Chapter 1: The Beginning
234 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 1: The Beginning


Thump… thump…

Ah! I can hear my heart beating so loudly. This was the first thought that entered my mind. Where I am? – I don’t know… But what I am sure of is that I am currently hiding. Hiding from what? – I also don’t know.

I’m scared… even if I know that this is definitely a dream.

I held my breath as I tried to calm down my heart.

Suddenly a muted sound of rustling can be heard, since the surrounding was unnaturally quite the sound was especially clear. Thought the sound was muted somehow this nearly made my heart jump out of my throat but instinctively I covered my mouth with my hands to prevent sound from escaping.

The weird sound was becoming clearer as it neared my location of hiding; the coldness was slowly creeping around my body. Sweat started to wet my face as I wait with bated breath.

I’m going to die… This was the thought running in my mind as the sound became clearer.

Donk

It was at this moment of utter despair that a sudden strike to my head woke me from this horrifying dream.

0o0o0o0o0

“Fei Hawthorne!”

I didn’t hear the voice that was calling my name as I was still immersed with the unnatural terror lingering from the dream. My heart was still pounding so loudly and my breathing ragged.

“Fei Hawthorne!”

It was only on the second call that my attention was directed to the person in front of me. My teacher, she was standing directly in front of my desk as she looked at me.

Grace Voltr, was our teacher for English. She has a long black hair tied neatly in a ponytail style with a tall figure and she wore a black formal attire. She looked beautiful and elegant. However it was her sea-foam green eyes which makes her more beautiful.

She was not only beautiful but I also heard that she was one of the top English teacher within the whole city. In fact, for me she was very easy to understand when she teaches so she became one of my favorite teachers. However she was strict and especially hates those who sleep on her class.

Looking at her, I knew I was in for a round of her stern lecture. However to my surprise, she paused as she looked at me.

Grace Voltr was about to a stern lecture about sleeping in class when she seemed noticed something wrong with her.

“Have you been sleeping late again?” My teacher asked after a brief pause.

“Sorry”, I said as I was unable to really explain. Thought I was really guilty of sleeping late, It was indeed the first time I did not notice I feel asleep and even got a nasty dream. So I was only able to apologize as I continually tried to calm my pounding heart.

My teacher frowned as she narrowed her eyes and looked at me. “You don't seem fine, your too pale.”

“Teacher, let me accompany her to the infirmary.” It was at this time when someone spoke which gave me relief from the my teacher's intense stare.

I looked at the person who spoke behind me.

‘Ack! The class representative…’

Quinlan Atwater, the class representative of our class and the ‘cold face prince’ of the school.

He was tall and had black hair and eyes, with matching eyeglass. A typical studious guy however you can’t deny that he was definitely handsome and he also carried the aura of authority emanating from him making him more special and unquestionably suitable to be a class representative .

I also heard that he came from a well-known wealthy family that was strict and according to rumors that he was also helping in their family company . This might have contributed on his serious disposition and the dominating aura coming from him. Despite his serious countenance he is quite popular not only on our own class but throughout the school.

‘Ah! How embarrassing!’ I thought as I bit my lips.

Despite the embarrassment I felt in this situation I found myself in, I have been preoccupied by that terrifying dream making me forget my embarrassment. Thinking of that dream I can’t help but shiver.

Grace looked at Fei, and thought to raise the issue of these games for the next parent-teacher meeting.

“Good, Quinlan accompany her to the infirmary.”

Being excused by my teacher,I was relieved and happy. Maybe a good rest will remove my current anxious state.

I and Class Rep walk silently to the infirmary.

It was past 1 pm in the afternoon and all students were inside their own classes. The hallway was especially quite as we walked, somehow it unnerved me. Secretly peeking at the ever silent guy beside me I was a little bit relieved.


Everything after that was a blur. I was lead to the infirmary to take a rest.

According to the nurse I was under stress and lack of sleep. With an hour or more of rest I will be able to go back to class. After that, I was left alone in the infirmary. Class Rep went back to class and the nurse went to the other infirmary which was located at the first floor.

Left alone in the silent infirmary was not really comforting. I don’t really feel sleepy since I had that dream. Somehow I felt that something terrifying was about to happen. I don’t really know what but the nagging feeling of something was so strong.

I decided not to think about it anymore and throw this ominous feeling and just take a moment’s time to overcome the terror of the dream.

I didn’t know how long I toss and turned on the bed before I finally got the much needed sleep.

Bang!

The piercing sound of window being smashed woke me from my dreamless sleep. Like a bird startled by a bow I suddenly sat on the bed. At first I thought I was dreaming but when I hear screams coming from the window, I got alarmed.

I rolled off the bed and jumped to the nearest window which was beside my bed. Heart beating rapidly from being startled by the sound, I cautiously opened the sliding window and looked below. From the sound I felt that it came from the room below the infirmary.

Currently I was at the 5th floor of the Building which was also the top floor. Aside from the infirmary which was located at the left part of the building and the library which was at the right, the whole floor was occupied by the indoor gym.


As I looked below, I saw something I will never forget.

I saw someone who was screaming as he was being pulled inside. Half of his body was already sticking out as his other half was being dragged inside. Normally anyone who saw this situation will be shocked and frightened but what scared me silly was not the person but creature pulling the screaming person!

They definitely were not normal!Ah! As they pulled the screaming person they were chewing on him! Blood was spurting everywhere as the person screamed.

I froze from shock. My mind blanked as I watched the person scream and struggle to escape from the creatures pulling him.

I saw how he was pulled inside the window drenched in his own blood.

My body turned cold and weak.

The shock was so strong that I lost consciousness.

‘This is a dream!’ I thought before the darkness wrapped me.

I woke up disoriented and the first thing that I noticed was the bed, it was cold and hard. Before long I found out that I slept on the ground instead of the infirmary bed near me.


Ugh! ‘What am I doing here?’

As I tilted up my head I saw that the sky outside the window. It seems like it was already about 4 or 5 in the afternoon. I sat up and struggled to sit at the bed near me since my feet seemed to numb.

“Ah! That dream!” I suddenly remembered that unbelievable dream! I shivered as I remember that vivid scene. It was far more scary and horrifying than the first dream I had.

Inhale, exhale…Inhale, exhale…

Haaa…

Calming my mind and thinking positively I stood up and went to the opened window.

‘I wonder if classes are finished. Kara said she will go home with me…’

As I was thinking about going home, my eyes that were looking at the setting sun was attracted by the strange movement at the ground.

My eyes widened as I saw the scene from my position. The scene was so gruesome that made me feel nauseous and overwhelming fear.

‘It was not a dream!’

My feet suddenly lost its power, but before I slump down the floor I was able to hold on to the windowsill for support.

I remembered that scene again. The screaming guy as he was pulled by those creatures! It was really not a dream.

'Zombie' This word pop-up on my mind. Other than this word, how else can I explain the bloody, mutilated body moving around, there were also mobs of this creatures eating something. Thought I was on the 5th floor I got a good enough eyes to realize what those things that were moving around the school garden were.

Outside the building numerous zombies were roaming around as were corpse littered as well. Some of the zombies were eating and others were dragging bodies.

‘Am I dreaming? This is a dream right?’ I can’t help but think.

I watched and read numerous stories about zombies and apocalypse. Just like others who had read and watch these kinds of stories I can’t help imagining scenarios of ‘what ifs’ but I have never ever wished it to really happen in reality.

Well those who really wished this kind of things to really happen in real life have a really big problem in their brain.

*pinch*

‘Agh! It’s definitely painful!’ I finally came to accept that I was not dreaming.

Confirming that I was not dreaming I was able to think about the next issue, the issue of me being safe and sound.

I looked around the infirmary. It really seemed to be that no one entered here.

I tiptoed to the door to check.

The door was locked. The only explanation was that the nurse made sure to lock the infirmary when she left me to sleep!

‘Lucky!’ I can’t help but think!

Confirming that the door was tightly shut I slowly knelt to the ground and placed my ears at the door trying to hear any noise from outside. I stayed like this for a minute or so.


Hearing nothing I slowly sat down and released a heavy sigh.

I’m sure that it was so chaotic when it started. The panic and the fear should have been over the top! I can vividly imagine the chaos. Thinking back at the time when I saw that person screaming as he was drag back inside the window was enough to shock and scare me to unconsciousness.

If by chance I did not come to the infirmary today, I can already imagine what will happen!

I would have been too scared and had frozen after seeing those zombies. Without a doubt I would have been one of the first to have died today.

With the series of coincidence I was able to survive. But now the next issue is what I have to do next?

Hugging my knees, I remembered the scene outside the window, the zombies roaming around. From this scene alone it’s not hard to deduce the current situation.

Just like the novels and movies, there is a high chance that what is happening now might be a global disaster.

‘How can I survive this…? Can I even survive?’ Thinking about this I can’t help but feel scared and helpless.

‘Where is the main character?’ I can’t help but shout in my mind. Usually in this kind of stories the protagonist was someone strong willed and courageous to survive but unfortunately I am 101% sure that I am not the main character!

‘If I’m not the main character, at least I should be a side character… or maybe an extra that will be saved by the main character?’

Playing with these thoughts, I tried to distract myself from the growing terror in my heart.

‘I’m scared…’ Despite trying to stay cool and all, as soon as this thought come forth in my mind I can’t help but silently cry.

‘I want to go home…’ Ugh! I’m really weak. Well, you can’t blame me… The stories where the main characters starts planning about escaping and saving someone just after the chaos are all rubbish…err…or maybe not but I’m not like them.

Speaking about saving someone… Indeed I’m worried about my family and friends…

Rumble!

‘Ugh… Hungry…’ Putting my hands on my stomach I tried to ignore my hunger.

The issue now is – to live or die…

If it really is the apocalypse then this world is already the world of survival of the fittest… definitely the era where I have almost 0% chance of survival.

I have very weak body… in terms of running even an elementary student can outran me!

In planning or thinking…definitely zero!I’m really not someone who can think fast and can think multiple things at a time. So if there are multiple problems happening at a time I pick up one and solve it or if I can’t just skip and go to the next. So if I am currently solving or thinking about the first issue I tend to ignore the others. This attitude really makes me daze over more than once even if I was speaking with someone.

In talent – my best friend once told me that my talent was daydreaming – I 100% agree.

Ugh! My thoughts wandered again… going back to the current main issue…

To live, I should have courage to go out of this room and look for a way to survive. To die, I should have the courage to jump over the window. Ah! Both need courage…

Since both need courage, I should choose the first one – to live. As they say, there is hope as long as you’re alive!

To Live!

With my resolution made, I placed my head on the door again to listen if there were any sounds outside.

‘…nothing!’ It was quite outside… too quite

‘What if…’ I can’t stop my mind as I started to imagine vivid images of ‘what ifs’. These imaginations started to corrode my courage and resolution!


‘Iyah!Stop!’

I waved my hands above my head as if trying to shoo away the scary images and imagination running wild in my mind.

‘Before this resolution crumbles to dust I have to move!’

Standing up I looked at the room. It was just big enough to fit two beds, one nurse desk and one cabinet where all the medicines were displayed. This infirmary was actually not the main infirmary of this building, just an extension since the main was on the first floor. It was specially made for the convenience of the students using the indoor gym and also students on the 4th floor.

Arriving at the nurse desk I started to rummage the desk for anything useful.

‘Tada!’

I was able to find a plastic pack full of chocolate! Ah! The nurse seemed really into chocolate.

Piles of assorted chocolate, 1 Liter of plastic bottled water, flashlight, bandages and assorted medicines I took from the cabinet were all stuffed inside the backpack I found. I’m not really familiar with all those medicines so I just took as many kinds as I can.


I gave one last look around the room just to make sure I have not forgotten anything.

'But before anything else, I have to eat first. Ah!' I thought as I took two chocolate bars I found and ate it. As I ate, I suddenly remember an important thing that I must never forget. Weapon!

I anxiously thought about it. Having something to protect myself with will really be assuring. I continued to chew my chocolate as I look around for anything that can be like a weapon.

It was then when I noticed there was nothing similar to a weapon or even a bat in the infirmary. I gloomily sat down the bed, closed my eyes and tried to clear my mind. ' Since I can't find any here, I might find something in the Gym.' I thought. The gym was just beside behind the infirmary so it was quite near.

As I planned my next action I opened my eyes, and my sight landed on the curtain. 'Ah! The curtain rod!' I suddenly remembered that it was a possible weapon because it was long. With excitement I went and got the curtain rod.

‘All check!’ Satisfied and feeling ready I wore the backpack and was about to lift it up to headed for the door but before I can even carry the bag I found another issue.

‘Ugh! Heavy… Can I even run with this heavy bag?’ I pondered.

I shook my head. No… The answer was very obvious.

I decided to just remove the bottled medicines and also left almost all the bandages only taking 2 rolls. 'Anyway I can use cloth as substitute' I thought.

‘Finally! It’s lighter!’ Happy with the outcome, I carried the bag. Thought it was not light, it was enough that I was able to sill move with it. If worst comes, I can just abandon the bag and run.

I walked to the door and I cautiously placed my ears on it once again to check any movements outside even before I even open it. It’s better to make sure of the situation specially I only have a curtain pole as my weapon.

With closed eyes and concentrated to check any signs of movement or sound. Seconds to minutes passed but no changes can be heard.

I was about to open the door when a crucial issue appeared in my mind – where to go.

*Facepalm*

‘Uwa… Such a crucial issue and I forgot about it?!’

Well... I was planning of going to the gym awhile ago but since I already have the curtain pole I have to think of another plan.

After a few seconds of brainstorming, an idea struck my mind. I left my bag on the floor and hurriedly checked the whole room once again. First I checked the Nurse desk to check her belongings if there might have been any I have missed.

'Tsk! There's no phone on the nurse station. Even any school phone.' I dejectedly thought.

That's right! I need to communicate with my family. Thought there was no phone in the infirmary, I suddenly remembered my phone.

'Ok, at least I know where I can get a phone... next is...' I walked towards the door and turned the light switch on to check if the electricity was still working fine. When light filled the whole room, I can't get rid of my excitement.

Since electricity was still working fine I think it is still possible to communicate with my family! However my phone was hidden in my bag and it was left in the my classroom which was located on the 4th floor.

'Ok! So first go to my classroom!'

Not only will I be able to get my phone to communicate with my family, I also wanted to know what happened to my friends and classmates.

With a goal in mind and a destination was also set I suddenly felt much better. The plan hardened my determination and with a burning vitality I reached out my hand to unlock the door.

Slowly sliding the door open. I stopped to take a peek from the gap to see if anything was outside. Seeing nothing, I got more confident to open the door.

My heart was beating so loudly and my hands cold and wet with sweat, despite this nervousness that seemed to burn my courage I was able to stick out my head and look outside the door.

My breath seemed stuck at my throat as I saw corpses on the hallway.

The hallway was quite, no, it was the whole school. It seems like after the chaos started and death became rampant, only hours later, the whole population of the school was either killed, become zombie or the minor number started to hide.

From the number of zombies and corpses that can be seen outside the building and lack of zombie or the limited number of corpses on the hallway, you can already deduce that most of the students rushed outside the building during the chaos. There were no students at the top floor during the afternoon and it was very unlikely that only few people ran up instead.

‘Are they dead? Zombie?’ I can’t help but think if these corpse will suddenly stand up or grab me as I walk pass them. ‘I hope not’

Biting my lips, I completely opened the door and walked into the hallway.

With measured steps and controlled movements, I went around the corpses on the ground. Seeing corpses from afar was thousand times different than seeing one so near. I can even smell the strong scent of blood and gore.

I felt like vomiting from the scent alone but with will power, I never thought I had, I overcame it and continued to reach the stairs going to the 4th floor.

The distance from the infirmary room to the stairs at the far end of the hallway was not that far. It was about 100 steps from the door however it felt like I just traveled miles to get to there.

After arriving at the stairs, I was unable to hold it anymore and emptied my stomach. With my throat burning, I felt miserable. It seems like the chocolate I just ate also did not help much on this situation. However I knew, I had to get used to this because I believe this is just the beginning.


Hello, this is author-san....

I'm really not a writer and this is an attempt try making stories. So I do hope you help me out and just be free on letting me know anything that I can improve on. Comments will really be appreciated.

Thanks and have a good read!

2