Obsessed Palate: A Nutritionist’s Patient – Part 2
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Anael didn't hesitate for a moment in her decision and closed her eyes after embracing Haniel, ready to use her own body as a shield to protect the little one. However, at that precise moment...

*Thud*

After hearing that unusual sound and realizing that the danger seemed to have vanished, as several seconds had passed without any blow reaching her, Anael refocused her gaze on the scene. A faint hint of concern appeared on her face as she observed what lay before her eyes.

- Cibo.. What the hell are you doing...?

Epulón had stopped Cibo. Now, the child's face was consumed by fear, as the doctor's gaze had become so terrifying that even Anael felt a slight chill running down her spine. The space around him had distorted in such an inhuman way that it was hard to describe.

- Doctor Epulón.

As the atmosphere grew increasingly heavy with each passing second, Anael had no choice but to intervene and draw Epulón's attention, who returned to normal upon hearing her voice. Cibo certainly deserved an appropriate punishment, and the doctor would take it in stride.

With a slight sigh, Epulón inclined Cibo as an apology, and in a synchronized motion, he also assumed the same posture.

- I apologize for what happened, Miss Haniel.

- Food for Cibo is like a refuge from this bitter world, that's why he behaved that way.

- But I promise it won't happen again.

Haniel, now freed from the nurse's protective embrace, smiled slightly at the apology. The little one wasn't sure how to respond, so she remained silent, with an honest smile on her face. Seeing her like that, Epulón reacted similarly and, after exchanging a glance with her, turned to Cibo with a serious expression.

- Cibo, go back to your room.

- . . . !

Cibo, taken aback by the doctor's words, glanced at the remaining food on the table for a brief moment and then turned his gaze to Epulón to protest, but at the very moment he was about to do so...

- But, I still have food–

- Boy, I won't repeat it.

- . . . !

Lowering his gaze with sadness and offering no further protests, Cibo nodded at his doctor's words. As he walked away in silence, Anael observed him out of the corner of her eye, and at that moment, she was surprised to notice that the person waiting for the boy was staring at both her and Haniel.

At the entrance of the cafeteria stood another nurse, similar in height to Anael but with completely different features. Her short, straight hair of intense dark brown, golden eyes, a mole beneath the right end of her lip, and her petite figure characterized her.

She gave a faint smile to comfort Cibo, giving him a gentle pat on the back as she accompanied him to his room. Before leaving, both nurses exchanged an intense look, and for some inexplicable reason, there seemed to be a latent hostility in the woman's expression with short hair towards Anael. Though not openly expressed, this tension was palpable in the air. Concerned, Haniel tugged at her dear companion's uniform to get her attention.

In response to the little girl's unease, Anael warmly smiled at her and caressed her head. Epulón, who had been silently observing the scene, showed a sincere expression of appreciation. When the scene came to an end, he stood up from his chair and approached Haniel.

- Little one, I know I've already apologized, but I'd like you to consider this as part of my apology.

Epulón carefully placed a small cardboard bag in Haniel's hands. She felt a sweet aroma emanating from his gift, and it was slightly warm, as if what was inside had just been baked or cooked. The little one felt intrigued but also a bit confused. Anael, noticing her bewilderment, spoke on her behalf.

- Doctor Epulón, this is—

- ¡Churros!

- ..Huh?

The doctor interrupted the nurse with a triumphant gesture, raising his thumb and winking. Anael tilted her head slightly, showing an astonished expression. She had expected something lighter, like fruit, for the little one.

- Doctor, with all due respect, I don't think it's appropriate for Haniel. She just woke up after being unconscious for several days.

*Stop*

With another slight hand gesture and a smile, Epulón silenced Anael's words. The doctor assumed a confident posture, trying to dispel her doubts about the food.

- No need to worry. I'm an expert in nutrition and gastronomy.

- Plus, these churros are magical! Covered with fairy dust!

Epulón's expression seemed somewhat extravagant, but it reflected his sincerity, trying to make them forget the previous incident. Anael forced a smile while considering how to respond, but her main concern was the little Haniel.

- Magical..? Fairies...?

Despite not remembering clearly what fairies were, Haniel appeared moved, displaying sincere and tender curiosity on her face. She was so adorable that Anael thought she might go blind from the overwhelming cuteness. With a sigh of resignation, she finally gave her approval.

- Alright, Haniel, you can have one, but the rest has to be something light.

Both Epulón and Haniel showed a slight sadness upon hearing this restriction. The doctor seemed about to say something in response, but Anael was determined, and he had to relent. He sighed with a faint smile and, after looking towards the cafeteria's entrance, redirected his attention to them.

- Well, ladies, I must take my leave. I hope you enjoy your lunch.

Before Epulón left, Anael caught Haniel's attention to whisper a couple of words. Without getting up from her chair, the little girl lowered her gaze and, with her hands clenched together, cheerfully exclaimed:

- Thanks for the magical churros!

The doctor felt proud to hear those words, while Anael smiled somewhat bitterly, and a bead of sweat rolled down her cheek. Without further words, Epulón left with a measured pace, maintaining a cheerful expression on his face.

However, once the doctor entered the hallway, and they lost sight of him, his expression changed dramatically to a serious darkness.

A few meters away, the nurse who had taken Cibo to his room was walking in the opposite direction. Both kept their gaze forward, paying no attention to each other.

But in the moment they stood side by side, the doctor lightly touched the nurse's shoulder and whispered a few words to her. Then, they continued walking separately as if nothing had happened. Epulón's expression remained somber as he slowly faded into the darkness of the hallway.

0