luck wanted it, I picked quite a fancy black dress with red cuffs, ruffles, and bottoms. But while trying to wiggle my arm through the long sleeve, I decided that something less attention-grabbing was needed and quickly changed to the normal plain black school uniform.

Unless I was completely wrong, Kate Winter will attend breakfast today, and I don’t want to look like an oddball to her. At least not more than necessary. And Edward will be there too. Damned, screw that guy.

“Good morning, my lady.” Said Archimedes, failing to hide a big grin.

“Shut up, Archie. Or do you think I didn’t hear what you said to Will? Why can you just be decent for once?” I knew the question was useless. You can’t change the personality of a picture, a stature, or anything that was imbued like that. After completing a piece of art like that, the personality was fixed, and I didn’t hear of anyone who wasn’t involved in the creation process influencing the picture afterwards. It was paradoxical because the pictures could actually learn something new, and just their personalities would remain as their creator imagined them.

“No need to feel embarrassed, my lady. It’s the most natural thing in the world. Ah, you grew up so fast. I remember it like it was yesterday when I was first tasked with keeping guard at your door. You were such an innocent, almost lovely little girl…” Was it really necessary to whip fake tears away? Why does he have to be so overly dramatic all the time? Does he really think Will and I…? How much can he hear from here anyway?

“The next time, just keep it to yourself.” I threw him a glare that I was sure would signal him that I would find the most annoying place for him in the castle if he didn’t stop now.

I left him as he was covering his mouth with his hand, pretending to be silenced.

I picked up Will on my way to the great hall and asked him to cast a cleaning spell on both of us. It was his fault; I hadn’t been able to take a bath, so it was the least he could do. Well, not that I blame him, but I just didn’t want to feel dirty during breakfast.

The great hall wasn’t in its usual disorder, and the tables formed a large “U”. The founders weren’t there yet, and I could hear a few students speculating what the reason for the change was. The seats at the head were empty, and I could see small cards that said that those places were reserved. It was an odd experience. No one had ever “reserved” a seat in the great hall. Not even if some pesky noble family head came over. But if Kate Winter visits, I guess it isn’t too abnormal.

Will and I took a place close to the head. I was a bit annoyed, but the closest ones were already taken because we were a bit late compared to the others. But at least Will’s roommates sat opposite us. I tried to ignore their “proud” grins towards Will and even the repetitive raising of their eyebrows as if to ask him something. It wasn’t that I was ashamed of what I did, but the thought that the whole school would probably know soon made me uncomfortable. I poked Will in the side to get his attention and whispered into his ear that he should stay quiet. I knew that it would only let them guess more, but guessing was not knowing.

I returned my attention to the entrance. The founders and Kate must arrive at any moment. Hopefully, maybe I could ask mother so that I can talk to Kate. It would be sooo awesome.

After some time, after every student had arrived, I saw Uncle Severin arriving with a whole entourage of people. Behind him came mother who was talking to the old, grim looking man with the walking stick, followed by Gregor, who was talking to a blond woman with a severe burn on the left side of her face. She looked barely older than some of the students, and next to Gregor, she looked even more like a little girl. From the newspaper articles and pictures I had seen, I immediately knew that this was the one and only Kate Winter. She carried herself with the same pride as the other founders. As if no one could do anything to her, no matter what she did. And the dark adventurer clothes with the dragonscale underarmor looked so cool. I just hope the jerk isn’t going to flirt with her. Or maybe he should. Her dragon is famous for eating a few annoying suitors of hers. Even though I’m not sure if those are just rumors or if that truly happened.

Behind them were Seraphina and Edward. Seraphina, for once, looked like she was enjoying herself as she talked with him. I’m sure she was happy that her favorite student had returned. If she could show half the smile when talking to Helena, the poor girl would be twice as happy.

Uncle was standing in the middle at the head of the table and tipped his wand against a crystal glass. The pinging noise echoed a few times through the hall, and even the murmuring students were silenced.

“Good morning, everybody. As you have most certainly noticed, we have a few newcomers. But before I introduce them, I think a small explanation might be necessary. For all those who haven’t heard about it yet, a war between us, witches and wizards, and a religious order of the Nowitz is brewing. It is uncertain how long the brittle peace we have will be able to last as the conflicts between us are becoming more and more violent.” Uncle paused for a second to let this information sink in, “Toadwitz, since its founding, has been neutral and unpolitical, but even we can’t escape the consequences of a war. So, after careful consideration and many requests from most of your families, we agreed to expand our curriculum to prepare you for what hopefully will never come.” Uncle’s disapproval and hesitations about sending students to war became clearer from his tone than from his words.

“To make this possible, we hired five new professors, who are known to be at the top of their fields. Allow me to introduce you to Professor Hector Castle, your teacher for the healing arts; Professor Kate Winter, your professor for survival and magical creatures; and Professor Edward Riddle, your teacher for magical engineering, as well as the fundamentals of magic up to the fourth grade, instead of Professor Nightquill. Professor Victoria Butler as well as Assistant Professor Eugen Rommel will arrive tomorrow. Professor Butler will teach Infiltration and Investigation, and Assistant Professor Rommel will teach you about Nowitz military strategy and will assist Professor Lionheart in his lesson about Defense Against Mundane Weapons. With the exception of the fundamentals of magic and defense against mundane weapons, all other curses are electable and not mandatory. The teaching professors can decide the requirements for those courses by themselves.” Severin’s gaze shifted to the professor with the walking stick in the elegant but simple blue robe, who looked like he hated being there. “Professor Castle, please introduce yourself to the students.”

Professor Castle nodded and walked slowly next to Uncle Severin. Despite his limping he looked a little intimidating with his grim expression.

Spoiler

image

[collapse]

 

“Healing, the art of saving people, is probably the most misunderstood magic. Too many fools who merely dabbled in it and called themselves healers ran around and ruined people’s lives by using spells they didn’t understand for illnesses they never heard about. If you want to learn how to heal someone, I expect you to give it your all and not become fools like those people. Anyone who shows me that he is not willing to do that will be dismissed from any of my courses. During your studies under me, you will often feel like I’m unfair, mean, or extreme. You will curse me in your sleep or blatantly in my face. I don’t care. The only thing I care about is that, at the end of your studies, you don’t cause more harm than good. So, in the first year, you won’t be learning anything beyond healing a few scratches from me and instead learning the methods to diagnose a patient. Something that you will continue to learn for the rest of your career if you really wish to be a healer. Because only if you know what your patient has can you help him. And if I think you aren’t ready for it, you won’t learn healing magic the year after that either, or the year after that. So do your best or stop trying. That is all.”

“Haha, what a first impression, Hector.” Said Severin a little awkwardly, as he probably hadn’t expected such an introduction. Or maybe he did, because the guy didn't look like he would pretend to do anything else. I was unsure what to think of the guy. But I would probably take a look at his class anyway. Maybe he had a method to heal my arm, and maybe he could help with a few other issues, even if I won’t be able to become a healer.

“Edward, will you go next?”

“Sure,” said Edward, and I could hear a few girls close to me murmuring how good he looked and that they would definitely pick his class. They will surely be disappointed when they learn that he is already married to that girl he got together with in school. And even if he wasn’t he wasn’t a womanizer like Augustus.

Spoiler

image

[collapse]

 

“So first of all, I want to say it’s an honor for me that the professors think so highly of me and want me to teach here. You must know that I was one of the first students that Toadwitz accepted fifteen years ago and that the castle had become somewhat of a second home for me at that time. So, when I got the offer, I didn’t have to think long about it and immediately accepted it. But enough about me. Magical engineering is quite a diverse field that utilizes many different branches of magic. So, the requirement to attend my classes is that you have at least finished the fourth grade with above-average grades in the fundamentals of magic, previously taught by Professor Nightquill, and transfiguration, taught by Professor Lionheart. If you are below the fourth grade and have excellent grades in these two subjects, you can come to me, and I will test you if you think that you could elect the course ahead of time. That is all for now.”

Well, I didn’t plan to attend his classes, even if I could. And getting those grades without using magic is practically impossible.

“It’s my turn now, isn’t it?” Oh, it's Kate. Finally.

Spoiler

image

[collapse]

 

“I’m Kate Winter, and I’m happy to be here. Ahm, I... I will teach you how to survive in the wilderness, how to read tracks, how to take care of all kinds of animals, and even how to contract magical beasts. While Magical Creatures and Survival are two separate courses, I encourage you to take both as they complement each other well. As anyone can learn about those things, these courses don’t have any requirements. Thanks for listening.” She sat down as quickly as she had gotten up.

What was that? She almost looked... nervous? Why would Kate Winter be nervous? Don’t tell me she is like Seraphina and has a problem with large crowds. Okay, never mind. Everyone can have a weakness. I’m sure her lessons will be awesome, so I will definitely elect them. I just hope they don’t collide with the potion lessons I give.

“Thank you all. While Professor Butler and Rommel are not here, they asked me to tell you that anyone is welcome to apply to their courses, but they reserve the right to dismiss anyone they think is unfit for their courses. Now, I’m sure you have a lot to discuss, but don’t forget to enjoy your breakfast. The schedule for the new classes will be stuck to the blackboard before lunch. You can apply to the courses by your house teacher or who teaches the subject.” Said Severin and discussions started immediately all over the great hall. No one really cared for breakfast. Well, except for me, but I already knew what courses I wanted to take.

“Will, what are you going to choose? I will definitely pick magical creatures. Contracting a beast is just too useful. I mean, if you find a beast that can fly while carrying you, transportation won’t be an issue anymore. Do you think your parents would let me contract a dragon from your farm? I mean, even if they don’t count as true dragons, it would be absolutely badass to ride a wyvern.” Asked Red who was sitting opposite me.

“Ahm, I don’t think my parents would allow something like that. Besides, would you even be able to pay for that? Do you know what a wyvern costs? Not to mention, to contract a beast, the beast itself must be willing to accept the contract. So even if you have the money, the wyverns we have would probably roast you as soon as you enter their territory.” Answered Will, crushing Red's dream instantly.

“You never know, Will. And I can still dream, can’t I? Maybe, with a bit of luck, I will find a dragon egg during the holidays. So, what will you choose?” A bit of luck? If that is a bit of luck, then a truly lucky person would become invincible just because he wishes so. I think even if Uncle eventually succeeds with the luck potion, hoping that a dragon egg somehow lands in your pockets would be plain stupid.

I stopped thinking about the absurdity and looked at Will because I too wanted to know what he would choose. It would be nice to have classes with him. I never had classes with people I liked, so maybe it would be nice if he chose Kate’s lessons too. At least one of them.

“Well, if a war really is coming, I think choosing Rommel’s classes might be the most useful. Survival also sounds interesting. Healing would be interesting, but I don’t see myself investing so much time that Professor Castle would teach me anything useful. Magical engineering is interesting, but I think I will pass on that. I’m more of a user than a creator when it comes to things like that. And I don’t think I would be good at infiltration or investigation. I mean, my last attempts at investigating someone were subpar at best.”

His hand grabbed mine under the table, and I realized that he meant his poor attempts to find out about my past. He definitely shouldn’t pick that class; he has no talent for it. I mean, I’m glad he did it, but I think this investigation has twisted his view of me. For the good and the bad. Should I ask him about it in detail to clear up all fake news to prevent any more misunderstandings, or should I just hope for the best? Okay, I know I should talk about it, but we had so many talks about our problems that I don’t want to create more drama than necessary. Hopefully, that is the right decision.

“Will you pick something too?” He turned his full attention to me. Why does he think I wouldn’t pick anything? I’m still a normal student, so naturally, I would pick a course. Okay, maybe not the most normal student, but still a student. And if someone has time to pick those courses, it would be me.

“I will definitely take Kate’s courses, but I think those healing courses might be interesting as well. I mean, if something ever happens to you, it would be good to be able to patch you up in a blink. And it didn’t sound like magic was the most important thing for this course. At least in the first year.”

“Should we really be discussing our courses if a war is brewing? Do you really think they would let students fight? Besides, why is a war with the Nowitz such a big thing?” asked Keith, joining the discussion.

Should I tell them about the prophecy? It would probably be better if I didn't. I don’t want anyone to join the war and get himself killed because they think they are the hero from the prophecy.

“Uncle said there are hundreds of thousands of followers of that religion, and some of them have weapons that can kill you if you are not careful. So yes, the war is a big thing. And if the war hasn’t started yet, it is not unlikely that you will have already graduated before the war ends. I don’t believe actual students would really “need” to fight.” Well, so much should be public knowledge.

“Did your uncle tell you anything more?” asked Keith, leaning over the table a bit.

Well, unless I want to tell them about the different fractions in the war, I think I can’t say anything anymore without revealing something that isn’t common knowledge. I should probably ask Uncle before I say anything. I don’t want to be at fault if some of his plans go to ruin because I couldn’t keep my mouth shut.

"No, not really.” Okay, since when do I lie so badly? Even Will looks doubtful at me. I don’t even know if I know anything useful. Don't question me any further.

I hope you liked the chapter despite the infodumbs about the characters. 

Except the two other professors I won't be introducing new characters any time soon and i hope its not too confusing. I just think that to make a world feel alive you have to have a lot of characters that interact with each other. But the characters mentioned till now all have a concrete role in the story so they are not just unimportant side npcs. 

0