Welcome to We Wear the Mask
22 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

General Stuff: We do not own Disney Descendants. This is a fan-made story based on the world that the movies, tv show, and books have created. It has of course gone off rails in a dark & twisted way.

That being said, while we realize that the Descendants works are for preteens and teenagers, what we have written is not suitable for anyone under the age of 13. We have rated this story T.

And so we would like to issue a few warnings;

There is swearing in this story. We took the dystopia of the isle and made it more realistic. These kids have been surrounded by villainy their whole life, they swear. It's not strange for them. It's what they've heard every day since day one. 'One day' these characters 'might' end up in a place where such language is not tolerated.

There are traumas mentioned by the characters. There are a few traumas shared in the chapters.

There are characters suffering from mental illness. There is mention of self-harm, as well as a scene where a character doesn't realize they are self-harming. They're just trying to clean the dirt off themselves.

There are sexual themes as well as puberty. These kids are growing up and coming into their identities. Some have already been exposed to sex, others have not and will be learning about it throughout this story. There is only one scene that will reference a sexual act being performed by consenting characters. The scene does not go into detail about what is happening, but the character that witnesses the sexual act is confused and is trying to make sense of what they are seeing vs what they have experienced. There is a conversation about consent, and what it means when there is no concent.

But don't worry, we also love warm and fluffy feels, so there are plenty of those moments too. When we post a chapter that walks the line between T and M we will include a warning about what to expect, and we're more than willing to message with you about the main points of the chapter should you wish to not read it.

As for the rest of the books we plan to release in this series, they will be rated individually, as each story deems appropriate.

Thank you to Shawna for alerting us to the fact that we had not gone into detail about what you can expect from our story. We hope you will give this story and chance, and that you do enjoy the work we've put into telling it.


AN: Hey Reader! We are Dark and Twisted Sisters and we are happy to be sharing some of our side plot bunnies with you. First though, a poem that might sheds some insight into the theme we've taken with this story.


We Wear the Mask

BY PAUL LAURENCE DUNBAR

We wear the mask that grins and lies,

It hides our cheeks and shades our eyes,—

This debt we pay to human guile;

With torn and bleeding hearts we smile,

And mouth with myriad subtleties.

Why should the world be over-wise,

In counting all our tears and sighs?

Nay, let them only see us, while

We wear the mask.

We smile, but, O great Christ, our cries

To thee from tortured souls arise.

We sing, but oh the clay is vile

Beneath our feet, and long the mile;

But let the world dream otherwise,

We wear the mask!


AN: We wrote this series because, on an isle where villains rule, there had to be at least a couple of kids that totally bucked the trend. So, we added two more VKs with their own stories, that overlap with the Core Four and Sea Three. This is nothing but plot bunnies, character-driven plot, and what-ifs, so if any of you fabulous readers have an idea you would like on paper, don't hesitate to give us a shout out. With so much canon from the movies, animated show, and books (All of which overlaps and contradicts each other) we decided to pick and choose what worked better for us and attempt to be consistent.

We hope you enjoy the first book in our series, We Wear the Mask.

0