9. Debts and Piety
64 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

This situation had become increasingly frustrating. It felt like a recurring theme, with another person figuratively offered as payment to a creditor. Did they all view us as nothing more than lustful scoundrels, driven solely by carnal desires? Well, I admit to having such inclinations at times, but this was pushing the limits of patience. Already dealing with the presence of the princess in my life, now this...

 

"Will my presence not be sufficient, esteemed creditor?" the holy woman asked, her voice tinged with uncertainty.

 

"Enough," I curtly interjected, raising my hand to stop her. "Hold your words, holy woman." I scrutinized her more closely, considering her value beyond her outward appearance. She did possess a face and physique that could intrigue one's baser instincts. The thought of defiling such a virtuous maiden had its temptations. It could serve as a potent lesson to those who blindly followed religious doctrine. The image of her father's shocked expression upon discovering her new role as the head of a fetish establishment danced in my mind. But for now...

 

"Well, you do have a pleasant appearance, that much is evident," I remarked, my tone filled with skepticism. "But what else can you offer beyond disrobing to your undergarments? I won't be portrayed as a depraved lecher, holy woman."

 

"I have a select group of skilled spellcasters who are willing to pledge their allegiance to you, esteemed creditor," she replied with unwavering resolve. "If my father prevails in the struggle against the heretics, they shall commit themselves to your service. They, too, are unmarried young women prepared to dedicate their talents as a part of your. har-" 

 

"You're well aware that such an offer falls far short! And what kind of a stupid offer is that in the first place?!" I retorted, my impatience evident in my tone, causing her to flinch once again. "And kindly cease insinuating perverse intentions on my part! What's next, you're going to expect me to ogle at their panties or something? But let's entertain the notion that your side prevails. I would gain a few capable contractors for my mercenary ranks. However, if your faction falters, it would spell the end of both my financial interests and your devout group."

 

With a determined resolve, the holy woman reached for her fallen robe, extracting yet another scroll crackling with mystical energy, which she placed firmly on the table. "Another Light of Essa, at your disposal, esteemed creditor," she declared.

 

Upon seeing the scrolls, I couldn't help but burst into laughter.

 

"Hahaha! Is that the sound of desperation I hear, my dear?" I moved closer, gripping her waist, which elicited a startled squeal from her as I retrieved the two scrolls.

 

"N-No, it's the cry of our struggle," she replied, attempting to regain her composure. I ran my fingers along her back, noticing a sheen of sweat on her skin that glistened under the dining hall's lights. Lightly tugging at the hooks of her strapless bra, I caused her to squeal once more, prompting to let her go and lightly push her away. 

 

"If you're offering yourself to me, holy woman, you need to display more confidence," I advised, picking up her robe from the floor and draping it over her bare shoulders. "That was merely a playful gesture, yet your eyes seem to anticipate being devoured whole."

 

"M-My apologies, esteemed creditor," she stammered, with beads of sweat forming on her brow.

 

"No need for apologies, my dear. As of today, these scrolls, your guards, and your entire existence are collateral," I declared firmly. "Inform your father to contact my team regarding the loan amount. Accommodations have already been arranged for you and your entourage. You should rest."

 

"Thank you, creditor. The pontiff's daughter, Daliah, is at your service," she said, prostrating herself with her head touching the ground.

 

"You need not pledge yourself so, Daliah. Your father's actions have already done that for me.” I grin while leaving the dining hall. Observing the entourage that accompanied the holy woman, they promptly shed their head scarves, revealing a group of young girls who humbly bowed in my presence. These must be the magic casters she had mentioned, or at least a portion of them.

 

"You!" I called out to one of the maids near the dining hall's entrance. "Ensure they are well taken care of. Where is the princess?"

 

"She's already asleep, sir," the maid replied in a hushed tone.

 

"Good. I had planned to introduce her to the holy woman, but given recent developments, it may not be necessary. They might become fast friends at this rate," I sighed. "In any case, I'm calling it a night. I still have a few matters to attend to in the morning. It has been a long day.”

 

"Yes, sir. Astra has arrived, by the way," the maid suddenly revealed, surprising me.

 

"Astra? What is she doing here?" I inquired.

 

"She mentioned that she has something important to report," the maid replied promptly, making me snort.

 

"She always has something to report. Why in the middle of the night, though?"

 

"It concerns the Magistra Academy's accounts."

 

Hearing the name of the academy piqued my curiosity. "The Magistra? Weren't they good clients? They recently secured another loan, didn't they?"

 

"Yes, sir, but... I believe it would be best if Astra explained it to you directly," the maid suggested.

 

If Astra was seeking an immediate audience, it could only mean that something significant had transpired.

 

"Very well. Inform her to come to my study in the next 30 minutes. I need to freshen up. And please, ensure she doesn't bring her firearms with her," I instructed the maid. "She's been a bit trigger-happy lately, and I'd rather not have her shooting up the place unexpectedly."

 

"Of course, sir," the maid acknowledged. "She also mentioned something about changing into her undergarments before coming—"

 

"Enough!" I snapped at the maid, who promptly bowed. "Tell her that it's a nonsensical request! Now, may I return to my room and prepare?"

 

"Of course, sir. If that’s the case, if you’d allow me to help you i-“

 

"No."

 

1