Chapter 2: Death and Reincarnation
199 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 2: Death and Reincarnation

 

Reiz Imperial Empire stood as the indomitable force in the heart of the central continent of Zufa. Nestled amidst mountains, forests, and rivers, it enjoyed unparalleled protection and abundant resources. Despite these blessings, the corruption among officials had cast a dark shadow over the empire, pushing the commoners to the brink of death.

In this turbulent landscape, Azeth Cromwell, a distinguished mage of the Imperial Court, emerged as a beacon of hope. Unlike the corrupt elite, he dedicated himself to the well-being of the common folk, ready to lay down his life for their sake.

Azeth implemented various reforms for the people, including the groundbreaking Act of Protection against monsters. Personally overseeing its enforcement, Azeth arrived at the impoverished lower City of Desh in a royal wagon, armed with the Court's permission.

"Sir Azeth Cromwell has arrived!" Cheers erupted as Azeth entered Desh, a city steeped in poverty. Riddled with dust and destitution, the city resembled a slum where even obtaining tattered clothing was a luxury.

Witnessing the dire conditions, Azeth's heart sank. Though it was his first visit, the palpable pain and suffering were unmistakable. Despite intending to protect the citizens from monsters dwelling in the nearby forests, the horrendous living conditions made him question the impact of his mission.

A skeptical voice among the crowd challenged him, "Protection from monsters? They're our salvation from this wretched hell! You want to take that from us!?"

Azeth was taken aback but reassured them, "Fear not, my brothers! Once the protection act is in place, I will take on the responsibility of improving this place. I will become Desh's lord and make everything right."

The agitated crowd, familiar with Azeth's reputation as the Grand Mage, found solace in his words. With determination, Azeth installed a temporary, multi-layered barrier that could withstand the attack even from an A rank monster at the city's outskirts, promising an improvement in their lives upon his return.

However, unbeknownst to Azeth, a sinister plot was unfolding. Jealous nobles and spiteful mages concocted a false rumor, accusing Azeth of plundering Desh's wealth, thereby causing its extreme poverty.

The gullible people, having heard directly from their friends, ended up suspecting Azeth. Of course, this was only the seed which sprouted later.

In Azeth's absence, officials raided his home, allegedly discovering a significant amount of gold coins. The news spread rapidly, transforming Azeth from a hero to a criminal.

Upon his return to Desh, Azeth was met with hostility. Stones were hurled at him, and despite his magical prowess, he allowed himself to be hit, bleeding as a symbolic gesture.

He could easily stop the stones, but the pain that he felt in the inside, and the accusations from the very people for whom he worked so long, made him reconsider his purpose and kindness.

Realizing the gravity of the situation, Azeth's butler, Hans, urged him to escape.

“Master! Looks like they are moved by the rumour and I don’t think they will stop at this. We must escape.”

“No Hans, they-”

“Master, we have no time!”, the butler, who was 50, a faithful servant, pulled his master into the wagon and drove it away, far away from the place, directly into the forest.

“Hans, why are we entering the forest?”

"Master, the entire empire has turned against you. Seek refuge in the forest; it's your safest haven now. Allow yourself a moment to rest and enjoy some tea, and entrust the rest to me."

Azeth's lips curled into a satisfied smile upon hearing those words. The faith he placed in Hans grew exponentially, but tragically, it was this very trust that led to his demise.

As he sipped the tea, a sudden depletion of mana within him gripped Azeth, causing him to cough up blood almost instantly.

“This…?”

“Hans! Looks-”

Cough!

“Looks like someone poisoned-,” he struggled to speak, his voice barely audible.

And at that moment, the wagon came to a halt. Hans descended and approached the door, swinging it open. Before him, Azeth knelt on the ground, gasping for breath.

“Hans-,” Azeth began to lift his left hand to seek help, but even through his blurred vision, he noticed Hans smirking.

“Kekeke, Master Azeth, oh, look at how pitiful you are. Keke.”

“???” Azeth's confusion deepened, his vision momentarily clearing.

“You should have known, being good in this world is a sin. And now, behold the price of that sin, keke, your death!”

The Grand Mage quickly grasped that Hans had either been bribed or was complicit in this betrayal. Yet, disbelief lingered.

“No way… Hans?”

Cough!

“Kuhahahaha. Grand Mage, I bid you farewell! I have other important matters to attend to… namely, ending your lineage!”

“What!?” Rage surged through Azeth's veins. He yearned to snap the traitor’s neck, but he found himself immobilized. The pain was excruciating.

“Keke, allow me the honor of dispatching you, Grand Mage…,” the butler declared, stepping forward.

However, he couldn't bring himself to deliver the fatal blow.

Approaching Azeth, he saw not the enemy, but the young boy he once cared for. Memories flooded back, hands trembling, and tears trickling down.

“Weird… very weird… Is this me?” Hans questioned himself, struggling to grip the dagger in his right hand.

Lifting his head to suppress the tears, he placed his left hand on his face and erupted into laughter. “Kuahahahaha, it seems I've become a little too attached. My body is failing me.”

“No worries, the monsters here will kill you. It’s best if I leave.”

Azeth collapsed to the ground, his eyes gradually losing light. Blood spewed from him, and he teetered on the brink of unconsciousness when those damning words reached him.

“Don’t worry, you won’t be lonely in the afterlife. I’ll make sure to send Madam Eliza and your unborn child to you.”

Eliza Rosefeld was Azeth’s wife who had married just 4 months ago. She was pregnant, carrying his child, had now become a target in Hans's sinister plan.

As these words echoed in Azeth’s ears, a surge of energy coursed through him.

“HANS! You dare!?” The fading light returned, blood vessels appearing across Azeth's face. The killing intent he emitted made Hans, earlier trembling with affection, now tremble with fear. His body quivered; he could almost feel his neck being sliced.

Gulping hard, Hans bolted from the wagon, fleeing the forest toward the city near Desh, bordering the forest.

Left alone in the wagon, Azeth endured the agony.

“Hans! Hans! Hans! I will kill you!”

The silence elevated his pain.

“Eliza…”

“Eliza…”

“Eliza!” The power of love propelled him.

He rose to his feet, took faltering steps, and attempted to leave the wagon.

Outside, he glimpsed Hans's fleeing back, racing as fast as possible.

“HANS!” he screamed.

“You think I, a Grand Mage, cannot protect my family?”

“Huff huff.”

“So what if I’m poisoned…”

“I’m still a Grand Mage. I am AZETH, the GRAND MAGE!” he roared, and as he did, his veins bulged and burst.

His face was soaked in his own blood, his long silver hair hanging in a drenched manner to the tip of his nose. Blood spurted not only from the veins of his arms but also from his eyes, nose, ears, and mouth. It even seeped out from his nails.

The blood started to levitate after being all shiny in bright red embrace.

He conjured a massive arrow made of his own blood and aimed it straight at Hans.

“Die!” he bellowed, launching the arrow directly at Hans.

Hans, almost at the edge of the forest, felt a sudden chill and turned back, only to find the tip of the blood arrow right in front of his trembling eyes.

“Ah… I’m done for.”

As he uttered those words, the colossal arrow pierced his head, severing it from his neck and creating a crimson splash of blood.

However, the blood-powered arrow didn’t cease; it accelerated. It absorbed Hans’ blood, leaving his body dry, and shot straight toward Desh.

On this day, Azeth Cromwell was crowned as the worst criminal in the history, having unleashed a spell that massacred over 15,000 individuals and nearly claimed the life of the king. The attack was only narrowly halted by the Archwizard Lucas, who stood beside the king.

Azeth lay on the ground not far from the wagon, the warmth that had sustained him fading away.

“F-forgive me, Eliza…” Tears streamed down his face as silence enveloped his body, gradually and surely.

Azeth's soul departed his lifeless form. The once pure white beam of existence, now tainted black, bore the weight of the sin from the massacre of 15,000 people. Unable to ascend to heaven, his soul instinctively surged toward his Estate where Eliza resided.

Upon his arrival, a grim scene unfolded. Three severed heads, mounted on long, pointy spears, were being carried by three individuals: General Griza, Archwizard Lucas, and Saintess Saya.

The soul, that is supposed to not carry any consciousness and mind of its own, now created one for itself. It was brought by the desire of revenge. It turned obsidian black and then red. Sharp fang like teeth could be seen from a body-less entity.

And there, his words were heard.

“I will destroy you all!”, his words, a mixture of wide range of voices of different people, signed the corruption of his soul, marking the completion of the requirement!

A faint feminine voice reverberated, providing him another chance for his revenge.

*Ding*

[You have met the requirements.]

[1. Kill 10,000 lives.] [completed.]

[2. Become a corrupted soul.] [completed.]

[3. Gain consciousness as a soul.] [completed.]

[4. Harbor desire for revenge.] [completed.]

[5. Perceive humanity as enemies.] [completed.]

*Ding*

[You are rewarded with a chance to revive, do you accept?]

[Yes/No]

Azeth, who had gained his consciousness, could see this levitating screen. Not knowing the source of the voice, he chose the obvious: Yes.

*Ding*

[Failed.]

[Attempting revival…]

[Failed!]

[Attempting revival…]

[Failed!]

Azeth’s soul was dragged away to where the wagon was however, his body had gone missing, or rather, had been eaten up by a group of beasts.

Having no vessel, it was extremely difficult, or rather, next to impossible to attempt a revival.

*Ding*

[Due to the destruction of the previous vessel, the host cannot be revived.]

“Wha-”

[Finding alternative solution…]

*Ding*

[Reincarnation as the final solution has been obtained. Do you accept?]

[Yes/No]

“…”

“Yes.”

And with that, the soul was dragged away towards a burried broken egg in the forest of Xeras only to possess the body of a dead dragon baby that had been killed by a pack of wolves.

The lifeless body of the dragon baby, had new life in it. The ripped limbs reunited and all other injuries were healed. Heart started to beat again and breathing was stabilized. Azeth, was reincarnated as a dragon.

*Ding*

[Reincarnation complete.]

7