Chapter 1
15 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The sky heralded the prophecy of rain.

Thick grey clouds descended low, their magnificence overshadowing the light of the sun while slowly plunging the world in a greyish hue. Cold winds passed through, ruffling the collar of a lone man as he climbed uphill.

The small footpath was narrow, with wisps of dying grass flattened below by constant fall of footsteps and an occasional rock, which was swiftly kicked away by a pair of worn out boots. The man took note to at least try to find a new pair.

The moment he caught sight of the tiny tatched cottage at the side of the hill, with its bleating sheep shoveling each other around in the tiny pen, he heard the screams. Loud laboured screams of a female voice. The messenger boy panted as he leaned on his knees, many footfalls away from the man, his face accusatory.

The man picked up his pace.

A strong wind blew past, carrying the humid scent of rain.

It would be a very bad storm tonight, the man thought. He hurried behind the messager boy who pushed open the door of the cottage.

"Healer Gregory is here!" He announced.

Cedric stepped into the threshold, only to be met with a women screaming as she held onto a man's arm, her legs spread wide as an elderly lady urged her to push.

"Come now dear, push. It won't take long. There you go."

Cedric laid down his satchel and neared the screaming woman.

"There is clean water, healer," the elderly lady said.

Cedric nodded, washing his hands and drying them quick before feeling for the insides of the birth canal.

"The head is coming out," Cedric said. "How long was she pushing?"

"She started not so while ago," the elder replied. "The water broke this afternoon."

Cedric nodded. It probably won't be a difficult delivery.

The soon mother to be took in a deep breath before pushing. It took some time, but the head came out. Yet the rest of the body didn't.

It didn't take long for Cedric shove his hands in. The mother was already tired as she moaned in exhaustion. The baby was quite a big one, its eyes closed and its mouth open in a silent scream. Cedric dug in his arm to feel the arm of the baby below, his fingers hooking in the elbow before he swept the babe’s arm past its chest and face. The shoulder stuck behind the pelvic bone loosened and the rest of the child came out, with a twisted cord of flesh following from behind.

The messenger boy shrieked from behind.

It was the elderly lady who took the babye into her arms as the child began to cry. It was quite an ugly thing, its cry high pitched and wobbly as the newborn voiced its complaints against leaving the comforts of the womb. Cedric took out a clean length of tread before tying it around the cord at two points before slicing the middle with a knife from his satchel.

Slowly, the rest of the cord with its roots slipped out along with a mass of flesh, blood and membranes following at the end.

"Look, Gracie! It's another boy. Look how healthy and plump he is!" The elderly lady said, her voice threatening to turn into a sob. The mother reached out her arms to hold the babe. The elderly woman then placed the babe on top of her chest so that the mother could hold the small bundle for a while.

Just as the baby was to be taken away, Cedric spoke, "Let him feed while its energetic."

The husband and his mother-in-law looked at each other, doubtful, but left the baby on its mother’s chest. It really did seem hungry, for it suckled the moment it found its mother's breasts.

While the baby fed, clean bandages was brought out and the lower parts of the mother was cleaned. Everythough everything seemed to be soaked in red, there were no signs of major bleeding.

"Where is Tobius?" The husband asked.

"He ran off, frightened out of his wits!" The elderly lady said with a laugh.

"He should see his little brother," the husband with a frown. He turned to Cedric.

"Thanks for coming, healer. I thought this would be a difficult one."

Cedric nodded. He then stood at the corner, watching as the family coddled and hushed about the mother and the newborn. It seems everything was alright.

"I have birthed three children, Cedric, my boy. I know what to do and what not to. It's fine to go back. You look exhausted."

From behind, young Tobius peeked in through the doorway.

"It is out?"

"It's out. He is out." Cedric replied.

"A brother!" The child yelled in excitement as he rushed in. "Yaay! I knew he would be a boy!"

As the family celebrated, Cedric slowly stepped out and made his way down the hill.

At the same time, it poured. Cold drops of liquid fell through from the heavens, striking the earth as shards of ice, wetting every inch of Cedric's garments. He sighed as he slowly made his way down the common road and towards his little wooden shack at the end of the village.

It was a crude little thing, with the roof falling apart and yet still held together by planks of random wood. It so small it merely held one room. The chimney was cold and dark, and it took Cedric a while to force a spark before removing his clothing for a new set. Finally, he sat down on his chair, his body protesting with pain.

Thirst overwhelmed him. It didn't help that he was in the presence of blood a while back. He looked out of the single window of the hut, creating a puddle of water under the window-sill. The rain was barely deflected away by the curtains which were already soaked and yet still flying inwards like a flag.

Going out in such a storm was out of the question.

And so Cedric could only quench his thirst with some warm water. It didn't help much. But he simply got onto the bed, his face facing the ceiling and told himself to sleep.

He didn't want to know what tomorrow would bring.

1