019
0 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As I sat on the stone floor next to the corpse of the beast we had just slain Tee began playing a short healing song. The magic from the music knitted Duncan's ribs back together and returned a few internal organs to their proper place. Despite his heroic actions in killing the monster, Duncan was far more injured than he had let on. I noticed Rose was standing next to me, staring at the body of the monster; she appeared to be deep in thought.

“Are you ok?” I asked.

“I don’t know. You heard that thing right before it died. It knew who I was. It said my name.” Rose said.

“Yeah, I heard it. I have no idea how it knew who you were, but it definitely said your name.”

Tee ended his song and put his flute away as the last of Duncan’s wounds healed. Duncan sat down next to me and closed his eyes. Tees healing magic was good at making sure your insides stayed on the inside, and you didn’t bleed to death, but the pain from injuries would still be felt for hours after. Duncan pinched the brow of his nose between two fingers. I didn’t know if this was a reaction caused by pain or deep thought, and I was too tired to ask.

It was barely five minutes after I sat that Rose was up and looking around the room. I wasn’t sure what she was looking for, but she seemed to be examining everything she could find. I could only assume that her search had something to do with that thing calling out her name. If some crazed shark giant monster had said my name on its deathbed, I would be looking for answers, too.

“Brodie, come here and look at this!” Rose shouted as she rummaged through a large desk nestled in the back of the room.

I grunted as I stood up. I was hoping for more than a few minutes of rest, but whatever she had found, it must have been important. As I made my way across the room, I had my first chance to get a proper look at where we were without something trying to kill me. Aside from the giant vats of green goo lining the wall, there were a variety of desks and chairs. One particular chair had shackles for legs and hands attached to it by chains. That was when the realization of what this room was came over me. We were standing in the middle of a laboratory.

“What is it, Rose? Did you find something to tell us what that thing was?” I said.

“Not what, but rather who,” Rose replied.

My confused and horrified expression was more than enough of a response to Rose’s statement, and she continued.

“His name was Gary. He’s one of the Shatar that went missing.” She said.

“How do you know?” I asked.

Rose handed me a piece of paper that she had torn from a notebook sitting on the desk in front of her.

“Look.” She said, choking back tears.

I skimmed the paper; it contained a collection of notes about experiments that had been performed in this lab. The description of the thing Gary had become matched perfectly with what we had slain moments earlier. From what I was able to gather from the paper, whoever this lab belonged to was attempting to make organic machines of war.

“They were kidnapping my people and turning them into mindless monsters! And I know exactly who is behind this.” Rose said.

“Aqua Marine,” I said.

Duncan had made his way over to my side, curious as to what all the commotion was about. I didn’t say anything to him and just handed the torn paper I held over to him. I watched his eyes widen as he read through the notes.

“I’m so sorry, Rose,” Duncan said.

Tee kept to himself on the opposite side of the room, but I had no doubt he understood what was going on. Even though he never said much, I had a feeling Tee knew a whole lot more about a whole lot of things than he let on. Duncan and I stood by Rose’s side as the tears flowed freely down her cheeks. I patted her shoulder with one hand, which marked the second most awkward hug I had ever given in my life.

“I’ll kill that bitch if it’s the last thing I do,” Rose said as she wiped the tears away from her face.

“First, I think we need to get out of here,” I said.

“And get you back to your father so we can get those plans,” Duncan added.

“What plans?” Rose asked.

Duncan hesitated for a moment before he spoke. “The plans for the temple of Yoganoth. We know that your father had his builders construct the temple years ago. We plan to infiltrate the temple and kill Chud. With Chud gone, Aqua’s power will be greatly weakened, and then we may have a chance at defeating her.”

“I’m coming with,” Rose said.

“No, no, no, we are supposed to bring you back to your father, that’s it,” I said.

“Well, hold on now, Brodie. Rose has proven herself to be a powerful warrior, and if we are actually going through with this crazy plan of taking down Aqua Marine, we are going to need all the help we can get.” Tee said I hadn’t even noticed he had flown over to join the conversation.

“I want that bitch dead for what she has done. For years, my father has done her bidding, and this is how she repays him? By experimenting on our people and turning them into mindless monsters?” Rose said.

“Are you sure your father will even let you come with us?” I asked.

I regretted the question the second the words passed by my lips. Rose glared at me; if looks could kill, I would have been dead three times over. Out of the corner of my eyes, I saw both Duncan and Tee step back from me. They knew I fucked up before I did.

“Let me!? Do you think I need permission from my father? I'm not some little kid. Besides, my father has done nothing but be complacent all these years, and look what good it's done him. His own people are being kidnapped by the very people he has helped, and yet he does nothing about it. I don’t need anyone’s permission to do anything. We will return to the tribe so I can show my father that I am alive and well and you can get the plans you need. Then we will make our way to the temple and kill that bastard Chud and stop Aqua Marine once and for all. If my father doesn’t like that, then that will be his problem.” Rose said.

By the time Rose was done yelling at me, her nose was practically touching mine.

“Ok.” I stammered.

“First, we need to get out of this dreaded place,” Tee said.

We gathered up the rest of the notes that were scattered about on the desks in the lab and packed them away. As we headed back towards the remains of the door we had entered from Rose lit a torch. I was relieved I wouldn’t have to provide the light for the return trip. The dancing flames of the torch reflected off the Zoombeans that Tee had dropped on our way into the tunnels.

I wasn’t sure what awaited us once we returned to the village, but I was starting to feel like maybe we would have a chance against Aqua Marine, at least, I hoped we would. Secretly, I was worried that when the time came, my magic would be nothing compared to hers, but I trusted Duncan, and so far, he hadn’t led me astray.

0