Interlude: Clairvoyance.
19 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The ticking of a grandfather clock echoed through the room, reminding its occupants of the looming, distilled silence. On the velveteen-checkered floor sat two elegantly carved wood chairs, both facing a small glass table populated with a white porcelain tea set and a silver tray of desserts. Two round windows cast bright rays across the room; The intricate portraits of queens along the gold-lined walls twinkled in its brilliance.

A young woman with long blonde pigtails sat in her chair with her legs crossed, looking outside the window at a passing cloud shaped like a rabbit across the blue. She smiled, took a long sip from her cup, and placed it back on the saucer resting in her lap.

Two heavy black doors flew open at the head of the room assisted by two knights, causing the blonde hair woman to rise from her seat. Red-hemming grooved her black dress, matching the efflorescent roses sprouting across the waist and skirt. Two red and black striped stockings rolled down the entirety of her leg, stopping at her black-inched heels.

A young woman with brown curly bobbed hair entered the room, smiling. Her eyes, round and cinnamon-colored, matched her vanilla dress with a slight chest cutout, while her white heels clicked on the floor. She stopped a few paces in front of the blonde woman, who bowed her head and sat back down.

「Thank you for meeting with me, Ancern Liza. It must be busy being the king’s advisor, so this truly is an honor.」

Liza placed her cup back onto the glass table, then cupped her hands on her chest, causing a small pink orb of light to float between her fingers and wisp around the brown-haired woman.

「You’re very much welcome, Lady Katariine. We’ve been talking through posts and envoys for the past few days. It was due time we met face to face.」

Katariine sat down and placed both slender hands in her lap with a nod. 「I also must apologize for Yasuune’s tardiness. Something urgent needed his attention. He meant no disrespect.」

It was a sincere apology, but Liza understood how imperative it was that the young Patrician attended to other duties. Following the coronation and sigil recognition, Patricians usually began searching for land or small towns to nurture and develop. This wasn’t only a test for these young Patricians to enter the court as junior diplomats, but a sign of respect for the king and country, and a chance to learn from its people.

Though the Patrician count for that year had been rather low, with only six being admitted. King Ueno had thought ahead and only given rank to special prospects. Those belonging to esteemed houses and favors given to loyal nobles were obvious choices, but he had made a late addition that had caught even her off guard.

While she had been a person of interest, being the first northerner to receive a sigil in the mainland, some questioned her motives because of the rumors of her talking to the Ingeshem princess.

Liza shook her head to clear her thoughts and smiled. 「That is fine. Regarding your reason for visiting, I’m assuming you wanted to ask my opinion on the best land to procure for your Patrician duties. Am I correct in this assumption?」

Katariine’s eyes widened. 「Ah, yes… Well…」

Even the higher echelon of houses had trouble catching the king’s attention, so it was an advisor’s job to retain relationships with all of those at court and the lower houses, so the people felt heard. While most liked to schedule small get-togethers and tea sessions, some preferred mail and messengers if they were far away or if they had respectful customs.

Though Katariine’s mail had mainly been inquiring about nuanced details such as Vogran practices and Phoenia’s relationship with the several surrounding kingdoms, she had become aware that a repeated question, or similar topic, continued popping up.

「And while you want my advice, you also want to know the locations requested of the other Patricians recognized this period as well.」 Liza said.

Liza then took a long sip of her teacup. The sweet, honeyed taste lasted on her tongue with a short grassy note towards the end. Her eyes narrowed as she watched Katariine twiddle her fingers with pursed lips.

Liza rose from her chair and walked in front of the overhead window. 「Though I’m new to my position, it doesn’t take much for me to decipher what’s going through someone’s mind. Even if it’s just written word.」

Katariine turned around in her seat and clenched her dress. 「Please… Ancern Liza… I didn’t mean too…」

Usually, the senior members of royal houses knew how to subtly request favors or incorporate rewards and benefits of said endeavors if they executed them. If Liza remembered correctly, this girl was the third daughter of Lord Raychmen of House Caulerdail. Their elaborate parties and winery across Vogran made them well-known. She had no reason to be so unfamiliar with obtaining knowledge, and she lacked the skills to hide her flustered attitude when she was discovered. Perhaps she had been new to all of this and was doing a favor for her friend.

Or maybe she, too, was a player.

Liza laughed beneath her fingers, each giggle resonating after the ticking of the room’s clock for a mellifluous sound. Katariine’s finger trembled as she raised her cup to her lips to take a sip. She let the honeyed tea sit on her tongue before swallowing in one gulp, then stood from her chair.

「I was hoping our good relationship with the King and our position in court would help us in this small… inquiry. We only wish for our country and its people to thrive, and allow Patricians without proper influence and connections to join our-」

「To put it simply, should you encounter Patricians who have secured beneficial settlements, you might exploit their naivety and manipulate them for the benefit of your house,」 Liza said.

Katariine glanced to the side while holding her arm. 「We… would only want to help them in making this country… great…」

Liza walked over and sat back down in her chair, crossing her legs with a smile. 「Your family has served us well over the years. I’m sure King Ueno will have no problem in assisting you in gathering the correct information.」

Katariine eyes widened.

She knew it was treasonous to ask the royal body to intrude on court affairs, but the Ancern was quite lax about the ordeal. She studied Liza’s face — calm, with a red-glossed smile. Her body — dignified yet relaxed. She couldn’t read her at all. And it was perplexing, even more so unnerving. So she had to ask the most relevant question:

「Why?」

「Hm? Why?」 Liza said, taking a bite of a red-paste-filled cookie.

She playfully tilted her head from side to side while taking another bite. With a small gulp, she clapped her hands together with a closed-eyed smile.

「To make things interesting this year, I suppose!」

Katariine blinked with a distant stare, unsure if she was being serious or not. Liza finished her cookie and took another sip of her tea.

「If the young Yasuune believes this information will help this kingdom thrive, then I’ll make it happen. House Vangorean has been known for their political escapades and I’m sure his Lord Taybien and his table of diplomats have thought this course of action over thoroughly.」

Liza rose from her chair and padded her dress with a nod. Katariine, taken aback for a moment, jumped from her chair with a small curtsy.

「Oh, right. One of you will need to stay in the capitol, we can’t have this information getting into the wrong hands. Since the young Yasuune is traveling, you can stay here in his stead. Once he comes back, relay any important information by mouth, and no other way. That is the only way this appointment will work.」

Katariine bowed her head and began walking toward the door. Liza turned around to the window, basking in the glittering sun's rays with a devious grin.

「King Ueno was right. These children would not disappoint. Though, I wonder… Which one will break first?」

0