Chapter 11 – Direct Confrontation
24 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The sun perched high in the midday sky, signaling that half the day had passed. However, it didn't take long for its majestic rays to be shrouded by the gray-dominated sky. The gentle breeze that had been blowing since morning continued, and it would likely to persist into the serene night.

An Umbra was strolling leisurely on the outskirts of the city, near a small forest. Due to its large form, it failed to notice a shadow darting from the direction of the forest. The branches of the forest rustled, indicating that something had crossed through.

As the shadow finally emerged from the forested area, its sharp fangs gleamed, landing precisely as its entire body sought to embrace the Umbra, preventing itself from falling when the Umbra roared loudly and shook its body, attempting to repel the shadow figure.

Its massive tail was swung toward the shadow. However, the target sensed the attack and leaped from the Umbra's body after leaving a claw marks.

The Umbra's attention focused on the shadow who now landing in the middle of the quiet street. With no forest branches obstructing the view, the figure became clear. A wolf. The manifestation of Andrew when his body was taken over.

Its fur, a sleek and shiny black coat, appeared slightly luminous. Its sharp, yellow eyes faced forward, capturing the approaching reflection of the enemy.

Toweringly above the wolf, the Umbra radiated an aura of its power, as if the earth trembled beneath its claws. They faced each other, exchanging claw strikes. The once quiet and serene street now bore witness to the battle between the two creatures. With a mighty roar, the Umbra lunged at the wolf with its wide-open jaws. The wolf reflexively welcomed the attack with avoiding its jaws and counterattacking with a series of razor-sharp claws.

The formidable foe retaliated with a sweeping claw motion that reverberated, causing the wolf to collide with a tree, then sprawl on the ground. The impact echoed, and the wolf quickly rose again, propelled by the primal instincts flowing in its veins.

The clash continued, a symphony of growls, roars, and tireless body collisions. The agile and cunning wolf, having exploited the size of its opponent, was ready to end the battle in a matter of seconds.

The Umbra's jaws opened wide once again, attacking directly. After successfully avoiding the attack once more, the wolf slashed both eyes of its adversary sharply, rendering them unusable. Relying only on its ears and nose, the Umbra tracked the position of the wolf. Once found, it swung its tail vigorously.

Aware of the impending strike, the wolf unflinchingly withstood the impact that slammed into its body, sinking all of its sharp fangs into the tail. Not stopping there, it detached from the tail, ran across the monster's back, leaving sharp claw marks, and then bit the nape of the Umbra.

As it thrust the Umbra's nape, the wolf finally began its journey. Digging into the hole it created from its bite marks, heading towards the monster's brain. Each bite was savored with passion. Then, when it reached the most delectable part, the Umbra's brain, it took its time to feast on it, relishing every moment.

The massive body of the Umbra collapsed, defeated and lifeless.

***

Andrew slept off on the woodland floor, unconscious. His spirit appeared to dwell outside his body, as shown by his closed eyelids and calm breathing.

However, the tranquility was abruptly shattered when his soul was drawn back into his body, forcing his eyes open. His upper body jolted instantly, his breath racing. His hands instinctively roamed over his entire body, searching for any injuries, and to his relief, none were found.

“Took you long enough just to open your eyes.”

His ears caught the sound he had heard recently. Andrew turned his head. Beside him, Clive's appearance in full robes filled his vision. That display put Andrew's words on hold for a while before his mouth finally spoke.

“W-What are you doing here?”

“Keeping an eye on you. You've been unconscious for about an hour since I found you.”

“An hour!?”

Andrew immediately looked for his phone. Noticing the young man's panic and understanding his intentions, Clive continued.

“If it's the time you want to know, it's one pm.”

Andrew pressed his forehead against the palm of his right hand. The first thing he thought about was the amount of time he had spent out just to buy some cat food and leaving Will at home.

“Ha! The cat foods! I need to go back!”

Andrew raised his body, which was struggling with fatigue. As he stood up and was about to walk away, Clive's voice stopped him in his first step.

“Wait. I have something to ask you.”

Despite ignoring the man for a moment, Andrew stopped and turned his back. The man's face radiated calmness as he also stood up. The staff he had been holding disappeared as soon as his hand released it.

“What did you do to me while I was asleep?”

“Nothing... but that's not entirely true. I was just using my healing magic, checking whether your body was injured or not. Now, tell me, you're not the kind of person who likes to sleep in a place like this, are you? What happened before you fell asleep?” Clive asked in a stern tone.

“Is the answer that important?” Andrew replied with a slight smirk.

“If you want to be helped out of your current situation, then I suggest you not question too much and just cooperate with me.”

Andrew looked away.

“That thing... just took over my body,” Andrew muttered along with the wind that carried the rustling leaves of the forest.

“What? Didn’t you say that that thing only took over your body at night?”

“That thing doesn't seem to understand the concept of time. So far, it wakes up when I'm already asleep. And that makes it easy for it to take control of my body. Otherwise, it would have forced my body into unconsciousness. At least, that's what I understood from what it said.”

Clive widened his eyes a little. “Oh. It seems the story that you just told me this morning got an update, huh? That thing talks to you after a month?”

The constant stream of questions from Clive made Andrew uncomfortable. “Tch. I don't know what its intentions are. But that thing sure bothers me a lot. I don't have time to deal with this strange daily life!”

Andrew once again turned around and stepped away. His mind was about to burst if this continued.

“Very well, this is the last question.”

Suppressing his emotions, Andrew took a deep breath after his footsteps stopped once again. “What?”

“When that thing insisted on taking over your body, did you surrender... or did you fight back?”

Andrew burst out.

Something Andrew had been holding back since the first question finally surged. The young man turned, heading towards Clive while raising his fist. When he swung it towards the face of the person who disgusted him, something intangible intercepted his attack. Clive's expression remained unchanged, devoid of any emotion.

Shifting from a fist, Andrew grabbed the collar of Clive's robe with both hands. The look in his eyes hinted at boiling rage, but his opponent responded with a coldness akin to a block of ice. Andrew's anger seemed no match for Clive's calm demeanor.

“Listen here, you bastard. Now let me ask you a question. If something, or someone is trying to use you, is it wrong to fight back? Is it wrong to be annoyed? Is it wrong to decide not to let it control me?!”

All the questions seemed personal. Clive understood as soon as Andrew emphasized it in the last question. However, at this moment, Clive's mind went elsewhere. Somewhere distant but also nearby. The man's eyes did not respond to the anger of Andrew who was lifting his collar. He didn't shy away from him, but neither did he feel confident about the answer he intended to give.

“If you ask me... I prefer to be used. If it means something or that someone sees me as somebody useful...” Clive looked back at Andrew. “...I don't have any objections.”

Andrew's eyes twitched, unable to believe his ears. His hands started to get a little tired lifting Clive up.

“The hell’s that supposed to mean? You’re a slave or something?”

“... I maybe am.”

“Tch!”

Andrew shoved Clive off. After giving the man a glare, he turned around. And this time, he had no intention of facing him any longer.

“If I have to be helped by someone like you, I'd rather choose to continue being miserable,” Andrew declared.

“You may refuse my help. But don’t forget that she might still help you,” Clive replied.

Andrew knew whom Clive referred to without mentioning her name. Although they had known each other for no more than a week, Andrew felt that the girl would still be involved, whether it was her own intention or the compulsion of the entity residing within him.

Andrew then walked away. His first destination wasn't home but a place near the pet store. He was sure that when his body was possessed, he had dropped the bag of cat food he had bought. Therefore, he hurried there.

However, upon reaching the intended spot, the item he sought was nowhere to be found. He continued searching, but to no avail. With a heavy sigh, Andrew returned to the pet store to purchase a new one. Upon arrival, he was bombarded with various questions by the store owner. Apparently, a customer had brought back Andrew's shopping bag to the pet store.

Andrew provided an odd excuse—claiming he had gone to a public restroom because he couldn't hold it any longer. The store owner seemed skeptical, his eyes still filled with suspicion. However, he couldn't bring himself to inquire further, and accepting Andrew's story became his chosen course of action, even though he found it sensible, despite evidence to the contrary.

After retrieving his items, Andrew bid farewell to the store owner once again and finally arrived home about five minutes later.

***

In the hush before dawn, at four in the morning, the world lay wrapped in a serene stillness. The air, crisp and cool, cradled the promise of a new day as the first tendrils of light from the east sought to embellish the horizon.

In a corner of the town, Erna, a determined young dreamer, embraced the quietude. This was her time, the moments when she relished running along the familiar paths. However, fearing the eyes of someone she knew, she had altered her route in recent days. Clad in her athletic attire, she stepped into the delicate ambiance of dawn. Her breath hung in the air, forming soft clouds, with each step kissing the pavement. The rhythmic beats of her feet echoed, and no one minded. The scent of dew-drenched grass still wafted through the air, and the only sounds were the pounding of her feet, the whisper of the wind, and the beating of her heart.

In her thoughts, she dwelled on the upcoming race, where she was the face of her school, a frequent victor in local competitions. Many anticipated and prepared for her school to claim the trophy. Little did they know that the weight of those expectations would rest upon her shoulders.

Enter Ellie, a mysterious figure who appeared out of nowhere. There were no traces of her winning any previous races, and she lacked any experience in sports. Yet, she managed to secure numerous awards and trophies in her first year of high school.

Meanwhile, Erna had been accustomed to running since her elementary school days. Her hobby had often crowned her champion in various competitions. Then, when she encountered Ellie in high school, a figure seemingly stealing the limelight effortlessly, Erna smiled. She felt she had finally found a guide, someone to aspire to, and someone she considered an inspiration.

Erna never felt a hint of envy for Ellie's abilities. Despite constant comparisons by others, Erna paid no mind. She saw Ellie as both a friend and a competitor—fellow challengers on the racing track, runners striving for the fastest finish.

However, all admiration vanished when that day arrived—the day Ellie chose to abruptly withdraw from the track and quit the track club. What shattered Erna's heart was the reason Ellie expressed to their club advisor.

I’m done running.

The weight of those words still lingered in her heart, indelible and impossible to dismiss. Difficult to forget, Erna found herself succumbing to the comparisons she had once disregarded. With every encounter, her gaze hinted at disappointment, and on the track, she still envisioned Ellie ahead of her. Even after Ellie left the track club, Erna had yet to surpass Ellie's record, no matter how hard she tried.

Practice, practice, and more practice.

Erna solidified her resolve, convinced that if she dedicated herself to her passion, one day she would surpass the one she once considered an inspiration. Then, a sound reached her ears from behind, growing nearer. Recognizing the rhythm, Erna realized the person was also running. It was the first time she encountered someone on her new route. Considering it was her first dawn run in this place on a Sunday, it wasn't surprising that others in the neighborhood took the initiative to run at this hour.

Yet, the person drew closer. At the edge of Erna's vision, she could finally see the hands of the runner now beside her. After ensuring there were no obstacles ahead, Erna turned to look. There, she discovered the very girl who had disappointed her, running alongside her. Sensing Erna's gaze, Ellie turned as well, a smile adorning her face.

“Told you that... I’ll accompany you on the morning run as usual.”

Erna dismissed her presence, quickening her pace. Ellie followed suit, deciding this time to stay behind. Eventually, both arrived at the expansive grassy field. Erna bent forward, legs straight, regulating her breath. Ellie mirrored the gesture a short distance behind. Not wanting to be close enough for the sounds of their breaths to intermingle, Erna walked a bit farther and sat with her legs outstretched.

However, her effort proved futile. Ellie approached, offering a water bottle she had brought, something Erna hadn't. Seeing this, Erna turned away. Seizing the opportunity while her friend, whom she still considered as such, wasn't looking, Ellie gently pressed the water bottle against Erna's cheek, coercing her to take at least a sip.

Still feeling perturbed, Erna opted to snatch the bottle from Ellie's hand, realizing that in her tired state, she wouldn't be able to resist. Yielding to Ellie's insistence, Erna took a few sips before returning the bottle.

“You’re welcome,” Ellie murmured as she received her bottle back.

Ellie started drinking water from her bottle after finally sitting behind Erna. Their backs were facing each other.

“What are you doing here...?” Erna asked in a low tone.

“As I said earlier, accompanying you on the morning run—”

“That’s not what I asked!” Erna's voice shrieked.

Somewhat surprised, Ellie immediately understood what Erna really meant.

“I'm sorry, but... that's the only answer. If you think I'm here because of the teacher's orders, you're only half correct. But, in the end, I alone decided to meet you at this time.”

There was silence. Only the melody of the wind filled the ears. The grass below is now a silent witness to their exchange of words.

“I won't ask why. I won't thank you for giving me your water bottle either.”

“Ahaha, that's fine. I don't mind.”

The sun finally revealed itself on the eastern horizon, its warm rays embracing the two girls. Their shadows stretched across the ground as the sunrise Erna had planned to witness alone, much like the day before, transformed into a shared experience with someone else.

“But, if I may ask for something...” Ellie spoke as she watched the horizon glow yellowish. “I hope you don't change your route again. I want to keep you company until at least before the competition.”

Erna remained silent, her lips sealed. However, her ears remained attuned. The answers she sought remained elusive, unaware that, in truth, they were easily within reach. Yet, she chose to hold them at the tip of her tongue, patiently awaiting what tomorrow might bring.

1