Prologue
40 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A woman on her knees, chained by her wrists and her head up, her cheeks stained with dried tears. Centered by the throne room whilst nobles observe her and the king by the throne.

 

The king narrows his eyes to the woman, his mouth curls down, "Saint Mallaithe, do you understand the charges against you?" The king asked as he blinked away the tears that threatened to fall.

 

The woman only had silence as her answer. Her eyes stare blankly at the king and her mouth opens agape. 'Why...? why? I didn't do anything wrong.... did I?' Mallaithe wondered as her chest tightens, her eyes slowly wandered to a woman with fancy clothes and a man who she thought was her fiancée, recalling the times of her fiancée, the prince, talking to her so sweetly and kindly. And the woman beside was a noble lady she once had gone out for some tea with. What happened? Mallaithe can't seem to remember, she seems to lack a memory.

 

But seeing them together gave her a bittersweet feeling. Though, she brushed off such emotion and faces back to the king, softening her eyes and soothed out her voice as she opens her mouth to say, “My king, tell me, what have I done to deserve this?” Mallaithe asked, “Locked me up in a dungeon, chained me down and placed me in the dark.” Mallaithe continued. 

 

The king heaved a sigh and stood up from his throne, he stretched out his hand to announce, "Saint Mallaithe, you have been proven guilty of attempted murder, harassment and kidnapping of Lady Seani De Violux." the king said, causing Mallaithe to tremble and lay her forehead down to the ground.

 

“Your Highness! You are mistaken! I–!” Before Mallaithe could continue, the king interrupted her with a booming voice that echoed around the throne room.

 

"Enough!” The king shouted as Mallaithe slowly looked up to the king, her eyes observing the king’s expressions only to see a blurry view, “...You… are hereby executed by the guillotine." the king announced, his voice lowered.

 

Mallaithe widens her eyes, her mind reels in denial, 'No... No!' she internally screamed and her tears threatening to fall, her mouth frowning, gritting, "You... You can't do this to me!" she said, "Why would you do this?! I did nothing wrong!" Mallaithe claimed, “My king! Let me defend myself! Or… or…” Mallaithe’s voice turned to a hush tone, “...surely there is someone…” Mallaithe looks around the room only to see the nobles whispering about.

‘Ah… I have no one…’ Mallaithe thought. Her hair covering her face as she turns her head straight to the ground, “My king… please… If you have a slight doubt–!”

 

“I have none.” The king replied, his voice became sharp as a blade to Mallaithe’s heart, “The decision is made Saint Mallaithe.” the king said, “If you think you can defend yourself then please stop. You are becoming a fool.” he added.

 

Mallaithe swayed to the side, her lips curling to a tired smile, “A fool? How am I fooling myself, my king? When I have really done nothing wrong?” Mallaithe claimed.

 

The king groaned in annoyance, “Saint Mallaithe, at the time of the ball, everyone saw you pull out a blade. Swinging it to the noble lady.” the king replied, to which made the Saint halt, ‘A blade? Me?’ Mallaithe thought.

 

Mallaithe drifts her head to the right then to the left, “That… can’t be…” Mallaithe whispered, turning her head up to the king.

 

When she was about to open her mouth, she halts, closing her mouth as she sees the king with harsh glare at her plea and turns his back at her, and calls the guards to take her away and have the execution ready by sunrise.

 

As the saint was dragged away from the throne room, her screams were a silent echo. The anguish she puzzles to comprehend as to what made the king think of her as a criminal with no hesitation without a proper investigation. But then again, everyone saw her pull out a dagger, she doubts anyone would be willing to take a stand for her.

 

And so, by sunrise, like the king says it would, Mallaithe was taken to the stage together with the executioner and there she played a role that she willingly accepted. Agitated murmurs and indistinct shouts rose in a buzz, the crowd had felt tricked and betrayed by the Saint. While for Mallaithe, she was silent. Spending down at the dungeon made her recall the ball, the only thing she remembered was taking out a blade with a casted spell she made in order to purify the ‘filth’.

 

All the things that the king had charged her with, she remembers all those familiar instances but they were all to purify the ‘filth’ but she kept failing and when the ‘filth’ became stronger, she had no choice but to pull out the blade during the ball.

 

Mallaithe looks at the crowd,  relaxing her shoulders. A voice echoing in her mind, recalling the words of her mentor, they said, “The Saint’s duty is to protect the citizens from the monsters, purify the filth and lastly, to die in amountable times before the day your power is weakened.” they also added, “In short, you are to be used till the time you are nothing.”

 

Mallaithe lowers her head down low, her frowning mouth turns into a soft gentle smile, she feels relief out of all the times she’s had, '...so this is what they meant...' Mallaithe thought, 'I'm glad..' she sniffled, "But I wish I was normal... really..." she whispered, a whisper that will never be heard as the crowd grows wilder and wilder with their shouts and anger towards the saint.

 

By the end of the day, she has the blade of the guillotine slash her neck through.

 

 

If reincarnation was real, she'd ask to be normal.

After the execution, the king left the scene and ordered several servants to take the Saint’s body secretly after it is being thrown in the woods since after the execution, the body wouldn’t get a proper burial as per customs. But the king didn’t want that.

 

At night, when the servants took the Saint’s body, half-eaten by ‘wolves’ and mangled beyond repair. The king grimaced and showed his tears for the corpse, he knelt down, causing the servants to feel distress so the king said to leave.

 

Alone in an empty room, the king sobs and sniffles, he murmurs his apologies and places his head down to the ground. “Mallaithe… I wish for you to become weak…” The king said, sobbing in between his sentences, “In the next life… please don’t become a Saint…” he added, “You are still a child” the king emphasized.

 

Soon, the king calms himself and orders his servants to put her in a simple wooden coffin. When she was buried, the king placed a single lily above her grave.

0