Chapter XIII
307 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

What does it mean to be a child prodigy?

Is Mia Hurtig a child prodigy? Is Lake Ryeokja a child prodigy?

People certainly say so, but what does it really mean?

─────────────────

“What did you need from me.”

Being escorted to the other side of the complex by a guard, Lake Ryeokja was now in an empty, experimental-like room. Standing only a few metres away was Mia Hurtig, the Druryn Kingdom’s greatest prodigy.

“I want to see your sword.”

Slowly, she walked toward Lake.

“Do you want me to give it to you?”

She ran her fingers through her hair, looking off into the distance.

“No, it clearly has some sort of aura attached to it that’s stopping me from holding it.”

“So, what do you want me to do.”

Mia gestured for one of the guards to come over.

“You claim that you were able defeat the lieutenant. I want to see it in action.”

She whispered to the guard.

“Feel free to kill him.”

“Of course Commandant Mia.”

The guard drew her sword and raised it at Lake. Another guard closed the door to the empty room. As it shut, air was sucked in like a vacuum seal. Turning around, the other guard stood a little distance back to observe the scene.

“Alright, let’s see what happens.”

Lake drew his [Fallen Knight’s Rapier].

The guard quickly drew her sword and sprinted at him.

“Eastern Style, Commodus Variation: First Sword!”

It was a weak and obvious attack.

Clang.

Lake easily deflected the attack with his sword.

Clang. Clash. Smash.

The guard swung a few more times but the skill difference was clear.

Raising his [Fallen Knight’s Rapier], Lake aimed to kill the guard. However, as he stepped forward and swung the blade, the guard was suddenly pulled back by Mia.

With a light gust of wind, the blade barely missed the guard’s neck.

“I see now. You’re much stronger than the average man. I still have no idea how this can be the case. I guess I’ll label you an abnormal, then.”

Suddenly, the pressure in the room increased. To Lake, it was clear that aura was beginning to emanate from Mia’s body.

She stepped forward.

Lake raised his sword, but he was too slow.

Her leg slammed into his side.

Crashing into the nearby wall. A little waterfall of debris rained on his head. He was still holding onto his [Fallen Knight’s Rapier], but pain was travelling all throughout his body. Unlike all of his previous battles, this time, Lake stood no chance.

Planting his hands on the ground, he pulled himself up. Watching him, Mia simply walked forward.

“You’re decently tough. Did you take something from The Black Company?”

“The… what.”

“Ah, I guess you wouldn’t know about it.”

Lake regained balance on his feet, but Mia quickly grabbed him by the collar.

“—Oop.”

With a swing of her arm, she tried to punch his face. With only milliseconds to spare, Lake was barely able to block it with his wrist. There was a dense thump as their arms connected with each other.

Letting go, she then raised her leg once more.

Before he could even respond, Lake tumbled into the back wall.

Crash.

With all his strength, he continued to hold onto his sword. Mia once again began walking towards him, giving him some time to get back up.

“Come on. Swing at me.”

“You know… I clearly can’t defeat you.”

“I know that.”

“So what are you trying to get from me.”

“I’m just curious.”

She gestured for him to swing at her.

Lake took a few steps forward. Mia was smiling a little as she watched him raise his sword.

Suddenly, she felt a pain on her ankle.

Falling forward, she quickly twisted her body to avoid Lake’s kick. However, it was just a feint. Looking up, she saw a dark, aura-filled blade falling upon her.

“Fallen Knight’s Style, Second Sword.”

In her sight, it looked as if a demon was about to swallow her from above.

Putting one hand on the ground, she drew her [Saint’s Broadsword] in an instant. For a moment, there was a look of desperation on her face, but that quickly changed.

“Eastern Style: Gros Variation - Ninth Sword.”

At the point of contact between their two blades, there was a large explosion, causing aura to dissipate off in all directions. The ground beneath them began to flake and dust was launched into the air.

Pulling herself up, Mia jumped back and raised her sword again.

The dust slowly settled and Lake was seen on the other side.

“That can’t be possible. Did you just use a sword form?”

Mia looked up in pure shock. The two guards quickly ran to her side.

“I guess I’ve just been able to for some reason.”

Mia turned to one of her guards.

“I need you to report this to Samantha immediately!”

“Yes, Commandant Mia.”

With that, the guard quickly rushed to the door and unlocked it. Letting out some air, it opened and she began to make her way through the halls. The other guard followed behind and closed the door behind them.

Lake, limping a little from the kick earlier, slowly walked toward Mia.

“So, what are we going to do now.”

“I want you to tell me. Where did you come from? How did you do that?”

“I’m telling you, I don’t really know. I just can.”

Mia looked around, scanning Lake’s body. For all she could see, he was a normal, unpleasant man like all the others. But the idea that a man could use a sword form caused some fear to stir in her mind.

“There’s no way. I don’t understand it. I’ve never seen that style before.”

“It’s unique to me, I guess.”

She hesitated for a moment.

“What do you go by.”

“My name is Lake.”

“That doesn’t ring a bell. I don’t understand any of this.”

“What now.”

“Shut it. You might be a bit stronger than the usual, but you’re still a man. Men are weak, filthy creatures. You talk when I ask you to.”

“Alright.”

6