Knowledge behind fading leads VIII
28 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The thunderous applause from the crowd worsens the throbbing behind my temples. Bellro turns in a circle several times with his arms outstretched, bows and takes the praise he doesn’t deserve on his own – even though he is an excellent trainer. The dismissive hiss of the last-placed player sends a brief shiver down my spine. In the next moment, we are all herded back into the waiting room, where two new trainers are already waiting for their turn. The rest of this group will probably come later.

Only when Bellro and I arrive in the entrance area and the nausea in my stomach has subsided a little does the reason for this theatre come to the fore again. The fight disappears behind curiosity about what this guy knows about the black Rayquaza, and after all the hardships he’s put me through in battle, it’s fair to ask him before Amethio shows up.

“What information do you have?” Crossing my arms in front of my chest, I stand still. Bellro does the same, tilts his head and rolls his eyes briefly, as if I’ve made an unusually stupid joke.

“Impatient like Ammy. You two seem to have sought and found each other.”

I wouldn’t say that Amethio is impatient, but I don’t know him well enough to know what makes him tick. So this guy in front of me could be right – I don’t know. Maybe he’s just impatient when he has to deal with Bellro. So I just raise a brow.

“You’re looking for the black Rayquaza, I’m told,” he continues in a hushed tone. “This creature landed on the volcano not so long ago. It seems to have been looking for something there. Some hikers who climbed the volcano could hear its screams. Angry screams.” His grin fades. “This Pokémon is really pissed off, and whatever it wants, it’s not going to be satisfied with just flying around and screaming when it doesn’t like something. Rayquaza is a powerful Pokémon, and this anomaly is hardly going to be an exception.”

Lips pressed together, I don’t even want to think about the damage this Pokémon could do if it’s actually consumed by rage. When I first saw it, it seemed like a creature that was just looking for something. Now, however, its mind seems tense and I don’t want to know how long it will stay that way.

“If you want to look for traces and clues, climb the volcano and have a look. If you can’t find anything there, I can only recommend the Lush Jungle,” Bellro continues as he runs his fingers through his black hair. “It’s dark there and hardly anyone dares to go in because the Pokémon are prone to pranks, and it’s easy to get lost. If Rayquaza wants to sleep off its anger or is simply looking for a dark place before it flies on, that’s where it will be.”

His words sound like the first, real possibility of meeting Rayquaza again. Only the thought of meeting this Pokémon in the darkness of a jungle makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end. But I don’t get a chance to say thank you or anything clever before Amethio steps out from behind Bellro. I simply missed him before.

“So it’s still on this island?”

“One hundred per cent sure, Ammy!” Another grin settles on Bellro’s features before he puts an arm around my shoulders again. “As sure as the fact that the sugar doll here has talent in battle – even if she is sometimes rash. She’s an enrichment to your team. Where did you get her from? Did the leadership say they were sending you an angel, or did she fall into your lap?”

Instead of answering, Amethio turns and heads for the exit as if Bellro isn't worth a second thought. The information about the Rayquaza is more important. An action I can only agree with as I disengage from Bellro and unceremoniously thank him for his efforts. Then I hurry after my companion and as soon as I find myself next to him, he hands me the two Poké Balls I’ve entrusted to him. They join Pikipek’s in a flash.

“What do we do now? Shall we go back to the shelter and tell Conia and Lillie to come with us?” The reception on the island seems to have improved, but you never know. It would mean we’d have to walk a long way back, but that’s better than not letting anyone in on it.

“No need.” Amethio doesn’t even bother to worry as he strides down the path to the Royal Dome. The Pokémon Center a few metres ahead invites us to take a few cool breaths of air – maybe even a little lemonade in the integrated café. But my companion takes the path to the left instead.

My breath catches when I see a road leading straight to the volcano. A quick glance at my Rotom reveals that it’s now lunchtime – one o’clock. That means there’s still plenty of time left in the day, but I don’t think we can survive a hike without provisions. So I grab the sleeve of his shirt and force him to stop.

Amethio’s focus is so firmly anchored on the volcano that it takes a few breaths before he can relax the tense posture of his shoulders and look at me as if I am the boring post with yesterday’s daily reports. Still, I force myself to smile slyly.

“We should at least buy some water and make sure we have something to eat when we rest.”

He looks up at the volcano once more before giving a curt nod. “It’ll be a while before we get to the top.”

“Probably. Two or three hours ... if I had to guess.”

“Ten minutes if we’re flying,” Amethio adds, and my heart jumps an octave.

Surely, I can easily get through a hike in the ankle-high brown boots Lillie got for me. The soles are thick and my energy is there, but Amethio isn’t equipped for hiking. He probably has no problem going up there in these clothes, but the heat is burning and Rayquaza won’t wait for us for hours. Even if Corviknight will have slight difficulties in the heat, it’s wiser to rely on a Flying-type Pokémon right now than on your own legs.

Amethio is probably thinking the same thing as he calls his Pokémon and the gentle croak of Corviknight reaches me. It’s beautiful and, for a moment, the thought of flying on a Pokémon of this type myself is extremely tempting. However, I’ve already found out from my Pokédex research that Pikipek’s evolutions won’t be much help in this area. It’s far too small to fly on.

Still in my thoughts, I only vaguely notice Amethio holding out his hand for me. He is already sitting on his Corviknight and the invitation he silently offers me triggers an unfamiliar tingling sensation under my skin.

I am allowed to fly!

The next breath finds its way deep into my lungs as I try to brace myself for what’s coming. I’ve never seen the world from above and even though I’ll be sitting behind Amethio, it doesn’t change the fact that I’m about to experience a tiny adventure – at least for my heart.

Determined, I grab his hand and let him pull me onto the back of his Pokémon. I immediately wrap my arms around Amethio’s waist. The feathers of this bird offer little comfort and yet harbour a certain softness you would expect from such wings. They graze my bare calves and also part of my arms, where the scratches now leave pink patches under the crust. Then, without a word from Amethio, the bird takes to the air and my stomach presses down – at least according to the nausea forcing me to lean my forehead against Amethio’s shoulder. Throwing up would only cause them to drop me back to the ground. Not my thing from the sudden height.

It takes a moment to disengage from Amethio’s shoulder and look at the world below. The wind tugs at my hair, as it did on the roof, and my hands clutch tighter at the fabric my companion is wearing. All I can hear from him is a faint sigh.

Voices come at me in a matter of seconds, press themselves into my skull, and disappear completely in the next blink of an eye. Goosebumps remain.

Within a few seconds, the mountain is within reach and it is suddenly very easy to follow the path upwards – at least my eyes quickly reach the top. Every breath is easier than the one before. The air up here is different – thinner, but full of ideas and fantasies I’d love to indulge in.

Distant shimmering draws my attention to a point slightly behind the peak, and before I know it, I’m addressing Amethio. “Do you see that?”

“What are you talking about?”

“The thing th-“ I want to point at it, but the dot that had previously mesmerised me has disappeared. So I lower my hand and remain silent. Fortunately, Amethio doesn’t ask questions.

Once again my gaze wanders over the world below us and it’s easy to notice that Corviknight is aiming for one of the highest points, which has been marked out with gates, as if there really is something to see.

Half in thought, I reach for the Rotom Phone and open a map of the island. If I’m at least half right, then we’re heading for the Wela Volcano Park right now – a notably dry patch of withered grass that’s still reasonably robust.

When we land, the damn heat of the island, the sun, and the volcano sticks to me twice as much as before. Even Amethio’s collar shows a thin, dark rim of sweat within a few seconds. So he’s not completely immune to this hellish weather after all.

In stark contrast to the man who immediately sets his sights on us as soon as Corviknight is back in the Poké Ball.

Dark brown skin and brown hair with patches of red push their way into my view and the skimpy clothes on the stranger’s body make me raise my eyebrows. Thanks to the heat, it’s understandable why he leaves his upper body bare, showing off every muscle beneath sweaty movements – yet it’s something you probably don’t see anywhere else, if not necessarily in private gardens or swimming pools.

“Welcome!” Hands on his hips so his claw-like shoulder tattoos are clearly visible, he juts out his chin. “I am Kiawe. You’re here to see the Marowak dance, aren’t you?”

“The ... what?” My disbelief rises as Amethio lifts his hand.

“We’re here because we were told a black Dragon-type Pokémon was here.”

Kiawe puts a hand to his chin thoughtfully. “I definitely haven’t seen it.”

It’s one of those statements we should have expected, but it remains disappointing. Rayquaza is supposed to have been here and yet no one has seen it. You’d think we are chasing a shadow.

“But if you’re already here, you should check out the Marowak dance. These Pokémon perform it with ... pride.” Before Amethio can protest, Kiawe lets out a loud whistle. In the next moment, three Marowaks position themselves on a small rocky elevation and take up their poses.

They definitely look different from the ones I remember from Johto. Or the one from Bellro. Their bodies are darker, their gazes more serious, and their bones are wrapped in ghostly flames reminding me distantly of Ceruledge’s aura. Then they start dancing, and even Amethio has no choice but to show some basic courtesy.

At least, that’s my first thought. My second involves nothing more than a surprised twitch as his fingers wrap around my wrist and he turns round. Just like that. The Marowaks have barely lifted their bones to wow us. Amethio’s frustration at the lack of information is probably greater than that of a Jigglypuff in front of a sleeping audience. I can hardly blame him. The Marowaks, however, do it long before Kiawe can warn us that disappearing is a bad idea.

A distant shout from the dancers makes the withered, knee-high grass rustle, and it only takes the blink of an eye before we are surrounded by black Pokémon – one of them particularly large. The Rotom perceives it as a job offer, which is why it rises and prepares us for what threatens us – albeit rather late.

Salandit. Toxic Lizard Pokémon.” I swallow at this statement. “Poison/Fire-type Pokémon. Produces poison gas from its bodily fluids, which is dizzying. It is led here by Salazzle of the same species and type. Evolution of Salandit. According to research, there are only females among them, which are worshipped by the male Salandits. The pheromone gas they emit is diluted and used as a perfume in industry. Salazzles stun their enemies with poison gas and then beguile them to use them as servants later.”

“All I hear is poison!” My shoulders slump. If there’s one thing I’m not in the mood for, it’s another rendezvous with poisonous substances likely to harm my Pokémon. This also means I’d rather run away than throw one of my partners into this absurd scenario.

“I actually wanted to warn you...” Kiawe interjects, before reaching into his dark red shorts and pulling out a Poké Ball. “These Marowaks performing their dance here... they’re nice, but they don’t like it when you don’t appreciate their acts.”

It’s impossible not to cast a quick glance in Amethio’s direction, sweat beading on his brow.

“They have made friends with the Salandits here and Salazzle takes great pleasure in the dances of these three... So... this was to be expected,” he finally finishes, before scratching the back of his head. In these seconds, he barely looks older than Amethio – he lacks the confidence of a proper adult who should have all these things under control.

“Does that mean we have to fight this group?”

“Otherwise they will punish us for our ... your offence,” Kiawe confirms, and a quick sideways glance at my companion reveals his clenched fists holding together the last bit of patience he can muster.

Still, I refuse to take out my Pokémon. Instead, I turn to Amethio, whose gaze wanders over the mass of Salandits. The sweet scent spreading through the air makes my heart beat faster, and the fear that this is what lurks like a memorial in the back of my mind makes me take two steps in his direction before I grab him by the arm. His attention immediately swings towards me and the mere sight of me brings a gleam to his eyes, wordlessly commenting on my presumably chalk-white skin.

“Can’t we just run away with Corviknight?” There’s no need to fight. Kiawe probably knows these Pokémon better than we do, and he’ll be able to tame them better than we can.

“They’ll attack as soon as we try. Corviknight won’t get away fast enough.” Amethio’s answer is terribly simple and yet something I don’t want to admit. A fight against a bunch of Pokémon that will probably beat us with sheer mass is hopeless.

The thought circles mercilessly in my head as my breaths become shorter and my footing unsteady. Amethio also forces himself to take deep breaths, while the edge of his collar is now a dark shade of grey. Mist clings loosely to our skin and the only one who doesn’t seem to have any problems in all this is Kiawe.

“You should leave,” the stranger suggests in the same breath. “I’m immune to the poison, and I can hold them off until you’re gone.”

It would be appropriate to ask what will become of him then – for the sake of kindness. But no matter how I turn it, I just want to get out of here. Amethio hardly seems to feel any different as he lets Corviknight out of his ball, grabs me by the arm and we both fly up. Our escape is immediately met with resistance. Salazzle points at us and the horde of Salandits chases straight in our direction. Only Kiawe and his Flying-type Pokémon, a somewhat medium big, reddish bird, which manifests in the same blink of an eye, stand in the way.

A wing beat later, we are already in the air.

My hands tremble, still clutched tightly in Amethio’s top. The heat from his body tells me he’s probably no better off than I am. The best decision possible in these breaths is to fly back and put this behind us. Corviknight can’t stay in the air too long if we want to avoid leaving it completely drained under the biting heat of Alola. Yet, I cast a glance over my shoulder.

Kiawe is indeed confronting the pack, which is now attacking him as if he is the only dinner on the menu. His bird hurls small balls of fire at the lizards, but the crowd simply seems to swallow up all the heat. Wild wing beats carry it forwards and backwards, its body ramming some of its opponents, and Kiawe moves further and further backwards. It’s probably the first time he’s been attacked by so many Salandits at once, and yet I can’t imagine that these Marowaks he presents with so much love are really this ungrateful to him.

Indeed, it would be wisest to fly back to the Royal Dome. But I can’t take my eyes off the spectacle. The air up here makes it easier to breathe than between the poisonous clouds of mist on the ground, and as I clutch Amethio a little tighter, his attention seems to wander to our aide.

“We should help him,” I suggest, as soon as I’m sure the situation has reached my companion.

Amethio, however, only lets out a soft click of his tongue. He’s probably harbouring the same thought I had two seconds ago. But simply leaving Kiawe behind is impossible. We have to help him!

“Corviknight can’t carry a third person,” he then reveals to me. “Two are already more than enough.”

“Then we attack from above. Maybe Corviknight knows an attack?” I glance briefly at Amethio before turning my attention back to the battle. “Or I could send Pikipek in to help. Maybe my Growlithe could throw a few fireballs at the Salandits from up here.”

Once again, there is a brief silence between us. He doesn’t even seem to consider my suggestion. Instead, his eyes glide over the chaos below us and when he suddenly points to the Salazzle, it is clear he won’t go the extra mile, but will take the easiest route.

“Our target is the leader. If we force her to retreat, the Salandits will follow her.”

His thought actually sounds like a better method than what I had in mind, so I pull out Coro’s ball and release him into the air. His hasty wing beats and the way he tilts his head several times distracts him for a moment – until Corviknight lets out a caw running through every feather.

Pikipek immediately turns his head in my direction and follows my hand as I point at the Salazzle. “Attack it! But you cannot stay near her for too long. Attack and retreat, Coro. No more.”

He puffs himself up briefly before swooping down towards Kiawe, and I put some distance between me and Amethio. I still hold onto his shoulder with one hand, but otherwise I move far enough away to give Raya some space between us.

In a sitting position, she finds her footing on Corviknight’s back and when I give Amethio the “okay”, he guides his Pokémon down to the wild Salandits. The Marowaks, which had previously been standing on the dance floor, are now sitting behind the stone stage, their heads ducked as if they already know how dangerous a battle on this scale could be for them.

We chase just a few metres above the black crowd with their red stripes on their backs. Simultaneously, I give Raya the command for ember, so she shoots off a few Salandits – for the sake of Kiawe’s strange bird – before fixing her gaze on Salazzle.

A tense hissing sound echoes through the crowd, ringing in my ears and making me press my legs tighter against Corviknight. Vapour releases from Salazzle’s skin, forming small clouds threatening to rise towards us, causing Amethio’s Pokémon to gain a few metres in height. Heat eats through my clothes. Raya’s temperature only makes it worse, and yet neither of us can afford to lose concentration.

At the latest when Salazzle bares her teeth and tells us she’s going to destroy us, it’s Coro who rams his beak into her thigh. Immediately afterwards, he shoots upwards again, far away from the tantalising scents and poisonous mists. She hisses again, her nose quivering, and as Raya draws a breath for her next wave of fireballs, Salazzle seems to realise this fight isn’t one she can win. This spectacle is costing her more than she wants to give. It’s clear, considering how many of the Salandits already have scorch marks shimmering reddish through the black of their skin. The squeaking, hissing and groaning around the edges also shake her senses.

Consequently, Salazzle lifts her nose before letting out a rasping cry and the Salandits pause in their movements. It is only an instant, a moment of absolute stillness, before the black wave disappears with a tapping sound back into the tall, withered meadow as if it had never been there. Salazzle gives us one last look instead, before she too turns round and disappears. She is probably already plotting her revenge.

Meanwhile, Corviknight’s powerful wing beats clear the poisonous fog with little effort. It almost seems as if nothing has ever happened and we land on this spot for the first time. But as we get down and Amethio’s Pokémon lets out a huff, we realise the effort has taken its toll and we are once again in a place likely to cause us problems.

“I didn’t think ... you guys would help me out. You are amazing...!” Before Amethio can say a word about our situation, Kiawe has already arrived. The necklace around his neck, a strange construct made of pearl leaves and a talisman vaguely reminiscent of a shamrock, sways back and forth. “This would have been really difficult without you.”

His bird already seems to be back in the ball and Amethio doesn’t waste another minute before he calls Corviknight back and sets his sights on Kiawe. He isn’t interested in this stranger – he has too little information for that – but at least he isn’t going to just turn round again.

“Normally, the Marowaks avoid something like today.” A little more helpless than before, Kiawe scratches the back of his head. “But they’ve been practising for their new dance for so long that they’ve probably just become ... angry at the lack of interest.” He immediately raises his hands before laughing. “They probably would have intervened before it got worse.”

Certainly not. The three culprits are still sitting behind the rock of their dance floor, not moving. They would surely have waited for Kiawe to be carried off and then crawled quickly into their holes – wherever that might be.

“I can’t give you much to express my thanks. But a small gift you don’t have to look for yourself has its value, doesn’t it?” Without further ado, he rummages a crystal out of his shorts and everything in me wants to turn round and run away on the spot. The groan just about sticks to my tongue. “I have no idea where the Pokémon you’re looking for is, and I don’t know what the Z-Move is – if you’ve ever asked yourself that question – but maybe this will help you on your travels.”

With a reluctant smile, I hold out my hand to receive the crystal. The shiny rhomb, gleaming red and marked with a black flame, gives me hope it’s not completely useless. Not like the other three damned stones.

“A Firium Z. It can boost attacks enormously if you give it to a Fire-type Pokémon ... or a Pokémon with a Fire-type attack,” Kiawe explains. “Unfortunately, it’s the only one I have, but it’s better than none, isn’t it?”

Without further ado, I hold the crystal out to Amethio. After all, he was the one who used his Corviknight to save us, which also means he can probably use the crystal. On top, his Pokémon are much stronger than mine, which is likely to benefit the crystals. But my partner raises his hand in disapproval.

“You need it more,” is all he gives me back, and even though I should be grateful, the arrow in my heart is sorer than anything else. I realise I’m weak, but being told directly is definitely a low blow to my remaining dignity – even though he’s right.

“Fine.” Mouth twisted, I turn my attention to Raya, who has spent her time sniffing the ground. She is so engrossed in her task it takes a moment before she turns her attention to me.

When she settles down in front of me, I hold the crystal out to her and this time, I am rewarded with a reaction. As my Growlithe tilts her head, the crystal lights up. The red colour intensifies. The ring, which I have stuffed from one pocket to the next, vibrates gently and when I pull it out, the crystal shatters into thousands of pieces. The blood-red particles disappear into the fixture and before I know it, it is a simple red leather necklace adorning Raya’s neck. The gemstone, flame-like, gleams on her chest.

“Great! Looks like you now have a reason to wear this ring!” Kiawe’s enthusiasm makes me feel like I’ve finally taken a step forward, even if I have no idea what comes next. “It can be triggered with powerful emotions, but I think you already know that. That’s if you and your Pokémon are on the same wavelength and your emotion matches the element of your attack.”

So I probably need to become just as addicted to fighting as some trainers on this island. The conditions aren’t exactly favourable, I have to admit. But I should consider myself lucky. My abilities can take on an unimagined form with this. So I put the ring on my right middle finger.

“Would you like to watch the Marowak da-“

“We’re going.” Before Kiawe can fully express his offer, Amethio has already turned around. We have to escape the heat of the volcano and return to the Royal Dome. Our options in relation to Rayquaza’s stay aren't zero yet. We still have the Lush Jungle left!

1