Knowledge behind fading leads X
23 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I can’t see her eyes.

It’s as if a black bar is covering her gaze, while her face is nothing more than an unclear mosaic of black and white. Just like everything else in this place.

I don’t know if she is above me or if we are facing each other. Only the smile on her lips reassures me she is happy to see me.

It’s all right, Domino.” Her soft voice settles on my body. Part of my heart wants to cling to her, but the pain behind it takes my breath away.

I could ask her a thousand questions to put this picture back together – for the sake of clarity. But not a single word passes my lips. Every clear thought hangs vaguely between me and my body. We belong together and yet we are far from being one.

When she reaches out for me, I want to back away. She hasn’t answered my questions yet and letting a stranger touch me can’t be right. But my body doesn’t obey. Her fingertips graze my cheek, warm against my skin, and make my soul follow her affection. My head settles into her touch.

You don’t have to be afraid anymore,” she whispers. The corners of her mouth twitch. The smile fades.

What has happened?

Cawing sounds penetrate my consciousness in the background, unable to drown out the sudden, powerful crying of a child. My crying.

I am that child.

 

In the next breath, the oxygen seeps so deeply into my lungs that it burns. A cough escapes my throat and as my body rears up and the darkness is interrupted only by a small campfire, the barely perceptible dream sequence fades into oblivion. I can’t hold it any longer.

“What happened?” I rub my eyes several times before my gaze falls on Amethio. He is sitting cross-legged in front of the campfire, his interest only half turned in my direction.

“You inhaled the spores of a Morelull and fell asleep.” Eventually, he addresses me fully. “You’re lucky it was only a small amount.”

“Because?”

“You may never wake up again if you inhale too much of it.”

I swallow. This little mushroom looked anything but dangerous and yet it could have sent me into a very unpleasant sleep that probably surpasses Sleeping Beauty. Rumour has it that Sleeping Beauty’s condition was also triggered by a mysterious Pokémon she fell over in fright after pricking herself on a spindle. Presumably they are referring to Morelull.

When, out of nowhere, Raya’s wet nose nuzzles against my arm, I flinch. Then I catch sight of her and Ying, both freed from their Poké Balls.

“Why are we still here?” My brows lift. If Amethio released them, surely his plan was to get us out of here. With my Pokémon’s noses, that shouldn’t be a problem and yet here we are, sitting in front of a campfire, staring holes in each other’s bellies.

“Your Pokémon refused my orders.” His eyelids lower as he casts a frustrated glance at Ying. “At least they were willing to help with the fire.”

That’s better than nothing, though I have to admit I’m pleased by my Pokémon’s reluctance. I must be something special in their eyes. The one trainer they listen to without giving someone else a moment of their time. Sure, I feel sorry for Amethio too, but it’s his fault that we got lost in this jungle.

I pick myself up more cheerfully than before. It’s time we get out of this damned forest. But Amethio doesn’t move an inch and when I raise my eyebrows to ask, he sighs.

“We won’t see anything in this darkness.”

He sees right through me without me having to say anything. Mouth agape, I look around. It really is dark enough that you can’t see your hand in front of your eyes. Even the campfire seems to struggle to defend itself against the shadows. The glow of the Rotom Phone won't be enough; in addition, a glance at the display reveals the battery has barely more than two per cent left. The situation is unlikely to be any different for my companion; and with a torch, the risk of tripping and burning down the whole jungle is high. But I can feel the stinging in my stomach. The hunger is still there, and it doesn’t seem like it’s going to leave me in the near future. Without something to eat, this evening is going to be a long one. That said, this forest doesn’t look like it’s home to much food, which doesn’t provide a lot of resistance. So staying is not an option.

“If we go slowly, we can make it. We just have to stick together and ... show some patience.” I resolutely put my hands on my hips. “We can’t stay here. In the worst case, we’ll be attacked by Morelulls in our sleep and never wake up again ... or whatever.”

Amethio looks unconvinced. His eyes are fixed on me as if he’s communicating with a particularly uninteresting person. He probably believes less in our eternal sleep than in the security a night in the jungle gives us. However, like so many things, he has calculated without me.

It’s no use asking him for permission, so I turn to Zorua. Her dark figure disappears completely into the darkness and she has to approach the campfire so I can see her. Amethio’s words make sense, but there’s no way I’m going to spend the night in a thicket where I don’t know what’s trying to kill me next.

With pointed fingers, I pick up a branch from the campfire – one that still looks fresh and hasn’t been lying on the flames for too long. The wood is damp, not burning properly, and on closer inspection, I notice how much smoke is rising. Without moving the whole fire, it actually seems impossible to get out of here.

“Can you let Ceruledge out?”

“What are you up to?” By now Amethio’s brows have drawn together. He probably just wants to sit out the night in peace.

“It’s got a bit of fire to it, doesn’t it? Means you can see it and follow it. Ceruledge, in turn, can communicate with Zorua. That’s how we get out of here.”

For a moment, nothing happens. The wood cracks and the likelihood of him helping me out decreases with every passing second. Still, I tighten my shoulders and wait, silently hoping that he will give in.

And indeed, Amethio gives in to my idea. However, his sigh is so sharp I’m sure he’ll throw me out of the Explorers if it goes wrong. My life as half an adventurer hangs on these two Pokémon.

Ceruledge seems to have no problem recognising Ying’s gentle sounds. Amethio and I, in turn, can easily see his Pokémon. This gives us a chance, the trial of which begins when my companion extinguishes the campfire. Suddenly, it is so dark that only Ceruledge’s blades and the narrow outline of his face are visible. In the next breath, I feel something warm wrap itself tightly around my hand. My body flinches, my breath catches. I want to say something, but Amethio’s voice, so close to my side, soothes the terror. It’s not a wild Pokémon attached to me – just someone I’m stuck in this place with.

As Ceruledge starts to move, I follow, pulling Amethio gently behind me. We tiptoe through the Lush Jungle, always careful not to be attacked by wild Pokémon. But Ceruledge’s ghostly light seems to prevent them from even looking at us or forming a plan. They are there, you can hear them, but they emit no suspicious sounds or odours. This transforms the uncertain walk through engulfing darkness into a kind of twisted stroll in the middle of an invisible jungle. Endlessly. With a pounding heart, because every further step seems like a leap over the cliff.

Now and then I tighten my grip on Amethio’s fingers, take a deep breath, and release the tension. It’s impossible to stay calm and in some breaths, I wonder if Amethio feels the same.

Is the darkness scaring him?

Is he concentrating on our connection and on Ceruledge’s gleam?

In some seconds, the light of his Pokémon is blinding. It flickers. Twists and turns playfully in non-existent breezes. Rustling licks icy across my skin. My shoulders shake. Restlessness. The desire to run away. Faster. Slower. Stop and stand still. Hold my breath.

As I swallow, saliva runs down my throat, dry as dust. My stomach growls softly, and the pain makes me catch my breath. I tilt my head back and want to close my eyes for a moment – but I am distracted by the magnificent starry sky.

This time I pause, count the lights above me, and hardly dare to continue the thought. It takes two breaths before I look back ahead and the soft moonlight bathes the world in gentle brightness. Outlines can be recognised. Even Ying is easy to make out in the darkness.

“We’re out...” A breath escapes me. Immediately, I turn my attention to Amethio. He, too, looks at the sky for longer than necessary before focusing on me.

Moonlight shimmers in his eyes, giving them a lustre that captivates me. My mouth opens, but I can’t say anything. The seconds between us are silent. I want to give him a smile, but I don’t get the chance before he averts his eyes and slips his hand out of mine. The strange closeness in which we agreed for once disappears. What remains is a silent walk back along the winding paths. His Ceruledge disappears back into the ball. It somehow widens this strange gulf between us, so I leave Ying outside. Her quiet paws still eclipse her presence within a few minutes.

It is impossible to survey the surroundings and be happy about our success. My eyes are glued to Amethio’s back, to his easy gait, to the fact he has taken the lead in guiding us both safely the rest of the way to the lodging.

There’s no point in trying to talk to him; there's simply nothing more to say tonight. It’s probably because of the words I lost in the Lush Jungle; because I hear things he can’t and that rob him of facts provoking his proud and curious nature. The fact Rayquaza hasn’t given him a second thought only adds fuel to his flames. Blazing fire whose source I cannot identify. It’s probably a story that took place before we met. Perhaps it has something to do with his first meeting with Rayquaza. It can’t be ruled out, considering how much he’s stuck to this task. He is prepared to turn over every stone if it brings him even one step closer to this Pokémon.

His attitude is admirable and yet – what can I do to help? How can I live an adventure in the hands of the Explorers without feeling like a Snubbull on a leash because I don’t want some things about this journey as much as the others?

Maybe it’s a matter of habit.

Maybe I just need more time to adjust to this journey.

 


 W H I S P E R S


 

The tea supposed to help with my cramps tastes awful. The Petilil that gave its leaves to make it was either bad-tempered or ancient, judging by the flavour.

Wrinkling my nose, I scrutinise the green liquid, which I would prefer to give to the nearest potted plant. But as awful as this stuff tastes, it helps. The night I returned with Amethio, we were greeted reproachfully by the old lady who looks after the lodging. She was just as aware of my companion’s pallor as she was of my tired steps and before we knew it, we were being served snacks and medicinal teas.

Although the worry about my place with the Explorers never left me for a moment, it was these minutes together in the dining room of the dosshouse that improved the bond between me and Amethio. When I close my eyes, his voice still whispers in my ear.

 

That was good work.” He leans back in his chair, his eyes fixed on the cup in his hands. The plate in front of him has long been empty.

The thing in the Lush Jungle?” I ask. Part of me wants to make sure before I reopen the situation between us.

He nods, a confirming sound in his throat. Silence follows as I try to choke down the small bites of bread. My hunger is now satisfied, but I have to do something. Sitting here staring holes in the air is unpleasant.

I’d like to ask him a thousand questions, get to know him better so I can understand what makes him tick and why he’s so obsessed with Rayquaza. His expression is so deep in thought, dissatisfied with the circumstances in his most stubborn way, that I would love to sneak into his mind. Into his reflections, to understand more of what seems completely alien to me.

Yet I know he will never talk to me about it.

Thank you.”

And yet, for a brief breath, I think I’ve opened a tiny crack to his world. His voice, when he thanks me, is barely audible. It just sneaks in between. It is there. As if it’s in exactly the right place.

 

A day has passed since then that I’ve mostly slept through. Lillie has popped in twice to make sure I’m still alive and Conia has also poked her head through the door once to see if I need anything. I also found out that even Amethio used the day to think.

It’s now Saturday and, after a lot of care and relaxation, I’m almost ready for the next adventure. The only problem is that we don’t have any clues. A few people in Paniola claim to have seen Rayquaza flying towards Melemele. But that doesn’t mean it has settled there. A little further on lies Ula’Ula Island. Perhaps it also took a detour and headed towards Aether Paradise. It’s all possible, and no matter how hard Conia tries to find a fixed point of reference, she can’t land anything. It’s no different with Amethio. We’re practically sitting somewhere in the middle of nowheresville and getting no further.

With a sigh, I lean my head back and stretch my legs before putting my tea down on the table. Sitting alone in the dining room is almost pleasant, if it weren’t for the desire to do something. If I drag out my break for too long, the sore muscles will punish me again. Now is the perfect time to conquer them.

Maybe I should catch a new Pokémon, or do a bit of research to gain some knowledge for my intended job. It sounds like an option I can work with, and would also allow me to improve my reactions and learn how to deal with wild Pokémon without causing a disaster.

Without further ado, I pull to my feet as the Rotom on the table right next to my cup – I had completely forgotten about it – starts to vibrate. The next moment it rises and hovers in front of my nose to show me a message from Lillie.

They are brief words that don’t sound like her at all, and yet they are an invitation that sounds quite interesting. The road is a good distance from here and just as I give her my approval, a shiver runs down my spine. I turn round hastily, only to see the unimpressed look on Amethio’s face. He’s dressed in his usual attire – dark trousers with a purple arrow, matching shirt, a little too busy for a region like Alola.

“Can I help?” Brows raised, I turn to face him fully.

“Zir will take the airship to Konikoni City. We’ll travel on from there.”

“Isn’t that a diversion?” We could just go back to the harbour and fly on from there.

“Conia was able to get in touch with Bellro. He’ll give us new clues by this afternoon, if possible.”

“And if he doesn’t have any?”

“Then we’ll contact someone else.” He simply turns round. I probably don’t need to know more, but I stop him from leaving when I catch him by the sleeve.

“Lillie asked me if I’d like to drop by the research lab. It would be a way to find out exactly what I need to do to become a professor.”

He sighs as he closes his eyes before looking at me again. “It’s on the way.”

It’s something of an offer, giving me fifteen minutes to dash back to my room and pack up everything I’ve brought with me – nothing, really. Still, I want to tidy up as much as possible.

Only then do we check out of the shelter – for good – and Amethio sacrifices the well-being of his Corviknight to get us out of Paniola Town. It takes barely more than half an hour before we land in front of the Diglett’s Tunnel. This is where I dismount and give Amethio a brief nod. His gaze lingers on me a little longer, as if he’s trying to make me realise I’m now on my own. Then he urges Corviknight to fly on and I’m left alone on Heahea City’s main street.

From here, it’s only a short walk to the research institute. Each step forward is faster than the one before and when I arrive at the entrance and catch sight of Lillie, my breath is heavy on my lips. She is standing at the door of the building, staring upwards along the windows. Nebby floats around her feet.

Eventually, I settle next to her and her thoughts burst like a bubble as she turns in my direction and holds her breath for a moment. Her eyes immediately search for the small cloud at her side and when she spots Nebby, her tension eases.

“That was quick,” she begins our conversation and makes me smile briefly.

“Amethio gave me a lift. A Flying-type Pokémon is really handy.”

Her nod is cheerful, even though she keeps her hands clasped tightly around the shoulder bag straps as if they are about to be snatched from her at any moment. Understanding Lillie seems harder than usual in these seconds. She is hiding something and yet many of her ideas are literally on the tip of her tongue. However, she doesn’t address what is bothering her. Instead, we step inside the research institute and take the lift to the third floor. As soon as the heavy metal door slides aside, we are greeted by the stale smell of an almost sterile room in which computers are humming and cables have been carelessly left tangled in the corners.

After taking two steps into the room, we are greeted by a man who is clearly in his early thirties. The broad, white smile on his face is charming and his tanned skin peeks out from under a snow-white lab coat to reveal a bare torso. His relaxed demeanour seems to be part of his attitude, making it easy to want to trust him straight away.

“Wooh! You managed to get here, Lillie! I was wondering if Hala wasn’t asking too much of you.” He puts his hands on his hips and looks down at her as you would expect an adult to do to a child. Immediately afterwards, he taps the screen of his white cap and nods at me. “Welcome to the Dimensional Research Lab, or D.R.L. for short. Lillie already told me you’re planning to become a professor.”

“Yeah...” I sound terribly awkward. The wavering of my voice is unmistakable, my heart is hammering against my ribs and the reason is solely because of this environment.

Men scurry from one corner to the next. Women are gathered in front of a screen and try to figure out something that is completely incomprehensible to non-experts like me from a diagram. Everyone here knows exactly what their job is and they are all doing research for themselves and simultaneously with many others. It’s a kind of togetherness I hadn’t imagined and it creates nervousness where there shouldn’t be any.

“Pretty exciting here, isn’t it?” He laughs briefly before holding out his hand to me. “I’m Professor Kukui. I specialise in Pokémon and their attacks. There are so many moves that you’ll never get bored.”

I timidly take his hand. “Domino.”

“I take it you have no idea how to become a professor, do you?” The smirk on his lips tells me he’s already figured me out. And it’s true. I have no plan about what it takes to become a professor. Maybe I have to go to a certain school and do years of training before I’m allowed to set foot in this field.

The thought alone makes my forehead sweat. That would mean I can no longer take part in adventures. The Explorers will leave me behind and my father will have a better chance of dragging my volatile ass back home. An end I don’t want.

But Kukui waves it off the very moment my mouth twists. “You don’t have to go to school!”

He seems to have no trouble reading my thoughts, as if every aspect has been neatly written on my forehead.

“You used to have to go to school and learn theory for a long time. However, a few years ago it was decided that professors work better and achieve their goals if they can get to know the world. That’s why most of them start out as Pokémon trainers. You get to know the Pokémon and their world and from the age of sixteen, you can take part in the exams,” Kukui explains with a raised finger. “However, most people take their exams later than that. And the few who take them straight away, if possible, are usually brought up to do so from an early age.” He waves it off. “So you can start making your wish a reality at any time.”

Lillie seems to have told him enough about me, so he doesn’t even have to ask my age. That makes things easier, although I have no plan on how to answer. Of course, I want to complete the exams mentioned as quickly as possible. However, it still feels like I’m treading water.

So Professor Kukui takes the initiative and puts a hand on my back. His angular face, nicely cut and with a chin beard, moves a little closer and for a moment I even think I see a gleam of anticipation in his eyes, which he hides behind sunglasses with green side frames. Then he pushes me mercilessly over to the other researchers.

He leaves me standing next to a table before turning the corner – into a neighbouring room, half-separated by a wall – intent on targeting a small group of other professors. I can only see them with difficulty as I stretch slightly to the side, careful not to leave my post. Immediately afterwards, he returns with a woman at his side, looking almost chic compared to his casual appearance in knee-length jogging pants. Her white hair pushed up with a green metal ring at the back of her head, she exudes a little wildness you wouldn’t otherwise believe.

“So you’re Domino.” She snaps her fingers as if she’s solved a riddle. “My name is Burnet, founder of this facility and professor in interactions and relationships between Pokémon of this world and other dimensions like dreams.”

“She’s also my lovely wife,” Kukui adds, and the soft blush colouring her ears elicits a soft, timid snort.

For my part, I can hardly follow her introduction. I have no clue what a dream dimension is supposed to be, nor can I imagine that there are other dimensions. But there is research into this and I can’t deny that the mere thought is exciting.

“Anyway,” Burnet starts again, “I’ve heard you want to be a professor. I assume Kukui has already explained to you how easy it is to take the required steps. The real challenge lies in the exams themselves.”

Without further ado, she gestures for me to come closer so the two of us can stand in front of a computer screen.

“I’ve already taken the liberty of registering you as a future professor.” She gives me a smile. “With that comes a few minor obligations.”

Silently, I raise my brows. Straightening my shoulders, my stomach turns. Part of me is bracing myself for the worst news of my life, though Burnet doesn’t convey in a breath I need to worry.

“Now that you’re pre-registered, you need to take your first exam within the next six months. That’s how it is with each of them. After each exam, you have six months to take the next one. Of course, you can take them all at once or at shorter intervals. You just can’t go over the time limit.” She puts a hand on my shoulder before clicking to open a page, listing the tests and benefits. “Every test you pass is rewarded, of course. There are funding, perks and small gifts that can help you on your way to becoming a professor. Once you have passed all six tests, you will be added to the register, receive your ID card and become an officially recognised researcher!”

It really seems quite simple. The time window is large and therefore not a problem. The content of the exams will probably not be simple, but if you want to pass in this field, you need to prove your knowledge. That was foreseeable, and it remains fair. I also like the perks. The open page is vague, but it gives me a few clues about what to expect if I pass.

“You can also take an exam right here in Alola. The Aether Foundation has set aside some rooms for this purpose to encourage young people. Before, you always had to travel.”

I raise my hands in a flash. “I think it’s still too early for that.”

“Do you already know which area of research you want to go into? Maybe something new and undiscovered?” She moves a little closer and when I suck in a sharp breath, she smiles. “Of course, you have enough time to decide. It’s important that you end up finding something you love.”

“Like you and the dimensions?” There are a thousand things I could ask Burnet, but it’s easier to start at the beginning. Learning something in her field might help me find my direction. Right now, I just want to learn about the world of Pokémon, but that’s not enough.

Her grin widens a little as she turns to the large screen on the wall, which many of the others are also standing in front of. “Like dimensional research, yes.”

She steps a little closer to the data, which is incomprehensible to me, before turning to me again. “Can you imagine that there are Pokémon coming to us from another dimension?”

I shake my head. In principle, I know far too little about Pokémon and by now, I can no longer say it’s all down to my father. The memory gaps that haunt me are just as suspicious as the flight behaviour that has dragged me from one place to the next for years.

“Sometimes rifts just open up in the sky and a Pokémon climbs through,” explains Burnet. “This causes Alola’s network to collapse all the time. I hear it’s so rare in other parts of the world that people hardly ever talk about it. It’s different here.” She puts a hand to her chin. “Maybe it’s because our story is based on a Pokémon from another dimension. At least, that’s the only explanation we can find so far.”

“The history of Alola?”

She nods. “Every region has its own special Pokémon. They’re so different from what we know, with abilities that don’t seem to come from this world...” Her gaze pierces straight through me. “They say centuries of years ago, Necrozma also came from another universe to give us the Z-Moves. Of course, this part is just speculation and needs to be researched further, as all the books about this creature were burnt back then, but ... it’s a different story with the legendary Pokémon Lunala, which once came from an Ultra Wormhole, a passageway to other dimensions. The guardian deities saw it as a threat and fought it.” A quick shake of the head makes Burnet pause. “They lost.”

As her eyes drop to the floor, I hold my breath. If there are such things in this world that can be explored, then I want to unravel every conceivable mystery. If there’s an area to do so, then I’ll instantly occupy “Pokémon history” with every fibre of my body.

After Burnet takes a breath, she seems ready to tell me more about the world out there. “After the deities fell, Lunala gave them a gift. A Z-Crystal. Lunala also brought a second Pokémon through the Ultra Wormhole – Solgaleo – to create another Pokémon with it and the Tapus. The Tapus were supposed to look after it and raise it. Unfortunately, we don’t know much more than that... But that’s what I’m here for!”

“And you’re absolutely amazing. No doubt you’ll solve the mystery surrounding this story, wooh!” Kukui intervenes out of nowhere, and this time, the simple compliment he pays Burnet makes her blush. Pushing her lower lip forward, she looks at him for a moment as if he is her hero.

My thoughts, meanwhile, drift off. The story about alternative dimensions, and therefore presumably worlds, makes me wonder whether Rayquaza might be one of them. The probability that it also came from an Ultra Wormhole a long time ago comes into question.

Just the thought of it makes me want to run to Amethio immediately and report to him. His interest in this Pokémon is even greater than mine and the fact there are more Pokémon like it out there – for sure – won’t leave him indifferent. Unless he only believes the things he sees.

“I think Nebby is from another place, too.”

It is Lillie who lures me out of my thoughts and directs my gaze to the side. Somewhere in the middle of Burnet’s remarks, she has positioned herself next to me. The Pokémon at her side is back in the bag. “That’s why I wanted to go to the ruins on Melemele.”

“Because you think Nebby came from there?”

She nods. “It just turned up one day, and I had to save it from ... danger. I’ve been looking for its home ever since and it seems to be attracted to the ruins of Tapus. Perhaps it believes it can be sent back from there, and I want to help it.”

“Sounds like you have a plan, at least.” I purse my lips, barely realising. “But then, why did you come with me? The Explorers could fly off in a different direction or disappear from Alola at any time and then your plan with the ruins would be over.”

She shakes her head. “Conia said that there’s a very high chance of exploring the other islands, too. She didn’t want to go into too much detail ... but her boss, someone above Amethio, seems to be interested in the guardian deities. Rayquaza still comes first ... but they will explore the ruins briefly, even if it flees this region.”

That’s news.

Amethio refrains from talking to me too much and special information is none of my business, anyway. Probably because I’m not yet a recognised member and therefore nothing more than an obstacle. Then again, it would have been kind of cool to know they were interested in the deities. So it’s clear that not only Rayquaza has a certain added value for them, but that special Pokémon are worth the Explorers’ time in general.

“I assume you have got another plan for today?” In the meantime, the flirtation between Kukui and Burnet seems to be over. The former has turned towards us – his wife is already back in her research – a broad smile on his face. “Do you want me to take you somewhere?”

“N-no, thanks,” Lillie hastily waves it off. “We’re walking.”

“Then I hope you enjoy the trip!”

He probably would have given us a lift if we’d asked. Walking to the next town in this heat isn’t exactly what I’d hoped for, but thanks to Lillie’s refusal, I can no longer raise any objections. Instead, we say goodbye to him and somehow also to Burnet, who hardly notices anything, and leave the research institute.

Outside, we are greeted by the sun, its merciless rays burning our eyes. Lillie’s grip on the bag is once again as tight as ever, but her face seems to be flaming with new determination. She radiates that exhilarating, excited aura of a girl who believes she can conquer the world.

“To get to the others, we have to go through the Diglett's Tunnel,” she suddenly starts and I can only manage a weak smile. I don’t know whether I should be happy about the sun protection or afraid of a bunch of wild Pokémon.

Still, we set off together as if there is no danger within reach. But you can never be safe on these islands. That’s one thing I’ve realised in the last few days. The world of Pokémon is fascinating, diverse, but definitely not without danger.

“W-We don’t have to be afraid of wild Pokémon, by the way,” Lillie starts again. Her eyes are turned towards me and the helpless smile on her face makes her seem almost more fragile than she is. “I ... bought a lot of repel sprays.”

My lips immediately pucker. She’ll probably be carrying these sprays in the same bag as Nebby. “No wonder your Pokémon keeps trying to disappear.”

Her eyes widen. “Do you think that’s why Nebby always jumps out of the bag? Does it feel ... u-uncomfortable?” Lillie immediately opens her bag and digs Nebby out. Clutching it tightly to her chest, she doesn’t seem to know what to do with it for a moment.

“I don’t know, but I think that if you have the cans right in front of your nose, you can smell what’s inside.” I shrug my shoulders. “You should really put Nebby in a Poké Ball. Or get a second bag.”

Lillie’s eager nod is the only sign of agreement I get. It seems like she wants to keep the little Pokémon in her arms for now, and even though it shouldn’t bother me, I can’t help but keep glancing over at her. With enough bad luck, it jumps off her arm and we have to chase it through the tunnel. Just the thought of it makes the warm weather slightly chilly.

However, my hunch strikes before we even reach the tunnel. Nebby’s sound of protest elicits a soft exclamation from Lillie – plagued by uncertainty and a gentle desire for help – before the Pokémon can free itself from her arms. It glides to the ground as light as a feather, the two long puffs on its head bend backwards and instead of running away, it floats backwards.

“Where are you going?” Lillie’s nails dig into the strap of her bag. “Is everything all right?”

My gaze follows the Pokémon for a moment too – before they come.

The voices.

Endlessness hits me. Sounds ring in my ears, throb in my head, push so hard against my skull I gasp and press my hands against my temples. My brain seems to pop out, my teeth grind. Squeezing my eyes shut, I try to hold out. Heat builds up in my body and somewhere in the background I hear Lillie.

Her words, which make no sense because they only come to me as static. Her touch on my shoulder, which seems extremely hot and makes me open my eyes in hope it will get a little better.

I lift my eyelids just a crack, look up, and get stuck in the sky. At a rift running through the air, as if we were living in a world of cloth. The jumbled voices in my skull grow louder, flattening out, high and low, before a bright beeping drowns out every other sound. My eardrums threaten to burst.

And the crack in the sky grows.

 

STOP!

For all the people bing-reading this work: You now reached the first half of the first act!
Is that a lot, you ask? Well, you now finished around 282 book pages. So be kind to yourself, take a break, drink something, grab some food, and maybe take a nap.
This story won't run away anytime soon.

1