4: Big Bad Wolf and Little Naive Cub; Tempting Fate; Courting Death
374 4 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Why are we going there?", Xia Xiaochan asks.

"Surely, its the seconds safest place apart from the Xia Clan. Have you heard that the head of the Red Sky Brothel is said to be a Golden Core existence?", I explain.

"Yes, but can this expert be trusted?", Huh? She doesn't know?

"If you haven't seen it then you need to work on your political thinking Xiaochan~", Why do I feel playful? Wistfully so.

"...I don't seem to get what you mean. Tell me.", The Xia miss' eyebrows scrunched.

"I think I've got your character down Xiaochan~, Do you try to act separately from your clan~?"

"Yes, but I don't see why this is related to my question.", Ohoho~, is this some hidden side that I haven't known about? I feel like I wanna lead her on till she snaps.

"Personal strength is not the only power, there is power in intellect and a different world called politics. It's known that the Shan, Ping, Xia clans are in peace over Sky Fall City but if you ask around with the people of the city. Some feel restless as the 3 clans seems to be in a bit of an aggressive situation in economic business. By the way what is your opinion on clan influence?", I explained what I gleaned and gave her a test into her sense of politics.

"So you mean that the Shan and Ping clans are suspicious? But still, Red Sky Brothel isn't?", She still looked confused and looked at me. But I gave her a questioning gaze.

"...I think clan influence is something undeserved and I don't want to be involved with clan matters, the politics are all about schemes and cowardly acts."

"A biased thought. I got rumors from a merchant, he squeezed out a spiritual stone and a half because he caught on to me, anyway, sources say that the Xia clan's power is declining, if it were only that then politics would disallow the Shan and Ping clans from taking actions against the Xia clan...why is that?", Damn experienced merchants.

"Of course, it would be bad to mess with our clan-"

"Exactly, even if your clan were to decline significantly, the Shan and Ping clans wouldn't think about targeting your clans for that reason."

"We're called the strongest clan out of the three.", Well at least she isn't THAT out of the loop. She doesn't even realize how much her actual worth is. A pity, a real shame.

"Then what do you think?", I ask for her opinion so far.

"It's not the Shan and Ping clans?"

"That's the mentality that they want you to think. Now who do you think the Shan and Ping clans want to pin the blame on?"

"Wait, why are you so sure its the Shang and Ping clans?"

"...we just had a close encounter with a Golden Core, think naive cub, an expert like that is specifically targeting someone from the Xia Clan?"

"It's not an outside clan?"

"Unlikely, it's more or less the same likelihood as the manager of Red Sky Brothel being the culprit..."

"Why is that?"

"This is merely the difference of someone who concentrating on fighting techniques rather than dealing in economics. For you, naive cub, you wouldn't guess it unless you start learning.", I motion for her to come follow. I'm not standing here for that long ass conversation, show don't tell they say.

I encounter the young woman again, she was begging by the street near the brothel... I approach her, "P-please...money...I beg you...I'm hungry...", she says but this time I definitely noticed the verbatim.

"Have you eaten anything?"

"No one gave me any money Sir.", Buuuuullshit. Here have some money.

I make my way through the entrance of the brothel, Xia Xiaochan looks a bit nervous by the atmosphere and had a light blush over her face, how cute~

"If you want to learn, then learn from your environment. Little cub, open your ears and here the gossip around and tell me what you think.", Of course, gossip is circumstantial but I'm willing to think that people here will spout anything in such atmosphere. I, on the other hand, look at a girl at a stage, she seems to be wearing a blindfold. I recognize her after comparing descriptions but I became confused, Why is Lady Shengai wearing a blindfold?

Huh? Is she staring at my direction? No way, I stare at her for a moment and she perceived my gaze? Ugh, I have to act natural again, time and time again are unexpected things happening... but I can't say they haven't turned out for the better. It just depends on how I deal with them.

"...What if I said that we are fated together?...", I. Would. Believe. Every. Word. I mean, if we're not then I have to just 'Steal' your heart someday... that still depends if I can achieve the Error Pathway...Oh no, I was immediately charmed!

"A confession right off the bat, I'll take it. Though...what's with your blindfold?", There was no description of her wearing a blindfold, perhaps she specifically wore it because...

"I'm sorry, I cannot look at you for some reason.", damn am I that ugly? I'm sure I have at least a poet's air to mineself, on second thought, I might not due to the fact that my hair is messier and I look more like a mysterious bandit type.

"...hm, I think I get it. Can I speak with owner of Red Sky?", I ask her. She mentioned 'fate', she blindfolded her eyes, she definitely has something about her, fate and eye related perhaps, like a Monster...If its like that then there is a good chance people can't divine some things about me unless they want to suffer...

"Yes.", Easier than expected, and I earned a waifu? What the hell is going on at this rate...

"...How did you do that?"

"I'm more capable than you think little cub. Say, what is the reason why other clans from other countries won't put their hands on the Xia clan?", I turn to Xiaochan.

"Is it because Sky Fall City is in decline?"

"Exactly. Who wants to take a falling business from someone unless they can turn it around. In the first place, the Shan, Ping, and Xia were having economy struggles rather than power struggles. The Xia clan's decline in power only serves as fuel for their actual motivation, to save their businesses by swallowing another big competitor. I'm honestly surprised you weren't aware of these things.", The frustrations must have built in the people, 

"So that why..."

"Oh, not only that, according to politics, that you avoid, Other clans can't absorb other clan's businesses unless there are is a crime committed directly between the two clans. Anything else, either the clan losing their businesses or clan eradication, the businesses will fall under the jurisdiction of the city to assign."

"Truly?", Ah, she thinks its some dog eat dog world where people get to eat what they kill, no that is not how it works in society.

"Trust me, you have to read books more often about these things. I'm worried you'll actually be tricked, naive cub."

"Please, this one isn't pleased being addressed cub.", But she looks like one, I mean no offense on being flat but your light brown hair really looks fluffy and the style of your two pony tales look like dog flaps, it's cute!

"Apologies, think of it as me going mad from my technique.", hm, hm, I shouldn't indulge in this, I might actually stop playing and take a bite out of her. And I'm not sure whether metaphorically or literally. To think this kind of losing control is possible, its subtle but effectively dangerous, it isn't extreme but if I let down my guard the madness would change my personality, lopsided. Or maybe I'm just horny, which is worse.

"That's worrying."

"Indeed, don't pry into my secrets. You won't like it.", I'm sure she trusts me. If she values her independency more than than a collective clan, she would be open to the idea of receiving the help of a demonic cultivator since; 1, I saved her, 2, I revealed my 'hand', 3, I am now assisting her... any other suspicious thoughts would be pushed back. Introspectively, I might also have the same mentality from time to time...accepting the whims of fate with the excuse of heaven's will.

"Mr. Wolf", fuck it, Shengai, my love, I haven't even introduced myself...

"Thank you Shengai.", I smile at her, I'm not sure if she saw it but I'd like to hope. Oh wow, she has a beautiful smile, wait, she's supposed to be entranced with mine, it backfired, retreat.

"Good evening Ms. Dahlia, I am Mr. Wolf, may we discuss something over tea?"

"Good evening Mr. Wolf. I'm wondering what you want to discuss with me

"It's not something fit to say here Ms. Dahlia."

Ms. Dahlia nods and brings us up to the top floor. Hm, So far, Ms. Dahlia has the most seductive appearance so far with her long chestnut hair cascading over her revealing dress and a thin Chinese smoke pipe popping out of her pale green veil let down all over hear face... to think that color scheme is, damn.

On the other hand, Shengai is like a pure flower, like a saint, its reasonable since she has silver and gold hair, the mixture of colors is perfectly melded together, wearing a Tangzhuang that had sleeves that covered even here hands, there were character of luck and longevity strewn about her clothing. I haven't even met her eyes but my heart would skip several beats, not like it hasn't already.

When was my romantic interests ignited again? I honestly don't feel inclined in a sexual way but I just love romance a bit too much, I'm a romantic, a hopeless romantic of the sort...

I feel brought back to the statement that Ruiyu Ai confessed, it was something I couldn't describe. Why did she have a dream to be a cultivator? What did her family mean to her? What made her resolve so strong? I may have thought lightly of her but when her conviction could move mountains, I meant that it had moved me greatly, it made me think back to my original ideas as a mortal... I want to sigh but I have no breath.

Ok but seriously, can't a reincarnate isekai to find romance? I clearly and visibly remember that at the time of my death... I hoped to meet someone.

"Bad Wolf?", Oh? She thinks she can best me the Dao of Nicknames?

"What is it?", I am a sensible person, there's no way I'm going react against it.

"Is it because Ms. Dahlia is female? The reason you trust her?", Oh, so she's asking that.

"Reasonable conjecture, but one cannot prove that Ms. Dahlia is the only Golden Core here. I have my basis... listen on in the negotiations and ask me if you're confused."

"This Sun Sun Tea is a specialty in the Yellow Flame Province, I hope you'll like it. Also, this room is sound proof so you can state your business.", In the room were me, Xia Xiaochan, and Ms. Dahlia. Shengai went back to perform in the brothel.

"The Shan and Ping clans hired the a foreign force to kidnap the Lady Xia, they want to pin the blame on you Ms. Dahlia.", Ms. Dahlia pauses and raises her brow.

Indeed, it would be hard to pin the blame on Ms. Dahlia unless there is actual evidence, but hey, wouldn't connections to that so called 'foreign force' be enough?

"They hired the new bandit group. The one which you're trying get a hold of at this very moment.", I smile.

"What do you mean? I don't have any connection to those bandits.", This time Ms. Dahlia glares at me.

"Of course you don't, not yet.", I smile fiendishly. I saw through her ploy long before but every evening, it feels like my brain clicks things together.

"I see..."

"...Bad Wolf, what do you mean by that?", Xia Xiaochan who sat on a chair beside me asks.

"The Shan, Ping, and Xia clans are at peace and alliance while the Red Sky Brothel is more like a private company, an outsider to the alliance that has stayed neutral, not coming under the banner of any of the three clans.

In a situation of economic struggle, why is it that the three clans haven't fought against the Red Sky Brothel? Ms. Dahlia deals with an entirely different side of business such as brothel and and things with the black market."

"I understand the brothel but why also the black market?"

"Connections, little cub, try to get as much of them as you can.", as for me, it was deductions and prodding. The way that Da Tu described and praised Ms. Dahlia, The way the innkeeper is ignorant of who heads over the Red Sky Brothel, and how the wine keeper shows some type of fear over her. If you are owner of establishment that has gossip going around, the owners would most likely know a thing or two based on what side of business they are in and what kind of people they deal with. And a Golden Core can't be supplied with just one business.

"...", Xia Xiaochan went silent.

Well she doesn't know that I know something that Ms. Dahlia knows, Ms. Dahlia has most likely found out that I know what she knows. Brain twister.

"They kidnapped Xia Xiaochan to wait till you took over that new group. Even if they fail, the bandits are going to take the blame.

"Do you have any proof that the kidnapping actually happened?"

"The golden core expert we escaped from has the power to disintegrate. Also, here is the location of their transaction. If you want to check for the residual qi in the air then I can wait here.", Ms. Dahlia nods then suddenly an arm of bones tore through her shadows. She then manifested a bloody skull and placed it on the hand, the hand took the skull and sank back in the darkness.

After a while of silence, "What do you want me to do?", hook, line and sinker.

"Do what you're already doing. You can secretly send to the Xia clan's head to personally come pick up his daughter. With this, both sides will come to an understanding, as things proceed, soon war will start but the Shan and Ping clans won't be aware of this alliance. Both sides can also try to confirm if the Shan and Ping clans are in league with each other, but we both know that they wouldn't go forward with this scheme without having 2 Golden Core experts."

"I've sent someone.", Ms. Dahlia states. I take a drink out the tea. And place it down empty.

"Oh, and be sure to tell your beggar spy that I saw through her. There can't be any mishaps when lynching the new formed bandit group.", Ms. Dahlia smiles. Yeah, I knew that beggar girl was one the street for a reason, why else hasn't she come for the brothel business if such?

"Then the deal between the Xia clan and Ms. Dahlia has been made, being the intermediary, I congratulate you both. Little cub, isn't this nice?"

"...Thank you Mr. Wolf", Xia Xiaochan thanks me.

"Your welcome.", I give her a happy smile.

"On another matter, Mr. Wolf, you're strange, acting as the proxy of Ms. Xia.", Ms. Dahlia takes puff from her smoke.

"Take it as me being opportunistic. I saved her from being kidnapped. I'm also willing so settle any potential conflicts and make alliance, and I don't have"

"I can tell, What person would call the young Ms. Xia a little cub."

"The same person who caught Lady Shengai's fancy.", Ms. Dahlia chuckles but her eyes narrow secretively.

"I know. Shengai doesn't usually take notice of men..."

"You mean to say she's never had look at on any man that way until me?"

"It's strange isn't it?", She smiles strangely and looks off as if to reminisce 

"If Ms. Dahlia become my partner in business then I'm sure you'll get to know me more.", I narrow my eyes and smirk wolfishly.

"And what would that be?", She propped up on the back of the chair.

"I have a few inventions that you might be able to mass produce and sell. They are unique and could quickly become widespread. One is convenient and the other, well let's just say that its very dangerous.", Thank the Internet, Because of the improved memory of a cultivator, I was able to write down and remember certain things, I either hoped to be a cultivator or merchant but now... I can do both while pursuing to be a religious figure.

I said to cultivate diligently, why did you become God and rule the world? I could think that title is possible in some universe.

Well, it's time to introduce mass-produced gunpowder and eco-friendly bikes. The former can be sold illegally and earn the profits from 'those' kinds of mortals. The latter will be a long term research, I don

I'm also on the hunt for chocolate. I will never forgive the Xianxia world if they don't have any magical chocolate.

As I explained the details of the bikes. It was of a similar idea to the carriages but there is a need for pedals and more. Ms. Dahlia recognized the significance but when she heard my other 'explosive' idea.

She went silent, I could also feel a gaze staring at me from my back, it is probably Xia Xiaochan.

"That's dangerous."

"It's dangerous only in the wrong hands and as long as the distribution is controlled."

China normally would have discovered Gunpowder and Compasses but when Cultivators exists... it becomes different. I've been comparing Chinese history to what this world is right now and some inventions haven't been made due to the convenience of Cultivator.

I might also make an Opium business just to truly turn this world over...

"...Bad Wolf, what your talking about is going to make the mortals rebel against the immortals."

"You have the heart but not the brain naive cub. This is the chance for mortals to fight against beasts and demonic cultivators. The mortals can now be enlisted to fight beings with higher realms than themselves."

Xia Xiaochan thought about it and went silent.

"And you want to profit out of this?"

"Yes... but I want something else."

"What would you need?"

"Please give the credit to the Paragon of Creation, a good friend of my patron, the Midnight God of Misfortune."

"Who?"

"Ah Ms. Dahlia, may I please introduce to you my God, Midnight.", I give a wolfish grin.

It wasn't a good time to describe in detail about my religion in a business so I gave a summary for now. An ancient existence that has blessed certain individual to spread the faith, a few tales of extraordinary things.

"Hm... for there to be a Gods like that... its hard to believe. It's a pity that the existence hasn't awoken. Who did you say were trying to awaken him?"

"So far I've met that idiot Poet, and Sir Terror. Actually, Saint Sleepless is around the Yellow Flame Province", I should just make multiple identities immediately so that people can accept them later on.

"Idiot Poet?"

"He goes by Romantic Poet but I think he's just delusional.", talk about dissociation.

"Why?", Xia Xiaochan raises a brow.

"Hm, if its you little cub, you might find him horrible or fall for his 'charms' as he calls it...", Am I being narcissistic?

"Are they in other provinces?", Ms. Dahlia thought out loud curiously

"I'm not sure. While Saint Sleepless is over the Yellow Flame Province, both Sir Terror and that idiot wander around too much. If you hear legends of nightmare and circulating around the Sir Terror is probably responsible.", My vague descriptions will keep Midnight and the gods in constant fog of mystery.

"If that is all then I will visit another time, when you can bring in a trusted craftsmen.", 

"Hm, what about those blessed by the Paragon of Crea-", You've activated my trap card!

"DON'T, I mean- *ehem* don't try to have those maniacs build something for you...", As long as I reference a part of my personality and create a seperate identity, I can imagine myself as a passionate and crazy inventor, talk about the parallels between it and a crazy pirate adventurer...

"I-i see.", ha, Fooled. Praise the Fool!

"Usually those Blessed by the Gods or those Fated by Heaven are eccentric people, their circumstances and abilities too.", I say while looking at her straight in the eye.

"May I ask, why is the reason Shengai... no, it would be better if I ask her personally.", I cupped my chin. I stand up and prepare to leave. She nods in understanding. Ah, to talk to someone civilized, it's great.

"I will stay until Xia Xiaochan leaves, by then I'll have gone somewhere else, hm, maybe about a month I'll come back. I'll also leave the formula for gunpowder. The bicycle project is a work in progress. I'll tell you in a month about the good news.", By that time I'll have fully digested, or in game terms, maxed out my sequence, then I'll find out if I unlocked anything.

After being handed an inkbrush and paper I wrote down the secret recipe. I also said my goodbyes to Ms. Dahlia after there was nothing more to discuss, "Thank you once again, Mr. Wolf." "My pleasure doing business."

Xia Xiaochan followed me out. She seems deep in thought, more time for me to converse with the enigmatic Shengai.

"Do you have time to talk on the balcony?", I see Shengai performed at the same third floor we were in. When she got of the stage after playing a harp, she approached me.

"I was just about to ask the same thing."

Me and Shengai walk out on the open balcony, I could see the several lights coming from lanterns, candles and houses. The night sky was still there blanketing the earth below with an array of stars, hm, I could also see the moon, isn't it beautiful?

"Should I start? I wonder why Lady Shengai has taken interest in this lone wolf?", I start the conversation.

"As I've said, We're fated together.", She faces me with that blindfold on but it felt piercing, why do I always pick up on these weird atmospheres...ha~

"I mean, what is our fate or... what is the basis of it?", I scratch my messy  hair, "I'm sorry but even if I can accept the unexpected nature of this situation, I would still want to know what's going on around me.", I'm sure that I'm being entangled by fate, maybe its my fault for being too entangled but several 'plotlines' have been triggered for all I know, at least I knew that the kidnapping that happened would have only been stopped by me or some Fated Son of Heaven, not considering that I might be one too.

Either I'm stealing opportunities, have an opportunity myself, or I'm just my own character with an affinity to be stringed other people's destinies, I can't know for sure. That aside...

"I can see my destiny with these eyes. And if I choose to do so, likely becomes reality."

"Likely?"

"I can't force the impossible and its only fated if destiny is reversed. A few exceptions happen so far, for example, blurry visions.", True, the future is in the end, full of possibilities. If you see something that isn't too likely and you still decide on trying to have that future happen, one can only call it fate if it fails.

I dig deeper into my hair, why is it just now that I'm feeling this feeling... I look up to the night sky. It's a feeling of helplessness when something absolutely goes your way? It's the complete opposite feeling when everything goes wrong, since I left the sect, good things have been happening even if I was near close death...3 times was it?

It's a strange feeling for someone who always fucked up at least one thing. Although I can say I'm satisfied...it's strange... therefore I came up with a realization.

"So this was your doing? I'm not that insightful all the time, I can only say that I'm much more analytical and smart than most.", I look at her, Shengai, I smile at this conclusion.

"Yes, the events would surely come to pass in a month but I manifested it earlier...", So she she triggered plot lines or strings of fate to work earlier than they should. And she's just mortal? And the bigger question here,

"Wait a minute, you just wanted to meet me quicker?"

"I don't want that other girl to spend a month with you more than me.", hey hey hey, what was supposed to mean, are you going lock me up in your room next? Also I'm going to ignore that 'other girl' keyword that you said.

"I'm flattered, but if you say that... you're coming with me?", I could bring in these as disciples for the sect but what about Ms. Dahlia?

"Yes, I've already discussed with Ms. Dahlia about this."

"So she was expecting for me."

"She's as surprised as you. I'm sorry for coming up too abruptly.", Shengai bows her head towards me.

"No, no, this might just be better for us. Quick early development is best then a stable flow can happen thereafter."

"But can I ask about something, was there supposed to be another destiny of someone else other than me?", I inquired.

"Hm, yes, actually about a few days ago, everything abruptly changed. Originally, Lady Xia's brother was supposed to solve the crisis regarding Sky Fall City, ah, don't worry, he and I weren't fated. He is what you would call a siscon.", Although I didn't ask, thank you, but also, that makes me feel embarrassed. Though, I didn't show it on my face.

"Puhaha! Did I say that term in the future?"

"Yes, strange words, you always laugh at them, I've been having constant visions irregularly with no context. What does that mean?", She smiles innocently.

"I'll explain to you all about it. Puhaha!", I guess I'm taking her home tonight?

"Is it just Shengai?", I never got to hear her full name.

"Yes, Shengai is fine, I am an orphan."

"Then Shengai it is~."

Which route catches your fancy?
  • Ruiyu Ai, Dream Goals Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Ms. Dahlia, Partners in Crime Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Xia Xiaochan, Master and Disciple Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Shengai, Fated Lovers Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Deying Wan, Dao Couple Votes: 0 0.0%
  • How tf did he open 5 routes in a few days???? THAT BASTARD Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Virginity is Cool Votes: 6 25.0%
Total voters: 24
12