CH: 25 – Alone Together
206 2 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

My head was still reeling from Leyanna’s announcement as we walked through the fairgrounds.

Elrick is Ella’s fiance? How can that be? She hates him!

I wanted to ask Ella just about a million clarifying questions, but I knew that was the wrong approach. Instead, we walked in uncomfortable silence. Even Frannie was clearly impacted by the storm clouds hanging over us, looking between our grim expressions with concern. Finally, I suggested we try one of the rides, but in response, Ella suddenly burst into tears.

Leyanna hugged her friend and shot me a conciliatory look. “I think I’d better take Ella to get some air, maybe you and Frannie can enjoy the rides for now. We’ll meet back up with you two later okay? I know there are some fireworks by the riverside at around eight o’clock. I’ll come find you there.”

With those instructions, we were left alone.

Frannie pouted, her lower lip curled outwards. I ruffled her head under her hat and she perked up after a little while, mewling happily as my fingers slowly found her favorite spot.

“I guess I still have so much to learn about this world,” I mused aloud. “And about Ella and Leyanna. There’s more to life here than monsters, mines, and farming. In fact, those things seem a heck of a lot easier than this.”

Frannie nodded vigorously, though I couldn’t tell if she was agreeing with my statements or just enjoying the scritches a little too much and wanting more.

“Come on Frannie, let’s do this Ferris wheel. That oughta get both of us out of our funk.”

Unfortunately for me, the Ferris wheel cost money. And so did just about every other ride or game in the park. I was losing hope when it hit me. The nugget! I had brought the strange item I had found in the mines for this exact purpose. Maybe that fiasco of an adventure might actually save the evening. I took it out of my inventory and held it in my hands.

It didn’t look impressive. It was just a big brown sphere. I rapped my knuckles against it and I heard a hollow clank in response. Frannie tried to bat it out of my hands and I nearly dropped it, having to hold it above my head. She narrowed her eyes and barred her teeth at me. I could tell she wanted to play, but this was not the time or space.

“I gotta sell this, Frannie. I’ll make sure we get you something else once we have some money, okay?”

She tilted her head and folded her arms.

“I promise, come on!”

***

The bald gnome blacksmith squatted over the Nugget. He had set into a strange metal contraption. Over his eyes he had two different-sized lenses and in his hand a small hammer he was using to tap the object.

“Yes sir, she’s holding something alright. I can break it open if you’d like. For a fee…” he said, grinning up at me.

I had no choice. I forked over what little gold I had left. The gnome took it all and set to work.

Both Frannie and I watched in fascination as he took out a small chisel and carefully poked and hammered his way across the surface. Hairline cracks appeared, then bigger ones, and eventually, the whole thing fell apart like an eggshell, crumbling away and revealing the item contained within.

Frannie gasped and my eyes widened as well. The dwarf whistled as he handed it over. “Well now, aren’t you a lucky fella…”

[ You have received 1 Lightning Crystal ]

I took the item and held it in my hands. The overhead lights of the gnome’s smithy reflected in each of its many jagged edges. It was beautiful. I was tempted, immediately to pocket it, but I saw the greedy expression on the gnome’s face.

He wants this. Badly. And I need gold, this might work out perfectly.

“How about this…” I said leaning on the counter and setting the item down carefully. My face changed. It became a mask.

Negotiations, that I could do.

I slipped back into lawyer mode and began talking brass tacks.

***

Shortly after, we walked out onto the street. I kept my cool until the door closed behind Frannie and I double-checked just to be sure:

[ Gold Remaining: 500 ]

I cheered. And Frannie jumped up and down with me, picking up on my excitement. I smiled at her. “We did it! We finally had a stroke of luck today, and now… guess what… it’s time to get you something fun and then both of us something to eat!”

We stopped by a cart filled with all sorts of curios and Frannie got lost for a long time, finally picking out a silver necklace. I had expected her to pick a toy of some kind, but sometimes I forgot that she was also a lady and liked things like jewelry and dresses just as much as toys and trinkets. She twirled for me after I put it gently around her neck, smiling.

She looked beautiful.

“Wow Frannie…”

The old lady behind the counter coughed. “Thirty gold please.”

“Oh right, sure.” I handed over the gold

[ Gold Remaining: 470 ]

It stung a bit, but seeing Frannie so happy melted my heart. Some things were worth it. And my next expense would be too. “Noodles, Frannie!” I pointed at the cart across the street. We both looked at each other and made a break for it.

[ Gold Remaining: 460 ]

Five gold a bowl seemed reasonable, especially since they were generous portions and smelled absolutely amazing. We took our bowls down to the riverside where Leyanna had said the fireworks would take place.

I thought of Elrick as Frannie slurped noodles beside me. He was something that I was not. Rich, well-off, connected. In this world, I was nothing still. Even the small score I’d made today on the crystal would likely be nothing to people like him.

I had to face it, I was a beginner. And yet, this motivated me even more. I wanted to be someone. I wouldn't let him push me and my girls around!

Just you wait, Elrick. I’m only getting started.

Frannie nudged me. I saw her bowl was empty and she was staring at mine hungrily. I chuckled and gave her half of my noodles, carefully transporting the precious cargo from one steaming bowl to the other. When I was finished Frannie looked at her now half-full bowl and then mine again then back and forth.

“More? Jeese, not all of them! I need to eat too you know!”

Frannie pouted for a moment then went back to slurping. We swung our legs back and forth along the ledge where we sat. We were overlooking the river and it was quite pretty even without the fireworks. On the other side, lanterns were strung between light posts and I could see several fairground attendants setting up what I’m sure was the fireworks display.

Couples like us dotted the sides of the riverbank, sitting in the semi-dark, kissing and cuddling, spaced equally distant. Each wanted their own measure of privacy. It would have been romantic were it not for the ravenous sounds Frannie was making beside me, clattering her bowl loudly and moaning happily.

When we finished our food, however, the mood did shift. Frannie leaned into me and I wrapped an arm around her side instinctively. She meowed and looked up at me with her big shining eyes. Her gaze was intense. I pet her hair.

“You are worried about me huh?” I asked.

She nodded.

I sighed. It seemed just about everyone was worried about me. It was hard enough doing right by myself, but doing right by three women? In a fantasy land? It sure wasn’t easy. But for some reason, I had confidence, that with time and effort enough, I could get through all of this. I’d solve my money problems. And I’d figure out how to deal with Elrick.

And how to get along with everyone at the same time. I hope.

I had an idea of how to calm us both down and clear our heads. I searched the riverbank on either side of me for a moment before I found what I was looking for. I held it and showed it to Frannie. It was a long flat stone. She seemed thoroughly unimpressed.

“Just wait!” I said and stood up, lowering my center of gravity. It had been a long while since I’d done this. “It’s all in the wrist…” I said, giving her a wink, then threw the stone out across the dark waters. I was rewarded with, one, two, and then three skips across the river until it sunk down into the bottom.

Not bad!

Frannie watched happily and clapped. I tried to show her how to do it afterward but all she succeeded in doing was creating bigger and bigger splashes. I felt a lot better and Frannie seemed to as well, we both leaned back watching the moon’s reflection on the water.

“You know Frannie, it’s just complicated,” I began, voicing my thoughts as clearly and rationally as I could. “Ella is free to do what she wants, obviously. But… it seems Elrick has a hold on her despite how much she despises him. That isn’t right. And Leyanna and I.  Well, we… kissed,” I admitted, “And I think it’s been awkward ever since.”

Frannie interrupted me with an angry meow and I saw her tail whip back and forth, freeing itself from her shirt, she folded her arms underneath her chest.

Oh wow, this I did not anticipate. Jealousy.

“Well, you don’t need to be too jealous, Frannie. Honestly. Because Leyanna seems to be pissed off at me more frequently than she’s into me at the moment,” I said with a chuckle.

I felt a tugging at my shirt. Frannie touched my chest then her own.

“I have you, is that what you mean?” I asked.

She nodded and meowed, jutting her chin out proudly.

I laughed at her over-the-top behavior and she grinned.

“Thank you, Frannie. You are the best,” I said.

Boom! Bang! Boom!

Frannie jumped up, her eyes shining, fingers extending into claws. I had to react quickly. I threw my jacket around her and rubbed her shoulders, hiding her morphed appearance.

“Don’t worry! It’s just the fireworks!”

I turned her head to show her. She calmed down when she realized it was just lights but she still shook a little with each boom, gasping at each subsequent one. Slowly she became accustomed to the noises and even started to enjoy each pretty shower of light. Still, she clung to my arm tightly. She looked into my eyes once more. I had not noticed that her eyes had little golden flecks in them, or that her lips were so full.

Frannie’s eyelids fluttered and closed, she stretched upwards and I leaned down. I felt time slow and my heartbeat speed up. The moment was right… even if I knew I shouldn’t…

A familiar voice interrupted us from behind: “Such a gentleman, you gave her your coat and everything?”

Of course. Leyanna. Impeccable timing as always.

4