Chapter 3: The first journey
20 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A week had passed but he finally made it out. All his studying had payed off. Saito wasn't sure how strong his magic was but he felt like his ability the feel the mana in his surrounding was another story.

 

Feeling the core of his mana felt natural. Like wind flowing he was able to immediately tell that the core of his mana was his heart. With that in mind he began practicing moving his mana all around his body, release a little bit of mana and taking it back in. Like breathing. He would get tired after doing it on and on without stopping, which means thats probably when he ran out of mana.

 

This training was what led him to feel the presence of mana and able to tell that the cave was hidden by illusion magic. Which could have been done by the use of either light or dark magic. One of the few ways to see through such magic was to have high perception towards mana. Which was uncommon if not rare within human race.

 

Though there was still a huge problem. He knew illusion magic was casted but it didn't mean he could release it. He was still trapped there. The only thing he could have done was to keep on studying until he found an answer.

 

He can only thank the ring for being able to see sunlight again. After learning how to feel mana, he started fine tuning his ability and started to release mana more frequently which fundamentally meant he was using magic. 

To use proper magic he needed to chant what type of magic he wanted if not he'd only be releasing mana without a purpose, but to him who knows nothing. It was the best training he could have asked for.

 

"True Elements" Did teach quite a few amount of chants. Creating fire, raising the earth, blowing the wind, flood with water etc... But flowing mana without chanting had the greatest effect on his training, so he continued to do so while studying.

 

One thing he learned at the end was objects with magical properties. Usually the case was that accessories or weapons are embedded with magic upon their creation. The process was hard to produce, only master of the craft could pull it off perfectly.

A magic item could have wide variety of effects some had magic that is used to attack or some even for utility. The way to active magical items was that you needed to put mana into it.

Having doubt from the start that this ring was anything but ordinary, Saito tried to flow his mana to the ring.

 

After letting his magic flow to the ring nothing happened, well not exactly. He felt like the ring was pointing him in certain direction like it was telling him to reach out for something.

 

Following the direction of the ring led him to a wall beside the bookshelf. To his surprise, the moment he touched the wall. A long hallway revealed itself. "The magic was dispelled?" Staying for a week, he started to understand the concept of magic, and the books he couldn't understand before had become bearable. But he couldn't understand why he could have read these books in the first place or why he was even here.

 

Following the tunnel led him to where he was now.

 

"The ring led me here... The one summoned me must have wanted me to use it then... But why? And where is this person..."

This ring was something special. Not only did it led him outside, it clearly has magical properties but what exactly made him wonder.

Was it giving knowledge? A way to escape? He decided to let it be for now.

He didn't know how common magic was, nor how basic the ability to feel mana compared to the native of this world but based on the books he read, what he had must be at least something note worthy. Especially since he is "human".

 

Immediately after leaving the cave he found himself in a forest, and there was boulder behind him. If he used the ring, the boulder would lead him back to the cave. The cave didn't have any food left. The only thing he brought with him was the robe and the mask.

He thought about bringing "The world's Archive" with him but felt it was probably not a good idea. If someone sees that he had such book with him, he'd most likely get killed for it. Unless for some reason all of this was common knowledge which he doubt very much, but even then a compilation of such information would not be something to scoff at. At least thats what he believe. The "Internet" isn't likely to exist in this world after all.

 

Even so, it didn't stop him from remembering everything he needed from the book. He knew that if he had manage to escape he would be in small wooded area near the Forest of Disappearance. On a side note it seems allot of people went missing from accidently going inside the the Forest of Disappearance when they passed this area.

 

He was in Krevand. One of two human kingdom in this world. The Beastkin and Djinn had their own kingdom too, while the elves had their kingdom in the forest which their location is hidden through spirit magic. Although it seems like currently there aren't any wars. It didn't mean it a was peaceful either. Elves since long ago was always the targeted race, for allot of reason, depending on the time of day. Spirit magic, Alchemy, Magic Craft etc...

 

He didn't know why he was summoned or how, but he didn't care. It was a fresh start and if he died, it wouldn't have really mattered.

Though he would still consider himself ignorant he was still armed with enough knowledge and magic to survive. He knew strong monsters are nearby but as long as he knows whats he's doing there shouldn't be a problem.

So his journey began as he heads to the closest city he knew, Volunm.

 

He walked to his left side to find a clearing with a fork road. He knew where to go and continued to reach where he needed to be, Volunm. Nothing eventful happening until he needed to stop for a rest. He had been walking for what feels like hours. Saito rested his back on tree for three minutes until he heard the rustling of the brush and a low growl accompanying it.

 

Saito slowly gets up back away slowly and the animal, no, the monster revealed itself. A skinny wolf creature appeared and its size felt like three time larger than any wolf should be. Its fangs protrude from its mouth while its fur colored black and red.  It glared at him looking as though it has found its prey and intimidated him with a loud howl.

 

He didn't remember reading about wolf like creature living near the area, so it mustn't have a been a monster worth writing about. But it didn't mean his current self could fight it. He didn't have anyway to fight expect for magic and should that not worked he was screwed.

Running wasn't an option seeing how this monster able to sneak this close to me without me hearing him coming. 

"Well here goes nothing I guess my first fight.As Saito began chanting the wolf dashed at him seemingly to notice he was preparing an attack "Did the wolf notice me casting magic? well, it doesn't matter." "Fire Burns deep, the creature infront." A quick chant as he held out his hand and a bolt of fire shot and hit the wolf.

AwooooooooooooOOO

 

The beast screamed in agony and stopped its advance. On its last leg the wolf swayed left and right struggling to escape until it drew its final breath and fell.

"I knew that the monsters here weren't that strong but I didn't expect it to die in one shot" He had actually casted two spell, the fire bolt and a stone wall. It was a defense magic to stop the wolf if it didn't stop advancing towards him. It was a happy outcome that it was unneeded.

"Am I strong for killing it as quick as one spell? Or was the wolf that weak?"

 

Since the wolf wasn't written in the bestiary of "The world's archive" perhaps even a a common person could have killed it. Still he had to moved on. Perhaps that howl was to call more of its kind. "I rather not test my luck." And continued onwards.

 

 

It was a relatively safe journey after that. He had met another two wolf but killed it no problem and finally the city was infront of him.

 

A large city with stone walls circling around it. The city's structure was reminiscence of medieval era. All around the wall was guards on patrol. Infront of the gated entrance was an outpost, quite an amount of guards are standing there. They're wearing what you'd expect in a fantasy world. Old metal armor and some were wearing leather.

 

All the books he read didn't really talk about basic logic of this world. Was there somekind of identification he needed? Did he need to pay to enter a city? He had allot to learn when it comes such things, but what worried him most was that if they could understand what he was saying.

"Is what saying being translated to them?"

 

There was a few group of people infront of the gate, it seems they're waiting in line as the soldiers are checking up on them. Saito got close to the gate to eavesdrop and peak to see if can learn anything but to his surprise, they weren't paying any money nor were they showing any form of paper or anything.

 

Maybe its because these people are a resident of this city so the guards have seen them allot? Or maybe they had some kind of emblem on their person so they could pass without much trouble? It could have been anything, all he knew was that he wasn't learning anything and he'd rather get this over with while theres still people around rather then going in later.

 

He steeled himself and waited in line.

0