Chapter 67 — In which they have plans (6)
14 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 66 — In which they have plans (6)

 

Alexandrit looked back at the back doors of the Universe Temple a few times.

He had a confused look on his face, as if he himself didn't know why he was looking back.

Amara, who observed him for a moment, answered that question for him.

 

"He will be fine. Mr. Geod can take care of himself."

 

Alexandrit flinched, looked at Amara with a bit lost face and then slowly turned his gaze away.

He stared at the road ahead as he mumbled:

 

"I know. It just feels strange to leave that kid alone there, while I'm here, outside."

 

He, Amara and Phlox were currently heading out to carry out an operation 'Burn down the "meat farm"'.

Geod was left at the temple, watching over the puppet with Amara’s looks.

If anything happens on his side, Geod would use a communication stone Amara made, to warn them and get them back quickly.

Of course, there were a lot of variables to this plan, but…

 

‘I should trust him…’

 

Amara recalled a small head with complicated feelings.

He didn’t wish to involve him, but because he lacked manpower…

While Amara fell into his thoughts, Phlox and Alexandrit had a hushed conversation on the side.

 

“I heard that you and Mr. Geod are brothers?”

“… Yes, that’s right. Why do you ask Priest Phlox?”

“Hm, I just thought it was strange…”

“What?”

“For one, you don’t look alike.”

“People aren’t always brought together by blood.”

“I see… I thought you would answer that those with mixed bloodlines often don’t look alike, but it seems that you aren’t related by blood.”

 

Alexandrit gave Phlox a look.

 

“Does it matter if we’re related or not?”

“No. But you’re a strange man Mr. Alexandrit, so I found some things curious.”

“Things like what?”

 

There was no expression on Alexandrit face, while Phlox was smiling slightly.

In other words, they looked exactly like always, so it was hard to tell if they had a battle of nerves or casual conversation.

Perhaps, in some way, it was both.

 

“Well, for second, your relationship isn’t very brother-like. More like a father and son.”

“It can happen when there is a large age difference.”

“Is that so? But, Mr. Alexandrit, you seem to be in your early thirties, while Mr. Geod told me that he should be twenty-nine this year. Is there really such large age difference between the two of you?”

“I age a bit slower than him.”

“I see.”

 

Phlox nodded and asked after a moment of silence.

 

“Mr. Alexandrit, are you devotee of any particular deity? Of course, if you think it’s impolite to ask, please don’t answer.”

“No, it’s fine. This humble one is following the ways of the Tree of Fate.”

 

Phlox blinked several times, as if she doubted her ears.

Then she looked at the attendant with a strange expression.

 

“Mr. Alexandrit, as a priest I serve to all kind of divine forces and my duty is to strengthen the faith of believers, but even I cannot fathom your faith choice.”

“Why not?”

“You lived as a slave for more than twelve years, according to the records. I shall never know the depths of cruelties you experienced and saw. And yet you’re still a devotee of a god, who almost never answers?”

“It seems that Priest Phlox thinks about me as someone, who loses his faith in the face of struggle and agony, but I’m opposite. I found the silence of my god rather comforting. Because if they don’t answer, then it means I’m on a right road.”

“The ‘right road’ turned you into a slave.”

“No, Priest Phlox, I turned into slave by own choice.”

 

Phlox frowned.

 

“So you believe that your choices are yours, even when your god is controlling your fate?”

“I believe there is a grand plan to everything, but the choice to follow that plan is ultimately mine.”

 

Phlox frown deep as she fell into thoughts.

Then she looked up at Amara, who was walking ahead of them, and asked:

 

“What do you think Your Excellency?”

“… There is certainly some kind of plan.” He paused as he looked up at the night sky. “I for one, certainly have one.”

 

He didn’t turn around to see what kind of expressions the two behind him were making.

It was enough that their gazes already were burning his nape.

 

*How grandiose.*

 

He heard a chuckle in his head.

It had a note of mockery, but the gods, who would usually jump to rip apart anyone, who said a bad word about Amara, were silent.

Even gods became quiet when ‘they’ appeared.

 

*Are you old enough to have plans now?*

*Don’t mock him now, even when young, he was a bright child.*

*Ah, yes… so bright. So bright you set him on fire-*

*Stop. That’s enough.*

*Don’t cut it. That lesson was already learned.*

 

Gods of fate.

Strange beings, who never changed.

They were the ones, who spoke to Amara first, when he woke up with his old memories.

The ones that said ‘We resurrected you’.

They were both good and bad, both nice and cruel.

But Amara’s reaction to all of them was the same.

 

‘Fuck off.’

 

He wasn’t going to follow their plans.

Not this time. Not ever again.

 

‘I won’t let him burn down ever again. Neither him, nor my siblings, nor anyone else.’

 

He will only burn the shackles that kept them away from freedom and happiness.

 

*That’s right.*

*Yes, you won’t let them.*

*And they can fuck off.*

 

The other gods suddenly also quietly chimed in.

But the gods of fate already went silent a long time ago.

 

*-*-*

 

“Your Excellency, you’re here.”

“Welcome.”

 

At the doorsteps of the temple of Dead and Forgotten Gods, Perlliar and Cotteo bowed in greeting.

 

“We prepared the item you asked for.”

“And we also added a little extra.”

 

They led the three guests deep inside the temple.

 

There was a strange room marked with numerous holy formations.

And inside of it, on a small pedestal.

Laid a fox mask painted with vermilion and golden paint.

It was probably a very beautiful mask, but when one tried to take a closer look at it, its edges turned hazy.

It felt like something made out of fog.

 

“And here is a bonus.”

“We didn’t want His Excellency to catch cold.”

 

Amara turned his head towards the direction the priests pointed.

There was another item in the room.

A black like night robe that seemed to change its color when light touched it.

Amara, who recognized what kind of item it was, smiled and said:

 

“I cannot express my than-”

 

But his thanks stopped.

Something caught his eyes.

There was a small pin on a robe.

It was decorated with a clear blue jewel.

Amara silently looked at this jewel for some time.

*~*~*

Author's note: My apologies, chapters may be quite sporadic for a moment, as I somehow managed to be even busier. I'll make sure to find time for writing as quickly as possible.

Thank you for reading <3 May you have some good free time~

0