Chapter 14 – Restlessness
19 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Crack.

The sound of several glasses falling and shattering filled the cafe's hall. All eyes turned toward the source. Some customers near the incident stood up from their seats, afraid that glass shards might hit their feet. Luckily, all the glasses were empty, so no liquid spilled on the floor. The black tiles at least made it easy to spot all the broken pieces. However, the issue wasn't there. This wasn't the first time it happened, and it was still within the same workday. The culprit was the same – Andrew.

The young man placed the tray containing the fallen glasses on the floor, knelt down, and began picking up the shards, repeatedly apologizing. Panic flashed in his eyes, and his hands trembled slightly as he collected the broken pieces onto the tray.

All the customers who had come that evening merely witnessed Andrew's mistake, and most went back to their own activities as this wasn't the first occurrence. Some were annoyed, but since the only exit was blocked by Andrew cleaning up the glass, they couldn't leave just yet.

This time, none of Andrew's coworkers came to his aid. They didn't even offer a broom or dustpan. They just watched, silently complaining within themselves. However, a girl who had been at the cashier's station approached Andrew, who was struggling. She bent down to align herself with his height, then called out to him in a weary tone.

“Enough, Andrew. Don't pick it up anymore. Let me instruct someone else to take care of it.”

“No way! This is my doing, my own fault. I can't just hand it over to someone else,” Andrew answered in panic.

“The Boss is calling you.”

The shard that had just been picked up fell again in surprise at that statement. As Andrew turned his head, the cashier girl's flat face didn't seem to be lying.

“He's waiting for you in his office. Hurry up and meet him.”

Andrew's attention returned to the shards of glass for him to pick up. Just as he picked one up, the stern tone of the cashier girl beside him seemed to pierce his ears.

“I said now! Don't waste any time!”

Andrew closed his eyes, put the freshly picked shards onto the tray, then stood up and walked towards the place he was told to. The cashier girl sighed, her eyes sweeping around, as soon as she found another worker who saw her, she told him to help immediately.

***

The scent of cigarettes filled the room. The scent persisted in the purposefully closed-window room, despite the ceiling fan running. In the middle of the room, Andrew sat in a chair, waiting for the man in front of him to speak. The man, aged well beyond his mid-30s, had a somewhat rough appearance, an authentically rugged image. His shirt sleeves were rolled up, and two top buttons of his shirt were left unfastened. All interactions in this office typically moved swiftly and efficiently, without unnecessary words. Therefore, Andrew could only remain silent. However, in his mind, he understood very well why he was summoned.

The man extinguished his cigarette in the ashtray, then rose from his chair. He approached Andrew, ending up behind the young man.

“You do understand why you're here, don't you?”

Andrew immediately widened his eyes, there was no room for humor in the tone he heard.

“Yes, sir,” Andrew replied weakly.

“Lately, your performance at work has been declining. Not serving customers with a friendly attitude, and even breaking glasses. Tell me, how many times have you dropped glasses today?”

“It’s... four times, sir.”

The man sighed in annoyance. However, his face was flat as if he was holding back his temper towards one of his workers.

“And if that's combined with how many times you've done it, maybe the total is already more than three times that. It seems pointless for me to scold you if the result is that your performance keeps declining.”

The man placed something on Andrew's shoulder. It fell, landing in the young man's lap—an envelope containing his salary. The man then walked back to his chair and lit a new cigarette. As he exhaled the smoke from his fresh cigarette, he stared straight at Andrew.

“You don’t need to come back tomorrow.”

“B-But...”

“The decision has been made, there is no room for argument.”

 

Andrew fell silent immediately, having nothing to respond with. He silently examined the envelope given to him. Finally, he released a heavy sigh, bid his boss farewell, and expressed his gratitude before leaving the place that, just five minutes ago, had been his workplace.

***

The night atmosphere accompanied Andrew on his journey home. The fatigue of the day clung to him like a heavy cloak, compounded by the weight of disappointment pressing on his shoulders. The dim glow of streetlights cast elongated shadows reflecting the uncertainty in his mind.

The notice of his involuntary termination hit him unexpectedly. While it wasn't the first time he had lost a job, it was the first time he had been fired. As a result, the words from his former boss left traces of confusion and doubt in his heart.

After unlocking the front door of his home with the spare key, the silence inside mirrored the burden he felt. However, shortly after relocking the front door, he felt warmth and tenderness underneath. At his feet, Nyaa was rubbing against him, seeking attention. Andrew smiled, considering this gesture as Nyaa's welcome home.

Andrew usually came home at ten in the evening, precisely when the cafe closed. Currently, it was still half past eight, and the young man didn't know what to do. However, since he had been warmly welcomed by Nyaa, he decided to play for a while until the cat eventually fell asleep.

“Thank you, Nyaa. I'll buy you the premium food someday.”

After leaving the living room, Andrew found Will sleeping on the floor in front of his room. On the child's stomach, Meow was sound asleep. Andrew decided to carry Will to his bed while making sure not to disturb Meow. Both of them slept soundly and were unaware of being lifted and moved. Before leaving his brother's room, Andrew gently stroked his younger brother's hair.

“Sweet dream, Will.”

After a brief evening shower and putting on a regular sleep shirt, Andrew lay down on his bedroom's bed. The room, illuminated by the dim light of a small lamp on the table, felt like a suddenly cold place to rest. The envelope containing his monthly salary lay on the table, and the sharp words spoken when it was given still echoed vividly.

His once empty mind was now filled with anxiety. Staring at the ceiling didn't chase it away. Like an uninvited guest, the feeling crept into the room, entwining Andrew's thoughts. Various questions and statements swirled in his mind like a storm: What now? I need to find a new job before my savings run out. I can't just ask for money from my aunt. Should I accept the offer from the pet shop owner?

The wall clock continued to tick, an incessant reminder of time marching forward, each second echoing the urgency to find a new path. Andrew reached for his phone. His fingers danced on the keys, exploring the digital landscape for opportunities.

As the browser opened a canvas of possibilities, Andrew navigated the labyrinth of part-time job listings. Each click was a step to sustain his income. The screen's light illuminated his face, revealing a mix of seriousness and distress.

His search led him to part-time job boards, each promising new opportunity. The job descriptions ranged from cashier positions to roles as a tutor, a vast array of potential lives. Before sleep claimed him, Andrew updated his resume for future use.

About an hour later, around the time Andrew usually returned home from work, fatigue finally overcame him. His eyes closed, the phone screen went dark. His soft snores indicated he had landed in the world of dreams.

As his sleep deepened, the entity awakened. Its laughter echoed, but Andrew could no longer hear it.

[ About time this human fell in the deep slumber.]

1