Ch. 8: A Filling Meal
66 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Back already?" Miss Lorna greeted me as I approached the counter. I nodded wordlessly as I took the signed request forms from my pocket, smoothed out some of the crinkles in them, and set them on the counter. "Thank you for all your hard work. I'm impressed. Folks don't often turn in requests the same day they accept them; F-rank adventurers are especially notorious. Good job, hon."

I tried to return her smile, but I faltered a little. Smiling is uncomfortable when you're not used to it. When I thought about how awkward and strange I must look, I just couldn't keep it up. She looked over the papers before moving to file them away somewhere out of sight. When she returned, she brought back a wooden tray with bronze coins stacked on it. The coins made a slight clinking noise, contrasting with the dull klunk of the tray, as she gently set it down in front of me. Coincidentally, none of the coins fell. "Here ya go! Seven from the Church, and four for finding the cat! You can go ahead and count them if you want, hon"

I shook my head, "N-no… Thank you." With so few coins, I could tell at a glance that it was the proper amount. Eleven bronze coins… That's a third of what I paid for the application fee. It had taken me almost a year to save this much. And yet, now I had earned so much in just one day. Being employed certainly had its perks. Granted, I had been saving up the money, while still spending just enough to get by. Now, I would be able to spend the money on lodging, and I wouldn't have to worry about whether or not I'd be able to eat. I got lucky…

Fortune was truly smiling upon me for the time being. Not only had I managed to secure enough for the application fees, an impressive feat for someone like me, but I had also managed to pass the combat exam, which should have been nearly impossible. Most who had to irk out enough of a living to just barely survive on the streets were in no condition for any sort of physical labor, much less an exam that required physical prowess and mental acuity. Hunger had a way of sapping at people's minds, not just their bodies. In some, it took away their very will to live. In others though… They were ferocious in their determination to survive, much like a pack of starving wolves.

I revenantly transferred the coins in front of me to my purse, pleased with the noticeable weight difference. This… is good. I'm doing well. Slowly, I was beginning to drag my way out of the hole I had found myself in. "M-miss Lorna…! Uhm… I'm s-sorry; do you know of any cheap inns?" I couldn't quite meet her eyes as I asked. Surely, between this and my appearance, she would realize that I was filthy. After all, no one liked people from the slums or the areas surrounding it. Not even the people themselves.

She was quiet for a moment, and I snuck a glance at her face. It wasn't a look of disgust, but the expression of one who is trying to think, albeit tinged with a hint of sadness. "An inn, huh? I live in Guild housin', but... Oh! I doubt you can get any cheaper than the place Durin is stayin'! That good-for-nothin' finally took on a request, but I reckon he'll be back before dark. Food's cheap here, so you could eat while you wait for him. He should be able to show you the way," She clapped her hands together, seemingly excited to of been able to answer my question.

"T-thank you… very much. T-then…. I'll do that." Moving away from the counter, I headed towards an empty table nestled against the back wall. A large window alongside it let in ample light, though it was tinged with golden shades as the sun began to set. People drifted about, to and fro, outside, likely on their way home from work or on their way to find their dinners. Many of them came into the Guild, speaking with Miss Lorna or taking a seat at one of the tables themselves. As more people came, the volume inside the Guild seemed to increase, as folks began to speak louder, either to be heard over everyone else or simply because liquor had loosened their lips.

Eventually, a cute young lady came up to me, looking a bit frazzled with her coppery hair escaping its braids. A smattering of freckles, a slightly too-large smile, and big, drooping eyes, a shade of green lighter than the greenery outside, seemed to define her face. The friendly air about her was reminiscent of Miss Lorna, but it seemed to be on a whole different level. Her figure wasn't quite lean, not quite chubby, which lent her a healthy air. "Hiya! Welcome! I haven't seen you before! Are you new? Or are you visiting from somewhere else?"

For a moment, I could only stare at her, helpless. I had not spoken to anyone in so long, and when I had, it was only a few words at most. Now, I was being drawn into conversations left and right. Honestly, it was more than a little bit exhausting… though I suppose it's exciting in its own way, too, once I look past the anxiety and uncomfortableness of it all. "I-I completed my registration yesterday," I said, looking away bashfully. While the look in her eyes was gentle, they also seemed piercing, as if she was reading into my very being.

"Ohh! Well then, congratulations! Y'know, I was going to register as an adventurer, but would you know it? I have no combat ability in the slightest! I ended up joining as an employee instead, and now I work here, waitressing the tables," She carried on, a thoughtful look on her face. "We all have our own strengths, I guess. Anyways, I'll forget if I keep on chatting. Today's specials are ravioli stuffed with a blend of ferendis meat, the taste and texture are a bit like lamb, and some vegetables. It's served with a white sauce that is absolutely to die for. We also have a hearty stew; it's a mix of leftover ferendis and guillywrot meat and seasonal vegetables. It's served with a side of bread and gravy. Guillywrot is like… Hmm… I don't think there's anything quite like it, but most of the gamey flavor is cooked out when it's made into a stew."

Monster meat is a common part of most commoners' diets. It's hunted regularly by adventurers who can choose to keep it, sell it to the Guild, or sell it elsewhere. The Guild keeps a portion of the meat sold to it for the dining hall, but it sells what it can't use wholesale to various merchants. Certain meats are more desirable than others. For example, ferendis meat tends to cost more than guillywrot, but I haven't had the opportunity to try either of them before. Nobles and those with an abundance of wealth tend to eat high-quality, high-desirability monster meat, as well as animals such as cows, pigs, and deer, to name a few. "I'd like… T-to try the ravioli, please."

"Of course! Between you and me, you made the right choice. I'm not sure anything can really overpower the terror that is guillywrot. Right! One order of ravioli coming right up!" She skipped away past the payment counter and into a back room, presumably where the kitchens were located. Guillywrot… Is it really that bad? I wouldn't mind trying it myself if only to find out… However, the ravioli would be more than enough for me. Maybe I can try some at a stall some time. Then again, if it's really as bad as she said, are there going to be any stalls that are selling it?

7