Chapter 19 – Slash and Scratch
22 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

All she ever wanted was just an ordinary life. A routine where you could go to school, learn, come home while grabbing a bite, enjoy entertainment through books and social media, and relish holidays with friends. Never once did she imagine that such a life would change just because she woke up from a strange dream on the day she turned 17.

Yet, she was also not someone with ambitions to pursue lofty goals, lacked the desire for more serious relationships than what she already had, and had no intention of changing the trait where she never appreciated what he had. The potential she could achieve, the future she could step into—none of that ever crossed her mind.

A friend once said that all these thoughts were too premature for a not-yet-adult, that it was natural to want to live carefree without burdens in the teenage years. However, there was also a creature that denied it all, claiming that she was someone useless, the perfect vessel for the creature to inhabit.

The consequences arrived at this moment.

She could die. Not the kind of death she experienced in her subconscious, but a death where she could no longer welcome the next day.

Behind her, Clive hesitated to take a step. Whether it could have a positive impact or not, the creature that had absorbed Andrew's body forbade him from helping. This meant she had to act alone. Her current opponent could be considered like Umbra, but with a smaller human-like stature and the agility of a wild animal.

She swallowed hard. Her hand gripping the sword trembled. Her ears could only hear her breath and the slightly racing heartbeat. She could feel the chill creeping through her entire body.

“I don’t want to die.”

The thoughts screamed within her mind. Only she could hear them. Or perhaps Grace could too. However, she had suspected that Grace wouldn't care unless she was in danger. And she was convinced that her body would be taken over by the entity residing within her if she lost this battle. Although it might save her life, she doubted her body would be returned if that were to happen.

Grace laughed. In response to her tumultuous soul and emotions, Grace laughed as if indifferent.

She wanted to ask the reason behind that laughter. However, she was certain the answer wouldn't be given.

“Ellie!”

Clive's shout snapped her back to the reality before her. Andrew's body stood right in front of her, fists clenched tightly and ready to strike. Understanding the opponent's attack, Ellie directed her sword as the sole shield.

The fist collided with Ellie's sword, pushing her body backward. Fortunately, she remained unharmed. However, the relief was short-lived as she braced herself for the impending onslaught.

Ellie managed to deflect every attack, not only from the front but also from all directions. Even she could hardly believe her abilities, attributing it to luck or the fact that her opponent had yet to unleash their full strength.

Clive silently observed every move. His gaze was fixed on the battle, while his hands tightly gripped his staff, as if wanting to crush it. He had accepted Ellie's decision to enter Andrew's subconscious, but ironically, he found himself unable to act within it. Or more precisely, he was forbidden to act.

If Ellie were to fall, that's when he would intervene. To save the girl and escape from this realm instantly. Andrew might have to be sacrificed. He would not be able to save him anymore if things got any worse than this. One wonders what would happen if fate guided Ellie to victory. Until the end of this battle unfolded, Clive could only watch.

“Don’t die on me now, Ellie.”

With every blow Ellie endured, a cruel grin crossed her opponent's face. Her breath seemed to catch with each strike her sword absorbed.

Then, in a moment of vulnerability, Ellie's left shoulder took a powerful punch.

“Kh!”

Ellie moved to the side. Taking advantage of the time when the girl was still feeling pain from the attack she had received, the opponent used its claws to slice.

Both arms, both legs, her back, and waist were scratched, leaving distinct marks. Some shreds of Ellie's clothing also tore apart due to the onslaught. Blood visibly streamed from the wounds.

The figure that had absorbed Andrew's body paused its attack momentarily. It walked towards Ellie from the front. Ellie assumed a defensive stance. Seeing Ellie seemingly unprepared to face it, let alone retaliate against each of its attacks, the creature easily caught the tip of Ellie's sword and stared sharply at her with lips that resembled a flat line.

“Listen here, coward. If you don’t want any of us seeing your bare body be exposed, you better start to fight me back.”

Ellie's face contorted in anger, her cheeks slightly flushed. She didn't hesitate to slash at the opponent's hand that held her blade, as if asking to be attacked without resistance. Ellie then leaped backward, creating distance between them. Her left hand felt weak, it seemed she could only rely on her right hand to reach the end of the battle.

“That was a giveaway. Now I hope you fight me seriously this time,” The creature said as it clenched the palm that Ellie had just slashed, as if to show that the cut had no effect.

Ellie turned around, looking at Clive.

“Clive... if anything ever happens to me. Please, I beg you to save Andrew first.”

Ellie's confession left Clive speechless. He realized that it was nothing like the Ellie he knew. It even went against the plan he had in mind.

“I can’t promise you that,” Clive said with a stern face and a serious tone.

Ellie was a little surprised, then looked back at the front. “I see...”

Whatever had possessed Ellie to say such words, she didn't even like them herself.

Trying to sacrifice herself? Something must be wrong in her head and mind. However, perhaps it may be true. Moreover, she could no longer retreat from the current situation.

“Today might be the last day for me draw a breath. But...”

Her hands trembled, but she pointed the sword at the enemy. This time, she intended not to use the blunt part of the blade. It might hurt Andrew. However, if that was what it took to defeat the creature and save him, Ellie dismissed any other thoughts attempting to interfere.

“At least, I’ll try to make it harder for that thing to beat me!”

Ellie darted forward, attempting to launch her first attack. Holding the sword hilt with only one hand, different from her usual fighting style, Ellie ignored the pain from the claw marks on various parts of her body, utilizing her speed against the creature before her.

She was aware she might be quickly overpowered. She knew her attacks might not be as powerful as usual. However, she pressed on.

Ellie advanced the sword, attempting to stab her opponent. The creature sidestepped, then boldly brought its face close to Ellie, even though her sword nearly touched its cheek. As they were about to collide, Ellie slightly lowered her body, tightened her grip, and attacked the creature's waist.

Her sword successfully slashed. Feeling unsatisfied, Ellie used her left hand to grab the creature's hair before losing her balance and falling.

“You little—”

The enemy aimed with its claws, attempting to strike as Ellie tried to regain her footing. However, Ellie first pulled the creature's hair harder, flipping their positions.

The creature slammed onto the surface, while Ellie stood above, readying for the next attack.

Feeling somewhat annoyed at being thrown down, the enemy raised both legs and spun to rise again, successfully grabbing Ellie's sword with both hands.

“...!”

It leaped, then kicked Ellie away and disarmed her.

Ellie's sword was thrown back to its owner. The creature then raised its fingers, signaling Ellie to attack again.

“Now this is where the fun begins.”

Ellie grabbed her sword and ran towards the enemy. Both launched attacks and defended against each other. In the flurry of combat, Ellie couldn't gain the upper hand. Consequently, she found herself playing more defensively as their close-quarters battle extended a bit longer. When she retreated to catch a breath, the enemy didn't allow her much time, charging from above.

Ellie successfully rolled aside to evade. Her breathing rhythm was somewhat steady. A hoarse growl echoed, signaling the impending clash from the opponent. Ellie's hand gripped her black sword tightly once again. The wolf-like figure extended its claws, circling Ellie with a speed that could leave its shadow behind.

The creature's attack sliced through the silence, clashing metal with claws. Ellie extended her sword, aiming for the creature's abdomen. However, the creature wouldn't stay still and allow the blade to pierce it. As a retaliation after evading, the creature, with the sharpness of its claws, attacked Ellie's thigh once more. The girl couldn't avoid the strike, and the pain quickly spread, no longer ignorable as before.

Ellie screamed loudly, attempting to alleviate the pain by heightening her adrenaline. She swung her sword aggressively, targeting the creature's agile neck. The creature easily dodged it. After that, Ellie felt the searing heat from the marks of the creature's claws. Her sword wavered, but her eyes showed no intention of surrender. Ellie then dodged the next attack, never taking her gaze off her opponent.

Growing bolder as its attacks landed more frequently, the creature relentlessly lunged at Ellie. This time, Ellie, driven by a mix of pain and determination, continuously awaited every assault. Her sword always met the creature's fists and claws, creating echoes that formed a specific rhythm.

Clive clenched his fists. His teeth were gritted. With Ellie's current condition, he felt uncertain about the decreasing odds of her victory with each collision.

Certainly, the creature wouldn't just stop attacking. It kept advancing. Its claws, as sharp as razors, managed to pierce Ellie's back deeply.

“Aaaaarrrrggghhhh......!!!”

Ellie staggered, momentarily losing her balance. However, her resilience persisted. Strength remained within her, something the girl herself wasn't aware she possessed.

The creature's bright red eyes glowed, staring at Ellie like a predator locking onto its prey.

Ellie's breath became more labored. Driven by the instinct to defend herself, she continued to dodge and parry each onslaught gracefully. Taking advantage of their close proximity, Ellie successfully thrust her sword, piercing the creature's left shoulder.

The stakes grew higher. The creature, now wounded by three of Ellie's attacks, intensified its assault. Clive was the sole witness to this battle that unfolded only in the subconscious realm.

Each clash became more intense, the attacks and defenses displaying a dynamic interaction between skill and brutality. In the open space without any hiding spots, they continued to engage.

Blood adorned Ellie's limbs. Bruised and blood-stained, Ellie realized that the end of this battle was near. Her breath lost its rhythm, her vision slightly blurred. In front of her, the enemy approached slowly, grinning widely, as if underestimating and being confident that victory was within its grasp.

At the pinnacle of the battle, Ellie's ears heard Grace's laughter once again.

[ You look awful right now. Want me to take over?]

Although unable to see her face, Ellie was certain that Grace wore a similar grin to her enemy. Grace and the creature seemed to be acquainted with each other. Ellie didn't want to take the risk of letting Grace take control of her body, even if it meant saving her life.

However, just when hope seemed elusive, Ellie remembered something. Words she had heard from Grace. Whether it would be useful to turn the tide, she wanted to harness the power of Grace that she had always witnessed.

“Grace... can I ask you something?”

[ Hm? In the middle of the fight, you want to ask something? How brave of you.]

“The thing that got Andrew become like that... can it be considered as a negative emotion?”

Ellie asked her question regardless of Grace's words.

Grace was silent for a moment. The next second, Ellie heard her snort.

[ You just realized that after getting beaten up?]

Ellie widened her eyes.

The opportunity to turn things around is still there. All she needed to do was two things. Knowing how she should proceed and creating the momentum to launch the intended attack.

“Then... can you tell me how you usually feast the emotions from the Umbra?”

Grace laughed aloud, not expecting to hear such a request from Ellie.

[ You want to use that on a human? One that got the same conditions like you and someone you considered as a friend? That’s bold.]

“Shut up and tell me already!”

[ Okay, relax. Time is not in your side right now. So, I’ll make this quick. You better listen carefully if you want to survive.]

While pointing her sword at the enemy, Ellie deliberately made the creature think that she was waiting for an attack by not taking her eyes off it. Her ears were attentively tuned in to Grace's guidance.

Ellie planned to consume the negative emotions that Andrew currently harbored. More precisely, on the body now controlled by the entity within the young man. If this method could defeat the creature and restore Andrew's consciousness, Ellie didn't mind accepting assistance from Grace, even just this once.

2