[32] Little Sister – Kai Excalibur
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Dr. Genome wastes no time in contacting Thurston, the Prime Minister of Gandalia, who has become a dictator. He has taken political control of all aspects of government and has served in office for the past seventeen years. He has used the war with the Aidoshians as a means to secure an endless office. He alone commands the Myrmidons movements, not the army or generals. He has taken many measures to ensure the Myrmidons remain as mysterious, untraceable and deadly as the first day they were deployed into battle. 

It has been a few hours since Dr. Genome was contacted. Aihl and I have been called to the briefing room. Inside is a long table with chairs lined up and down. As I enter a holo-monitor appears and orbits around me. The same happens to Aihl. As we take our seats Dr. Genome’s face appears on the screen. He appears to be in a hovercraft cargo bay.

“Aihl, Kai, glad you can join us. I am currently one hour out from the base.” Dr. Genome says. “Kai you are an observer, you are not permitted to speak during the presiding and may leave at any time.”

“What is this about, Creator?” Aihl asks.

Suddenly another screen appears and to my surprise it is Prime Minister Thurston sitting at his desk in the Caporial Office in Gandalia. Terror shoots across Aihl’s face.

“I will explain, Test Subject Fifty-Three.” Thurston says to Aihl.

“Y-yes sir,” Aihl trembles.

“Although there have always been rumors of one or more of the oracles surviving the destruction of Allaco attempts to find them have always led to dead-ends and more rumors.” Thurston’s voice raises and his anger swells. “Now, I have been told that not only has the existence of a living Great Oracle been conformed and identified but she has slipped through our fingers.” He takes a breath to calm himself. “I understand General Huston is responsible for this idiocy and you issued a warrant for his arrest. Subject Fifty-three, is that correct?”

“Yes sir it is,” Aihl states.

“He has been arrested.” Thurston says. “For his blatantly treasonous act he will be executed immediately. As for the Alpha Myrmidon it is to begin its return to Gandalia upon the arrival of Myrmidon Commander Genome.”

“With all due respect Prime Minister why was I not informed of this earlier,” Dr. Genome asks. “I sincerely suggest you reconsider. It is simply too risky to move the Myrmidon Transport at this time.”

“I give my orders when I see fit, they are not up for debate, Myrmidon Commander. I have already issued an evacuation of the wounded soldiers in the cover-facility. They will be relocated before you arrive.”

“You have to see how dangerous that is especially with Dr. Jackson being a traitor. Moving the Alpha now could be disastrous. We do not know what information he has leaked or where his granddaughter Naomi is. Surly you see the danger in this. Her parents created the Alpha.”

“I am well aware of the situation, Myrmidon Commander.” Thurston says strictly. “Do not presume to lecture me. I expect you to follow orders or you will be replaced. The Alpha is the first and most powerful of the Myrmidon suits. I believe you and Subject Fifty-Three are capable of guaranteeing the safe arrival of my Alpha. We must show the people that we don’t back down to terrorists or traitors.” 

I don’t make my opinion known during the meeting. Instead, I sneak out. Hearing Thurston and Dr. Genome argue about the war is annoying. They began to talk politics that I don’t care for. I could find Fantasia alone if they’d let me. The longer we wait, the longer the Republic of New Cezek has to hide her. 

I find myself wandering the forest. In my frustration I come outside instinctively. I make sure the facility stays within view per my orders from Aihl after my last excursion. I sit at the base of a tree and look up at the cloudy sky through the branches.

“Looks like rain,” I hear a female say. “Aww. I don’t want to go inside!”

I turn around and see no one. Alerted I stand up. “Who is there?” I ask.

“Above you,” I hear her say. 

I recoil and see someone looking down at me from a branch above.

“Who are you?” I ask. “Are you following me?”

“You’re the one who sat at my tree and you’re asking me questions,” she says offended. 

I get a good look at her. She is young, no older than sixteen. Her long flowing hair is as white as snow, her eyes are sparkling silver and her skin a smooth brown. The common traits of an Aidoshian and Alcain hybrid. The Alcain come from Agil a country neighboring Aidon to the west. The people share the dark earthy skin color and silver eyes. Their hair however is curly and black. Her white hair is an unusual trait because Aidoshian’s hair is also black but is a trait that occurs in nearly all of the Alcain-Aidoshians. 

She is wearing baggy blue sleeping pants and an over-sized white hoody. The hoody has a picture of a cornucopia with fruit and vegetables spilling out in abundance. She hangs upside-down on the branch. When her oversized hoody flops down, I look away quickly when I realize she does not have on an undershirt. She flips over and down onto her feet and pulls her hoody down.

“So, who are you mister?” she asks.

“My name is Kai,” I reply. “And you are?”

“Kai?” she questions. “You are the replacement for Reaka! I hated her. She was weird, always talking about death and killing and Saquel and…”

“That’s enough about her,” I say holding my hand up. “Who are you?”

“My name is Yolonda, I’m Aihl’s sister.”

I can’t help but look at her ears. “Dr. Genome said he was the only… you’re an Ultima,” I ask seeing they are normal.

“Not his real sister, silly. He is not human,” she says. “Besides it would be wrong for an actual brother and sister to get married.”

“You are married?” I ask in disbelief.

“Not yet but, it is going to happen,” she says with conviction.

I sit back down at the base of the tree and continue my talk with Yolonda. She has a pleasant presence, relaxing. She actually reminds me of Fantasia. She seems so carefree and loves to reply to questions with more questions. Even more than that, she enjoys hanging from the canopy looking at the forest from above. Nothing however, compares to the love she has for Ailh. She talks endlessly about their innocent love and continually promises that she will marry him. It surprises me that the cold military-born Ailh could treasure someone so pure. I’m shocked that a normal girl would fall so completely head over heels for him.   

“Since you got Reaka’s Seed that means you passed the test.” Yolonda says.

“Test?” I question. “What are you talking about?”

“You know, the one when you have to execute an Aidoshian prisoner. You did do it, right?” She inquires.

“Why do you know about that?” I ask.

“I had to do it too. It was about a year ago.” She declares. “It was a test of love. I proved to everyone that I loved Aihl more than someone’s life. That’s how I know this is true love.”

I am flabbergasted that someone as young and friendly as her has already taken a life in cold blood. Why would Dr. Genome require someone so young to do such a thing? Was she like me and wrapped up in the Aidoshians lies?

“Why did you have to take the test?”  I ask. “Were you brought here from Ralkain?”

“I donno, I can’t remember anything before I came here. Aihl told me he saved me when I woke up in one of the hospital beds. I can’t wait for this stupid war to be over so we can go to Gandalia.” She pulls out a MHC from her hoodie and waves her hand over it and the holo-monitor opens. “Kai look at these. Aihl says he’ll buy me one of these.” She shows me models wearing elegant dresses. She scrolls through happily. “They’re all so beautiful. I don’t know which to choose. What do you think?”

  “What about your test?” I ask. “Why don’t you remember anything before you arrived?”

“You’re no fun.” She pouts. “At least tell me which is your favorite.”

“Fine.” I say as I look at the screen. “That one. The red one with the flowers.”

“I like that one to.” She squeals in excitement. “We are going to be best-friends I just know it.”

“What about your test.” I say.

“Okay-okay.” She sighs. “I have amnesia. Dr. Genome told me that Aihl saved me from an explosion and I got hit in the head by debris. That was before Aihl was the Alpha Myrmidon pilot though.” She sits down beside me and looks around. “You want to know something else I heard?” She whispers.   

“What?” I ask intrigued.

“Julie told Rebeca that Sara thinks you’re hot.” she says. “And when she saw you for the first time it sent her heart fluttering.”

“I thought you had something important to tell me.” I say. “I don’t have time for gossip.”

“Don’t be heartless.” Yolonda says. “A woman’s heart is not to be taken lightly.”

She stands up and grabs my hand abruptly and starts running deep into the forest. Before I have the chance to ask where we are going, she stops at a pond. The stomping of our feet against the ground scares off a herd of tairs grazing nearby. I can see the buck lead the family away before he and his large antlers vanish into the bushes. Rabbits, braclies and other small woodland animals also scurry away into the thick brush. 

“This is my secret spot,” she says happily. “I love it out here. Nature can really calm me.”

“I should probably be heading back to base now,” I say.

“No,” she pouts.

She reminds me so much of Fantasia, her pouting, her immaturity and genuine kindness are so similar. Fantasia however is my enemy now. She used me for her own good. I don’t regret selling her out. I’ve come too far to let her deceit back into my heart. I may have been her protector in a past life but now I am, now I will become, her assassin. 

“Are you okay?” she asks.

“What? Why?” I ask snapping back to reality.

“You’re crying,” she says as she wipes my face with part of her sleeve.

I quickly turn around and wipe my face clean. I cannot deny Fantasia has a place in my heart as a sister but this will not stop me from giving her what she has coming to her.

“I’m fine,” I say in my resolve.

“That’s good,” she says. “I thought you were falling in love with me.”

“What?”

“I mean I wouldn’t blame you. I’m beautiful,” she says in a joking way as she does a quick spin around. “Too bad for you I’m Aihl’s girl.”

 “Is this what you wanted to show me?” I ask to push along the conversation.

“Nope,” She walks to the small pond. “What I wanted to show you is my Seed.”

“You have a Black Seed?” I ask.

She nods as she turns around to face the water.

“If you have one, why show me?” I ask.

“Because I already know what your Seed does because of Reaka,” she explains. “One day when I’m old enough to join the military we may work together. Ailh’s only in the military already because he is not human, but I have to wait until I’m eighteen.”

“How did you get your Black See…”

“Shhh,” she cuts me off. “I have to concentrate.” 

Yolonda walks to the edge removing her shoes and socks, after which she takes off her hoody exposing her bare figure. 

I turn around and stare into the forest. “What are you doing,” I yell. “Have respect for your body.”

“What are you talking about? Of course I respect my body.”

“Then stop stripping in front of me,” I say.

“I would like to protect my clothing after I show you my Seed,” she says. “If I keep them on, they will burn to ashes. Oh, and by the way, you might want to take a couple steps away from me.”

I pace forward and not so much as glance around. I feel something hit me in the back of my head. It is her clothing. Garments flop over to my face.

“Hold on to those for me, ‘kay,” she says sweetly.

I grab her apparel and ball them under my arm. Suddenly I feel an intense heat searing from behind me. I turn around and see the outline of Yolonda completely surrounded in a calm blue energy that has a few small electrical sparks arching to the ground. The only distinguishable features are her eyes which have become a pure white. The heat is unbearable so I take a few more steps away from her.

“This is my Black Seed called Plasma,” she says. “This is the coldest I can make it.”

She then turns around facing the pond that is steamy hot now. She opens both palms of her hands at her sides. The blue energy flows from her hands in the form of a tendril whip. The energy moves smoothly obeying even the smallest gesture. In a single move she swipes the whips at a tree on the other side of the water. The tree is instantly cut into three blazing sections that fall into the pond. Yolonda suddenly changes back to her normal self and motions for me to throw her clothing to her. I toss the clothing I have wadded under my arm and turn back around to face the forest. 

“What are you doing out here?” I hear Aihl’s voice unexpectedly.

“Honey,” Yolonda says, “you were taking a long time in your meeting so I went out on a little walk.”

When I turn around Aihl is standing right in front of Yolonda who has finished dressing. Aihl’s face is full of worry. 

“You know you are supposed to stay in your room while I’m away,” Aihl says. 

“I get bored when you’re away but Kai kept me company,” she says. “I like him a lot more then Reaka, I’m glad she’s finally dead.”

“Honestly, so am I,” Aihl says. “But as for you, Kai, we have our assignment. Thurston wants the Alpha-147 Myrmidon to return to Gandalia. You will be coming along with me and the Alpha-147. Once there, you will be reunited with your Dokain girlfriend. I heard she is in surgery to replace the last of her damaged organs today.”

“That is great news.” I say. 

0