Chapter 8 : Survival
99 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When I thought everything was about to end, A shadow suddenly fell down from above.

Everything seemed to move in slow motion as I saw Dale who seemed to have jumped from the second floor pierced the monster's eyes with a long broken wood that may have come from a part of a chair.

Like a popped water balloon, blood splashed all around. The monster gave head splitting roar as it scream of agony and started to move madly like a bull in rage.

Despite its skin and bone appearance, The monster was bleeding so much. The overwhelming blood splattered as it move around the place destroying all the tables and chairs. It seems like it was trying to throw off Dale who was currently holding on the impaled wood.

What are you doing? Run!”

I snapped out of my daze as I heard his shout and timely rolled to the side to avoid an incoming wood that was thrown by the crazed monster.

After stabilizing my balance I stood up and intended to ran away to distance myself from the monster when I suddenly slipped because of the floor wet with blood. My vision went black for a moment and I nearly bit my tongue from the fall. Despite the pain I hurriedly crawled away from the rampaging monster.

As I left the area where the monster was, I looked back and saw Dale still holding the wood as the monster frantically move and thrash around.

The monster's big but thankfully it's movement was slow and it was unable to shake Dale off. However this can't be left alone since the monster has been making noises it will definitely attract zombies or other monsters.

Looking at the monster's current state, the damage that Dale dealt was not enough to kill it.

The monster moved in chaotic mess but was unable to remove Dale was tenaciously holding on the wood that was stuck at the monsters eyes. Despite his predicament he was still calm and cold.

'I have to do my best as well!'

Looking at the furious monster, I racked my brain as I thought of how to kill it. I eyed the monster guardedly when one of the damaged pillars of the second floor caught my eyes. It was damaged during the start of the monster's rampage.

A plan suddenly formed in my mind. I was not sure if this plan will work but I decided to do it since there were no other possible way I can think off to kill this creature.

Gritting my teeth I bet it all on this crazy move. Taking a deep breath I pushed both fear and anxiety aside.

While I started to move, Dale also moved to put more pressure on the wood to embed it further into the monster's eyes which earned another roar of pain from the creature. It started to increase it's movements and knocked on the tables and chairs in it's effort to throw off Dale.

Taking slow, deliberate steps, I cautiously moved towards the pillar as the monster was too occupied with it's desire to remove Dale and from its body.

Arriving at the base of the damaged pillar, I started to gather bits and pieces of broken chairs and tables around me. With enough on hand, I took a deep breath and held a broken chair leg high and with all my might threw the piece of wood towards the monster.

I looked anxiously at the wood high in the air before it landed about 10 steps from me.

...”, I speechlessly looked at the wood that did not even leave more than 10 steps away from me.

I've never been as frustrated before as I was now. I have long know of how weak I was but really never put it to mind since I have never thought I will ever need to became strong. Anyway I never joined any sports activities before. Now I finally felt the feeling of regretting so much that my stomach was hurting.

You ugly monster!!!! Hey Come here if your really strong!” Anxious and desperate, I shouted at the monster as I continuously threw the things I gathered. I made noise by shouting at the top of my lungs to attract it's attention.

Maybe because of luck, one of the wood I thew finally landed on the monster's back. Fortunately or unfortunately it might have felt it because it suddenly stop it's struggles like some pause button was pressed.

I unconsciously held my breath as I watch the big monster slowly faced me.

As I looked at the remaining eye glow with vicious light, I knew that it's anger had found an outlet as it saw me. I froze with fear but compose myself faster than before.

Hey ugly monster, come and get me if you can!” I shouted despite my quivering voice.

Like a response, the monster roared so hard and charged like a bull that saw red.

My hands were cold as ice and my back was already drench with cold sweat however despite the fear that was assailing my senses I stood still in front of the pillar as I watch the monster ran towards me.

'Not yet... not yet.' I continued to chant in my mind as I look at the distance of the monster.

Now!” A sudden shout made my tight body suddenly move like a spring that jump to the side. With my sudden movement, It was just in time with the sudden jump of the monster that made it arrive at my previous spot in a blink of an eye.

If not for the warning, I might have not escaped the monster's attack.

Before I can even sigh with relief, I saw how the monster rammed it's huge body at the pillar. Like a sand castle that was washed away by the strong waves, the pillar along with the second layer fell down. Like a domino effect, the other pillar was also affected bringing down the whole second layer of the library. Stone debris, bookshelves, books, chairs and tables all came falling down with a large rumbling sound that seem to shook the ground.

No! I internally shouted in my mind as I watch the debris falling from above. I have not calculated the range of the destruction to become so big that the whole 2nd floor of the library to fall down.

I just fortunately escaped the monster's direct attack however my luck seems to have suddenly drop to zero as I watched the falling debris. I wanted to run however a throbbing pain started from my ankle. It seems that I unwittingly twisted my ankle when I jumped away from the monster.

As I saw the the debris fall down, I can't help but close my eyes tightly. Waiting for the pain to come. Well it Is better to be buried under this than to die being killed by zombies. This thought flashed by as I waited the pain.

I waited... however instead of the pain from being buried alive, I suddenly felt my collar being pulled with incredible force that nearly chocked me to death. I felt warmth enveloped me then It felt like I was flying mid-air which was followed with the sensation of free-falling with a thud.

Everything seems to fade out. I can only feel my own heart beating so loud and clear together with the warmth at my back and soft breath above my head.

Today I nearly died twice and also was saved twice.

Once the adrenaline from the tense fight drained away I can't help but hear a crying sound. Then I felt a warm had covered my eyes.

It took a while before I noticed that the sound was coming from me and the hand covering my eyes was already wet with my tears.

In mere hours since I woke up from this nightmare, I have never thought to have faced death so close. Deep in my heart I have been thinking that this might have really been a dream. A nightmare that I will suddenly wake up from.

Everything seems so real but like a dream. I have been so positive since I woke up in the infirmary. Despite the fear and anxiousness I might have not really have taken everything to heart. It was only during these two encounter with death that everything seems to sink in as reality.

I cried because of fear, I cried because of the bleak future however more than anything I cried because I survived.

I am alive and will continue to live.

1