Knowledge behind fading leads V
44 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

My eyes wander over the offers in the shop integrated into the Pokémon Center. I have three hundred Pokémon Dollars.

A potion would help me last longer, but most of the time I’m struggling with status problems. What’s more, a simple potion only helps with minor injuries, but not with the serious damage I usually take. This brings the various antidotes to the fore. I could buy one antidote and one burn heal to protect wild Pokémon from Raya – but is that the right way to go? I should take more care of my own Pokémon than strangers. My team is more important than anything else in the world.

“I... would like...” The decision kills me inside. But a brief thought shifts my focus in a different direction. “I’ll have a potion.”

“With pleasure!” The shop assistant, who has been waiting at least twenty minutes for me to say something, seems relieved. Simultaneously, I cling to my decision.

A potion isn’t much, but it can save my Pokémon. A potion can help me keep them alive until I find a Pokémon Center. It’s only a small step, but it’s one I’m determined to take.

When the shop assistant hands me one of the hand-sized, square containers in which the blue liquid sloshes back and forth, I breathe a sigh of relief. I have everything I need. The Center’s nurse, Joy, has given me a small backpack in which I’ve just about managed to fit the egg. It will be safe when Amethio and I move on.

“Now I just need to get some money so I can do more for my Pokémon.” I clutch the potion tighter. I’ll do better next time.

But when I turn round, it’s a startled leap backwards that makes my heart stumble and my breath hitch. The shock only lasts a blink, but I still feel like my emotions have taken a momentary hit.

“Are you ready?” Amethio’s gaze rests unmoving on me, as if nothing could upset him. That’s better than being pierced or looked down upon – even if it’s still not ideal. Meanwhile, his attention briefly fixes on the potion I’ve bought, so I quickly stash it in the side pocket of my backpack.

“I’m ready,” I say hastily and although he looks at me a little longer, he remains silent and turns round. Whatever is going through his head, I can’t understand, let alone hear it.

Our path leads us out of Paniola Town, straight onto Route 5. The greenery to our sides in form of forest and meadow only shrinks at the sight of the towering mountain directly in front of us. It’s a pleasant change from the hell this farm has brought with it. Another tool to push everything that has happened off my shoulders and forget about it.

But we don’t get far when the shouting of someone else forces us to stop. A glance over my shoulder brings Conia into view. She is trotting the last few steps in our direction.

“Is there any news?” Amethio takes exactly one step towards her.

“No, not much. A few people have referred to Route 7 and the volcano.” She shields her eyes as she looks up at the rock monster. “But I don’t think it can hide up there.”

“Where’s Lillie?” No matter where I look, she’s nowhere near.

“She got stuck in a boutique,” sighs Conia. “And I couldn’t get through with the Rotom.” She digs out the red smartphone. “The reception on this island is terrible. So I had to come here and hope I could catch you before you went to Brooklet Hill.”

“I see.” Amethio’s gaze glides briefly over our surroundings as he suddenly lingers on a figure that has set its sights on us.

Conia and I follow his interest, only to get stuck on a boy our age. His light blonde hair shimmers just as strikingly under the sun as Lillie’s. But his grim face and the dark clothes on his body remind me more of the team of idiots I’ve met twice before.

He comes within a few metres of us before he stops and crosses his arms in front of his chest. With his nose raised, he seems to look down on us – albeit with pathetic success.

“Where is she?” His voice is loud, demanding, but not at all intimidating. Conia simply puts her hands on her hips and Amethio stares at him as if the way to the self-help group is in the other direction.

“Who?” Conia answers the question.

“Lillie. She’s with you, isn’t she? I’ve seen you together.” His visible eye narrows to a slit. He hides the other under far too long side fringes.

“Depends on who wants to know.”

“You shouldn’t mess with me.” In a flash, he pulls a Poké Ball out of his trouser pocket. “Otherwise you’ll regret it!”

He must be pretty sure of himself if he thinks he can take on three trainers. His behaviour is like madness. And in Amethio’s eyes, we don’t have time to mess with lost gang kids. His flowing hand movement and the ball that slips away from him are answer enough. Wordlessly, he sends Ceruledge into battle. The sleek, bright flames give it a pleasant glow and as Conia shakes her head, it is clear this stranger is no match. Not least because this outlander is sending a Zubat into battle.

“Psycho cut!” Amethio doesn’t bother asking questions, nor does he care that Ceruledge is far superior to the Zubat. With lightning speed, his Pokémon chases forward long before the opponent’s Pokémon can fulfil the supersonic command.

Dark energy is released from the Pokémon’s blades, travelling in sharp wings towards its opponent. It is an attack that slices straight through the Zubat’s body but doesn’t cause any visible damage. Only when it breaks out in a choking cough and blood drips to the ground, do I realise what effect psycho cut has.

In the next breath, the Zubat crashes to the ground and Ceruledge gains distance – just in time before the stranger can chase his next Pokémon into battle.

The light from the Poké Ball brings out a shape that leaves a strange tingling sensation on my skin. Just the sight of it is enough to send shivers down my spine. Even Conia wrinkles her nose. What has built up opposite Ceruledge carries the whiff of a failed experiment like oppressive perfume. Its charm exudes the idea of an insane creation, a bit like Frankenstein’s monster; as if several parts of various Pokémon had been sewn onto it.

“What’s that...?” I slowly pick up my Rotom, but all it can tell me is: “No entry available. Unknown Pokémon.”

“Unknown?” Conia’s gaze wavers in my direction before she moves closer and scrutinises my display. “It’s actually an unknown Pokémon?”

“Looks like it,” I reply. “Or it’s... one made of many...”

She presses her lips together before looking back at the battle, in which the unknown creature is fighting Ceruledge’s blades with all its might. But the fight is so one-sided that it harbours nothing but grief. The boy doesn’t get to say the right attacks and his Pokémon is too busy defending to attack.

“It really looks like it was... thrown together wildly,” Conia finally says. “Just the thought...” - makes her swallow.

I feel the same way, and when Ceruledge lands a powerful blow to the head of the strange Pokémon, the beast collapses weakly. It is enough for the boy to call it back into its ball and take two steps back. His teeth grind. The displeased expression on his face brings reddened cheeks to the fore. Whatever he wants from Lillie, he doesn’t seem to be a pleasant fellow.

His eyes dart across the landscape behind us, thoughts probably racing. He knows he can’t hold a candle to Amethio and yet he opens his mouth to spit out new ideas – interrupted by the laughter of others.

“Jesus Christ, the fact a bimbo like that is even allowed to be a member of Team Skull is ruining our whole fucking reputation! No honour, that victim!”

My gaze flits to the rock wall in a flash. They haven’t been sitting on the narrow ledge they’ve taken for long, but the fight hasn’t escaped them. They must have joined us when the tragedy began.

“I can’t imagine a loser like you being able to kill a Totem Pokémon,” one of them calls over to the blond.

“No way, he’ll cry to mum first!”

The laughter between the two continues until they have slid down from the ledge and skilfully landed. With leisurely steps, they head in the direction Conia has come from – as if their only goal is pure entertainment in someone else’s misery. They don’t think they’ll be stopped, nor do they seem to have much interest in anything other than our opponent. It’s hard not to categorise them as idiots who are standing on the spot.

Only slowly do I turn my gaze back to the blonde, whose eyes are glued to his trainers. His teeth pressed together and his hands clenched into fists, he avoids countering – as if he believes the words of the two wannabe gangsters. Until two minutes ago, he probably thought he was the strongest man in the world. Instead, his daydreaming has mockingly moved away from him.

“Next time, I’ll kick your ass.” Lifting his gaze briefly, it’s a sombre green eye that measures Amethio with final distaste before he simply turns and leaves. It resembles a sulking child who couldn’t get over the wall in front of its nose.

“You’d almost think the people of Alola are all insane.” Conia’s sigh brings normality back to our surroundings, and when Amethio calls Ceruledge back, the events of a moment ago already seem forgotten.

“I just hope Lillie doesn’t run into his arms,” I add.

Whatever this guy wants from her, it’s safe to assume he’ll bring nothing but trouble. Lillie isn’t a trainer and I’m not sure if Nebby can fight. Most of the time, it seems more like a harmless little piece of universe.

“I’ll take her back to the ship with me,” Conia replies. “Who knows what will happen if we lose one of you while your request is being checked.”

“While you’re at it, see with Zir if there’s a reason for the Rotom’s malfunction,” Amethio finally interjects, and it doesn’t take a blink of an eye before Conia straightens her shoulders and nods.

“I’ll let you know when we’ve got to the bottom of it.”

“Would you take this with you?” It’s the best chance I have to make sure nothing happens to the egg. Besides, I doubt she’ll just throw it away – not least because Amethio wanted me to bring it. So I take off my backpack and unload it, holding it out to her in half-request. “It ... moves ... I think ... sometimes. And who knows what else will happen on the way to the Brooklet Hill. It’s safer with you.”

Conia eyes the yellow shell with the pink dots for a moment. Her indecision threatens to make the silence between us uncomfortable until she finally accepts it. “Do you know what’s inside?”

“No.” I shake my head.

A short grumble escapes Conia’s throat before she presses it against her. “I’ll prepare a place for it near the pipes. There ... it’s warm.”

For a moment, she seems lost in thought. The soft touch in her voice and the gentle nuance of her thoughts reveal that interest is germinating in her. She wants to know what’s inside that egg and I can hardly blame her. If I wasn’t attracting so many problems, my focus would be on it too.

Conia nods stiffly to her superior one last time to underline she will carry out the task assigned to her. Then she makes her way back and leaves us behind. My thoughts, however, once again cling to the task ahead of us, while I can’t get the boy’s strange Pokémon out of my mind. Behind it, the words of Team Skull’s two idiots ring out, and before Amethio can go any further, I whirl in his direction.

“We could question them!”

“What are you talking about?” He stops in mid-motion, his eyes fixed on my every movement.

“The guardian deities of the islands. I’ve already heard the one on Melemele, so I’m sure it applies to the others as well!” I clap my hands in anticipation. “Maybe they can tell us something about the black Rayquaza.”

“If we come across one, you’re free to ask.” He doesn’t seem half as convinced of my idea as I am, and as he begins his ascent, I have no choice but to follow. Still, I don’t want to dismiss the hope that one of these special Pokémon knows where we need to go to reach our destination.

However, my determined anticipation barely lasts longer than five minutes. The way up pulls at my lungs, my calves and my mind. Paniola eventually disappears behind the greenery of the trees and the early noon blasts us with a heat that would have set even a freaking Squirtle on fire. The sweat on my body is soaked up by my blouse and as I raise my arm to wipe it off, I feel like I can feel my heat.

Amethio, meanwhile, merely loosens the string on his collar to undo the top button of his shirt. Watching him do this makes me briefly suspect that he is a Sandshrew in disguise. The heat isn’t suffocating him, nor are there any noticeable sweat stains. You could say he’s made of a completely different material than I am.

Only when the sound of rippling water reaches my ears do I regain my vigour. A short bend brings us directly onto the straight path leading to the lake, and it takes barely another ten minutes before we are finally standing in front of the water. The sight elicits a gasp from me. The sun is so high in the sky that the light movements of the lake sparkle like diamonds. The natural phenomenon in this place is mesmerising. The stone has formed bowls that flow into each other and yet form independent pools that slope down towards each other like shifted steps.

“Shall we take a break?” I turn briefly to Amethio, whose gaze also lingers a little longer on the water before he nods. Settling down in this place for a moment is the best option we have. There’s probably nothing to find here, but it’s another place we can tick off the list.

Sighing, I settle down on a small rock and do the same as Amethio, whose eyes hang in the distance. Simultaneously, he lets his Pokémon out of the balls to give them a chance to drink. It’s the first time I take a closer look at his second Pokémon.

A thought that I quickly shake off.

I immediately let my team loose on the pools of water and it’s not long before all of them are jumping around refreshed. Raya enjoys chasing Pikipek around, while the latter seeks refuge under the irritated giant bird of Amethio. It flaps its wings a few times as Raya chases between its legs.

“What kind of Pokémon is that?” In the end, I do ask and Rotom is immediately at my service.

Corviknight. Raven Pokémon. Flying/Steel-type. No one dares to challenge it for Galar’s skies, as its shiny, steely plumage intimidates opponents. Although its wings are partly made of steel, it flies through with ease. Thanks to its great flying skills and high intelligence, it is often used as a taxi service in Galar. In Paldea, however, it is not used because natural enemies of the Corviknight could endanger the guests.”

Just the thought of being carried through the air by such a bird makes my heart beat a few octaves higher. Flying must be wonderful. The entire world is suddenly at your feet and the people are instantly all small.

Ying’s quiet howling at my side distracts me from the entry. Amethio has fascinating companions. There’s no denying that. But my team will be just as great one day.

I gently stroke my Zorua over the fluff on her head so that she sits down and easily follows my movements with her body. Her calmness settles unconquerably on my shoulders and everything else fades into the background. With her by my side, it’s easier to forget the problems from Paniola. Together, we can overcome everything.

The air in this place is so clear I could sit here forever. Sure, Amethio is already getting up again to continue on his way – certain he won’t find anything in this place, but I just can’t pull myself together. Not even when something shoots a hard jet of water in my face.

Raising an arm, my gaze falls to the shore where a small fish with beady eyes stares stubbornly in my direction. The Rotom automatically makes its contribution. “Wishiwashi. Small fry Pokémon. Very weak and extremely tasty. If it gets into trouble, its eyes water. The resulting glamour attracts other fish of the same species.”

“So we could catch you and barbecue you, huh?” I like the idea so much that Zorua jumps to the fish without a command and swats at it with her paw. Unfortunately, the Wishiwashi is faster than Ying, so all she does is splash water.

“We’re moving on.” Behind us, Amethio takes out his Poké Balls again to collect his companions.

A thought I don’t want to follow as I raise my hands and give a small pout. “Two more minutes.”

“Finding Rayquaza is our top priority.”

“It won’t disappear if we stay a little longer. It’s hot...” I demonstratively pluck at my blouse to produce some cool air for my body. “A little cooling off is good for the Pokémon, too. You should give them a treat now and then.”

My gaze briefly shifts to his companions. Ceruledge carefully taps one foot in the water, while Corviknight is already taking a hearty dip. Not the best idea, as it probably makes his feathers heavier than thirty kilos of brass, but the sun will remedy that. A fact that Amethio cannot deny.

“An hour,” he then brings himself to say. “After that, we’ll move on.”

He’s not happy with my idea, but he doesn’t seem to be a fan of discussions either. That means it’s not impossible to convince him of smaller things.

I cheerfully use the time to slip out of my boots and pull my jeans over my calves with difficulty. Then I join Ceruledge and imitate it in its attempt to come into contact with water before taking a step into it. As expected, the water reaches just above my calves, so the hem of my trouser legs soaks up moisture with every movement. The ground beneath my soles is made of smooth stones and while Zorua sits on the edge, Coro splashes into the water, beak first. When he resurfaces, his eyes shine and his chest rises and falls in seconds.

“You’re really enjoying this, aren’t you?” A giggle escapes me. Immediately afterwards, I turn to Zorua and splash a handful of water at her. “Afraid to sink?”

Her distorted bark jumps at my provocation for a second, then she wags her tail, sucks up some water and tries to blow it in my direction in a beam – completely unsuccessfully. Raya watches her with her head tilted back. Attention that makes Ying hide her face behind her paws. She is so cute I can hardly laugh at her. The warmth in my chest thanks the circumstances and when Coro lands on my shoulder, the world could hardly be more beautiful.

“Amethio!” My daring reaches new heights. “Come into the water. It’s really nice.”

“No, thanks.” He closes his eyes briefly. Pushing him would only ensure that he forces us to move on immediately – at least I wouldn’t put it past him. And if he doesn’t want to refresh himself, I’ll leave that entirely up to him.

Spreading my arms out to either side, I turn round in circles a few times. Corviknight, meanwhile, leaves the water and shakes itself before settling down to dry off in the sun. Coro is on the lookout for fish and my interest lingers on the holes, the size of which allows room for an Onix; and the bottom of which cannot be seen. Presumably these are places where fishing is worthwhile. If I had a fishing rod, I’d give it a try.

My feet carry me to the end of the bowl so I can look out to the sea. From here, the blue surface seems to stretch to the end of the world – an incredible expanse – which I would love to reach one day. The world beyond the horizon must be marvellous.

Only when the water sloshes into the bend of my knee, do I detach myself from the sight in front of me and turn round to face the others. Everyone except Coro and me is sunbathing or playing around on the shore. The brief break gives them plenty of pleasure. I want to join them, to be part of it all, but barely a step later the water is sloshing up to my knees again.

My gaze wanders over the surface. Coro puffs up. Something is wrong and as the Pokémon on the shore start to listen, I feel my heart beat faster. I hastily push forward. The ground seems to tremble under my feet. Even Amethio gets up to inspect.

However, we only notice our opponent when it’s too late.

As something breaks through the surface of the water, I slip on the stone. I gasp at the sharp pain that shoots through my bum and up my back. A sound that I draw out as I catch sight of the Pokémon, its faint glow reminiscent of the Raticate that almost took Raya from me.

Its powerful form resembles something of a Wishiwashi. But it is far too huge and its mouth is big enough to swallow us all in one bite. However, it has no interest in those standing on the shore. Instead, its fixed gaze reaches in my direction and a deep roar hits me.

Poison!” Its scales seem to tremble as it turns its body, larger than a simple farmhouse, in my direction. “You are poison!”

In the next blink of an eye, it launches an water gun in my direction and my body is too stiff to move. Mother Destiny definitely has a problem with me. And her way of showing it is to try to kill me. There’s no other way to explain my approaching death.

2