7. A Kingdom’s Worth of Debt
40 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The tension in the air was palpable as I gazed into the princess's eyes. I knew all too well that she was frustrated, trapped in a situation where she had no control.

"So, are you going to do this or not?" I asked, and after a few seconds of hesitation, she let out a sigh and grabbed a nearby chair. As she picked up the fork and knife from the table, I couldn't help but notice a hint of spite in her gaze.

"You're not going to stab me or anything, right?" I teased with a grin.

"Y-You know I can't do that, sir," she replied, her voice trembling slightly. "Even if I tried to, the binding contract would prevent me."

"That's right, and it would end you right on the spot," I reminded her as she raised the fork loaded with food.

"S-Say 'Aah,'" she stammered, moving the fork towards me with her cheeks flushing slightly. She was doing her best to act natural, even motherly. Did she truly desire to be the hero so badly?

"Alright, I think that's enough," I said, taking the fork from her hand. "I'll be meeting with a few dignitaries in a few hours, and I can't afford you trying to trip me up by pretending to be my girlfriend," I teased, causing her blush to deepen.

"E-Eh, what do you mean b-"

"Sir," a voice from outside interrupted our conversation. "The representatives from the Holy Kingdom have informed us that they'll be bringing their guards with them for this meeting."

"Well, I'm not really surprised," I scoffed, moving Andrea's chair closer and lifting her by the waist, causing her to squirm with a mixture of confusion, disgust, and embarrassment as I placed her on my lap.

"No matter. Let them do what they want. It's quite absurd how the so-called faithful rely on human means, all while being overly confident in their deity," I remarked.

"Don't you have guards of your own?" Andrea asked, her discomfort evident as she fidgeted on my lap, her butt brushing against it. 

"Yes, but there's no need to be dramatic, princess. I don't believe they'll do anything reckless. If push comes to shove, my mother has taught me a few things that would give those righteous fools a run for their money."

"I-I see... erm, will I have to stay on your lap the whole ti-"

"No," I interrupted Andrea, holding her waist once more, making her squeal and stand up. "I'll need to make the necessary preparations."

After a few hours, one of the maids informed me that the dignitaries had arrived. I dressed in a sharp blue suit and gathered a few magic tomes and scrolls, stashing them in my pockets. While my father had been an Arcane Doctor, my mother had always been fascinated by pure magic – from spells and tomes to incantations. She was enamored with its mysterious nature, perhaps a bit too much, as I recalled the heated arguments between my parents. My father accused her of being consumed by her fascination, and at first, I believed him. But when I discovered what my mother was truly doing, I realized it was my father who was the one blinded by ignorance.

"A lunatic for not assisting her. It could have lifted us out of damn poverty much faster. Mother's grasp of the entire concept is beyond anyone else's..."

Maybe in the future, I could use my mother's legacy to make a difference. But for now, there was money to be made.

After a short walk, I reached the guest house that had been prepared for the guests. It appeared modest but suitable for hosting a meeting between a creditor and a kingdom's delegate. As I entered the main hall, I was greeted by smiles from the maids and office staff. At the far end of the hall, my secretary was finally smiling, and beside her stood Andrea, looking every bit the princess in her purple dress, a small tiara adorning her head, and an air of elegance befitting royalty.

"Sir!" one of the maids, a girl with fiery red hair, squealed. "It's been a while since we've seen you."

"You know how busy things can get for me," I replied, to their surprise, as I approached the young maid and patted her head. "A creditor's life can be a personal hell."

"Or a paradise," another maid, with composed blue hair, chimed in while adjusting my clothes. "If I may be frank, attending to the guest house can be rather dull. Perhaps I should request a transfer to serve you personally?" She suggested in a sultry tone, and I chuckled.

"Perhaps, at another time. You all know that you're welcome to share your thoughts with my secretary," I said in a louder voice, just as I heard cars arriving. "But for now, I'm here on business, and business..." I turned around and noticed a figure in white robes gazing at me.

"...is more important."

2