Chapter Five
56 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“You know what I want. Information.”

Taking a drag from her cigarette and puffing out the smoke, Madame Kay smirks at Harold’s remark. “Of course, what else would it be? Alright. Go on and ask. What do you need to know?” she states resting her chin on her hand.

“Who’s trafficking slaves? Specifically children.”

“Oh? That’s a tall order that you’ve given me. Intel like that doesn’t come by everyday you know?”

“I know. Just tell me the price already. I’m on a tight schedule, Kay.”

“Hm? Is that so, Harold? Well then…” Madame Kay questions as she places her cigarette holder into her mouth. She stares at Harold as he stands cross-armed, then scans the fidgeting Lauren. Raising two fingers she states, “I want two things from you. One: I need your particular set of skills. And two: the girl. She’s filthy and needs a bath immediately.” Madame Kay demands as she points to Lauren with the burning end of her cigarette.

“What? That’s it? No gold or anything? Just a job for me and a bath for the girl?”

“That’s it. Though the job I have for you will be quite troublesome…”

“Kay. You know that I always get the job done regardless of the trouble.”

She chuckles at Harold’s statement. “True. Unnecessary worry I suppose. But what about the girl?”

“Right… Well then… Lauren. You heard the lady. She wants to give you a bath,” Harold says as he pushes Lauren forward causing her to squeak in surprise.

“M-me? A bath?” 

“Yeah. Part of the deal.”

“Don’t worry, sweetie. My pixies will take care of you… Katerina!!”

Shouting her name, Madame Kay summons her maid servant to her side. “Yes Madame Kay?”

“Bring this girl to one of the Pixie’s baths and have them give her a good scrubbing from head to toe. Make sure they don’t forget to wash behind the ears or forget the grime beneath the nails. Oh right, and a change of clothes for her too.”

“As you wish, Madame,” the maid states as she bows to her mistress. Obliging to her request, she goes towards Lauren. “If you may follow me, my lady,” she stoically says as she directs the way.

“Uhhhh? Mr. Sasse?” Lauren timidly calls for Harold, not knowing what to do in this situation. 

Harold waves his hand, shooing away Lauren. “Go on. Take your bath. Might as well enjoy it too while you're at it.”

“O-okay…” uneasily accepting the invitation to the baths, Lauren follows the maid known as Katerina out of the room as she is being led to the bathing rooms.

Watching them leave, Harold and Madame Kay restart their business talk. “What’s the job?” Harold asks moments after the doors close behind Lauren.

“Assassination.”

“And who’s my target?” 

“ Baron Frederick Coulkett’s eldest son, Albert Coulkett.”

“Alright. But, what did this kid do to get himself killed?”

“Spoiled brat went too far in his overindulgence. Drugging one too many of my pixies and daring to go as far as strangling one to death,” Kay scowls as she talks about the target. “I believe it’s time to pay the pied piper with interest.”

Motioning for a chair, Harold asks another question as he takes his seat. “What about the rest of his household? Should I kill them too? Family? Servants?”

“Of course,” Kay states, flicking the ash off her cigarette. “Leave no one alive and leave nothing behind.”

“Wonderful. That makes everything so much easier.”

Following the maid throughout the hallway, Lauren looks around as she hears loud moaning and creaking coming through the walls and floors. Rubbing her arms, the girl feels incredibly awkward as she drags her lead feet. Eventually, Lauren finds herself and the maid in front of a closed room. The maid Katerina opens the door to reveal a porcelain bathtub filled with warm soapy water illuminated by numerous candle lights. “My lady, if you may wait here as I procure some helpers to bath you,” Katerina states with a bow as she exits the room.

“O-okay…” Lauren answers as she watches the maid close the door behind her. The teen looks around and to see what’s around. Candles and the bath of soapy water of course, but there are also petals of varying shades of red and pink on the ground with some furniture about. It’s rather dark. The curtains cover the windows, letting no moonlight in. Lauren dips her hand into the warm waters testing its temperature when the maid returns with the pixies in hand. Opening the door, Katerina lets in a trio of beautiful women; each with their own charms and niches to fill a man’s fantasy.

“Oh my… She… she is filthy…”

“Oh god! What is that smell…?”

Harsh comments about her appearance and odor strike Lauren the moment the doors swing open. “Hey! Shut it! The Madame told us to clean a girl up! And That is what we’ll do! And obviously she’ll be smelly and dirty if she needs a bath! So shut it!” the last of the pixies says harshly despite her appearance. Swinging her tied, blonde hair. She looks at Lauren with a bright smile. “It looks like you’re in need of a good scrubbing!”

“Uhh… that I am.”

“Then get undressed already!” the blonde woman orders as she comes at Lauren with hands at the ready. Getting to the girl, she quickly gets her undressed and throws her into the tub with a squeal.

“Madame says to be thorough, Hannah. Behind the ears and beneath the nails,” Katerina reiterates Kay’s commands to her.

“Of course! I’ll take good care of the girl! No worries!” Hannah says as she winks Katerina goodbye. 

The maid gives a light smile in response. “I’ll be getting her a fresh set of clothes for her to wear. I’ll be back,” Katerina states as she leaves the room; taking Lauren's dirty laundry as she closes the door behind her.

Grabbing a scrub and a loofah, Hannah rolls up her sleeves and begins to wash and scrub Lauren. “It looks like you haven’t seen a proper bath in over months,” Hannah notes as she watches the water turn gray with dirt and dust. “Caroline! Lori! Are you going to stand there or are you two going to help me!” she shouts at the two pixies on standby. Immediately jumping into action, the trio of pixies begin to give Lauren a bath, a massage, a manicure and a pedicure. The pixies give Lauren an entire spa treatment as they wash the grime and muck off her body. “And what is your name?” 

“L-Lauren…”

“Lauren is it? That’s a lovely name. So, where are you from Lauren? The countryside I suppose?” asks Hannah as she washes the girl’s back. 

“Yeah…”

“Ah! A country girl after my own heart! What village are you from? I’m from Hampstead myself.”

Lauren stays quiet at Hannah’s question. She instead lowers her head into the water and blows bubbles into it. “I… I’m from Norbury,” Lauren finally answers Hannah.

“Oh! Norbury? Must be a nice place. What brings you to Bistin though?”

“I’m trying to find my brother.”

“An older brother?”

“No… younger…”

“Hey give us your feet. We need to work on your toenails,” interrupts Lori as she grabs Lauren’s foot underwater.

“Oh right. Sorry.”

Giggling at Lori’s antics, Hannah continues with her questions.“Was he sent here to be an apprentice to one of the artisans?”

“No… no he wasn’t…”

“Is he staying with extended family? Perhaps an uncle or aunt?”

“Uhh… I… he… It’s…”

Sensing that Lauren did not want to continue with the conversation, Hannah switches topics. She takes a bar of scented soap and massages it into Lauren’s hair; taking longer than normal to foam due to all the filth. “Tell me about Norbury. What kind of place is it? Bet not much different from Hampstead with just farmlands and animals,” chuckles Hannah. Despite Hannah’s efforts in making small talk, Lauren doesn’t answer her immediately. Instead, the young girl struggles to find a suitable reply.

“Norbury… Norbury had kind people… and it… it was a nice place…” 

“Had? Was? Honey, you’re making it sound like there’s nothing left of the place,” Hannah says raising an eyebrow. Feeling worried, she asks, “What happened to make you leave? Did someone hurt you?”

“N-no… It’s nothing like what you are thinking happened… or at least most of it… I was… I was just…”

Caroline and Lori are looking at each other as they work on Lauren’s toenails. “Hey, you’re in a safe place now,” reassures Caroline. 

“You shouldn’t push yourself to answer if you don’t want to,” says Lori.

“...” 

Lauren doesn’t answer them nor look them in the eye. She stays silent as dark, emptiness swirls in her thoughts. The trio of women look at the young girl with anxiety as they look at Lauren’s scowling face. “Honey. Listen. No matter what happened in the past. That doesn’t define you who you are now,” remarks Hannah. 

“Hannah’s right you know! Your past doesn’t define your present!”

“Yeah!! Yeah!! What’s important is what you're doing now and what you’re going to do in the future!!”

“Is… Is that really true? That the past doesn’t matter?” Lauren asks; breaking her silence. “I… I don’t know… I don’t know if I can forgive myself for doing what I did back then.”

Not knowing how to answer her; Hannah, Caroline, and Lori look at each other with worried and apologetic expressions. “Honey. Do you need to talk about it? Get it off your chest? It doesn’t look like holding it in is doing you any good,” Hannah asks empathetically; rinsing the soap out of Lauren’s hair. 

“I honestly think you might feel better if you do,” comments Lori as she finishes up on Lauren’s foot.

“I know that it’s hard not having anyone to talk to. I’d go crazy if no one listened to me…” mopes Caroline as she too does her last touches to Lauren’s pedicure letting her foot go into the water. 

Lauren stares at the murky bath water as she bites her lower lip. “I… I… I was just too scared,” she lets out quietly. “I was too scared and because of me... My Dad… my Dad… he… he died because of me… and… and Paul… my… my younger brother… I couldn’t hold his hand tight enough and… and now… and now… and now he’s gone and he might be dead too and… and… AND I JUST DON’T KNOW WHAT TO DO!! WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO!? HE’S GONE AND IT'S ALL MY FAULT!! IT’S ALL MY FAULT!! IT’S ALL MY FAULT THAT EVERYONE’S DEAD!!” she screams in agony as she clutches her face in distress.

The pixies are taken aback by Lauren’s sudden wails of agony as they watch the girl bawl her eyes out incessantly; trying to understand her anguish. But as if something were tugging at her heartstrings, Hannah reaches her arms out and embraces Lauren; placing her head into her bosom. “It’s okay… it’s okay… shh… it’s okay…” Hannah recites into Lauren’s ear as she caresses the girl’s head. “It wasn’t your fault… None of it is your fault… You shouldn’t beat yourself up for something you can’t control…” Hannah says as she tries to comfort Lauren; not knowing her circumstances. 

“BUT! BUT! BUT!” Lauren shouts repeatedly between her struggling gasps of air.

“BUT NOTHING!… I… I don’t know what happened to you and your family back at your home… but… but I do know that regretting what was already done and what you could have done will just… will just lead you onto a perpetual cycle of disappointment and despair.”

“BUT… BUT I COULDN’T KEEP MY PROMISE! I WASN’T SUPPOSED TO LET GO! I PROMISED TO NOT LET GO FOR ANYTHING! BUT… BUT I STILL DID! I STILL DID THOUGH!”

Putting a hand on her shoulder, Caroline remarks, “That’s… that’s not your fault though…” 

“Lauren… You… you need to forgive yourself…” Lori adds. 

“BUT IT IS MY FAULT THOUGH!! EVERYTHING IS MY FAULT!!”

Hannah hugs Lauren tighter as she feels her cotton shirt get wet with tears as Caroline and Lori look at the embracing couple with dismal looks. Unable to calm down the girl, Hannah maintains her embrace on Lauren as she continues to cry loudly. What can be said? What can be done? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. The trio of women were at a loss in trying to comfort an anguish-filled girl as sobbing fills the rose scented room.  

Then comes Katerina the maid as she opens the door with a fresh set of clothes and boots in hand for Lauren to wear. “What did you girls do this time?” says Katerina despondently as she frowns at the three pixies.

In reaction the three pixies look at Katerina and scowl as Lauren continues her wailing not noticing who has come in. “W-we didn’t do anything wrong…” replies Lori.

“She… she’s has a lot on her shoulders… this girl…” comments Caroline as she brushes Lauren with the back of her fingers. 

Looking at the crying Lauren, Katerina makes a discouraged expression. “Well… I have the fresh clothes here,” she says walking over and placing it on a cushioned chair. “What happened?” Katerina mouths the question as she points to Hannah comforting Lauren.

Lori sucks her lips in and rolls her eyes in dismay. “I honestly don’t know… but we were just talking…” she whispers.

“She wouldn’t be like this if you were just talking though.”

“We were talking about her hometown and her family,” Hannah states stoically. 

“Oh…” Katerina woefully whispers. She looks at the young girl sobbing and remembers what she heard when she was with the madame. “Oh… that makes more sense.”

“What happened to her? Do you know?” Caroline quietly asks. 

“All I know is that she came in with an acquaintance of the Madame’s and he asked for information about… child trafficking…”

All eyes fell upon Lauren as Katerina utters those last few words slowly. Unable to say anything else, the adults in the room stay quiet as they think about what Lauren could have possibly gone through in her recent past. Pity is all they could feel as fabricated stories weave in their heads as the weeping comes to a gradual stop.

“We… we should probably get her dressed now… shouldn’t we?” questions Lori as she stands up to grab the clothes. 

Helping her to a stand, the pixies get Lauren out of the dirty bath water and begin to dry her body and hair with prepared towels in hand. They silently pat and rub her skin, wiping away the water left on her. Drying a puffy-eyed Lauren off, she mutters something to them quietly.

“Excuse me? Did you say something?” asks Caroline softly as she rubs a towel over the girl.

“I’m… sorry… I… I didn’t mean to cry like that…” Lauren murmurs sadly.

Hannah frowns at her apology. “You don’t need to apologize. You’re not to blame.”

“S-sorry… I… I feel like all I do is cry…”

“Honey… cry… cry all you want… we… we should be the ones apologizing for saying too much,” Hannah states as she dries Lauren’s chestnut hair. The girl stays quiet at Hannah’s remarks as she feels her skin being caressed by a number of towels; feeling slightly chilly as she stands there nude and shivering. Hannah grabs undergarments and a shirt from Lori as she passes the towel away. “Come here. Let’s get these clothes on you before you catch a cold.”

“O-okay…” Lauren says as she obediently let’s Hannah clothe her like a small child. The pixies then start putting one item on at a time. Undergarments first of course. A white blouse was next followed by a sturdy leather vest that hugged her petite figure but is still surprisingly breathable. Straight-fit black canvas pants held up by a leather belt with a bronze buckle. And finally, a pair of knee high boots laced all the way up. Being dressed like she was 7 years-old or like a play-doll, she comments, “These aren’t my clothes,” with an anxious expression. 

“Your old clothes were covered in mud, gunk, and blood. We thought it was better to throw them away and give you new ones.”

“But I have no money to pay for these.”

“You shouldn’t worry about it. We gave you those clothes to replace the ones that we threw away.”

“O-oh… thank… thank you…”

Katerina smiles slightly to put Lauren at ease. “You’re welcome, my lady.”

“Hey! That looks good on you!” comments Lori as she looks at Lauren at an angle. 

“This blouse is really cute! Oh and these black pants!” adds Caroline pointing and touching Lauren trying to cheer her up.

Smiling wryly, Lauren says her thank you’s. She then starts to look at her own visage before asking, “Is… is it really okay for me to have these? Aren’t these clothes expensive? They look expensive.”

“Of course. The Madame stated that you were to be given fresh clothing along with your bath.”

“R-right…”

“Well… since you are all finished. I will go notify the Madame and your companion that your bath is done.” Bowing, Katerina leaves the room once more to inform her mistress. 

Everyone watches the maid leave the room as Lauren feels her anxiety rise as the deafening silence permeates into an awkwardness. “I… I… just want to say that I am sorry again… about my crying. I… I haven’t been comforted like that in a long time and… and it kind of came out… s-sorry…” Lauren says miserably, casting her eyes downwards as she holds her arms. 

Not being able to hold back any longer, Caroline speaks up. “Lauren… you… What happened to you?”

Being at the center of attention, Lauren shuts up as she doesn’t know what to say or do. Looking around at the pixies, she can tell that they all want to know. And it bothers them to no end. The girl opens her mouth and tries to speak, but she just finds herself flapping her gums as no sound passes through. 

“We… we don’t want to force you or anything, but… but I don’t know… you just seem so distraught and… and it looked like it really hurts whatever it is,” Caroline comments timorously. 

“Girls, come on. This is just being insensitive right now,” reproaches Hannah, feeling that Lauren has had enough stress for tonight.

“N-no… it’s… it’s okay... I kind of do want to talk about it. And you were right before. Holding it in is not doing me any good.” Lauren brushes her bangs to the side as she takes a seat on one of the chairs. “I… I woke up to yelling…” she starts as she tells Hannah, Caroline, and Lori about what happened months ago. How she woke up in the middle of her village being raided at night. Her family’s evacuation attempt. The splitting of the family. Losing her brother in the fires. Being chased and captured by bandits. Meeting Harold and the apparent favor that he had owed her father being passed down to her. Even the 2 months of mundane traveling that they have done to get to Bistin. “Mr. Sasse told me that the chances of finding him are very low… He says I should continue on, but… but I don’t know… is it even worth it? I feel… I feel like disappointment is the only thing waiting for me at the end of this. Everything… Everything just looks so hopeless to me,” she states finishing her story to the trio of pixies.

The pixies all look at Lauren, taking in her backstory thus far as she poses her question to them. “Lauren… I don’t know what to really say…” answers Lori as she gives a look of pity.

“It’s hard to say… but… I think you should stop… That black knight guy. Mr. Sasse? Didn’t he say the chances are already slim and get slimmer as time passes? And hasn’t it already been two months? I… I’m sorry Lauren, but… it doesn’t seem great to me,” Caroline states her opinion; making Lauren grit her teeth a bit as she scrunches her eyebrows. 

Looking at the downtrodden Lauren, Hannah holds her tongue before saying anything. “You… you should keep searching for your brother.” She walks over to Lauren and squats so that she can be at eye level with her. Grabbing Lauren’s hands, Hannah continues. “You should keep looking for your brother… a girl needs a reason… a reason to keep on living…” she states as the pixie stares deep into Luaren’s eyes. 

“What… what do you mean by that…?” 

“Honey… when you’re one of us… life… life doesn’t exactly play fair,” Hannah states with a dry laugh. “I know that statement rings true with you. Doesn’t it?”

“Y-yeah…”

“Well, take it from me then. This little piece of advice from this old prostitute. Life has no meaning if there isn’t family. Right? You can make a new family with anyone, but it’s the people who you can rely on. People who you can count and trust upon. That is what keeps a person going. Even for a little bit. Even for a little bit longer…” 

Before Lauren could respond, Katerina opens the door and notifies her. “The Madame and your acquaintance request for your presence, my lady.”

Staring at Katerina with a slightly dazed expression, Lauren nods as a response and stands up. She faces the pixies and starts to say her farewells. “Thank you for the bath and listening to me… it… it really helped…” she mournfully thanks them. 

“Honey… just… just remember what I said… Keep looking for your brother and don’t lose sight of hope. Okay?”

Lauren gives a wry smile as she leaves. “Okay,” she answers back as Katerina closes the door on them.

Following Katerina back to the opulent fifth floor, the maid opens the door to Madame Kay’s private quarters as they enter into the middle of her conversation with the black knight. 

“Excuse me, Madame. I have brought Mr. Sasse’s companion back from her bath,” interrupts Katerina. 

“Ahh Katerina. Thank you. You may resume your original duties.”

“As you wish Madame,” Katerina states as she departs from Lauren’s side and stands waiting for Kay’s calls.

Looking at the now clean and fresh Lauren, Kay gives a satisfying smile. “Now you look fine and proper. Girls ought to be taking better care of their personal hygiene. No?” she asks, placing her cigarette holder into her mouth.

“Yeah… I suppose so,” the girl answers.

Blowing smoke she turns to look at Harold. “That reminds me. You haven’t said anything about why you have this girl with you.”

“Ah jeez. Why is everyone asking that question?” Harold huffs. “She’s the reason why I’m here. We’re looking for her kid brother.”

Kay starts to snicker. “Oh please Harold. No offense to you, Lauren dear. But, that sounds like a load of unpaid charity work. Something that I know that you don’t do,” she expresses flippantly as she addresses Lauren briefly.

Harold stays silent as he broods a little. After a small moment he begins to speak. “It’s something that I owe her; or rather her father. A favor is what I would call it in the simplest sense.”

“A favor?” Kay stares at Lauren, making her hairs stand on end. “I didn’t know you were the kind to give those out.”

“It was a special circumstance.”

“I see… I thought it was strange when I heard that you came with a teenage girl in rags.”

“Yeah. Now you know.” Harold states as he glances at Lauren. Giving it some thought, he asks, “Hey, Kay. Do you have any advice for the girl? She’s wet behind the ears and you’ve survived in this business as long as she’s been alive. Surely you got something for her.”

Kay frowns a bit as she raises an eyebrow. She then sits up and reaches for her ankles. Grabbing something, the madame tosses an object at Lauren. The sudden action scares the girl, but she manages to catch what was thrown. “Always carry two with you at all times,” Kay says pointing to the sheathed daggers given to her.

Hearing her piece of advice, Lauren looks down at the twin daggers in her hands. They were sleek and thin. Sheathed in a black guard they had simple cross hilt and pommel design. “What… what am I supposed to do with this?”

“Isn’t it obvious?” Kay asks with impunity. Making the motions with her hand she instructs, “Stab… and… twist… all you really need to know when using a dagger.”

Lauren stares at Kay with the sheathed blades in her hands as she contemplates what she said. Looking down at her hand, she glances at the daggers and imagines one of them going into someone’s stomach or torso. “I… I don’t know if I’m capable of doing that…” Luaren shudders at the thought.

“You shouldn’t worry about it too much anyways,” Kay states as she goes back into her previous relaxed position. “It will just boil down to a matter of circumstances in the end… It always does… Now are we done here?”

“What do you know about the Coulkett Estate?” Harold asks.

“Their estate? It’s about a week’s journey from Bistin in a town called Glanchester.”

“Anything else? Building blueprints? Number of guards?”

Snapping her fingers repeatedly and calling for a butler, she orders him to fetch the necessary documents for the assassin. Harold doesn’t wait long as he soon finds a map of the Coulkett Estate in his hands. “His guards number 15 to 25. Other than that, this is all I could really gather about the estate. The baron spent a decent sum to protect his home; even going so far as to line his walls with lead to prevent scrying spells and the like.”

“Hmm… is this really it? Better than most surveillance and protection? Surely there’s more to this.”

“Well… the baron also hired an adventurer group to guard, or rather babysit, his ill-tempered progeny away from mortal danger. They’re quite skilled actually from what I’ve heard. The Red Talon Troupe if I recall their name correctly.”

“Adventurers… great…” Harold grumbles. “You said that they’re skilled. How skilled are they?”

“Their leader, Graham Kite, is skilled enough to take on three men and best them singly and they have at least one spellcaster that is capable of 5th level spells.”

“Anything else you’ve heard about the rest of their troupe?”

“Well there’s a barbarian warrior and a ranger. And a peculiar bard also hangs around them too.”

“What bard isn’t peculiar? They’re all annoying with their incessant tune playing. Useless I say.”

“You should consider him deadly still. Despite the fact he still travels with them. No use in keeping a chatterbox if it has no use right?”

“It doesn’t matter,” Harold pouts. Getting up from his chair he motions Lauren to come as he starts to leave though he stops moments after. “When will you have the information ready?”

“It should be ready by the time you get back. I assume you will work fast as always?”

“Yeah, of course,” Harold states as he is being led out by Kay’s servant, motioning Lauren to come. 

Following him not far behind, Lauren stops and turns back briefly before leaving through the doors. “Thank you for… uh… the advice and the…” she smiles dryly as she raises the daggers slightly. “For the gift.” 

Kay blows some smoke out before she responds. “Hmph… consider it… a favor I suppose,” she states with a smirk. “Now then you should probably hurry up then. By now you should understand how Harold operates.”

“Oh, right. Well then if you may excuse me,” Lauren apologizes, giving a quick bow as she departs to follow Harold. 

Watching her leave Kay opens her mouth. “Don’t forget to twist after you stab. You’ll make it hurt more that way,” she states loudly to Lauren.

“R-right…” the girl replies as she watches the door close behind her. Lauren quickly catches up to Harold as she briskly walks after him. “Mr. Sasse, what are we going to do now?” she asks as the duo leave the building.

Walking through the red lit streets briefly, Harold answers her in a low voice; one in which only she can hear. “We're going to kill someone now,” states as they come across some hooligans messing around with Nightingale.

“What’s up with this horse, man? Why’s it even here?” a drunk man slurs.

Spilling his drink all around, his companion replies slowly. “Maybe… maybe… maybe it’s supposed to be someone's ride or something.”

“Yeah! Yeah that makes sense.”

“Hey idiots. Get away from the horse,” Harold growls at the two drunkards.

“Whoa man. Take it easy. We’re just… we’re just looking at this horse, man. No need to get fucking mean.”

“Yeah buddy, why don’t you take you fucking shitty attitude and fucking just go… just fucking… just fucking go over there man with your attitude,” says the friend as he spills the rest of his drink all over Harold as she tries to shove him. “Oh shit… my bad buddy, I didn’t mean-” he  apologizes before finding his face being caved in by a gauntlet. Falling to the ground, he immediately starts holding his bleeding nose. Sobering up immediately as she starts yelling and cursing in pain.

“Oh fuck, Bernard!” his drunken friend curses as he goes to help his friend. 

Harold quietly walks towards Nightingale and mounts it. “Are you ready to leave tonight or do you need to rest again?”

Staring at the two men off to the side she voices her thoughts. “I think it would be better to leave in the morning and travel like normal if it’s going to take a week, but I think I can go now.”

“Well let’s get going then.”

0