Chapter XI
373 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“I guess you’re the man she was talking about.”

Standing behind Lake was a girl with a childish face. Despite wearing an army uniform, the girl looked as if she was still in her late teens. There was an unusually long sheath attached to her hip, clacking as she moved. Behind her was a small team of medics.

Lake got up and moved to the side. The medics appeared uncomfortable near the boy, but the young soldier girl didn’t seem phased.

The medics examined Nora.

“Looks like she’s got a lot of cuts on her arms and abdomen. The vein on her wrist has been slit, so we’re going to need to clean that up first.”

As the medics began taking care of Nia’s sister, the uniformed girl looked at Lake.

“I heard there was an attack from a Lieutenant. Tell me, how are you still alive?”

“What do you mean.”

“You’re a man. I don’t see any weapons on the girl. So what happened to the Lieutenant.”

“I guess I just killed her.”

She didn’t appear convinced.

“That’s not possible. How could you have killed a Lieutenant, especially if they surprise-attacked you.”

“Well, I’ve got a sword.”

The girl reached over for Lake’s [Fallen Knight’s Rapier].

“Before you grab it, can you at least tell me your name?”

The girl was taken aback.

“You’re very demanding for a man. Who let you talk to me like that?”

“I just want to know.”

“Mia Hurtig, Internal Conflict Force, Second-in-command.”

With that, she grabbed the [Fallen Knight’s Rapier] out of Lake’s sheath. Sliding out, she held it up to her face and examined it.

“You’re pretty young to be second-in-command.”

“It’s given by merit. Now shut your mouth, boy.”

It was awkward for such a young girl to be talking down to Lake, but such was the nature of this world.

Looking at every detail of the [Fallen Knight’s Rapier], Mia seemed to be confused by its design. After all, the sword appeared to be decaying, much past its prime. It wouldn’t make sense for anyone to be using such a weapon.

“What is this. Did you grab it out of the dump?”

“That’s just what I’ve always had.”

She raised it a little and slid her finger down its edge. A little bit of blood was drawn from the tip of her index finger.

“It’s pretty sharp despite its looks. Where did you get this?”

“It’s hard to say. I’ve just always had it.”

“Don’t give me that shit. Did you steal it from someone?”

Mia was unimpressed, staring at Lake.

“It’s the truth.”

“Bullshit. You boys don’t get to play with weapons like these.”

“I don’t know what to tell you.”

Mia sighed.

“I’m taking this. You don’t get to have such a weapon.”

“Wait.”

Suddenly, a deep, black ooze began to drip down from the blade of the sword. It emanated a thick, smokey gas as it leaked down to the handle. Upon touching Mia’s hand, there was a sudden sizzling sound before a sharp pain ran through her body.

The rapier fell to the ground, clanging.

“What the fuck. What’s this black stuff…”

“I don’t know.”

Lake leaned down to grab it off the ground, but Mia quickly drew her [Saint’s Broadsword] and pointed it at him.

“Don’t even think about it.”

There was an intimidating aura. It felt different to that of Seia’s or Nia’s or any other person that Lake had met. It was a crushing feeling, as if his heart was struggling to pump blood through the body.

He looked up at her.

“What do you want me to do.”

She thought for a little while before lowering her sword.

“I’m going to keep you under my supervision at the detention centre before Captain Nia comes back.”

“Detention centre?”

“Yes. I am not allowing you to stay unaccompanied.”

He sighed.

“I guess there’s nothing else I can do.”

“I’m glad you understand.”

Looking at the scene, Mia felt as if Nora’s condition was still somewhat concerning. She gestured for the medics to stay put as she began to make her way toward the now-destroyed front door. Rain was still splashing into the mansion but it was weaker than before.

“Come with me.”

“What about my sword.”

Mia stopped and looked over at the [Fallen Knight’s Rapier]. She was unable to hold it earlier due to the black ooze.

“I’ll allow you to hold it for now, just so I can investigate it later. If I see you trying anything with it, I will kill you instantly.”

Her words held an unimaginable weight, as her presence drew fear from the surroundings.

“Alright.”

Lake began following behind, as Mia trudged through the rain.

“How far is this place.”

“Just shut your mouth and follow.”

...

─────────────────

“Enter through the gates. I’m sure you’ll fit in with the rest of the animals.”

With that, Mia went a separate direction and pushed Lake through several sensors. Eventually, after walking forward a little, he was met with the view of hundreds of men, all meandering the inside of what could only be explained as prison complex. Made completely of cement, there were countless rooms closed off with bars.

It was exactly like a prison.

As he walked inside, completely drenched with water, some other men looked over with suspicion. Aside from all the men, there were several women in uniform, keeping guard over the entire place.

Eventually, the other men simply ignored his presence.

On of the guards approached him.

“You’re in cell 91. Go dry your shit.”

Looking at the cell numbers, Lake began making his way up the open stairs. Nudging past the other men, he received unpleasant glances from multiple angles.

Eventually, he made his way inside. There was an empty bunk that seemed to have been used to store random items from his cellmates. There was leftover food, clothing and garbage strewn across the covers.

As he cleaned away some of the items, a guard walked into the cell.

“Here’s your stuff, you filth.”

7