Chapter 7: The First Breakfast
84 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I was glad that the terrors had kept it clean in the few days I had been gone.

They had always been far too well-behaved for their age. They had grown up far too fast.

They had been a constant worry in the back of my mind, but seeing them sleeping together peacefully. It made a lot of the stress melt away.

Frank and Olivia had to sleep in my room, leaving me only one place to stay.

They had wanted me to be in their sights at all times, but after seeing the house layout and knowing there would only be a way to leave if I passed where they were. They relented.

It had been hard enough walking home with them looming over my shoulder.

I was far more comfortable squeezing in with the little ones.

They complained slightly in their sleep as I lay beside them but didn't wake.

With familiar smells and sounds, drifting off to sleep was far easier than I had expected.

I half expected to be consumed with thoughts the entire night and worried about everything that was to come.

But the second my head touched the pillow, I fell fast asleep.

***

I woke with two small heads crowded above my face.

I tried my best to roll back to sleep. But as soon as they saw I was awake, they began lightly shaking me.

"I know you are awake, brother. You have to tell us everything."

At the very least, Karius had the decency to ask how I was.

Kaya was far too busy looking over my new gauntlet.

I was still far from mastering its smaller form. I had done my best not to wake my siblings with it moving around.

While it felt like nothing to me, it was still pure manasteel and would be more than enough to hurt some kids.

"I don't recognise any runes; what type did you get?"

That was the question I was worried about. That had been the thing they had made the most clear the day before.

No one was to know of the identity of the new types before the start of the Academy.

We would never be as vulnerable as we were for the next few days.

After the first year, we should be a force in our own right.

Not telling the truth to them felt even worse.

I decided to throw the issue down the line.

For one, they knew my binding had not been simple. There was little reason to keep anyone overnight after the binding ceremony.

"I can't tell you guys yet. I'll be able to tell you once I enter the Academy."

Neither of them looked happy with that. Kaya especially began to use her puppy dog eyes to try and get me to tell her.

I would usually fall for that, but it was too important this time.

I was sure my new minders could hear every word being said in this room.

I wanted to avoid getting on their bad side this early into the week.

I would try and find an opportunity to tell my siblings beforehand, but I didn't think it would be easy.

They didn't stop bugging me as I went down to go and make breakfast for us all.

I found Frank and Olivia all ready downstairs, with an impressive meal already made.

Kaya and Karius stood with me, gaping at the display.

I didn't think either had a meal of this size before.

They had pulled out all the stops.

Which immediately had me concerned.

Olivia was the first to notice us, a kind smile again adorning her face.

"Glad to see you kids are awake. We prepared breakfast."

That was an understatement for what they had done. It was also hard to miss the changes in the room.

For one, it was far cleaner than it had been days before. There were now fresh flowers and plants littered throughout the room.

It looked far nicer than I had ever seen it. After all, decoration had been the last thing on my mind for the last few years.

Kaya and Karius hid behind me, looking at the two with vigilance.

Frank remained stoic in the corner, but Olivia took on a look of concern.

"Kaya, Karius. Nice to meet you both. I don't know if your brother has explained. But we will be looking after you for the next few years. While he attends the Academy."

Both Kaya and Karius looked up at me, gauging my reaction. It took everything in my power to keep my face neutral.

While I had applied for aid to look after my siblings, I didn't think it would be the two battle-hardened warriors in front of me.

I had expected an old nanny or something of that sort.

I only nodded as I led my two siblings to take a seat.

The ramifications of them looking after my siblings clear in my mind.

The two shouted in joy as they dug into their meal. They were moaning and groaning as they enjoyed the various delicacies. I would never have been able to afford a meal like this for them before.

I found it hard to have an appetite.

Seeing them happy did at least bring a smile to my face. I was also amazed at how skilled Olivia was with the kids.

By the end of the meal, I almost felt they were closer to her than me.

Frank had remained mostly silent. He was diligently cleaning up after everyone.

It painted a lovely picture. One I couldn't appreciate.

It was only after the meal that Kaya began her questioning onslaught on the two.

"Why do you need to look after us? My brother told us he wouldn't live in the dorms."

Olivia smiled in turn.

"Unfortunately, the rules have changed a little this year. All first-years have to stay in the dorms. So the Academy hired us to look after you."

Kaya seemed to digest that for a few moments.

Karius stood staring at them both. He would listen to his sister no matter what else was happening.

He trusted her more than he did me.

I only remained silent. There was still a lot I didn't know. There had been so much information thrown out yesterday. That a lot had been forgotten.

"Are you married?"

That was not the next question I had expected her to ask. But I supposed it was a good one.

She had always been a little sensitive around older people. To see her coming out of her shell so quickly with Olivia was a surprise.

"Yes, my dear. Frank and I have been married for close to seven years now."

Kaya nodded sagely as if that answer had made all the difference.

"Do you have any kids?"

That question was the first time I saw a slight slip from Olivia, but it was gone in a flash.

I almost didn't believe it had happened.

"No, my dear, I am afraid not."

Olivia was quick to move on with the conversation afterwards. Asking the siblings to clean up and prepare for the day.

From now on, there would be considerable change to their daily life.

Olivia talked about the tutors they would have and the training they would undergo in the coming years.

Something that I had no idea would be part of the deal.

While I had been doing my best to teach them, it was far from the level of a professional.

It was good to see them so excited for what was to come.

I finally began to feel more optimistic about the situation.

No matter what happened to me in the Academy, my siblings would be well looked after. They would be able to grow up well.

The next few days passed peacefully. The changes were enough to distract my siblings from asking more questions about my situation.

Two days before I attended the Academy, they began to see flaws in what was happening.

Kaya had been focused on the new books the two had gotten for her. The library my parents had left here had been scarce, and we had long since read through every book.

Olivia had discovered her longing for books early on and had been more than willing to provide.

Close to a dozen books had already appeared in our small library, and I was sure many more would come.

It was Karius who brought it up first.

"Will we not be able to see you again?"

The question seemed to come out of nowhere.

There had been a lull in the conversation. Kaya had been all compliments for their new teacher. Who had been able to answer any question she had asked of him.

That was when Karius had asked the simple question.

One that I wasn't sure I had an answer for.

Fortunately, Olivia was quick to answer.

"Oh no, my dear, We will visit him every weekend. You will still be seeing plenty of your brother."

That was a relief for us all. It immediately calmed both my siblings.

But it was also a little concerning for me.

I had assumed that I could visit my siblings on the weekend. But the fact that they would be visiting meant something different.

It was clear that I would have no chance to leave the Campus over the next year at the very least.

As soon as I stepped into the Campus, I wouldn't leave the Academy for quite some time.

Even with the answer, the mood was subdued for the rest of the night.

My siblings shadowed me for the next two days as I prepared for the Academy.

It was rare that I had a moment without them.

It made my heart hurt to think about what was to come.

I couldn't help them grow up nearly as much as I should.

This would never have been a worry if I had been a standard Type.

While they wouldn't have great teachers and instructors, they would have me.

We didn't have much family as it was so leaving them behind hurt.

I did my best to put on a brave face for them all, but inside, I dreaded what was to come.

Olivia and Frank working with my siblings so well did help. But It couldn't escape my mind what they truly were.

I tried my best not to leave the house. Other than talking with my neighbours, I hadn't gone further than the end of my street.

One thing was clear. The news of the new types had yet to spread.

It made some sense to me; after all, I was the last of the new types to be bound with Soul Armor. I had gotten that much confirmed to me. There was little chance of the others leaking the news to the general public. I was the only unknown element in the entire thing. It made me wonder why I had been chosen.

Despite my best efforts, time continued to pass.

Soon, the day arrived for me to report to the Academy.

My minders made sure I was aware of that fact.

They did have the decency to allow Kaya and Karius to follow along, making them very happy.

They were all cheered as we approached the Academy. They were amazed at what they were seeing.

I was glad to see them so happy. Wondering how many more moments like that I would get.

By the time I would be out, they would be more mature. No longer having the few bits of childlike wonder left.

I would miss them so much.

Despite my mournful mood, the Academy appeared to us in all its glory.

While the Academies tower was visible from the entire city, the rest of the Academy was far closer to the ground.

That didn't make it any less grand.

The Soul Arch. A giant stone Arch etched with images of countless battles and heroes of humanity. It was the boundary between the Academy and the outside world.

My siblings passed under it without any worries. In awe at the artistry.

I paused in front of it for a few moments. Countless thoughts ran through my head.

Frank gave me a few moments before pushing me forward under the arch and into my new life.

7