Exposure.
8 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I received a request to give a tour of the school to a group of NAVE personnel, along with Chairman Homura and some other board members, after the orientation. Some of the NAVE researchers had distinct haircuts that made them seem fresh out of a sci-fi movie. One woman had her hair styled into two afro puffs, colored lavender, while another man had hair that resembled blue fizz, giving the impression of being electrocuted.

A young woman with short black hair and curly bangs asked the bulk of the questions.  Unlike the other researchers who wore lab coats and business attire, she wore a black off-shoulder hoodie exposing her belly, loose high-waisted jeans, and spongy high-tops. Chairman Homura continued giving approving nods to each of my answers as he exchanged whispers with the NAVE scientists.

We explored all five floors of the academy and returned to the reception desk in the main hall. I stepped to the side and lowered my head, waiting for Chairman Homura to conclude talking to the researchers.

If I had known becoming a class representative would lead to drudge work, I would’ve declined. The black-haired woman with the hoodie stood beside me with a smile.

“You’re from the Yaseou district in the east, correct?” She asked.

I nodded.

“Ah, that brings back memories. I grew up there, you see. Is that ice cream shop in the middle of the plaza still a popular spot for kids?”

“I wouldn’t know. Never went there.”

“Oh, sorry for asking, then.” She said, then twirled her hair. “So, how’s your time been in Yenagree? It’s pretty innovative, wouldn’t you say? Have you ridden the train yet?”

“It’s been good, and yes, its emphasis on technological prowess is intriguing. I ride the train to the academy every day. Though, I guess I won’t need to anymore since I’ll be staying on campus.”

Wait, why did I just say that? I gave out way too much information just then. Did she just overload me with questions, causing me to blurt something out while subconsciously thinking of my answers?

I looked up at her smiling face and clear blue eyes.

“You introduced yourself before the tour, but none of the other researchers did. They’re quite rude, aren’t they?” She said while arching her back.

I shrugged.

“Well, my name’s Xochitl. I don’t really do much work at NAVE, but I find my father’s work cool, so I stick around anyway.”

She then poked my right arm and licked her lips. “I wonder, are you still sore there?”

Some of the other researchers called her over. She waved, then skipped down the hall as Chairman Homura bowed and conversed with her.

‘Are you still sore there?’ What type of question is that? I grazed the spot she touched and widened my eyes. That’s where that bitch marked me with that weird tattoo. Is she…?

Xochitl looked back and smiled as if she calculated the amount of time it would take me to figure it out. Chairman Homura said something and the entire NAVE researchers glanced toward me.

I crossed my arms and turned the other way. When I looked up, the researchers were walking out the front door while Xochitl and Chairman Homura approached me.

“I don’t know how you talk with those weirdos, uncle. They’re way too robotic for any interesting conversation to be had,” Xochitl said.

Chairman Homura chuckled. “Be nice, Xochi. Have you met Reina yet?”

“Oh, yes! I’m pretty sure she’s figured out who I am by now. She’s very perceptive, I’m told.”

“If that’s the case, then we can continue the conversation we started in the council room.” Chairman Homura said, then pointed to the elevator.

After we boarded, Chairman Homura set a passcode on the panel to the executive floor. Xochitl playfully tried to sneak a peak, and the Chairman flicked her forehead with a sigh.

I still can’t believe she’s Yokamono. Maybe she just has access to a third-person view of in-game events. But I still couldn’t dismiss the fact that she knew the exact place where the mark was placed.

Xochitl looked over at me and tilted her head. “It’s rude to stare, y’know.”

“I’m just having a hard time believing you're the girl I met in-game,” I said. “When I met you again at the castle, you acted like it was our first time meeting, and acted in a different demeanor altogether.”

She leaned against the wall and scanned her black-polished nails. “I couldn’t keep that avatar forever. I wouldn’t be a good demoness if my followers could point me out.”

“I thought you could only have one descendant?”

“So, you finally admit to being my demonic follower! Mwahaha!”

“W-what? No! Don’t confuse what happens in a game in the real world!”

Xochitl lowered her eyelids and gripped her hand into a fist. “It’s funny. A lot of players forget that rule, being engrossed in the game and all. ‘If I make a mistake, I can just try again, no matter how dire.’ But that kind of thinking is harmful in the real world, no?”

The elevator stopped, and the doors opened. We walked down a long dimly lit hallway with glossy-black floors and walls, leading to the executive-board meeting room. All three of the room’s walls were transparent, looking down at the Yenagree academy district as a circular island.

Xochitl plopped down at the head of the table and began spinning around. Chairman Homura pressed a button on the wall, causing the windows to flutter opaque, with several holo-screens blinking around us.

“My first condition for you to remain at this academy was that you’d remain on the council as a class representative for CT-A1 students. You’ve fulfilled the role and seem to be good at it thus far,” Chairman Homura said. “The second condition will not be as straightforward.”

One of the holo-screens displayed the CT-A1 class statistics, however, the qualitative expressions were displayed as quantitative amounts.

“These are the actual scores of each student in their respective categories, along with their conversion rates.” Chairman Homura said.

“So, the Overall Ability Score or LPL is essentially all the factors multiplied by weights of 0.2, then added together. With qualitative amounts for Excellent ranging from one-hundred to ninety, Very Good being eighty-nine to eighty, and so on.” I said.

“Look at you! You’re so smart, Reina!” Xochitl said in a cheerful voice.

“I suppose we don’t need to continue with the basic formula if you figured that much out. But I want you to pay attention to your LPL placement.” Chairman Homura said.

I saw nothing out of the ordinary. Besides my Intellectual Ability being the highest in the class at 95, the other scores, Emotional Intelligence: 80, Visionary Thinking: 86, Effective Communication: 83, and Physical Well-being: 85, were normal across the board compared to other students.

My score then flickered, with some scores changing in their slots. The Emotional Intelligence score lowered to 68, but the Visionary Thinking and Effective raised to 92 and 89.

“This is your actual score. Despite it not increasing your average, it’s still impressive that what you lacked in EI you held up in other attributes.” Chairman Homura said.

“I don’t understand. Why would my scores be hidden in the first place?” I asked.

“Well, for one, any student who didn’t meet above Satisfactory in any of the factors isn’t eligible for the program. And second, your actual scores would’ve distinguished you from the rest of your classmates.”

“So I wasn’t just saving the Gamer’s Club when I agreed to these conditions. I was also saving myself.”

Xochitl kicked her shoes atop the table and grinned. “Enough of the boring stuff, uncle. Let’s get down to business.”

“Of course, I just wanted to give her some context as to why we selected her,” Chairman Homura said.

“Chosen? You never told me what this second condition was.” I said.

“I’ll take over from here, uncle!” Xochitl said and jumped from her chair. “Your Emotional Intelligence score is low not because you can’t manage your emotions, but because you're not empathetic towards others. Although this isn’t entirely accurate either, the system determined that you think before responding emotionally.”

“We assigned each student with a leadership style, with yours designated as Logistical Tactician. In essence, your inclination leans toward precision in both thought and action, potentially skewing your Emotional Intelligence score based on personal disposition or internal preferences. This style is commonly observed in clandestine operations and discreet organizations, where camaraderie among subordinates is fostered without necessitating affection, apprehension, or admiration,” Chairman Homura said.

“Because of your distinct personality, we thought you’d be the perfect candidate for a pivotal role in understanding how the world of Callixtus functions,” Xochitl said.

Several screens then flashed around the room, depicting nefarious acts of varying degrees. A child strung up by his neck and tortured with a gouged stomach. Videos of women, bruised and beaten by multiple men, while others watched while masturbating. Pictures of tablets, powders, and other drugs labeled around a man who overdosed, foaming by the mouth. Brutal animal fight rings, slave trades, and even experimentations of severed heads and bloody-torn limbs.

I held my mouth, as it felt like I was about to choke. What is their deal showing me all of this? Wait a second, if I’m not mistaken…

1