Ch.4 Second Visit
80 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I stared up at the building in awe. No matter how dirty it looked, there's just something about the Guildhall that makes it different from every other building I've seen. Maybe it's simply because this is the place where I'm achieving my dream of being an Adventurer, and, hopefully, the place that will help me better my lot in life. I wonder just how many hopes and dreams have ridden on this one building? I pushed open the door and swallowed back my anxiety. I carefully studied the floor as I shuffled my way towards the reception area.

"G'morning, Amaris. Welcome back," Miss Lorna called out, as pleasant as she was yesterday.

"G-good morning..!" I responded. I could feel the heat rising to my face as she smiled at me. 

"I'm glad you came in today. I forgot to mention something yesterday. Since you've successfully joined the Adventurer's Guild, you'll need to take part in our three-day training course. It's a free service provided by the Guild, " she explained calmly, " in an attempt to decrease the death rates we see amongst new adventurers."

Training course… While it could never hurt to have more information and learn more about the type of work I'd be doing, I… Three days is a long time to go hungry. If it was me of the past, I could probably have gone at least that long, but now… Prolonged malnutrition would likely affect how long I could last like that. 

"E-even if it's something small… isn't there any way I can take on a request today…?" I asked haltingly. I shouldn't have splurged yesterday…

Miss Lorna looked troubled, furrowing her brows as she considered my request. Her silence was almost too much. She eventually spoke, "I'm sorry, hun; I'd love to help you out, but I really can't. However, if your instructor permits you, I don't see why you can't take a request or two on the days you finish with the instruction early."

I made an effort to look her in the eyes and thank her. It's a required training, so of course there wasn't much she could do about it. Still… I hope the instructor is someone who will be willing to permit me. It's just three days, but… I refuse to resort to any sort of nighttime work. If the training ends early enough in the day, maybe I can make a few coins running errands for people around town…

Miss Lorna kindly directed me towards the stairs that would take me down and into the training area. I tried to be confident, but… It was all I could do to shuffle there, hoping to draw as little attention as possible. The stairs were simple, plain, unstained wood, although it almost appeared to have been polished. I was a little relieved. Sometimes, you can find just plain, unprocessed lumber used in stairs. The splinters you can get from accidentally running your hand along one are frightening.

The stairs gave a soft creak as I slowly made my way down them. The sound of voices flooded up from the basement level. There, I found Durin and a peppy young lady, who seemed to be in the middle of a dispute of some kind. 

"Why should I train under you, huh?! Everyone knows you're nothing but a joke! Ruining the name of Adventurers everywhere!" The young lady screeched, her face contorted with anger and disgust. Her silvery hair was pulled up into a single ponytail on the side of her head, but it still managed to dangle all the way to her waist. I had once possessed even longer hair than her, but I required the aid of several maids to thoroughly brush and style it each day. While my hair was now much shorter, I couldn't find it in myself to envy her beautiful, long hair. She was likely the daughter of a rich merchant or a lower noble family, perhaps one that had recently fallen on hard times. 

I stood to the side as she continued; Durin is a grown man. He can certainly stand up for himself against such a young lady. On the other hand, I can't afford to cause trouble. However, the minutes continued to tick by, with no sign of resolution. I fidgeted until, finally, I couldn't take any more of her incessant shouting. I slowly edged up to her, grabbing a fist full of her long hair, and dragging her head down to my level, as she was several inches taller than me. 

She shrieked and began swatting at me. "Miss, if you don't pull your hair back better, what are you going to do if a monster comes up to you and grabs you like this?" Saying my piece, I let her go, no actual damage done. If she had tried at all, she likely could have easily broken the grip I had had on her, but I guess she was too shocked for that. 

I turned towards Durin, who I had noticed began shaking out of the corner of my eye. An ominous chuckling noise came from him, and I instinctively took a step back. The chuckling evolved into full-on laughter, the sound rough and drastic contrast to the girl's screeching a moment ago. 

"Well then! You heard the girl, Elliva! Go and pull your hair up better and then get your scrawny ass back here for training!" His laughter stopped just as quickly as it had started. "If you don't, we'll be revoking your membership."

A serious threat, and a frightening one at that. The girl clicked her tongue as she glared at me. "Shouldn't this…" She eyed me up and down, "...peasant have her guild membership revoked instead? After all, you shouldn't attack fellow guild members." 

I froze up a little as I stuttered, "I-I didn't at-attack you. We're both here for training, so-so… It was just a training exercise…" 

Her eyes narrowed further. "Do you know who I am? Put your hands on me again, and…" She smirked as she enunciated each word, carefully, "You. Will. Regret. It." With that, she spun on her heel, her hair smacking me in the face. Durin waited until after she left to speak, "Good job, kiddo! I didn't think you had something like that in you!" He smacked me on the back with enough force to make me wobble on my feet as he laughed cheerfully once more. 

"That was Elliva Veersten. Her father used to belong to the Adventurer's Guild before he became a merchant. Eventually, he became so successful that he was able to buy a noble title. While the title can't be inherited, she's still the daughter of a Baron for now, so don't antagonize her too much," I moved away from him quickly before he could give me another smack on the back in his cheer. He puts way too much force into his 'pats'.... "Anyways, her father had seven children, with Elliva Veersten as the youngest. I guess the old coot was unable to pick an heir. I heard he told all of his children that anyone who wanted to even consider inheriting the business from him needed to be at least a B-rank adventurer, no small task, especially for that bunch of whelps."

I didn't say anything in response to him; I was too busy wondering, 'Why is he telling me all this?' Miss Elliva's family business was just that: the matters of her family, and therefore, they certainly do not matter to me. What would knowing the details of her family do to help me? No, such a thing wouldn't put coins in my purse. Deciding now wasn't the time to try to decipher his meaning in telling me such things, I pushed all thoughts of the matter out of my head. "I-I'm here… for the training lessons. C-could you tell me who the in-instructor is?"

 He gives me a strange look for a moment, before smiling and pointing to himself with his thumb, "I'm the instructor this go around; Guildmaster said it was my punishment for hurtin' ya." He looked me over, "You seem better today; how do you feel?"

I gingerly pat my head, "It stings a little, but other than a small headache, I'm fine. I'll be alright for the lessons." 

That strange look overcame his face once more, before he patted me on the back again, only much more gentle this time. "Let me know if anything gets too hard, and you need a break. I won't hold it against you, and it won't affect your guild membership, either."

Shaking my head, I told him, "No, I really need to complete this training. I don't have anywhere to stay anymore, so… I…" I trailed off, looking away. After that, we waited in silence as, slowly, more and more newly registered adventurers filed in.

At some point, Durin had walked to the front. "All right, whelps! It's time for you to get your asses in gear! You may be members of the Guild, but you're no adventurer. If you don't want to die the moment you step outside the city walls, then you better listen up and pay attention," His voice boomed in the large space. 

"Since this is basic training," He continued, "We'll be covering types of common requests, how to complete them, basic first aid, the importance of food and drink, and basic survival techniques. Questions so far?"

My eyes darted around the room. Ellvira had returned at some point. Although she still looked upset, she had pulled her hair back and listened intently. She seemed very determined. I…should probably go apologize to her later.

I continued looking around, but it didn't look like anyone was going to raise their hand. It looked like only a handful of people wanted to be here and were paying attention. Durin grumbled something I couldn't make out due to the distance between us, but it almost sounded like he said, ingrates.

He cleared his throat and began teaching about some of the first quests we'll take on, such as finding a lost pet or delivering a package. Then he launched into telling us about extermination, fetch, and escort quests. These were what people typically thought of when they imagined adventurers. However, he made sure to point out that they were not suitable for unseasoned adventurers without the help of a well-established, more senior party. Unfortunately, such parties rarely accept new members, let alone new adventurers. 

Eventually, we were released for the day; however… "Amaris,, stay behind. We need to talk."

I threw a look at the door. I had hoped to catch Ellvira before she got too far, but... Somewhat reluctantly, I turned back towards Durin.

He chuckled, "Don't worry, kid. This won't take long. We're just gonna have a chat with the Guildmaster."

The Guildmaster? Did I… do something wrong already…? Or maybe they decided they don't need someone like me in their guild… Thoughts swarmed my mind, and I grew tenser with each one. If I get kicked out, then what? Everything I worked so hard for… It would all be for naught. Frustrated, I rubbed my stinging eyes. 

"Don't make that face," Durin instructed concern and mirth an odd duo in his voice. "I gotta feeling you might like this meeting."

I nodded stiffly and trailed after him as he left the room. 

Our footsteps seemed to echo as we echoed the Guildmaster's office. The room, adorned with trophies from past conquests and illuminated by the warm glow of flickering torches, created an atmosphere that demanded respect. The man I assumed to be the guild master was seated behind an intricately carved desk and rose to his full imposing height as we approached.

We were warmly accepted into the Guildmaster's office. The guildmaster, a hulking figure with a mane of grizzled, ash-gray hair and a beard that falls to his chest, dominates the room as we enter. He seemed imposingly tall, taller than even Durin. Grendan's broad shoulders and heavily scarred arms speak of countless battles and victories. His eyes, a piercing shade of steel blue, reveal a keen intelligence tempered by the wisdom of years spent leading adventurers.

"Durin, Amaris, welcome," He greeted with a nod, his voice a deep resonance that filled the room. "Please, take a seat." He gestured toward the two ornate chairs positioned before his desk. "I am Grendan Naut; I'm the guildmaster for this branch. It is lovely to meet your acquaintance, Amaris. I've heard much about you, despite your recent arrival to our halls."

As we settled into our seats, a servant silently entered the room, carrying a tray adorned with a delicate porcelain teapot and an assortment of pastries. Grendan motioned for the servant to set it on the table across from us, filling the room with the aroma of freshly brewed tea.

"Tea, anyone?" Grendan inquired, pouring a steaming cup for himself. "It's a special blend from the eastern lands. Helps calm the nerves."

I glanced between the two nervously, but the guildmaster smiled reassuringly. "Y-yes, please… Thank you." I grabbed a sandwich with ham and tomatoes, both luxuries I could never dream of affording. Only after I started eating did I realize how truly hungry I was. The two were very considerate, making conversation between themselves as I devoured the snacks before me, ignoring my impropriety. 

With a full tummy, I finally turned my full attention to the guild master. My face burned with the knowledge of how rude I was, but those sandwiches just kept calling me back. Unfortunately, they only did so much to ease my nerves. 

Durin ruffled my hair as he said, "Don't worry. The Guild Master here may look like a mountain of steel, but he's got a heart as soft as a spring lamb."

I frowned softly, as I tried to fix my hair best as I could. Grendan chuckled, taking a sip of his tea. "Durin speaks the truth. Now, Amaris, I understand this might be a bit overwhelming for you. Let me assure you, you're not in trouble. We just need to discuss a few matters."

I swallowed hard, fidgeting with my hands in my lap. "I-I appreciate that, Guild Master."

Grendan leaned forward, adopting a more gentle tone. "Think of this as a conversation among allies. We're here to help you succeed."

"Amaris… I don't typically meet with new adventurers formally. The reason I've requested Durin to bring you to me today is because we learned about your living situation."

Just like that, any reassurance he might have offered me was gone, his words reigniting my anxiety. Are they going to kick me out over this?

"I-I'm sorry..! I-I'll do my b-best to improve or hide it better, so t-that it doesn't reflect p-poorly on the guild… Please… don't make me leave… I've worked *hic* so hard *hic* to become an adventurer." I'm not sure when I started crying, but tears flowed, unsteady rivulets down my face.

"No, no! It's not like that at all! The Adventurer's Guild prides itself on welcoming those from all walks of life. It's a well-known fallback for those in dire straits," Grendan started, soothingly.

"Quit it with the waterworks, kid."

I sniffled. What he said was true, but… Was that okay? Can someone like me really…

He spoke again, cutting off my spiraling thoughts, "We're authorizing an exception for you. You may take requests after you have finished the introductory lessons each day."

I looked up, incredulous, "R-really?"

Durin swatted my back, nearly knocking me off the seat, "Good for you! Told ya you'd like this meeting." He smiled smugly at me.

I nodded, gulping down the lingering tears. 

"The receptionist has already been informed, so why don't you head on down and pick up a request for the night?"

8