Chapter 11
5 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Housework.

Jane never learned any, there was no need. She was required to put efforts into learning etiquette, accounting, and culture. She didn’t have time to do cleaning and other stuff. Besides, if she was going to marry an aristocrat or at the very least a wealthy merchant, what was going to be the point of learning housework, of all things?

“Argh…” heaving a groan, Jane just rubbed the wet cloth against itself, hoping to get the dirt off. She dipped it in some detergent filled water and repeated. But it just wasn’t working. the stain just wasn’t coming off. Was she doing it wrong? Did she not put enough detergent or worse, the wrong one? What the fuck was even going on?

“Stop sighing and just finish, you’re at it for hours lass,” The lady sighed, shrugged and dusted the whole place.

It was cleaning day. Since morning Jane had been washing the clothes while the lady was busy cleaning the rest of the place. The shop was closed and they were the only ones in the house.

Yes, house. Top floor, living quarters. Bottom floor, potion shop.

And Jane happened to be by the window, just washing away. Except, she wasn’t finished in the least.

“You said if I could teach you, you’d learn, but your worthless, child. Have you ever worked?”

Slosh, slosh! “No… was never allowed to.”

“Strict parents,” the old lady sat down beside her. “You’ve done the best you can; but its not enough. Instead of just rubbing it like that, why don’t you rub in a circle or so motion? The potion should work as long as you create some foam, you don’t need to put much pressure at all.”

The lady actively guided Jane and before they knew it, washing the clothes part was over.

To Jane’s surprise, despite the lady constantly criticizing and mocking her, she helped her with almost all the chores. To the point, the lady was basically doing everything and Jane was just making her life harder.

Jane of course wanted to apologize but she didn’t. She didn’t like the mocking bit after all. But she was grateful and definitely glad.

They cleaned up, showered and had lunch.

“You can stay as long as you like lass,” the lady said, doing the dishes.

“Thank you, but,” she sighed. “I can’t. I have a dream to chase.”

The lady chuckled. “Everyone has one. No, I take it back, everyone has one at some point of their lives. But sometimes, you just have to bury your dreams for the sake of someone else’s.”

“Did you?”

“Who knows. I sure don’t.” Despite being old, the lady often acted plenty giddy.

Jane chuckled. “Okay, don’t tell me.”

“And what is that thing? It’s eating all my flowers,” she sighed.

Jane smiled… pretty awkwardly. She didn’t have an answer, no.

They were done, and Jane was almost done for the day. All she had to do now was to clean up the floor on the bottom floor and help the lady open the shop tomorrow. Not that hard. And since the lady already had most of the potions made and didn’t sell much of her stock, they didn’t have to restock either.

At least that’s how it was supposed to be. But Jane still found ways to make her life harder anyway.

***

Some days passed by and Jane started working full time at the potion shop. She had to gather at least some cash before she set out.

And oddly, there were more customers at the store these days. Particularly young men.

Apparently, Jane was one of the most beautiful women of the village. Technically, she wasn’t part of the village though but most men didn’t really care all that.

Not just beautiful, but also a sophisticated city lady! Or so her fans (Yes, she had fans) made it out to be.

They came, they chatted with her and then bought something random, making lots of profit for the shop. And the old lady was more than happy to share some with Jane.

So, both profited.

And days passed.

A week, and then two weeks. Life was slow, life was fun… and most importantly, life was peaceful.

At some point, Jane even forgot that she was out on a journey to find herself, to find freedom, to live, and to be free.

But she didn’t care anymore. This was also freedom, she arguged. And she was happy. She had a long life to live. And could just figure out things as she went.

Yet-

“Cough! Cough!”

The lady was getting a little sicker, and she almost fell over.

Jane held her, trying to stabilize the lady so she didn’t fall. “I’m fine lass. Just a little old.”

No one was around, and they were mostly done for the day.

Jane chuckled. “You always say that.”

“Because its true!”

She chuckled some more. “What will you do without me.”

“I’ll be fine,” the lady said, staring at Jane’s eyes. “So, you don’t have to worry about me. Lass, you mentioned you still had a dream, right? Don’t let it go, don’t let it go like me… why did you leave home?” She’d been noticing how Jane had become more and more accustomed to this life. Granted, she was happy to finally have someone around, she was happy to see the sales, and she was happy… to finally-

Jane paused, smiled and helped the lady settle down. She went back to the corner, dusting the shelf.

But- her mind… was no longer in the shop.

***

Years ago, when Jane’s grandmother passed, she’d found a letter.

A letter for her. For Jane.

“Dear Jane,

I hope you’re doing alright. I’m fine, I hope. I’m still alive but… a little afraid. Not of death, but what will happen to you. But I’m sure you’ll be fine. I’m sure you’ll figure something out. Life’s long, life’s short. But at the very least, you’ll have your time. And I pray that day comes soon. I pray, you find yourself, and you find your passion. And your freedom; your happiness.

You don’t have to put up with everything they tell you. You don’t have to do anything against your will. Live, be free; make your own choices. Be happy.”

An odd letter.

Her grandmother had never said those words to her while she was alive. Heck, she rarely spoke to her outside of teaching her magic.

But the letter didn’t end there. There was more on the other side.

“And maybe fall in love. Maybe find someone you truly love and settle down. Have kids. Raise them better than I did. So, no one has to go through what you did.

Farewell, my little squirt.”

That squirt part was unnecessary. Tears streamed. It had streamed the first time she read the letter.

And it streamed now, after all those years. She stared out the window, watching the dark city, thinking back how she got here.

She’d never let her letter go. she always carried it.

On the second floor, Jane sighed. She’d made some cash; she’d had some fun and peace.

But it was time to go.

***

Jane never found out anything about the man.

She didn’t see him in the village and she was kind of glad. But also kind of sad.

But that didn’t matter right now.

After all, she was leaving. Alone. Well, not technically alone since she still had the fluffball which had mostly recovered.

“I’ll miss you lass,” the lady had come to see her off at the end of the village. Not just the lady, quite a few villagers had come to see her off.

Mostly men but there were women and children and even elderly mixed in.

“Me too,” Jane said. “Once I get settled down, I’ll come visit,” she said, taking a step.

 “Hopefully I’ll still be around.”

“Hopefully, yes,” Jane chuckled and waved.

Both at the woman but also at the villagers.

Everyone waved back.

1