Chapter no.8 Bet: Life or Death
115 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Read advance chapters of all my works or want to support me .

https://www.p.a.t.r.e.on.com/Adamo_Amet

....

Join us on discord : 

https://discord.gg/DXv2nkTB

••••••••••••••••••

Elder Nie Wei had long understood the grim reality that the Heavenly Marks Family was fading away. 

As a child, he had witnessed their glory, a proud family of warriors whose fame could rival even the Snow Wind Family. 

But as the decades passed, he watched helplessly as their power diminished. 

Their lands were seized over trivial disputes, their warriors either killed or exiled, all to satisfy the whims of rival families. 

In Nie Wei's eyes, the once-great Heavenly Marks Family was already a relic of the past, its downfall orchestrated by the feeble leadership of Nie Hai. 

He believed the family's only chance for revival rested in his hands, under his rule.

However, Nie Wei faced a significant obstacle: despite his age, Nie Hai remained a formidable force, far beyond Nie Wei's ability to challenge directly. 

So, Nie Wei bided his time, waiting for nature to claim Nie Hai, dreaming of the day he would take over.

But then, something unexpected happened. "Patriarch Nie Hai, do you have the courage to make a bet with me?" 

Nie Li's words echoed through the hall, surprising everyone, including Nie Wei.

Under normal circumstances, Nie Wei would have dismissed such audacity with a scoff. However, this time was different. 

As he processed Nie Li's challenge, Nie Wei's mind began to whirl with possibilities. Perhaps this was the moment he had been waiting for, the chance to enact his plan and claim the leadership of the Heavenly Marks Family for himself.

.....

Nie Li focused on the screen before him.

[ Option 1- I have a way to save the Heavenly Marks Family ]

[ Option 2- I challenge you to the seat of the Patriarch ]

[ Option 3- Give me one week, I can prove to you that I am the strongest of the next generation ]

[ Option 4- Stay Silent ]

The first choice.

[ Option 1- I have a way to save the Heavenly Marks Family ]

It felt too daring. 

Making such a bold statement was risky because the system would likely put me in a tight spot to back up my claim. 

I doubted I could just talk my way out of that situation.

Then there was option 2.

[ Option 2- I challenge you to the seat of the Patriarch ] 

But that felt like jumping off a cliff without wings. 

I wasn't even close to being a bronze rank, let alone gold rank. 

What was I thinking? That I'd challenge him and then what? 

Hide and hope he'd just... pass away from a stroke?

[ Option 3- Give me one week, I can prove to you that I am the strongest of the next generation ] 

This option caught my eye. 

This option had something tangible about it—a challenge, a chance to show what I could do, not just empty words. 

It was a promise of proof, a real goal. But the big question lingered: could I actually pull it off?

And finally.

[ Option 4- Stay Silent ]

Well, that ship had sailed the moment I opened my mouth.

[ Selection Confirmed: Player Nie Li has chosen Option 3. ]

"Give me one week, I can prove to you that I am the strongest of the next generation," Nie Li declared, leaving everyone stunned. The room fell into a deep, unnerving silence, with every pair of eyes locked on him. Patriarch Nie Hai's gaze was the sharpest of all, slicing through the quiet. 

After a moment that seemed to stretch on forever, the Patriarch finally broke the silence. 

"And how do you propose to do that?" he asked, his voice steady and calm.

To everyone's surprise, it was Elder Nie Wei who answered. 

"Patriarch, I have a suggestion," he said, capturing the attention of everyone in the room.

"What might that be, Elder Nie Wei?" Patriarch Nie Hai inquired, curiosity evident in his tone.

Elder Nie Wei, standing tall and confident, proposed, "In one week's time, let's organize a tournament for the younger members of our family, with Nie Li participating as well. The last one standing should be recognized as the strongest of the next generation and named the next heir to the Heavenly Marks Family."

The suggestion sent a wave of shock through the hall, leaving everyone, including Nie Li, utterly astonished.

Patriarch Nie Hai, his eyebrows raised in question, looked at Elder Nie Wei. "And what's the reason for this unusual suggestion?" he inquired.

"The reason, Patriarch, is simple," Elder Nie Wei began, his voice steady and convincing. "We are at a crucial point in our family's history. Our strength has waned, and our enemies circle like vultures. What we need is unity, a demonstration of our resolve to rise again. What better way to ignite the spirit of our family than through a competition that showcases the strength and potential of our next generation?"

Patriarch Nie Hai appeared unconvinced, his stance firm. "A tournament could indeed showcase our young members' talents, but naming the victor as the next heir? That is a significant departure from tradition."

"Traditions are the backbone of our family, yes, but even traditions must adapt in the face of survival. We must be bold, Patriarch! Let us empower our youth, let them lead us into a new era!"

The crowd began to murmur among themselves, the idea taking root. Some nodded in agreement, while others whispered their doubts.

Seeing the crowd's reaction, Elder Nie Wei seized the moment. He turned to face them, his voice growing louder, more impassioned. 

"Fellow members of the Heavenly Marks Family, do we not desire to see our family regain its former glory? Are we content to watch as others surpass us, or do we take this chance to rise?"

The crowd's murmurs grew into voiced support.

Patriarch Nie Hai, feeling the shift in the room, still held his ground, but his voice softened. 

"Elder Nie Wei, while your words stir the heart, we must consider the implications. Is this truly the best path forward?"

"What better path than one that unites us under the banner of hope and strength? Let us make a stand, here and now, for the future of the Heavenly Marks Family!"

The hall erupted in applause and shouts of agreement, the crowd swayed by Elder Nie Wei's fervor.

Patriarch Nie Hai, looking around at the faces of his family members, felt the weight of their collective will. 

With a heavy sigh, he gave a slow, deliberate nod. 

"Very well, Elder Nie Wei. We will proceed with your suggestion. Let this tournament be the crucible in which the future of our family is forged."

Elder Nie Wei, triumphant, bowed deeply to the Patriarch. "Thank you, Patriarch. You have chosen wisely. This tournament will mark the beginning of a new chapter for the Heavenly Marks Family."

Hearing Elder Nie Wei's passionate speech, Nie Li couldn't help but wonder if the old man was being influenced by the same mysterious system that guided him

Meanwhile, Patriarch Nie Hai, the eye of the storm, regarded the source of the upheaval with a patient gaze. The task of selecting an heir had become a migraine he hadn't asked for, knowing full well the victor, likely from the main family, would only serve to complicate his reign further.

His eyes settled on Nie Li, the catalyst of this chaos. 

"Elder Wei, what is Nie Li's soul force?" Nie Hai asked, his tone so casual it bordered on indifference.

Elder Wei, barely containing his disdain, hurried to consult his records. 

"Nie Li's soul force is 5," he declared, a smirk twisting his features as laughter broke out, filling the hall with a cruel mirth.

The crowd didn't hold back their scorn. 

"He's as strong as a newborn kitten, watch out!" someone called out, sparking a wave of mockery.

"A soul force of 5? My little sister sneezed and blew away a stronger soul force!" another added, provoking more laughter.

The jeers kept coming. 

"Is this a joke? Because I forgot to laugh," and "Maybe he meant the strongest in terms of audacity. Certainly not in soul force!" 

"Hey, maybe he can challenge the chickens in the yard! That's a fair fight, right?" a younger voice chimed in, drawing snickers from the crowd.

"With a soul force like that, he'd struggle to light a candle, let alone fight a demon beast," a seasoned warrior added, causing an uproar of laughter.

"He's the strongest, alright — at stirring up a good laugh!" another voice mocked, their laughter harsh in the heavy air of the hall.

But then, silence fell like a curtain as Patriarch Nie Hai raised his hand. The laughter died, and all eyes turned to him. His gaze, unlike the derision that had filled the hall, was serious and piercing as he looked at Nie Li.

"Boy, if you lose this tournament, you will compensate us with your head on a silver platter. You wanted to have a bet; you have one, and now you are betting with your life."

7