Ch. 14: Rocky Start
50 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The request was E-rank, something Ellvira and I could only accept with a party. The reward was four silver, but, as a temporary member, my share would be forty-five bronze. To successfully complete the request, we needed to slay three wolves that were harassing livestock not far from the city. We get a bonus of seven bronze coins each for every additional wolf we slayed. As proof that we killed them, we needed to bring back either the ears or the entire bodies. With everything decided, Miss Lorna registered the two of us as temporary members of their party before completing the appropriate paperwork for us to accept the request.

 

We left immediately after that. I suggested that we should take the time to prepare properly, but… Miss Du’monte only harshly instructed me to not speak unless I was spoken to in a low tone. Then, shortly after we passed through the main gate, she instructed me to follow from a distance. I walked with Ellvira behind the trio, several feet away from them. We turned off of the main road out of the city and onto one of the many dirt paths that led towards our destination. 

After walking in silence for some time, Ellvira spoke, “I know we’re just starting, but… Doesn’t something about this seem off to you?”

 

Despite the warmth of the sun overhead, a chill ran down my spine at Ellvira's words. We continued to tread the dirt path, the rhythmic crunch of gravel beneath our feet the only sound breaking the silence. “It’s not just the lack of preparation or urgency,” She continued, her eyes narrowing as she stared at the three, “There’s something about the way they’re acting… Miss Du’monte especially.” 

 

I nodded in agreement, though unsure of if I had done something to deserve the treatment. It certainly couldn’t have been anything offensive enough that they felt the need to include Ellvira in their coldness. “M-maybe… it’s just their personalities?” I suggested as we started getting further and further away from the city and entering the outlying forest. 

 

Miss Du’monte's behavior was peculiar, to say the least. Every once in a while, she would turn and glare at me. I must have really offended her… Was it perhaps… As we continued walking, I worked up the courage to call out to her, “U-um! M-miss Du’monte!”

 

She whipped around, a scathing look in her eyes. However, I was used to such looks, and in this case, it seemed I was deserving of it. “What is it?” Her tone was noticeably less hostile, as we had the attention of Loreth and Sir Esquire. She must be worried that I’m going to make her look bad in front of them.

 

“C-can… I speak to you? Just for a moment…”

 

She scowled but walked over to me anyway. When she was close enough, I bowed my head and said in a voice just loud enough for her to hear me, but quiet enough that the gentlemen wouldn’t, “I’m s-sorry! I-I didn’t realize you t-two were a couple! I really wasn’t trying to… h-hit… on him!”

She made a strange noise that sounded like a combination of disgust and frustration. “Really! How dare you! You dare imply that I would fancy a slave?!” Her hands clenched into fists, and she trembled ever so slightly. O-oh… It must be a secret, forbidden love. 

 

She stamped her feet before spinning around and marching back over to the others. We continued our journey in silence, the path twisting and turning through the countryside. The air held a peculiar tension, and my unease deepened with every step. I-I shouldn’t have said anything… I hope I didn’t accidentally reveal her secret; the others were far enough away to not have heard anything, right?

 

Ellvira looked at me with pity; what for though, I wasn’t sure. Although she wasn’t much older than me, she gently patted my head. For a moment, I thought about telling her to stop, but then I remembered that some people find comfort in human contact. Maybe she was more upset than she let on. The more time I spent with her, the less and less she matched my initial impression of her. Since that time with Durin, she hadn’t yelled or insulted anyone. In fact, she was typically pretty polite, kind, and overall a good person. 

 

Eventually, we arrived at a secluded clearing surrounded by towering trees, and Sir Esquire turned to us, “Why don’t we stop and rest for a moment? Loreth’s been tracking the wolves. We should be reaching their den shortly. It would be best if we were all in peak condition.” Then, with concern etched on his face, he walked up to the two of us as we stood at the edge of the clearing. "How are you both holding up?" he asked, his voice pleasantly friendly. 

 

Ellvira exchanged a subtle glance with me before replying, "As well as we can, Sir Esquire. I’ve never left the city, personally, unless it was to accompany my father on one of his business trips, so this is all quite new to me."

 

He chuckled as he responded, “You’re doing great. Sorry for the fast pace, if we don’t finish this request tonight, Chelsea might lose her room at her inn. I told her she could come stay with me, but… What to do? She turned me down.” 

 

I managed a small nod, appreciating his attempt to reassure us. Ellvira also seemed to relax ever so slightly, but she still shifted her weight from foot to foot. Suddenly, Miss Du’monte’s voice rang out, “Michael… Loreth went ahead to scout out the den. Could you go with him?”

 

Sir Esquire shot us an apologetic glance before nodding and walking over to where Miss Du’monte said Loreth went. As soon as Sir Esquire left, Miss Du’monte approached us, her expression unreadable. She spoke in a low, measured tone, cold and unyielding, “Let me make one thing clear: You are not here to make friends. If I had it my way, neither of you would even be here. I already warned you about speaking out without being spoken to…”

2