Ch. 11: Apology to be Made
59 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The room was dark, only illuminated by what moonlight filtered into the room. A small, oil lantern sat on a nightstand next to the bed, and I found a small box of matches next to it. 

Having never lit a lantern before, I stared at it in confusion. After a few seconds, I began inspecting the lantern and, eventually, figured out how to light the darned thing. A warm orange glow lit the room and cast dancing shadows against the walls. The walls were just wooden planks and were likely quite thin. 

As Durin had mentioned, I could very clearly hear the sounds of the other patrons downstairs. While I couldn't exactly be choosy, I carefully moved the linens on the neatly made bed, checking for signs of the bugs that were known to make their homes in bedding. Not finding anything but a lumpy mattress, I heaved a sigh of relief.

Once I had found an abandoned mattress, leaned up against a wall, and thought it a stroke of luck. Once morning came, however, I was covered in itchy red marks. Suffice to say, I learned my lesson. I would rather sleep on the floors, content to know that I was safe, than in a bed riddled with those bugs again. 

There was a single, large window on the opposite side of the room from the simple bed. I approached it, looking out at the outside world. The streets that I normally traversed daily look so different from above. They seemed almost beautiful. 

While the rest of the room was a warm, cold air leaked from the window, so I didn't stand there for too long. Warmth was a rare commodity this time of the year after the sun had set after all.

I carefully inspected the rest of the room, discovering a creaky floorboard not too far from the door, a chamber pot (a sign that this is definitely a cheap inn. Magical tools have long since replaced the necessity of these), an empty dresser, and a large washing basin. Despite knowing I was alone, I checked the room out of habit before calling upon my innate magic to fill the basin with hot water. It had been a long time since I had been able to properly bathe like this. 

While most everyone contained magic, most did not possess enough, or the discipline, to cast even mid-sized spells. However, even low quantities was more than enough to use every day magic.

I hadn't done anything particularly impressive, but typically, one would summon water and then summon fire to heat it. Heating the water at the time of creation was just barely out of reach for the majority of people. However, I had an abundance aether within my body, and I can't remember a time that I haven't trained my skill in it. 

My skill and overall capability probably surpassed most spell casters. Typically, most skilled spell casters came from noble families, and those born outside of one were quickly adopted in. However, simply being adopted into a noble family didn't ensure one would have a higher quality of life.

It's well known that common-born adoptees were frequently treated as little more than the family's property, a tool at their disposal. Of course, not all were like that, but it happened enough to be considered common practice. In more extreme cases, children with high aether capacity or magic ability would be gathered together and auctioned off as slaves. 

Although slavery was frowned upon here, it wasn't outright banned. A couple of neighboring countries had particularly low aether capacity and abilities, so such children sold especially well there, at a higher rate than if they remained in the kingdom. Sometimes, one would hear a dark rumor, detailing a child who had been sold and used as nothing more than a breeder.

While not exactly a child myself, I could ignore the chances that someone might try the same with me. I couldn't guarantee that I was strong enough to protect myself either. Therefore, I resorted to not using any magic at all, hoping to blend in as one unable to use magic. Anyone who was half decent with magic would be able to notice that I had a high capacity, although they wouldn't be able to tell just how high it was exactly. 

While that eliminated anyone who was only able to use low-level magic, anyone who was more skilled than that would likely be able to tell. After all, many spells required careful monitoring and control of aether. While it was possible to brute force one's way through many spells, the overall aether cost would drastically increase. All I had hoped for was that no one would find use in one who was unable to make use of that aether. 

After all, such a trait was, unfortunately, hereditary. I couldn't imagine honestly being unable to cast magic, and I could only hope that those without that ability didn't feel the gaping loss that I would if I ever lost it.

Being able to wash up with hot water was really a luxury after having bathed in rivers and other waterways for so long. I could feel the tension easing out of my body, and a sudden wave of drowsiness overcame me. As it became hard to continue standing, I finished up and collapsed onto the bed. Soft… It's so very soft. I wiggled about until I found myself under the covers, snuggled up nicely. There was a light flowery scent about the linens. I don't remember drifting off to sleep.

When I awoke that morning, it was almost noon. I felt disappointed at having missed the free breakfast, but I felt better than I had in ages after a proper rest in a real bed. Somehow, I convinced myself to slide out of bed. I stretched this way and that, making my back crack audibly. I didn't really have time to linger, but I took a moment to wash my face up and comb my fingers through my hair. I had slept so well that I couldn't keep the smile off my face. Satisfied, I headed downstairs. Therisse wasn't at the counter, and I didn't see anyone else about either. I continued on my way to the Guildhall, eager to finish today's training and accept some quests. 

I greeted Miss Lorna upon my arrival, before heading to the training area. Durin was already there, as were most of the others. I spotted Ellvira off to the side as if actively avoiding the other new adventurers. I shifted my weight from foot to foot, working up the courage to approach her. Finally, I swallowed, took a deep breath, and walked with purpose up to her. 

When she saw me, she flinched back, almost as if she expected me to attack her at any moment. I struggled to bring myself to meet her eyes, but I felt as though my apology wouldn't come across as sincere if I did otherwise. Finally, I stared right into her eyes. She looked extremely uncomfortable like she wanted to make a break for it. She bitingly asked, "What do you want?"

"I-I… I'm really sorry. I shouldn't have pulled your hair yesterday… I should have used my words. Are you okay?" I asked, also fighting the urge to run away.

Her eyes widened slightly as if shocked that I would apologize. "N-no, i-it's alright… I was in the wrong, too, so…"

We stood there awkwardly until Durin started the day's lesson. We discussed the importance of remembering to eat and drink while on missions. Apparently, a lot of adventurers have failed to do so and then taken on a job. They ended up not having the energy to successfully complete the requests they took on, and some even resulted in death. He then covered different types of wounds and basic first-aid responses. The class was over before we knew it, and Ellvira and I awkwardly said goodbye and parted ways.

After waving to Durin as well, I hurried to the request board. Lorna smiled at me but not without a hint of surprise as she watched my over-eager self. Perhaps because no one stayed at F-rank for very long, and so few wanted to take on the requests to begin with, the F-rank request board seemed about the same as yesterday morning. The other boards, however, contained conspicuous bald spots. After I advance, I would have to make sure to arrive early, but I would like to think that I wouldn't be sleeping in every day. Certainly, it would hinder what requests and how many I could take.

Today, I scanned the request board before picking out three delivery requests that were all in the same relative locations for pickup and drop-off. They detailed the general size, and I figured I would be able to carry all three at once. I grabbed up the requests and brought them over to Miss Lorna. "You were in late today," She mentioned as she stamped all the requests as being taken and made a few marks in her logs.

"Ah… I… overslept. The bed was really soft," I scratched my cheek, giving a shy smile.

With that, I set about my work for the day. Though the requests had seemed close together, it still took a while to complete all three, and it was after dark by the time I returned to the guild with the signed request forms. Miss Lorna had already left for the day, and the receptionist on shift wasn't quite as friendly and upbeat. 

She wasn't rude or anything like that, but she was more reserved. She processed my forms without any unnecessary movements or small talk and handed over fifteen bronze coins, even more than I had made yesterday. I resisted a grin as I thanked her and stopped by the Guild's meal hall for something to eat. My stomach rumbled in fierce protest at having gone all day without eating; while that was something I was used to from my day-to-day life before, I now had the money to be able to eat. That said, I determined that I would have to get up in time for breakfast at the inn tomorrow morning.

Today, I ordered a dish of vegetables cooked in a pan with a thick brown sauce, served alongside rice. Two thick slices of fatty meat that had been smoked all day accompanied it. I devoured every bite of it, and my stomach ached in protest by the time I finished. Once again, the flavor was amazing; the entire meal was very delicious and hearty. I quickly paid at the counter, another three bronze coins, and rejoiced in my luck as I headed back home to the inn. I paid Therisse another seven coins for the night. Her husband was once again nowhere to be seen.

6