Chapter 4: Azeth’s Goal
165 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 4: Azeth’s Goal

"Huff Huff," the breathless figure stumbled into the cave, a mere semblance of a human amidst the looming darkness. The flickering light of a fireplace revealed a group of shadowy beings gathered around, each painted entirely in black, as though crafted from the essence of shadows themselves.

"Master! Master!" The urgent cry cut through the air, a plea laden with both desperation and excitement.

A frigid male voice responded from the largest and darkest silhouette among them, towering over the others. The atmosphere grew heavy with an unspoken tension.

"What is it, Dirt?" The words were sharp and piercing, echoing with an undeniable authority that resonated through the cavern.

"He is alive, master! He is alive!" Dirt's announcement sent a shockwave through the worn-out figures seated around the fire. As if fueled by newfound energy, the three silhouettes sprang to their feet, causing the very ground beneath them to tremble.

With their sudden movement, the once-concealed details of their forms started to emerge. The dark silhouettes began to fade, unveiling the glimmering red eyes and similar red glow that traced the contours of their bodies.

Long, pointed ears and noses, accompanied by sharp canines that claimed every inch of their toothy grins. Their green skin bore a mosaic of darker patches. Their features were somewhat similar to goblins, yet a few extra details could be seen.

The one acknowledged as the master bore two horns atop his head, a regal crown of darkness. The two accompanying figures shared a similar feature, albeit with smaller horns. Notably, Dirt stood apart, devoid of these demonic adornments.

"Are you absolutely sure that the baby is alive?" questioned an elder, positioned to the left of the master.

"Yes, Elder Turd, I am absolutely sure. In fact, I even saw it hunting some worms!" Dirt's voice rang out, filled with conviction and urgency. The proclamation reverberated through the cavern, eliciting a collective shock from both the elders and the master. Their eyes locked in a moment of shared disbelief before shifting back to the kneeling figure of Dirt.

The cavern seemed to hold its breath as the elders and the master exchanged glances, the weight of the revelation sinking in. A thunderous voice erupted within the cave, breaking the silence like a crack of lightning. "Are you playing again, Dirt? You think a baby as small as that, which just hatched, can hunt anything at all?" accused Elder Mud, skepticism tainting his words.

Dirt, in response to the accusation, knelt on the ground with swift deference. "Master, and Elders, I know I am often playful and prank others, but this time for sure… he is alive, and he did hunt. He is still there; we can go and check him out," Dirt pleaded, his tone a blend of sincerity and respect.

"Hmm, indeed, there is no harm in checking out. What do you say, master?" Turd inquired, his gaze fixed on Lake, the leader, as he awaited a decision that would shape their next moves.

"The wolves might still be present. I had already asked you to avoid that place, yet Dirt, you broke my orders. You will be punished for that," Lake's voice carried a stern authority, addressing Dirt's transgression. Recognizing his mistake, Dirt bowed his head in silent acceptance.

"However, if what you say is indeed correct, then you will be rewarded for the information as well," Lake added, injecting an unexpected note of leniency. The shift in tone caught Dirt off guard, and his eyes welled up with tears, moved by the unexpected compassion from his master.

"Master..." Dirt's voice trembled with a mix of gratitude and remorse, laying bare his complex emotions.

"No need to venture. I will check for myself; you guys stay here," Lake declared, dismissing potential objections.

However instantly, both elders vehemently denied, unwilling to leave their leader alone to face potential danger. Their protective instincts kicked in, resembling bodyguards unwilling to let their charge face the unknown without their presence.

Lake, however, had a strategic plan. As one of the cleverest goblins, he possessed a unique skill called 'Shadow Control.' His shadow could move independently, and during Dirt's absence, it had been a silent observer for his shadow had accompanied Dirt. Lake, having seen everything Dirt had seen, was well-informed and resolute in his decision.

While the elders expressed concern and objection, Lake remained steadfast. He knew that the wolves had long left and was sure about the revival of the dragon baby. However, having seen the sudden strength of the being, he questioned the source of power. He wanted to know if the being was good or evil and if indeed evil, then whose side would it be on?

"This is my order. You three, return to the village at once," Lake roared, sending shivers down their spines. Fear gripped them, and every inch of their skin screamed in terror.

Unable to refute, they reluctantly heeded his orders, even if against their will. "As you wish, master," they said in unison, almost instantly leaving the cavern and walking the other way.

As for Lake, he waited for them to vanish from his sight. Once they were out of view, he turned to his right and started walking. In a matter of seconds, his pace increased, transitioning into a jog, and then into a full-fledged sprint.

.

.

.

 

Sitting on the hard ground, with the gigantic tree's trunk providing a sturdy support, Azeth absentmindedly licked his claws clean. His focus was on the screen in front of him.

"27 exp points, aye? How do I use it to level up? How much exactly?"

*Ding*

[Leveling up requires various Exp points based on the level itself! The level to which you are being promoted, when multiplied by 10, would be the amount of Exp required to reach that level. For example, if you want to reach level 2, then you need 20 Exp points. Again, after reaching Level 2, to reach Level 3, you would require an additional 30 points, and so on. This is true until first evolution point is reached.]

"I see," Azeth tapped his chin, comprehending the system's explanation. He had already made up his mind to proceed with the plan.

"Alright, use 20 Exp points and raise my level to 2."

As the words left his mouth, the system used 20 points, and almost instantly, Azeth's level increased.

Curious to see the effects of leveling up, Azeth was surprised by the outcome.

"Interesting. So if I level up, then my injuries, HP, and MP will be restored?"

This realization brought a sense of relief. In life-and-death battles, if he accumulated enough exp points and leveled up, he could gain a significant advantage.

But there was more to it. As he examined his stats again, he noticed that all of them had increased by 1 point, including the 'Stat point,' which he could freely allocate to any of his attributes.

HP (Hit Points): 21

MP (Magic Points): 11

Strength: 9

Dexterity: 7

Speed: 4

Constitution: 11

Stat Points: 6

Understanding the benefits he gained, Azeth couldn't help but question the source of this power and the assistance he was receiving.

"What exactly are you?" he muttered, unable to suppress his curiosity.

*Ding*

[The system is unable to answer the question at the moment. Please try later.]

“…”

“Why are you helping me?”

[The system is unable to answer the question at the moment. Please try later.]

“…”

‘Looks like there are certain questions that the system can’t answer.’

Having grasped the basics, Azeth lowered his head, taking a deep breath. The atmosphere around him felt uncanny. The rain, which had momentarily ceased, began to pour again. Cold gusts of wind blew past his body, sending chills down his spine.

Above all, Azeth dwelled on the events that had transpired earlier.

The three heads pierced by spears and being carried away belonged to his mother, his wife, and his sister. As he pondered this, sadness engulfed him, and a surge of anger followed. Lucas, Griza, and Saya's faces flashed in his mind, but his anger was directed more towards Emperor Edmund, the supreme ruler of the Reiz Empire.

"I swear, the way you destroyed my life, the way you killed my loved ones… I will do the same to your people, your race, and to you. I will cut your abdomen open, rip out your intestines, feed on your kidneys, lick your liver away, gouge your eyes, and pull your tongue. But even after all that, I won’t let you die. I—" As Azeth uttered these chilling words, his eyes turned wild. A vast amount of killing intent surrounded him, causing even the tree behind him to tremble.

"I will be the end of humanity!"

The air fell silent, heavy with the weight of his ominous declaration.

Lake, having just arrived but not yet approached Azeth, felt the overwhelming waves of killing intent that engulfed him, almost pinning him down to the ground.

'Such hatred? Is it alright for me to approach him?' Lake questioned his decision as he stood still, immobile not too far away. The palpable intensity of Azeth's emotions made Lake reconsider the timing of his approach.

Author's note: Sorry for the delay, but the series might continue with slow update. A little busy.

What should be Azeth's relation with the goblins?
  • Hostile [enemy] Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Ruler [king] Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Subordinate [slave] Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Friendly [equal terms] Votes: 1 6.3%
  • None [no feelings at all] Votes: 3 18.8%
Total voters: 16
6