Chapter 1: The Third Bell Rumor (Part 7: Dream Weavers)
106 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 1: The Third Bell Rumor

Part 7: Dream Weavers

               Maaya had steeled herself for a fierce showdown with Ryo Kiyosaki within the labyrinthine corridors, but what she stumbled upon was a reality far more surreal and Eldritch. A feeling of gazing into something abnormal that rested just beyond the knowing universe. 

               Before her, the boundaries between walls and floors dissolved, giving way to an expansive abyss adorned with countless stars. These stars didn't emit a radiant glow; instead, they hummed as they observed and waited patiently. The dark void itself seemed to throb with life, as if concealing some hidden presence. With cautious steps, Maaya ventured into this enigmatic realm, a sensation of being watched but not hindered with her every move. She peered ahead, following the trail of bloodstains that led deeper into the enormous, slumbering star. 

               There, amidst the nightmarish scene, stood a figure Maaya knew all too well: Ryo. His mangled body lay partially consumed by the colossal star, and just within his grotesque grip, Yui slumbered as though a puppet severed from its strings. The horrors that surrounded her mattered little, for Maaya's sole purpose was to save her friend, Yui. Donning her backpack as a makeshift shield, Maaya approached with caution, managing to grab the peacefully sleeping girl. But as she began to retreat from the engulfing star, it quivered. 

               Ryo, half-devoured, twitched and clawed his way out of the star, a manifestation of sheer desperation. Even though half of his body were no more, he lived on, like a wounded beast on its very last stand. The very abyss itself quaked and shifted, causing Maaya to slip and tumble, separating her from the still-slumbering Yui. Amidst the chaos that ensued, Ryo charged forward, ready to cleave through even the abyss itself. With each frenzied slice, he tore open the shroud of darkness, revealing layers and layers of flesh and bones, accompanied by the mournful wails of the dreaming stars. Though his actions seemed chaotic, they held a sinister purpose, evident as Maaya noticed his clawed appendages inching closer to none other than the sleeping girl, Yui.  

               With determination blazing in her eyes, she seized the backpack, brandishing it like a makeshift boulder, and yelled, 

               "HEY! You! You ugly thing! Why don't you pick on someone your own size?"  

               As those words left her lips, the very sky of the abyss ruptured, birthing an unending procession of gaping maws, all converging on Ryo. While he grappled with the onslaught of these maws, Maaya summoned her last reservoir of strength and hurled her entire backpack at him, connecting with a resounding thud to his head. With one last deafening roar, he crumpled, devoured by the abyss as if ensnared in the merciless grip of quicksand. Now that Ryo's menace had disappeared, Maaya went over to the sleeping girl who remained peaceful with a steady heartbeat. Yui was safe, but Maaya still had to carry her out of this place. As she took a heavy breath and piggy bagged Yui, familiar voices started calling out her name, 

               "Maaya!! HEY! Come towards us, QUICK!" Miyo and Hana's voices echoed from the edge of the abyss, their faces a mix of shock and an oddity — adorned with a bright glowing yellow scarf wrapped around their necks. Maaya longed to shout back, but her voice betrayed her. Instead, she waved vigorously, a gesture that briefly filled her heart with an overwhelming sense of relief. However, that moment of solace quickly unraveled. 

               The abyss beneath her feet began to pull, devoid of any discernible direction except down. Desperation fueled her attempts to run, but carrying Yui hindered her speed. With the ground itself conspiring to anchor her, she knew that one misstep would mean her inevitable descent. Miyo and Hana, quick to perceive her plight, devised a plan. Miyo held Hana's hand and stretched herself toward Maaya, offering a broom that they for some reason had on hand. 

               Even if Maaya could reach the broom, it was too slippery to grasp securely. Despite the ominous creaking in her legs and the dizziness clouding her mind, she pressed on, each step a fight against the relentless pull of the abyss. But then, the inevitable happened — she slipped. In the darkest moment of despair, a brilliant flash of yellow streaked toward Maaya's head with astonishing speed. While she couldn't quite discern its nature, amidst the encroaching abyss, it felt like a glimmer of hope. Instinctively, she reached out, catching it, grabbing it tightly and shutting her eyes. Amidst the sound of rending flesh and harrowing cries, an eerie stillness enveloped everything. And then, like a gentle awakening, light flooded in. It was a soft, comforting radiance, akin to the gentle sunlight filtering through the leaves on a tranquil afternoon. 

               In the blink of an eye, Maaya found herself seated in a grimy school hallway. It was an ordinary, familiar kind of grime, the kind that was unique only to the Minamitani high school. Her school. Maaya was home. 

               “MAAYA!” Familiar voices, belonging to Miyo and Hana, shook her awake as they rushed toward her, enveloping her in a warm hug. 

               “MIYO! HANA! I'm so sorry, guys. You were right. Oh God, how I missed you two,” Maaya spoke, her voice hoarse, the pain felt in every muscle. 

               "Why are you saying sorry, you goof?" Miyo scolded, following up with an even tighter hug, "but thank God, Maaya, thank God, you made it,"

               “I thought you were gone forever,” Hana exclaimed, brawling her eyes out. 

               “How ... how did I make it? I thought I was a goner for sure?” Maaya looked around and found herself holding the end of a yellow scarf that her two friends wore. 

               “Miyo threw it, the scarf. As long as it wraps around you, it can get you out of the dream,” Hana explained. 

               “Righttt ... the dream, the scarf. Wait, ... how on earth did you guys throw a scarf that far?” Maaya questioned, her fractured mind still grappling with the mystery of her survival. 

               “Well, after our spat, I happened to buy an extra coffee can, thinking I might toss it at your stupid head or something. Funny enough, it was still in my pocket so I took my chance,” Miyo gestured towards the knot at the end of the scarf, unveiling the vending machine coffee can inside.

              “Oh, Miyo,” Maaya stuttered, tears swelling in her eyes. “I... I... I'm sorry. And thank you, for the coffee.” Maaya grab the dented-can and managed a brave smile. 

               “Shut it, you goof. You owe us a coffee can,” Miyo retorted, with a poorly feigned annoyance.

               “Umm, I'll take grape juice,” Hana added, like they were ordering a takeout.

               “Of course, anything for my best girls,” Maaya responded, her sincere appreciation embracing them both. The lively laughter echoed around them, drawing confused glances from rushing passersby who couldn't quite understand the spectacle of three weirdos hugging in the middle of the dirty hallway. But despite the odd looks & judging eyebrows, it felt just right. The bell also chimed, as if in celebration of their victory, but this time, there was no ominous third bell to follow. 

               Yet, a nagging sense of something awry lingered in Maaya's mind, just out of reach. While she clutched her friends’ yellow scarf in one hand, she held a bloodied raincoat in the other. Memories slipped through her grasp like fragments of a fading dream. For now, though, she was simply grateful that it was all over. 

Part 7: End 

0