The Drawer
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It had been a while since I had purchased a study table. I bought it online from a second-hand shop, and it was quite affordable. Finding such a beautiful desk at the current market prices was indeed a stroke of luck.

Back when I lived at home, studying always took place at my table. However, after getting into university, I had to stay far from home. There was no study table here; all I had was a bed. I would sit on the bed and study, but it was never as comfortable or efficient. That's when the idea to buy a table struck me.

There was one peculiar feature about the table: its drawer was unusually large. If you stretched your legs inside it, you'd fit completely. However, it didn't seem to cause any trouble; the problem lay elsewhere.

From the moment I bought the table, I started having a strange recurring dream. After I went to bed at night, I couldn't tell exactly when, I would find myself concealed within the dream like a phantom. To put it simply, I was paralyzed. I could only see through the corner of my eyes.

A humanoid creature emerged from the drawer, moving excruciatingly slowly, almost like a tortoise with measured steps. I could sense it was struggling to offer something; it appeared to be a painful endeavor. Nevertheless, it gradually approached and eventually made its way to the center of the room. Then, it came to a halt. It sat down, crossed its legs, and remained still. There was no further commotion.

What made it even stranger was that I could understand what this creature was doing by looking at the corners of my eyes. When the morning light breaks, it seemed like it had received some signal. It would slowly return to the drawer, struggling to fit inside. However, the moment it entered the drawer, the dream would abruptly end. 

This bizarre dream became a daily occurrence. The enigmatic creature, struggling as it slowly emerged from the drawer, made its way towards the center of the room. Each time, I lay there concealed, just like the night before, paralyzed, unable to move.

Now, as I stand in front of my table, I wonder. During the day, everything is explained away as mere illusions. Can the story I've spun be anything more than an extravagant explanation? Is it not simply an embellished tale? Perhaps, the humor in it is more in the narration than in the actual events.

***

Even today, I find myself witnessing the same incident in my dreams. The creature emerges and moves slowly towards the center of the room, still concealed. I am paralyzed too. My mind is active, but I remain motionless.

Suddenly, a loud "ding-dong" sound breaks the silence as my mobile phone, placed near my head, starts ringing. Someone has called me at this hour of the night. Oh no! I have forgotten to put it on silent.

I can hear the sounds of movement in the middle of the room. Not everything was a dream? The creature seems to be moving, and it appears to be taking notice of me. What was happening? The morning light has not been broke yet.

In my concealed state, I can feel something approaching me slowly, step by step. I have no strength left, and I am unable to move my body. It is as if the creature is gradually inching closer to me.

The growling grew louder, more distinct. Its intensity was increasing, and I was beginning to discern a note of aggression in the creature's vocalizations. Something was going horribly wrong.

I can clearly hear the sound of breathing, growing increasingly intense. If the intensity of the sound is any indication, it is getting closer.

***

In the distance, the faint call to prayer at dawn can be heard. Morning light is breaking out. I received the signal and must return to my own world. I have to left this place. I received the signal and must return to my own world. I lift my head a little, struggling to do so. I feel a force within me, and my body slowly turns towards me. My body feels heavy.

Giving away the struggle, I finally succeed in placing myself beside the creature. I can clearly hear the sound of labored breathing. The intensity of the sound keeps increasing.

It had taken quite an effort to reach this point. The purpose was singular—the drawer! The elusive drawer I had been yearning to reach for so long. Despite the challenges, it was the only goal.

Epilogue

Niyaz stands in front of the new table he bought cheaply. It's good looking, but, has an oversized drawer. Apparently, the previous tenant in this place was a university student who fled without paying rent. So, the landlord sold off all his belongings.

Niyaz is happy to have found the table at a bargain. But there's one problem—ever since getting the table, he's been having strange dreams every night.

0