Chapter 7: Along The Highroad Part 2
746 0 26
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I had been hoping for an excuse to break out the new toys that I received from the Marquis as a caveat for my loyal service.    

When I asked for a nonlethal weaponry, I was expecting something quaint and simple, like a sword with a reversed edge or a bo staff. Never would I expect to receive a set of Tonfa’s forged from the red iron ore of the Kharis Empire. 

They were custom made for my small ass hands and felt like extensions of my body. I shuddered to think of how much coin the Marquis spent to acquire these beauties.    

‘Time to break these babies in!” I smiled while giving them a little twirl.  

Goblins might be dull, abhorrent little creatures but they swarm in numbers, their strength isn’t power or skill, they wear you down with an onslaught until you're too weak to fight back, then they tear you apart or worse.  

So naturally, the best way to contend with these little pricks is to bring the fight to them and thin their numbers before they can overwhelm you. 

I dashed forward, closing the distance between the Goblins and I delivered the first crushing blow to the goblin, denting their skull with a quick strike from my Tonfa 

The other close quarter fighters surged towards me in a rage while the Archers loaded their arrows and the Shaman watched in silence, observing the events as they unfolded.  

The Goblins might hold weapons, but they didn’t have the faintest idea how to use them. They were sloppy and formless. Calling them warriors would be too heavy a compliment.    

I dispatched the other melee fighters with the eye of swatting a fly and returned my attention to my master, who had finally finished dusting herself off and surveying the damage.  

A barrage of arrows came flying towards my master. I could make it in time to shield her, but I’d have to use one of those pesky techniques that might jeopardize my cover story though… shit.

‘Master! Watch Out!”

‘Oh Please,’  

In an instant, my master raised her wand. It was small and slander, with a ruby nestled in the handle and esoteric runes running along the length of the rose-colored shaft.  

‘Flare Arrow,’   

At her command, the runes lit up and a torrent of flames rushed forth from her wand, incinerating the arrows as it surged towards the remaining Goblins.    

‘I’m a Redgrave, not a damsel in need of saving,’ 

Master scolded, flicking the hair out of her perfect eyes and rushing to my side.  

If memory serves every member of the house of Redgrave has been blessed with an ample reservoir of mana thanks to their noble blood, they specialize in the Moto style of magic which gives their casters the ability to summon powerful flames to engulf and incinerate their foes. 

‘Splendid form’ ’ I said, grinning from ear to ear.  

‘You can praise me once we’ve dealt with the rest of these loathsome creatures,’  

‘Practical and Sensible, God You’re perfect ’ ’ I said without thinking.

"You seem to handle yourself Bel, Can I trust you to handle the Shaman while I deal with those boorish archers over there?” 

My master said while casually dodging a few more arrows. The Goblins didn’t have the best aim, but it was still impressive to me. Most nobles would piss their pants, seeing their guards slain and being in the middle of a Goblin Assault

‘I sure can. One dead Shaman coming up in a jiffy,’   

Slamming my Tonfas together to hype myself up, up, I dashed towards the Shaman, who was busy muttering under its rancid breath.

Shamans were considered the fourth most dangerous kind of Goblin you can encounter in the wilds behind Goblin Kings, Hobgoblins and Elites.  

They can use primitive magic like commoners, but they don’t have the magic capacity of knowledge to do anything concerning. If I had to guess, this Sham was frantically doing a vanishing spell so it could slip away.

‘Searing Rain’ Master shouted while whipping her wand around.

A fearsome barrage of fireballs rained down on Goblin archers, scorching them to ash along with their bows, leaving only the Shaman remaining.   

I had to kill the little bastard quickly. Goblins don’t run in packs of ten. They run in packs of a hundred or more and even I’d struggle to contend with many of the little pricks.by myself

‘Master can you close your eyes for ten seconds please?”   

"You're going to ask me that when we’re in the middle of combat, are you insane?”

‘Just do it for me,  please Master!,’ 

‘Fine! Just do it already, my eyes are sealed,’ 

I didn’t want my master to see me using this technique; I needed something that would kill the Shaman in an instant. Once it vanished, not even I could track it and once the hoard comes we’d be in big trouble.  

I can’t do fancy spells like Master and these Tonfas can’t slice and dice so I’ll have to use one of the Serpico Family techniques, even though I swore I’d die before using them again,, my Masters safety comes first so I’ll break my rule for her sake.

Serpico Art: Fearmonger 

The Shaman never stood a chance the moment our eyes met. The creature's fate was sealed. A single thought was all it took to make the Goblin snap its own neck. A wave of nausea and revulsion washed over my body as my eyes lingered on the corpse of the Shaman. 

I swiftly collapsed to my knees, unable to repress the urge to vomit any longer. I spewed my breakfast back onto the ground, causing Master to rush to my side. 

‘Bel! Are you okay?’   

‘No..’ was all I said before another wave of nausea crept up on me. 

‘You’re not poisoned, are you?’  

‘Probably not’  

“What do you mean, probably not?’ 

I felt my limbs numb and my vision blur as I quickly slipped into unconsciousness. 

26