Chapter no.62 In the Dark part 3
77 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Read advance chapters of all my works or want to support me .

https://www.p.a.t.r.e.on.com/Adamo_Amet

....

Join us on discord : 

https://discord.gg/DXv2nkTB

••••••••••••••••••

In Glory City, a man's words are intertwined with his honor, his reputation, and even his capabilities.

There's a saying that goes, "If a man can't fulfill his own word, he's seen as less than nothing, mere trash." 

This harsh judgment reflects the weight given to one's promises and declarations. Fulfilling one's word isn't just a matter of personal pride; it's a cornerstone of trust and respect in a society that values strength above all.

....

The council room fell into a deep silence, every eye fixed on Shen Xiu. 

She was in a position to ask for anything, and the family was bound to fulfill her request. 

Most of the elders quietly sighed in relief, grateful they hadn't done anything to offend her. 

They knew she had the power to make life difficult for them with just a single wish. Despite this, a sense of readiness filled the room. 

If Shen Xiu desired their positions, they were prepared to defend their status, even against the Patriarch himself. 

After all, they reasoned, Shen Xiu had made significant contributions to the family, but hadn't they done the same? 

This was the thought that echoed in everyone's mind as they awaited Shen Xiu's response.

"Patriarch, I would like the Flying Dragon Pill," Shen Xiu stated, her voice cutting through the tense silence. 

A collective sigh of relief swept through the council room. 

No one objected, recognizing that it was only natural for someone to seek strength, and the Flying Dragon Pill was a renowned resource for achieving just that.

"That can be arranged. What is your second wish?" Shen Hong inquired, his tone neutral yet expectant.

Shen Xiu's gaze shifted to Elder Shen Ming, who visibly tensed under her scrutiny. 

A sneer crossed her face, eliciting sympathetic glances from around the council towards Shen Ming.

"Patriarch, a month ago, I was tasked with arranging the marriage between young master Shen Yue and Ye Ziyun. During this assignment, Elder Shen Ming sought to exploit his authority, attempting to coerce me into his bed. I consider this a direct affront to the Patriarch's honor, suggesting Elder Ming sees himself fit to be the Patriarch's brother-in-law." Shen Xiu's voice was steady, her accusation grave. "For my second wish, I demand that my brother uphold the honor that Elder Shen Ming has sullied."

Shen Xiu's words were carefully chosen, painting Shen Ming not just as a womanizer—a trait that had been overlooked due to his contributions to the family—but as someone who had egregiously overstepped his bounds. 

Among the council, Shen Ming was known to be the least powerful, his position precarious. 

Now, Shen Xiu was explicitly not asking the Patriarch, but her brother, to restore her honor, a request that carried an unspoken but clear implication: she was asking for Shen Ming's life.

Shen Ming, in a state of panic and disbelief, stood up abruptly, his voice cracking as he screamed, "Patriarch, have I not contributed enough to this family?" 

The council erupted into muffled snorts and whispers; while Shen Ming had indeed expanded the family's territories and increased their income, these accomplishments now seemed trivial compared to Shen Xiu's recent revelations and the support she had from the Patriarch.

Shen Hong, with a calm yet piercing gaze, posed a daunting question to Shen Ming, "Ming, tell me, do your contributions outweigh my sister's?" 

"Yes, I believe so," Shen Ming managed to say, trying to stand his ground.

"Does that mean that when I gave Shen Xiu my word, and when you contributed, I didn't? Was I mistaken?" Shen Hong's voice echoed through the council room, heavy with implication. 

The elders and council members silently stood up and distanced themselves from the table, sensing the gravity of the situation escalating.

"P-patriarch," Shen Ming stammered, attempting to plead for mercy.

"10," Shen Hong began the countdown, unyielding.

"But—" Shen Ming's plea broke into sobs.

"9," Shen Hong continued, his voice steady.

In a desperate bid for escape, Shen Ming transformed into his demon beast spirit, the golden jade cricket, and leaped through the room, breaking windows in his frantic attempt to flee.

"8," Shen Hong counted down, unfazed.

Shen Ming, now outside, continued his desperate sprint.

"7"

Shen Ming, now in his cricket-like form, leaped with incredible force, landing atop a building within the Sacred Family's estate. His sudden appearance caused an uproar among the onlookers.  

"What is that?" 

"Intruder!" 

But then, a few among the crowd recognized him. 

"No, that's Elder Shen Ming."

"6"

Without a moment's pause, Shen Ming used his cricket powers to break through the structure of the building, propelling himself forward with desperate haste. 

Confusion rippled through the members of the Sacred Family who witnessed this act. They couldn't fathom why an elder of their esteemed family would be fleeing in such a manner, his actions mirroring those of a fugitive rather than a respected figure.

"5."  

"4."

"3."

"2."

"So, any plans for the weekend?" one guard asked his companion, leaning against the wall near the estate's outer gate.

"Not much, maybe just some rest and..." The second guard's words trailed off as both felt a sudden gust of wind. They looked up, eyes widening in disbelief.

Above the gates, Elder Shen Ming was flying through the air in what could only be described as a panicked escape.

As Shen Ming attempted his desperate flight, an arc of wind sliced through the air with lethal precision. 

In a gruesome moment, his neck was cleanly cut, blood spraying onto the shocked guards as his head rolled grotesquely on the ground.

"AH!" 

.....

[ Holy Orchid Institute - Training Grounds ] 

Nie Li stood in front of the imposing entrance to the Holy Orchid Training Grounds, his gaze fixed on the giant gate adorned with a fearsome demon face. 

The gate's intricate design, with its snarling mouth and glaring eyes, seemed almost alive, a guardian to the secrets and challenges that lay beyond.

The training grounds were a revered institution in Glory City, established by the legendary rank demon spiritualist, Lord Ye Mo, and the principal of the school. Enclosed by towering walls, the grounds served as a proving field for the city's young aspirants. 

Every year, experts would capture low-level demon beasts and release them into the grounds, providing Holy Orchid Institute students below silver rank with a unique opportunity to hunt these beasts for materials and training.

A nostalgic smile played on Nie Li's lips as he remembered his previous life, where he and Lu Piao would often skip classes to sneak into these grounds, not for training, but to find a quiet spot to sleep. 

This time, however, his purpose was different.

Approaching the front desk, Nie Li went through the registration process. 

He provided his name and student details to the clerk, who then recorded his entry into a large, leather-bound ledger. 

The process was meticulous, ensuring that every student's venture into the training grounds was officially noted for safety and record-keeping purposes.

After registering, Nie Li engaged in a brief exchange with the groundskeeper, who reiterated the rules of the training ground. "All demon beasts hunted are the property of the student," the groundskeeper began, his voice stern, "but if the carcass is left behind, the student will be charged a fine." 

He continued to outline other rules: students were forbidden from engaging in fights with one another, use of external weapons or artifacts not registered with the institute was strictly prohibited, and students were required to exit the grounds before dusk to ensure their safety. 

"And remember," he concluded, "the training grounds are for your growth, not reckless endangerment. Respect the hunt, respect the beasts, and respect each other."

As Nie Li stepped through the small door on the side, he entered a man-made forest within the training grounds. Just ahead, Nie Li spotted Du Zhe and two others he didn't recognize, running frantically out of the forest. They were being pursued by a Demon Horned Sheep, a creature that looked like an ordinary sheep but with long horns, around which reddish soul force swirled menacingly.

"Oh, those idiots actually caused the horned sheep to use its ability," Nie Li mused to himself, watching the scene unfold. Suddenly, the trio ran directly towards him, seeking the safety of the guards, unwittingly positioning Nie Li between themselves and the charging demon beast.

"Dodge!" Du Zhe screamed in panic. Nie Li sensed the clerk's soul force burst into action, but it was clear any intervention would be too late to stop the sheep from potentially harming Nie Li—if he were anyone else.

In a swift motion, Nie Li's leg shot up, his own red soul force enveloping it, just as the demon beast leaped towards him. With a powerful "Boom!" Nie Li's kick connected with the horns of the demon beast, sending it flying back into the forest in a perfect parabolic arc.

"Baaaaa!" the horned sheep cried out, its voice fading as it was propelled back through the air.

The impact of Nie Li's counterattack left Du Zhe, the clerk, and all onlookers with their jaws agape in shock. The demon beast, which had been their target for the last three hours, had been effortlessly kicked away like a ball by Nie Li.

"The fine is theirs!" Nie Li declared, referring to the rule about leaving carcasses behind, as he darted into the forest, leaving Du Zhe and the others in stunned silence with the equally shocked clerk.

"Who was that?" they all wondered aloud, still unable to believe what they had just witnessed.

4