1. A New Debt to Collect
96 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Almost all my life, I’ve heard my parents complain about how things are difficult. How things do not seem to go their way. I can still feel the ringing in my ears as my dad tells me on how everyone must work hard to get what they want, even with a world where magic is making people’s lives comfortable, I find it hard to believe that people would still find it hard to earn and make a living and go into debt.

Even my parents resorted to such methods. Sure, it was understandable, but I hate the thought of owing something to anyone. It feels much better if people owe you something. Having that cuddly feeling of helping someone meshes well with the cries of desperate debtors as they pay their dues, in any possible.

“Isn’t it sad?” 

“What is, sir?” A gentle voice asks me from behind. “Is it about the collected payments?" 

“Of course not. It just feels sad that people have to go through sufferings.”

“I understand, sir, but your smiling face does not really translate to what you’re saying right now.”

“Is it?” I turn around and move towards the source of the voice and tap her shoulder. “It must be my father’s traits rubbing off me.” I smirk at her while patting her head.

“Yes, sir.” She answers meekly while moving away.

“I’m sorry if I made you uncomfortable.” I tell her. “What was your name again?”

“Andrea.” She answers, her head lowered down.

“Ah, yes. Andrea! I remember you now. The only daughter of a minor but distinguished house of spell casters. I remember your mom shouting at your dad as you were taken away as payment.”

As an up-and-coming creditor, I am compassionate for payments. Whether monetary, valuables or even their own precious daughters or sons, I can take as payment. There will be an assessment that needs to be done but I can be lenient. After all, the world is in turmoil. A lot of things happening with wars and conflicts, someone needs to be considerate!

“Yes...My family is forever grateful for your understanding.” Andrea responds, her head still lowered down.

“I promised your mother to take care of you, even if you belong to me now. Every bit of your everything is for me to make use of but if they manage to pay me back with the agreed interest then you can go and become the princess that you deserve.” I tell Andrea with a chuckle. 

My mother would probably be disappointed if she can see me talking to a girl like this, let alone a princess, despite a minor nobility. I wonder if I should tone it down? Fine. I am an up-and-coming creditor. I can’t afford to lose myself.

“Don’t worry though, Andrea. Even if you belong to me, you are a nobility in which you’ll be treated with respect. That’s why you’re here, doing admin work for me and not in serving some mercenary unit in the middle of nowhere and burning people. Your family is known pyrocasters, right?”

“I…appreciate your kindness, sir.” I can feel a slight quiver in Andrea’s voice. I can only imagine the horror that she would feel if she finds out that she's not even half of the payment that his family owes.  After a few seconds of silence, a question then pops into mind. 

"Has your parents been keeping in touch?" 

"Yes, sir. I appreciate you allowing me to contact my parents." Andrea answers, her head still bowed down. 

"Of course. And what do they say? I'm guessing they're checking if I'm feeding you well." 

"They're missing me every day. My brothers are confident that they'll be able to pool the money to buy me back." She answers, a slight tone of confidence in her tone. 

"Oh? That's a valiant effort by your brothers to buy you when I remember that your entire existence only covers the interest of the debt and not the principal that you owe me. If there's anyone to blame, it would be your ambitious father." I snap at the princess as she lowers her head down even more. 

"He regrets it, every day…sir." Andrea answers, hearing cracks in her voice.

"I hope he does not lose sleep over it." I say without reserve. "His thoughts must be swirling of me just ripping your clothes and having my way with you, staining your honor like some lecherous pig." I tell Andrea with a short laugh. 

"…My brothers asked me if that is what's happening to me." Andrea answers.

"Oh, And what did you tell them?"

Andrea with tears streaming down her cheeks looks up at me with a blank look.

"Its none of their…business."

"That's a good princess."

6