From first steps and new friends VII
89 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Darkness slowly settles over the island and the pain in my legs doesn’t let up for a moment. Every movement burns fierily in my thighs and the panting is heavy on my lips. Armed with three Pokémon, I may be safer, but not more athletic.

There was little time to waste on the farm. As soon as the man handed me Raya, my journey continued. No glass of water. No break. Part of me is still on the run, even though I am sure my father is no longer looking for me. He probably thinks I won’t get far; that I will never leave this island, no matter how hard I try. But it shouldn’t be far to the ship. Just a little further and I can disappear!

Still, every breath catches in my throat, and the cave entrance that looms beside me beckons me. My footsteps resound even though I haven’t entered, so my legs automatically make their way inside. The echoing grows louder. My footsteps thunder in my ears and as the cave threatens to close over me, it is the soft glow of last rays of sunlight that creep inside. They are scattered holes of light, fading slowly.

My legs wobble as I slowly settle against a wall. The pause pushes the throbbing to my hips. Still, it’s a relief not to have to walk another step. If this group has settled near the Verdant Cavern, they might have set up camp on Route 3 – somewhere on the cliff edge. It is possible to dock there – at least if I believe the maps that can be found sporadically in the shops. The way isn’t far now. If I hurry, I’ll be there in thirty minutes.

The sudden grumbling in my stomach awakens my trance and brings me back to my situation. I have no food with me; I can’t even feed the Pokémon, though they are certainly hungry. No matter how I turn it, my escape is doomed if I don’t find food.

Simultaneously, I remember walking past a small motel. It is possible to find shelter there – without problems – but the risk that they still look for me and find me there is too great. On the other hand, I can hardly let my companions starve. In the worst case, I have to take the risk. It is better than failing in this way, and hurdles are part of an adventure. So nothing special. It’s just another thing I have to deal with. The world isn’t a place that lacks surprises.

Quiet crackling makes my gaze roam the cave. Darkness has now completely taken over the sky and the only thing that remains is blackness. It’s hard to see my hands in front of my own eyes. The strange sound in the distance persists nonetheless and as something moist presses against the back of my hand, a cry escapes me as I slide two metres to the side.

But the fright doesn’t last long. A small, glowing stone brings the face of a Rattata into view. Its small, almost black body becomes one with the darkness and only the light brown underside sets it slightly apart from its surroundings. The small stone rests in his hands while another holds a berry. It’s not much, but it’s a friendly offering from wildlife Pokémon who might just attack me.

A few more Rattata come over. They crowd in behind each other, push their way to the front and all drop off a berry each. It doesn’t take long for a small mountain to accumulate. It’s enough to feed over three Pokémon and when I release my companions, they don’t wait more than a breath before striking. Pikipek is a bit of a picky eater. Raya stuffs three berries into her snout in one bite and Ying – disguised as a second Pikipek in the bunch – devotes herself to a berry on the side.

I watch them for a while. The Rattata join them, munching on their gifts with my Pokémon and seeming to surrender to the peace within these walls. It’s a beautiful moment, even if my stomach hurts. Maybe I should try a Pokémon Berry too – but the chances of me tolerating it are slim. Instead, I eye the Rattata. A few of them look battered. Scratches stand out red. Blood has stuck together some of the fur. Scabs are forming. Presumably, they sometimes fight among themselves and although I have only fought minor battles myself, I know by now how cruel fights can be.

Part of me wants to reach out and get to know these Rattata better. Maybe they can help me find something edible. But my fingertips barely get near a Pokémon before an animalistic sound resounds through the cave. Loud, biting, aggressive, as if in the middle of the blackness a monster waits to devour something.

My legs automatically pull tighter against my body. A tremor eats through my shoulders, down my back. All too slowly, I scramble to my feet as the Pokémon stop eating and gaze into the same blackness where I too believe something is hiding. Briefly, I look at my team. They return the attention but don’t move. They don’t know each other, but they are all ready to get to the bottom of this sound with me.

I give them a nod so that one of the Pikipek joins me at my feet. Zorua, presumably. The other two claim the space in front of me. The pack of Rattata gathers around the remaining pile of berries. They won’t come, I know that, but it would be more pleasant if it were otherwise. All together, we wouldn’t have to be afraid of anything – certainly not. But even four of us are strong enough. And that is the only reason I push forward into the darkness.

My footsteps echo off the walls, coming back just as eerily as they chase away from me, and even when I don’t want to pay attention, my heart races up to my throat. The surroundings are only slowly becoming a world I can navigate. My eyes get used to the darkness, recognise outlines and also the path ahead. A small route leads up past some holes where the Rattata are probably sleeping. Just above, a small, waist-high exit leads outside.

Each breath is shallow on my lips as I bend through the entry. The world becomes brighter all at once.

I have no plan how much time has passed since I settled in the cave. My senses still waver with hunger, but the moon shimmers in the firmament, and I know I am not dreaming. There is no longer rock above us. Only the walls still imply that this area is part of this cave. There is a climb. We could probably look down on Melemele, but the thought doesn’t get far before I fix on a Raticate.

It makes sporadic sounds as its rough fur gleams under the incoming moonlight. Gracefulness that doesn’t match its distorted grimace as it bites a stone again and again with its strong teeth. The clanking sound that hunts through the cave rings in my ears, making me tighten my shoulders. Simultaneously, I narrow my eyes to slits.

This Raticate is different.

I don’t know why, but this Pokémon exudes an aura that makes even my Zorua press tighter against my leg. Pikipek puffs up and Raya’s ears are perked up. It seems as if this Pokémon wants to convey something that no one can grasp. All that is left is to watch – until it turns towards us.

For a moment, I hold my breath. Its eyes sparkle. The twitching in its body tenses, eats through its mind, and before anyone can do anything, it lets out a scream that takes my breath away. It thunders in my head, my perception goes dim, and every breath weighs tons in my lungs.

For a moment, the afterwave paralyses my body. It is impossible to move even a muscle. Only Raya leaps forward, ready to fight, as if finding pleasure in an opponent like this. It is probably the ordeal we have to go through to get to know each other better. At least, that’s what you hear now and then when others talk about their journeys. This is my start. Maybe it’s just the point where I follow in the footsteps of a great journey. It’s a sign.

It’s the simplest thought I can muster at this moment. So I tighten my shoulders and ignore the ringing in my ears. It’s time for a fight.

“Ember!” My hand swings to my side as if it has some effect and Raya takes my resolve in a leap.

In a flash, she chases forward to stop wide-legged and launch a small fireball at the Raticate's feet. But the flames that spread to its toes are met with disinterest. The Pokémon doesn’t even flinch at my attack. Instead, it emits a low growl that seems unfamiliar for this creature. Then, all at once, it chases in our direction.

Before I can open my mouth, it rams Raya with its body. It’s different from what Ying usually does – crueller, firmer, harder – and Growlithe can’t keep herself on her paws. She flies four steps in my direction before hitting the side and immediately bringing herself back to an upright position. Her growl is nerve-wracking.

For a moment, I don’t know how to move my legs. The commands stick to my tongue, almost as if every fight before had been too easy. And maybe that’s true, after all, I’ve been preaching it myself. Life outside, beyond the mannered battles, is anything but fair.

Saliva runs dry down my throat as I take a deep breath and immediately point to the Raticate. It’s not impossible to win, and it’s the ideal chance to bond with Raya. Ultimately, my team is taking shape much faster than I ever anticipated and it’s a matter of dealing with every Pokémon at my side. We have to become an unbreachable wall. That’s the only goal we have.

“Bite! And then ember!” My words echo off the walls, and just when I think they’re echoing back, our opponent’s aura continues to spread.

Still, Growlithe dares to leap two steps ahead, ready to sink her teeth into the Pokémon. However, it finds no grip on the rough fur of the Raticate and before Raya can dodge, it has already torn open its mouth.

The rest stretches out agonisingly slowly in front of me.

The Pokémon’s powerful teeth smash into Raya’s side. It lets out a hideous yelp that makes every hair on my arms stand up. Blood splatters black to the ground and only the red glow under the moonlight makes it identifiable.

“Raya! Come back!” Pointed and shrill, the words escape my lips as I stagger forward a few steps. It is cause for the Raticate to release Growlithe from its bite and turn towards me.

Quick as a flash, I call Raya back into her Poké Ball. The injury is difficult to assess, but I know it’s urgent. Just as I know this beast won’t let us go. And it’s that second when the Pikipek on my legs breaks free, completely forgotten before.

The other sparrow stands at my side but doesn’t move. It’s easier to stow it away in a Pokè Ball and rely entirely on the brave steps of my other partner. Judging by the gait, even my heart believes that Ying wants to take care of the problem. Her attacks must be enough to defeat our opponent so I can take the next big risk: the Pokémon Center.

“Ying... Use Pursuit!” Pikipek stands wide-legged before she spreads her wings and the Raticate lets out a low grumble. Then she takes off running.

In the first few breaths, our opponent seems to see no enemy in the bird. In the next, it backs away and lets Ying follow. It gives her enough momentum to thunder firmly against the Raticate. But it merely knocks the Pokémon off balance for a moment. Seconds that my Zorua knows how to use.

Her small bird body swings gallantly like a Persian over the Raticate before she comes up behind it and opens her beak. Then she bites her enemy’s tail. The screech of the Raticate is so loud that I have to cover my ears for fear of bursting my eardrums. Zorua, however, isn’t impressed. Even as the Raticate turns to her and indicates scratch with its short front paws, Ying has already jumped to the side to copy the idea.

The illusion of her body fades in the same blink as she lashes out with a wing. The next she is in her dark form, claws extended to chase them across the Raticate's grimace. Only the red-black puff on her head remains clear under the moonlight – combined with vague outlines that make up her body. I can see her spinning in the air to give the Raticate a sideways kick; and this time it is enough.

The aura collapses and the Pokémon topples forward, where it hits the ground. Away from that, it remains motionless.

I immediately run towards my Zorua. It jumps into my arms while I’m still halfway there, and just as I’m about to turn around to do the right thing, my movement falters. The ring I got from Hala – I have completely forgotten about it – flashes conspicuously through my trouser pocket, combining with a faint glow emanating from the stone Raticate tried to bite earlier.

I approach the small crystal without further ado. It is hardly bigger than a small liquor bottle and the Z carved on its surface awakens vague suspicions in me. But there is no time to think.

With a snort, I put the stone in my pocket and run. My legs are still shaky after the fight and I could think of a hundred things I could have done better, but my mind can only cling to the desire to reach the Pokémon Center in time.

The cave echoes my every step and as I walk back the way I came, panting, I see the Rattata watching me from the corner of my eye. I have no idea what they are thinking, how they are looking at us or what exactly they are doing, but they don’t stand in our way and the strange tension no longer seems to be in their bodies either.

When the first gust of wind outside the cave catches me, I falter. It is not strong, but so unexpected that I think my legs will buckle. Instantly, I press Zorua’s warm body closer to my chest. With one knee I hit the ground, scraping the skin and hissing before my step firms up again and I can keep running. The road to the Pokémon Center suddenly takes an infinite amount of energy. The slope I laboriously conquered at lunchtime is suddenly my way back and although I run as fast as I can, it takes forever to arrive. Time melts away in my hands.

The glass door under the red roof with the Poké Ball painted on it opens automatically. I stumble in, dodge a lazy old man and just barely find my footing at the counter, behind which stands a woman. Her pink hair is neatly done up and tied into respectable braids, while her brown eyes blink several times.

“How can I help? Would you like to heal your Pokémon in our care?”

“I...” My throat is so dry I can barely bring the words past my lips. The artificial light scratches my eyes like sand and the brightness irritates my senses. “Growlithe needs help.”

Awkwardly, I smash the Poké Ball onto the upper surface, hoping she can do something. I place Zorua and Pikipek's balls right next to it. It’s better to check them over after everything that’s happened.

The nurse, meanwhile, understands my unease and immediately turns her attention to Raya’s ball. A rather round, pink Pokémon hastily carries it away and only then does her attention fall on the other two.

My legs give out and my senses cling to any absurdly unimportant thought they can find to distract me. I think my father once had one of those pink Pokémon too. I try to search my memories for the name of these helpers, but find nothing.

“Are you all right?” Briefly, the nurse leans over the counter. “My name is Joy. What’s your name?”

She tries to check out my condition, to see how far my brain is still thinking. But all I manage is to lift my eyes and stare at her. Then my thoughts fall on the next stupid fragment in my skull. I already know the answer from my father.

“I... I can’t pay for the treatment...”

Nurse Joy sighs. Then she disappears behind the counter again, rustling with something, and takes the door at the side to step out. The white outfit makes her look like an angel, who barely later puts a hand on my shoulder and kneels down to me.

“You don’t have to worry about money. Pokémon Centers are state-supported institutions, paid for by taxes. No one is going to bill you after your treatment that you can’t pay.” She puts on a smile. “Care about your Pokémon, learn from your mistakes and grow from them. That’s all you need to think about when you seek help from us.”

Probably it is, and for a moment I want to fold my hands and pray. Simultaneously, there are a thousand reproaches I can make to pass the time. The moment and the glaring light are so overbearing, it throbs heavily behind my temple. Nurse Joy is the only haven of peace I can see right now.

1