Chapter 21 – Winning and Losing
18 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After climbing the tree to retrieve her shoulder bag hanging from one of the branches, Ellie hurried back home to change her clothes.

Fortunately, her mother was out for some errands. Ellie didn't need to be overly cautious upon arriving home, let alone prepare some answers if her mother questioned about the peculiar robe she currently wore. She didn't even want to contemplate what her mother might think if she found out about her torned shirt and tank top. Ellie feared providing a fitting and reasonable excuse, even if it meant she has to lie.

Unlocking the front door, Ellie entered her house and lock it again. Her steps led her to her room. She closed the curtains, dimming the room as the sunlight and views from outside had been penetrating through the window.

She removed the robe she borrowed from Clive, folded it, and placed it on the bed. Upon opening her wardrobe, Ellie chose a simple-patterned shirt and a plain tank top as an underwear. As she removed her current clothes, exposing her upper body, she noticed the extent of the fabric's damage caused by the entity's claws she had recently battled.

Ellie sighed softly.

The shirt had often accompanied her on outings and seeing it in tatters made her feel somewhat melancholic. However, rather than discarding it for being unfit to wear, Ellie decided to sew it when she had some spare time. The same applied to her tank top. She'll fix both.

After folding the scratched clothes and placing them temporarily in a plastic bag, which she then tied, Ellie stored them in a drawer inside her wardrobe.

Just like she experienced before, she found no traces of wounds on her back when she looked at it through the mirror. All the injuries sustained during the battle with the wolf-like creature had vanished. In her heart, Ellie expressed immense gratitude to Clive. Somehow, her fate might have been different if the man hadn't been there.

Ellie reflected on all the decisions and actions she had taken in Andrew's subconscious realm not long ago. It all seemed to unfold naturally. She could hardly believe she had done all those things for the first time. Perhaps it was Clive's presence and her profound trust in him that made her not think twice about enduring severe injuries.

She realized that such impulsive actions would need to be curtailed in the future, especially when facing battles where she had to act alone. Training is necessary.

Her gracefully contoured body was once again covered in new clothes. She lightly applied makeup to her face, grabbed her bag, and left the house once more. The time displayed on her phone was nearly nine o'clock. The boys' running competition had undoubtedly concluded, leaving only the girls now racing. Although she couldn't witness Erna darting from the starting line, there was still a chance for Ellie to see her friend cross the finish line first if she hurried.

Before returning to the location where the competition took place, Ellie stopped by the nearest convenience store and purchased some snacks to celebrate the event's conclusion. Whether Erna won the race or not, Ellie wasn't too concerned. What she knew for certain was the relentless effort the girl had put into her daily training.

Nevertheless, she was confident that victory belonged to Erna.

Upon arriving at her intended destination, Ellie's ears caught the sounds of joy, and her eyes witnessed the bustling crowd. She headed straight to the spot where she had been sitting earlier, only to find it occupied by someone else.

Around her, several male students who had participated in the race were adorned with participation medals hanging around their necks. Then, she spotted one student proudly displaying his gold medal to his friends and family with a wide grin.

Ellie walked around, searching for a good vantage point to see Erna cross the finish line. She kept searching, but it seemed that no empty spaces were available. Everything was lively and occupied.

Then, she realized that the usual ribbon adorning the finish line was absent and lay crumpled on the ground. In the next moment, a female student from another school ran past the finish line, followed by several other girls at varying distances. Erna was not among them.

Ellie's ears then picked up the sounds of excitement not far from where she stood. She turned and found several female students in their school sports uniforms gathered there. Ellie approached, and the gathering became clearer. She soon spotted Erna at the center of the group.

Seeing Erna there, Ellie's expression turned somber. She had missed Erna crossing the finish line. She felt like she had broken her promise to Erna.

As Ellie was about to turn away after observing the commotion of her club from a distance, Erna turned her head. The girl's eyes managed to spot Ellie standing afar. Shortly after, a radiant smile spread across Erna's face. Both of her hands released something hanging around her neck. Erna then lifted her gold medal high so that Ellie could see.

Ellie felt moved. Despite being confident that Erna would win, she hadn't expected Erna to still accepting her even after not witnessing her cross the finish line. Not wanting to diminish her friend's smile, Ellie responded with an equally beautiful smile, followed by a thumbs-up.

***

As Andrew slowly walked home, he began to recollect what had transpired after he left Will alone to search for an open veterinary clinic. However, his body was controlled by the entity within him as emotions churned and roiled within his heart. He had no awareness of when exactly his body had been taken over.

For now, all he knew was what Clive had conveyed to him. He had been saved by both Clive and Ellie. Feeling a deep sense of gratitude, Andrew pondered ways to repay their kindness in some manner. To make that happen, he needed to secure a new job as soon as possible.

As Andrew's feet carried him past the front gate of the apartment, his attention was immediately drawn to the figure of Will sitting in front of their room. Fortunately, his tearful sibling was accompanied by their aunt, who sat beside Will, comforting him. Her hand, previously soothing Will's back, suddenly halted upon realizing Andrew's presence.

Shortly after, Will followed their aunt's gaze to discover Andrew's figure. Will stood up, looking at hsi older brother with hope. Andrew didn't respond, not a single word uttered, his expression unable to sustain further gaze at Will. Will immediately understood the meaning behind his brother's silence. His tears continued flowing after a brief pause.

Their aunt approached Andrew, updating him on the dire condition of the kitten, which had become quite lethargic a few minutes ago. Andrew was then directed to the location where the kitten was. It lay in the same cardboard box where he and Will had found it.

On the soft, clean fabric, the kitten's body lay still and stiff. Its belly showed no sign of rising and falling. Its breath had ceased.

Andrew sighed heavily as he wrapped the kitten's lifeless form in the fabric that had served as its bed. The young man invited Will to join him outside, suggesting they rest Meow together under the nearest shady tree in the apartment complex.

After digging a deep enough hole for a proper burial, Andrew retrieved the kitten from the box his sibling had brought. He laid it to rest fittingly. Both brothers mourned over the ground where their pet would rest forever.

Will couldn't stop his torrents of tears. Andrew embraced his little brother from the side, attempting to appear strong for him and soothe his grieving heart. However, even someone like him couldn't hold back his own tears, allowing them to flow and wet both faces and the earth beneath.

Their aunt observed from a distance, giving the siblings time to mourn. Whatever she might say, she wasn't sure it could erase the sadness that enveloped both of their hearts.

On a bright morning devoid of any visible clouds, Andrew and Will began their day with tears.

 

If you do realize, then yes, this chapter didn't have any dialogues at all. I tried to write the scene just like this. Silent. Maybe I would write another chapter like this if the vibe matched with the story.

Also, I'd like to announce that tomorrow will be the last chapter of this arc. And there's going to be an announcement as well. 

Thank you for reading my story!

0