Chapter 2
17 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In history books, it is said that before the saint existed, humans and giants coexisted with one another. Throwing in fires to the trees and causing craters in every corner of the landscape. People would flee in terror while others go in and fight one another, and none were innocent, much less of a child.

Time and time again, a pile of bodies would build up every so often and the stench of it rotted the senses of smell of the people.

 

"Over here! It's safe!"

 

"If we go there, they'll protect us."

 

"Come on! Don't you want to live?!"

 

Desperate pleas from murderers and rapists, why would the place be safe? When criminals like them have invaded such areas. Not only that, giants would come and go as they like to capture some humans they like, a pick of which to play with.

 

For hundreds of years, distant rumbles of catapults and screams echo across the blasted plains. And shouts of the disorderly armies clashed their swords of steels with that of the giants but ultimately, the bigger wins, spreading a fresh wave of carnage, adding a new but same, decoration to the grounds of the world.

Seeing this, the gods who oversee the world pitied the humans. Always losing, always taken.

 

So, the gods have decided to bless a woman with the silver hair of blue sapphire eyes and made her the ultimate "pure" saint of the humans. She was to bring down the giants and have them destroyed but, because the saint is the ultimate "pure" of the humans, she was too kind to even eliminate even one of them and so, she decided to "separate" all the giants' souls. Creating magical creatures like fairies, elves, dwarves, mermaids and even dragons that soar above the sky in the present day.

 

That was how it came to be, was it?

 

Was that right?

 

Mallaithe, in her small state, sat alone in her room with a single shelf behind her, "We... I can't remember how it started..." The small saint echoed in her empty room, books scattered across and beside her, "The oldest soul... has gone too tired it seems..." she whispered, leaning on the bookshelf behind her.

 

She takes a glance at the scattered books, she read them all and everything is required a strong mana – obviously – but, ‘If my mana is weak, I won’t be able to get out of this blessing… but then again… won’t I still be out of this blessing if my mana is weakened???’ Mallaithe thought, her eyes squinting with her nose scrunched up. Mallaithe took a deep breath before sighing altogether, “Just in case… I’ll save the books for later use.”

 

"The prophecy..." Mallaithe looks at the corner, the window where the sun is shining through, "For the public, hope would come, bringing victories in the land." Mallaithe mumbled, turning away from the window to observe her small palms, "...And for me, the prophecy told me of my fate that I will be forever be doomed in every life cycles..." she clenches her fist weakly, trembling hands drifting slowly to her neck, her fingertips touched at the non-visible pain from the guillotine. Her breath shakes as her eyes go into a frenzy from the memory of her deaths, recalling it made her remember the pain and the swords, the fires, the poisons and the betrayals. 'What is this?' she wondered, 'The feeling of excitement? Is it fear? Or is this happiness??' Mallaithe guessed, the lack of understanding about her emotions, or perhaps, the meaning of those words got her puzzled.

 

Then, a knock came to the door, causing Mallaithe to drop her book beside her and stand, she says softly, "Enter, friend. You're welcome with any troubles you may have." habits of old had her taken aback and so did the one who enters, a boy -- no, a man -- reveals itself, his hair is unlike Mallaithe, his eyes are far from similar to Mallaithe. It was the same for the parents of Mallaithe, as if she had been adopted from the very start.

 

As the man entered, his gaze went sharp when he saw the little girl, "You..." he sharply mumbled, clicked his tongue and looked away from Mallaithe's eyes before coming down and faced her again with his furrowed brows, crossing his arms and starting with, "You're alive? Couldn't you have just drowned and died there?" the man said, expecting for the girl to shake and quietly cry like before but what he returned with was a surprisingly calm girl.

 

There, the girl stood still with quietness, back straight yet relaxed, shoulders open. An aura of elegance and care emanated in the air around her, divinity lingering slightly at her fingertips as she drifted her hand slowly to her heart as her lips curled up to a gentle smile, "My brother, what made you so furious?" Mallaithe asked and extended her other arm to him, stretching out with her palm open, expecting to receive his hand in return, "There's no need to fear, you may tell me." her words emanated such warmth that it tempted the man to open his mouth and confess.

 

The man halted before clicking his tongue, "The hell?" he mumbled, slightly grinning, "Have you gone crazy? Ha!" he said, narrowing his eyes to the girl, "Playing good now? After all you've done?" he continued.

 

Mallaithe listened attentively to his remarks and put down her hand while the other remained at her chest, "It seems I have no recollection of the misdeeds you are accusing me of. Please, allow me to listen and repent." Mallaithe answered as her eyes delicately opens, lifting her gaze to the man, the sun's light caught her eyes, deepening her bluish hue of a lustrous sapphire. Her voice lowering to a soothing sound, "What may be the troubles have I caused to have you deter me?" Mallaithe scans the face of the man while waiting for the man's answer.

 

Dark ebony hair and a pair of ruby eyes. Tall but not as much as her father.

 

And as Mallaithe scans the man, many voices echo through her mind.

 

'This man seems to have something similar to our father's hair and eyes...'

 

'But his face is like our mother's!'

 

'A relative? A sibling?'

 

'What is a relative?

 

'I heard it was something that has your blood.’

 

'That's disgusting! Why would they drink it!?'

 

'Relax... Drinking blood does not compare to the older times.'

 

'I doubt you would need to drink blood to be a relative...'

 

The man took a step forward to Mallaithe just in time for the voices to disappear and once he got closer, he bent to grab Mallaithe’s hand and dragged her up before swaying her to the side, throwing her to the ground. “You! How could you not remember!?” The man pointed at the girl, the loud commotion was heard from the outside and alerted the parents.

 

“You attempted to hurt your sister by pushing her off a second floor building!!” The man shouted, the girl widened her eyes, her iris shrinks at the realization, she faces the man in agape, “What?! Don’t tell me you forgot?!” the man said.

 

Then, the door opens widely for two people to come in, the father and the mother.

When the mother saw the state of Mallaithe she gasped and turned to the man, “Lamix!!” she shouted, “What on Erith had you done to her?!” she screamed, attempting to get closer to him only to be stopped by the father.

 

The father narrows his eyes to Lamix, in a stern voice, he asks, “What did you do?”

“Hah!” Lamix exasperated, “Did you forget what she did to Alice? That thing pushed her off in front of the prince no less!" Lamix remarked when he flinched from the loud stomp by the father. Lamix calmed down but was puzzled as to how the father could excuse Mallaithe's behaviour after such an event.

 

"Did you have to hurt your sister? Did you have to cause more trouble?!" The father questioned, "If you wish to resolve everything then talk it out! You two are siblings by blood for goodness sake!" he added.

 

When Lamix heard that, his face contorted into a frown mixed with confusion, "What? Are you saying that we should excuse Mallaithe since she has our blood but not Alice because she came from the streets?!" Lamix remarked, only to be slapped across the cheek by his mother.

 

All this happening while Mallaithe observes the scene, her eyes shaking and hands trembling, her lips contorted to a frown. Still lying on the ground after being thrown, she looked to the ground and saw her hands trembling in fear, 'I did that? To an innocent?'

 

'What more have we done so?'

 

'Could the reason for our brutal deaths be because of this?'

 

'What is this?'

 

Her words echo around her mind, the voices in a frenzy attempting to recollect the fragmented memories they all share but could not. Although they were given a full consciousness, the memories were yet to appear like a clear book. 'What else have we done?' Mallaithe asks herself, her breath increasing and cold sweats run down her face. The voices echoed more loudly than ever that Mallaithe could not notice that her parents were calling for her.

 

But what she did notice was a black mist.

 

Entering the room, her eyes focused on the dark mist, so small like the height of Mallaithe, 'The giant's dark soul...' Mallaithe thought, she remembered when the first saint separated the souls of the giants', there were dark creatures that were formed, the saint couldn't see the creatures form but what she did see was the black mist covering their body. Emanating an evil aura, a danger to the humans.

The Saintess must exterminate such beings.

0