Chapter 9: Otosaki Rei and the study session (Part 1)
253 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Otosaki Rei:

They say love makes you lose common sense. That's what is happening with me right now.

I, Otosaki Rei, would have my midterm exams from Monday. And yet, with only two days remaining, I couldn't concentrate on my studies. It's not like I was an idiot. I ranked in the top 10 in my last semester. But this time, I was not even sure whether I would get pass marks.

The most important thing on my mind right now was... Rintaro and Yumiko. Just a few minutes ago, Yumiko sent me a picture of her and Rintaro studying

My mind was going blank... in frustration, anger, jealousy...

Why on earth did you send me this??

I bet that girl still didn't understand that I too actually loved Rintaro. Or did she know everything and she intentionally did this to piss me off? 

Yumiko was not just unfairly beautiful but also one of the best students in the school. Last semester, she got the top rank in studies. And she is also super athletic. In short, she was like a main female lead of a manga.

I absolutely hated her guts, but I still had to accept the cold and harsh facts. She was way better than me

At this moment, I could only remember that person for help. The boy who always helped me whenever I was in need - Daichi-kun. 

After consulting with Daichi-kun many times, I had successfully learnt to calm my nerves down. I didn't know why but whenever I talked with Daichi-kun, I... always got relaxed. His jokes were the best, but he was more than just a funny guy. In fact, he was also a wonderful person.

I was slowly but surely... learning to forget about Rintaro...

But it was tough... and after seeing the picture of him and Yumiko together, I was awfully jealous right now.

How to calm down and study?... there's only one way...

I took my phone and proceeded to call him... Daichi-kun.

I impatiently waited for him to answer the call, but to my dismay... the answer which came...

"The number you're calling to is currently switched off."

Switched off...

Instead of thinking about some other ways to calm down, I... panicked

There's no way I'm going to be okay without talking to him. 

Daichi-kun... I need to talk to you... I can't stay calm... please. 

I called again... but it still said 'switched off'. 

Then I remembered last day... when I lied to Rintaro saying that I had a planned a study meeting with Daichi-kun. 

Right? How about I just go there? 

As far as I knew, Daichi-kun mostly stayed at his home. Last day, when we went to the family restaurant, he told me his house was only 10 minutes away from there. I could easily find his home.

I hurriedly took my study materials and notebooks in my bag and left my house.

It took me 10 minutes in bus and then 10 minutes walk to find his house. It's a regular two storey house. I took a deep breath and pressed the doorbell. 

"Wait a sec.", the familiar voice was heard from inside.

When Daichi-kun opened the door, he was, as expected, surprised. 

"Eh? Otosaki?"

"Umm... I'm sorry but can I study with you today, Daichi-kun?"

"Study? I don't really get it, but come in."

I was so happy when he invited me in. I had a fear that he might not be home or he might have some other work.

We went to the drawing room where I was told to sit on one of the cushions near the table. Daichi-kun then gave me a glass of orange juice. 

"Well if I knew you would come, I would have bought some cold coffee."

"Fufu you don't have to worry about that."

"By the way, what really happened that you had to come?"

"I-I told you right? Study, I needed your help."

"My help? Otosaki is literally better than me in study. There got to be some other reason."

Jeez, he's smart, isn't he?

I gave up and told him the real reason. He sincerely heard me till the end and then said,

"I see. Your mind is all occupied by Shirogane right now?"

"Yes."

"And that's why you came all the way here, to relax?"

"D-Didn't you tell me yesterday that whenever I feel uncomfortable, I can contact you? And your phone was switched off."

"Yeah don't worry. I have no problem at all. And my phone was switched off because of low battery. I have charged it but forgot to turn on."

"I... see."

I was happy when he told me not to worry. I honestly was scared that he wouldn't let me stay.

"By the way...", Daichi-kun continued, "I actually have planned a study session here with three others. They may come anytime."

"Ehhhh?"

"Yes. You know those three. They are from my club."

"I see... That means..."

That means I can't stay here huh... I need to go home and stay alone... have thoughts about Rintaro and Yumiko whole day and night and in the end fail the next week's exams...

I was prepared to leave after hearing that but then...

"That means Otosaki can just join us. It will be much better with more people. Isn't it?"

I could only stare at the smiling face of Daichi-kun as I couldn't believe what he just said. 

"C-Can I... really?"

"Yes!"

"B-But won't it be disturbing for the others to have me here?"

"Huh? Don't worry, nobody will mind you here."

"T-Thank you! Daichi-kun! You're really kind."

"Not at all. Otosaki is my priority right now. She's an important friend after all."

Priority? Important friend? I don't remember anyone describing me 'important' in my life. Somehow the only person to whom I was important, just met me a few days ago...

Daichi-kun... you're also very important to me.

I then realised that my cheeks got a little reddened. I immediately looked away from Daichi-kun and said,

"I-I need to go to the washroom."

"Ah okay. Go this way."

I stood up and left. For a few moments, I needed to make up my mind.

Daichi-kun... why are you so kind to me...?

Daichi Itakura:

As Otosaki went to washroom, I took a deep breath. Did I talk a little too much? 

Probably... my "important friend" comment might have made Otosaki a little bit embarrassed. However being embarrassed was much better than being obsessed with Rintaro. Right now, my task was to make her forget about Rintaro for a week so that she could concentrate for upcoming exams. 

At that moment, the doorbell rang again. 

I opened the door to welcome Tachibana senpai, Yanami and Hajime senpai.

"Yo! Dai-kun we are here!"

"Sorry for intruding, Daichi-san."

"Damn Daichi, your house is at such a good place."

"Welcome you all."

I brought 5 cushions for all of us to sit around the small table in the drawing room.

Of the three, Yanami was the only one who was a little uncomfortable. Hajime senpai, meanwhile forgot about studying and turned on the tv. He was about to get scolded by Tachibana senpai.

However, Tachibana senpai was thinking something else.

"Umm... Dai-kun, what about the 5th cushion?"

"Oh yeah that's-"

"DAICHI-KUNNNN!"

I was about to answer but suddenly I heard a scream from the washroom. It was from Otosaki. 

"W-What happened?"

I ran towards the washroom and was instantly embraced by a scared Otosaki.

"H-Hey what's the matter?"

"T-There's..."

I looked inside and saw.... a cockroach. 

"Otosaki... are you for real..."

"I-I absolutely h-hate cockroaches! I don't want to see them!"

"Okay okay. Jeez you're still a child.", I slowly patted her head to calm her down.

At that moment I realised I forgot about something important. 

"Ahem!"

I looked behind to see... three pairs of curious eyes staring us. 

"Dai-kun... I want to hear some explanation."

[To be continued]

7