Exam.
19 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When I arrived at school the following morning, they cut short our usual morning announcements and ushered us into the campus activity center. 

The activity center was like a gymnasium, but much better. It had climbing walls, game areas, wellness rooms, and indoor pools. When we arrived, the school staff transformed the student lounge into examination tents for males and females.

I waited in line as our homeroom teacher guided us through the waiting hall and began calling our names and designated tent.

“Yūga Reina, please report to tent twelve!” She said in an urgent tone.

Before entering the tent, I walked over and waited for her head to raise from her holographic clipboard. Her brown bangs covered her eyes as she looked at me and scrunched her eyes.

“Ms. Cali, may I ask why no one informed the council about this unscheduled screening? Did something happen over the weekend?” I asked.

“I’m sorry, but I cannot provide any information about this exam. Your new instructor will give you an overview after the proctoring is complete,” she said, avoiding eye contact.

Is this normal? Didn’t we have to take an exam to get into this academy? Why are they making us take another, and on short notice? Whatever. I’ll just score high like the first time. If it’s a simple assessment of key subjects such as reading, math, and science, this shouldn’t be too hard.

I took a deep breath, entered the tent, and immediately squinted my eyes. A small white room devoid of color, with a white chair and desk in the middle. This wasn’t the normal procedure for the first examination. Maybe they're incorporating something new?

A set of blinking blue arrows appeared on the ground, guiding me to a few steps beside my desk. Before I could sit down, a large red ‘X’ blinked in my chair. Confused, I took a step back, and a white rectangular panel raised from the floor.

A blue android-like woman with beady-blue eyes wearing white-workout clothes stretched on the screen with a peppy attitude. The panel released a puff of steam from its side, releasing a pressed white t-shirt, shorts, socks, and tennis shoes.

What is the meaning of this? Are they seriously asking me to work out now? I thought we were taking an exam, not waste time doing jumping jacks. I turned around and began reaching for the handle. However, a hologram of the workout android flashed beside me with a smile.

“Reina! Before you continue your proctoring, we’ll need to measure your health and wellness! Once you take the clothes from the hamper, all recording will stop for approximately ten minutes or until you push the ‘Ready’ button on the screen!” The proctoring android said.

She then began cheering with two pom-poms in her hands as the message repeated itself a second time. I suppose they suspected some students would find this situation ludicrous and try to storm off. But could you blame us? I mean, what the hell is up with this room, anyway?

I got changed and hung my uniform on a sliding rack that retreated into the panel. A puff of steam churned from the inside, guessing it was getting pressed while I continued my workout.

It started with an average physical examination, asking if I adapted any new medications, a vital sign check, visual exam by a walk-in shower, and a computerized physical exam that looked into our eyes, ears, and throat. 

The workout screen then moved onto a Body Composition Testing that measured through BIA and our BMI. After those were done, the workout android returned to her peppy form and blew a whistle.

Cardiovascular Endurance preceded the physical examination on treadmills and bikes, Strength and Endurance through push-ups and core exercises, even Flexibility Training that measured the tightness in my back and sit-and-reach measurements.

At the end, my entire body felt like fire ants had bitten my legs, arms, and chests. My joints also felt like they were being punched, adding to the discomfort. Sweat ran down my back and chest as I heaved onto the floor, finishing my final set of burpees.

I had to keep going in the physical examination until I reached my limit. Exercising in the mornings and before I went to bed, finally paid off. The workout android popped a congratulatory balloon, releasing an energy drink and apple slices on a small platter, along with a cloth for the sweat.

After taking a shower, I put back on my uniform and sat down at my desk. I rolled back my neck and smirked.

A decent workout, but now it’s time to get to business. Maybe this the workout regiment Mr. Homura wanted to incorporate into the student’s—

And that’s when it hit me. This is wasn't a regular exam. This is an assessment for that metaverse lecture program.

And I was fucking right. The following tests weren’t scholastic examinations of our academic abilities, moreover, a combination of assessments measuring our ability outside the classroom. Critical Thinking Tests, Scenario-Based Situational Judgment Tests, Innovative Challenges, and Impromptu Oral Presentations were dosed out in sets of five.

The Logic Studies weren’t too challenging. It started off with simple trials to examine our attention to detail and information retention but got more complex by the third set. It synthesized a ballroom and designated several world leaders to have specific characteristics. I was told to walk around the room, gather clues from my informants, and figure out each leader’s country, favorite food, and sole desire. 

I finished the last set and the exam room blinked blue, asking if I wanted to take a break. Though my head was throbbing, if we were being recorded I wanted to look resilient and unphased, so I continued without rest.

The next were Innovative Challenges, which essentially created random government and business models and asked us to introduce policies that would satisfy stockholders’ and public interest. However, by the third set they, too, grew advanced, asking us to consider factors of energy efficiency, housing, and social connectivity in expanding cities on inhabitable planets outside our solar system.

I actually had fun during the last set. My planet, Rei-76B, found a flat region near its equator with lots of sunlight for energy and a diverse landscape for exploration. We introduced solar fields for energy, hydroponic farming for food, modular designs for living quarters, and mining drones for work. It helped relieve the stress of the previous tests.

However, I had the least amount of fun on the Scenario-Based Judgement Tests. While the Emotional Intelligence assessments were logically based on self-awareness and interpersonal skills; I couldn’t wrap my head around why I should focus on bonding with my co-workers rather than getting my work done in the Judgement Tests. 

Most of the scenarios started me off in groups, though I began doing things on my own and coming back to present my ideas to them. The simulation’s incompetent workers began creating presentations and focus on key points without me! I even saw them walk out the door and go on a lunch break while I continued my work.

I kind of felt left out, but I had to ask why did they make the tests so realistic? I mean, no, I’m doing the right thing by being diligent in my work. They’re wasting time collaborating when they could invest in their own talents. Fucking idiots.

That set was probably the shortest, maybe because I wasn’t actively taking part. But it wasn’t my fault. It couldn’t assess my ability to be self-sufficient. 

For our last assessment, we had to give an oral presentation on any topic of our choice. They only gave us one minute to prepare. I decided beforehand to talk about the Edo period and its significance after the Sengoku period.

Although they didn't impose a time limit on the oral presentation, I delivered it within five minutes so that the audience could fully comprehend the clarity and depth of my message.

I conveyed ideas with body language, slowed my pace for added effect, and controlled my voice for segues. I even kept eye contact with the workout android if they tested for audience connection. Overall, it was the easiest assessment of them all, and the one I felt most confident in.

After my presentation, the proctor android asked me several questions about my topic. I answered questions followed by jokes, sometimes continuing the conversation with enthusiasm, and slowed my pace down if I needed to think.

The worker android smiled and pointed over to my desk. I sat back down and crossed my legs with a smile. She could give me the results now, but I know in my mind I passed with flying colors.

“What do you consider is the most harmful obstacle for humans? Share how you manage it yourself.” The worker android asked.

That’s an open-ended question, though I suppose any answer should suffice if we’re still in the Oral Assessment set. My lips opened, however, I pursed them back together, looking at the screen set named ‘Personality Assessment.’

Personality? If they’re assessing our character, then they’ve probably got a good enough idea from the previous examinations. Why ask a question when we could just give a random answer?

That’s probably just it.

If we provide an answer that aligns with our personality, they’ll include it. If we don’t, then they’ll write it off or even deduct points for lack of congruence. 

From an ebullient point of view, I would say negativity and ramble on about how it can take a toll on people being gloomy and pessimism being our enemy. I would even consider an integral route and say hypocrisy is harmful and say I strive for authenticity and self-awareness.

However, both responses would be illegitimate. First, I failed part of the scenarios test, which foretold I don’t work well with others. And second, I falsified information in the logic studies test to persuade the world leaders, suggesting that I don't value authenticity much.

No, this will have to be an answer that’s genuine. I never pondered on this before, but I have some sort of answer in mind.

“In my honest opinion, greed is the most detrimental human transgression. It can lead a man to disregard their family, and a woman to throw away her dignity. The only way for us beings to control our greed is to turn it into ability, and utilize it for success.” I said.

The female android nodded its head as if I provided a sufficient answer and clapped.

“Congratulations! You’ve completed your LPL examination! Please exit and wait in the student lounge for further instruction!”

I opened the door and watched the lights dim before exiting.

This was the moment that changed everything for me.

0