Chapter 0: The Lake of the Children (Part 1: A Fool’s Errand)
188 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

AsAThought

Chapter 0: The Lake of the Children

Part 1: A Fool’s Errand

            Yui slept soundly as the autumn rain fell relentlessly on the last day of summer, cocooning the room. The earthly scent of mud filled the air, mingling with the tranquillity of the moment. Beside her, freshly cut watermelons and a juice box awaited, promising a delightful treat for later. As Nana’s only granddaughter, Yui relished the privilege of lounging carefreely on that mushy tatami mat that smelt like dust. 

             "Yui, it's going to get dark soon. Go for a jog now child," Nana reminded Yui. Her voice echoed through the rooms and corridors, in sync with the heavy rain. 

             With a sluggish moment, Yui roused herself. Her gaze was drawn to a nearby shallow puddle formed by the rain, where her small reflection greeted her with drool. A messy haired girl in her favourite yellow summer dress should look somewhat dreamy. But instead, her puffed-up golden hazel eyes and a forehead bigger than nana’s garden, made sure that wasn’t the case. As she fixed her long black hair and tidied up her dress, Yui found her gaze shifted on the window, where the raindrops continued their advance. 

             “Not the best day for a jog,” she mused as she reached for the juice box and snacked on the watermelons. Despite the rain and the muddy ground, Yui knew that she had to jog. It was part of her recovery process, advised by the doctors before she was allowed to return home. Yui wasn’t a particularly healthy child, spending much of her childhood confined to a hospital bed. Oh, how simple her life would’ve been if she could just wish away all her troubles. Then again, miracles like that only existed in nana’s fairytales. The reality, however, dictated a much different path—one of enduring the painful recovery process, with bitter medicines and needles that Yui dreaded so much. 

             “Enough dwindling,” Yui shook her head, determined to make the most of her newfound freedom. Though her recovery was not yet complete, the doctor has granted her permission to leave the confines of the hospital and live with her Nana. Yui adored Nana’s house as much as she adored her grandmother. The vast courtyard, delicious meals, endless snacks, and breath-taking mountain view were just ones of the many things it had to offer. Yui really hoped that she could stay here forever, but first, she had to recover. 

             Putting on her usual yellow raincoat, Yui grabbed what’s left of the juice box and made her way to the front door. 

             “I’m leaving, Nana,” Yui announced, to which Nana replied, 

             “The raincoat and the umbrella, don't forget them, child.” and waved her pale hands steadily from across the room. It seemed like Nana was busy today, or else she would’ve sent Yui off. 

             On days like this, Yui would wander through this small resort town, allowing her curiosity to guide her path. She would follow the path dictated by the wind, free from any concerns about her safety. Then again, for her, Nana’s hometown, Yomikiri, had been the safest haven on earth. As far as Yui could recall, there had been no crime or drama, only a few cases of missing people. Which Yui thought was fine because the missing people weren't completely gone; they were just silly and got lost. While it wouldn’t make too much sense for non-local, Nana’s hometown was adorned with ancient shrines, serene graveyards, and secluded caves which attracted many people to have their own exploration adventure. Some got a little too adventurous. But not Yui, she has always been a good girl. She knew how to take care of herself. 

             As Yui was wandering, she found a young boy her age playing around with a mud. He wore a muddy jean overall and unusually large straw hat which Yui thought was cute. He gave Yui a smile and asked her if she wanted to play too? Yui nodded, of course she would. How long has it been since she last made a friend of her age? A year? While Hospital had its fair share of aunties, uncles, and nurses, it was uncommon to find a kid her age, let alone be friends with them. So, Yui was excited, she would finally make a friend after all. The boy told her to follow him as they run astray from the muddy road. He jumped into the forest which Yui would quickly follow. Unlike Yui, the boy ran fast and true, making it nearly impossible for someone like her to catch up to him. Perhaps it was her umbrella that was slowing her down. Yui threw it away and carried on. But it was for naught. Before she noticed, the strange boy had vanished, and Yui was lost. 

             As she wandered around following the boy’s muddy footsteps, Yui discovered a shrine. It stood untouched, surrounded by scattered vines and rusted leaves. Stone lanterns and statues adorned its surroundings, some slightly askew but otherwise intact. As Yui approached, the stubborn rain ceased, and rays of sunlight pierced through the canopy, casting an ethereal glow. The sight was otherworldly, filling Yui with hope.  

             “It can't be a coincidence,” Yui thought. The boy could be a fairy leading her to this shrine so he could grant her wish. Something about the shrine sparked a belief within her that perhaps, with a strong enough wish, she too could find a miracle. Mimicking Nana’s prayers, Yui clasped her hands together and prayed. At first the forest was quiet, with only the sound of the rustling leaves could be heard. And then, it answered. 

             The soft, melodic sound of chimes piqued Yui’s curiosity, and she searched for its source. To her surprise, it was coming from a set of stairs onwards behind the shrine. Yui followed and soon found herself a sight that she couldn’t fully comprehend. It stretched like an endless expanse of white, resembling an ocean in its vastness. The boundaries seemed elusive, creating an impression of a small lake. As she stood there, mystified, the surrounding land was veiled in a hazy mist, akin to a velvet curtain draped over the forest. Yet, the spectacle that seized her attention lay at the heart — a pair of towering, hollow tree trunks. Massive branches extended across the lake like regal antlers, bereft of leaves but adorned with countless shimmering silver bells, serving as ethereal substitutes for foliage. Positioned just before these husks stood a red Torii gate, accompanied by a small, engraved stone near the shore.

             Entranced, Yui was beckoned by the hollow wind and the ever-growing harmony of the endless chimes. Her curiosity drew her closer to the shore, yearning for a closer look at the bells. The first thing that caught her attention was the stone, bearing the words,  

             “The Lake of the children,” 

            "A tribute for the kids?" Yui wondered aloud; her optimistic eyes then turned toward the shores, expecting to find other children to play with. Instead, what met her gaze were numerous pairs of shoes, each in various sizes and colors, neatly arranged and all pointing towards the central husks. Intrigued, Yui followed the seemly endless path outlined by the shoes, encircling the vast lake until she returned to where she started. Oddly enough, this time, instead of an engraved stone, there stood a makeshift shop. 

             The shop was simple. It sat on a worn-out carpet, has silver bells on display and hosted by a plump man wearing a familiar yet unnaturally large straw hat. A wide grin adored the shopkeeper face, giving Yui an uneasy feeling. As he noticed her presence, his smile widened, and spoke in a raspy tone. 

             “Little Girl, Little Girl, do you have a wish to tell?” his voice resonated while the chimes echoed in the background. 

             “A wish?” Yui thought to herself. “Oh, this must be that part where one tells their wishes and the fairy grants them,” Yui was happy. Of course, she would. Those fairytales were real after all. 

             “Yes, I do have one, do you really grant wishes, mister?” Yui asked, brimming with hope. 

             “Little Girl, Little Girl, I’ll grant your wish just tell,” the man replied as the chimes chimed in anticipation.  

             With little hesitation, Yui expressed her heartfelt desire, “I … I want to be healthy. So healthy that I’ll never have to return to that lonely hospital bed again!” 

             The man’s smile widened even further, almost appearing as if it would consume his face. Amidst the deafening chimes, he handed Yui a shiny silver bell. 

             “Little Girl, Little Girl, the wish you tell, shall be there,” he announced, pointing towards the twin husks where thousand bells chimed in anticipation. It seemed like the man wanted her to place the bell there. 

             “But I can’t swim,” Yui voiced her concern, only to receive no response. The man stood still, as motionless as a statue, as he handed her the silver bell. Yui could hear his rugged breath, but he uttered no further words. Though uncertain of what to do next, she still yearned for her wish to come true. Filled with trepidation, she accepted the bell and approached the shore.  

             For a moment, fear gripped Yui. The lake was vast, and there were no boats in sight. However, her fears quickly dissipated when she tested the water. It was shallow, not even reaching her elbows. Overjoyed, Yui concluded that it would be a piece of cake. Just before she leaped into the water, Yui remembered about her shoes. She couldn’t let her socks get wet in this sticky, milky stuff. Last time she played in the mud, Nana scolded her for getting her shoes messy. Yui removed her shoes and socks, arranging them neatly by the shore.  

             “Now let grant me some wish,” Yui thought, a smile gracing her face as she dashed into the water, determined to fulfil her wish. 

             Despite the lake's massive size, Yui felt like she could reach the centre in just a few steps. The white water she jumped into was sticky and smelled strongly of earth. Not only that, but the closer she got to the centre, the more difficult it felt to take another step. Yui felt heavy, as if she was being dragged by someone or something. But she was adamant. The bells also encouraged her as she struggled little by little until her hands finally managed to grasp the roots of the rotting husks. Yui made it to the centre. 

             The dying husks of what were once mighty oak trees stood in front, as the chiming bells applauded her performance. The air here felt almost otherworldly; a light aroma of blood mixed with ashes tickled Yui's nose as she tried to find a perfect spot for her silver bell. There, a short branch with a twig awaited, a perfect spot for someone her height. Yui was ecstatic, much like when she got to open a birthday present. It was almost too surreal to believe that this was really happening.  

            Yet, her joy was abruptly cut short. Right when she was reaching for the branch, it snapped. Yui stood frozen, a mix of shock and confusion clouding her expression. Did she slip, perhaps? Although Yui had faced numerous scoldings for her clumsiness before, she had learned her lessons well. She kept her hands steady. Yui was right; it wasn't her fault. It was the lake.

             First, came the smell. It was something Yui knew by heart, a smell of death, reminiscent of the hospital but far more putrid. It was coming from the lake. To be more precise, it was coming from the rumbling husks in front. Second, came the silence. The fellow chimes ceased their lullaby, and the playful wind fell flat. It felt as if everything just died. Yui fell into the lake. Third, came a laughter. A sinister, mocking laughter emanating from behind her like creeping maggots. Yui looked back and found the culprit. It was coming from the creepy straw-hat man. His smile now completely breaking his face, tearing his flesh as he continued to humour her naiveness. Yui felt the dread, but it was too late, as it was already behind her. Forth, came the horror. 

             Something colossal and dreadful stood behind Yui, swallowing her up entirely with its shadow. Yui was horrified. She didn’t want to turn around and look but she had little choice. Behind her stood the source of stench and decay, a nightmarish husk of a creature, drooling heavily with each fouling breath. It has a shape of an abnormal deer, head of a mummified lizard & rugged fur of a hound. The twin husks atop its head mirrored the horns of a majestic creature, while the lake itself was its flesh & bones. Gazing down at the little girl, the thing exuded no kindness, only hunger, pure unsustainable hunger. Endless rows of razor-shape claws lined its maw as it opened far wider, revealing the abyss beneath. An abyss populated by the decaying husks of naive children. The creature took its bite and darkness enveloped Yui.      

             In the abyss of impenetrable darkness, colored with the stench of death and decay, Yui found herself cowering. Even in the absence of light, the foul aroma of rotting flesh enveloped Yui, causing her to tremble in every fiber, gripped by fear, while an eerie thudding echoed from the shadows.

             Suddenly, her yellow raincoat emitted a spectral radiance, casting a soft glow on her nightmarish surroundings. Wrapped in its warmth, Yui gradually eased, although her hands continued to shake. After a moment, the raincoat detached itself and hovered before Yui.

             "Fear not, child. Follow me," it spoke, drifting into the void, illuminating the path.

             "Wait! don't leave me," Yui pleaded, scrambling amidst bloated bodies to catch up with the floating raincoat.

             The raincoat paused near what seemed to be an immense, pulsating heart, its rhythmic beats echoing through the desolate void. Pointing, it uttered, "Consume it, and all shall be well."

             "How? I ... I don't understand. Please, can't you just let me out?" Yui implored, tears streaming down her face. The raincoat remained silent, gesturing eerily towards the beating heart.

             Bewildered, Yui stood frozen. She knew what she had to do, but the uncertainty of whether she could, overwhelmed her. After a prolonged pause, the unsettling sounds behind her and the echoes from the void invaded her thoughts. Confused and terrified by everything, she longed for an end to it all. Finally succumbing to the pressure, she reluctantly took a bite.

             In the blink of an eye, the cosmos transformed into her maw, and the earth became her teeth. Yui savored the essence of the creature's mangled heart, attuned to its final, anguished wails as her unyielding jaws pulverized every morsel. Its flesh, coarse and tainted, yet strangely sweet, akin to her afternoon snack. After a sight no sane ones should see, the being dissolved and became one.

             The man followed suit, but this time, he wasn’t smiling.

             Yui awoke to find herself at the bottom of the muddy road leading to the town. Her body damp from the heavy rain and her clothes clinging to her skin. Beside her, sat an old man, his face lined with concerns as he scolded her for not being more careful on these slippery roads. 

             “Did I ... slip?” Yui whispered to herself as she struggled back to her bare feet. In front, familiar town stood still with the same cloudy sky and the stubborn rain. There were no chimes, mystical lakes or that creature.  

             “It was a dream,” Yui couldn’t help but laugh at her own silly self as she sat in the pouring rain. The old man quickly bolted, obviously thinking Yui was insane. But Yui knew she wasn’t. While it was true that, she often has strange dreams and was prone to clumsiness, Yui was of sound mind. As she picked up her broken umbrella, she noticed a glimpse of her reflection in a pool of standing water. Her hair was soaking wet, and her lips were drenched with blood. Of course, she must’ve bit them during her fall. How clumsy. Yui wiped some and swallowed the rest. The taste was bitter at first but turned sweet in just the right moment. 

Part 1: End 

End of Chapter 0

0