Pride.
267 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.


Video games are a waste of time. The people who play them put in so much effort to compensate for their lack of significance in the real world, but it’s all for nothing.

I chuckled, rolling onto my side, feeling the warmth underneath my silk sheets and nightgown.

Some individuals have achieved success by engaging in gaming activities, such as V-Streaming and participating in curated markets. However, they ultimately recognized that relying solely on gaming for long-term benefit was insufficient, prompting them to view it as a potential business venture.

I viewed every aspect of life as a potential opportunity for personal advancement, analyzing situations through the lens of strategic management. While others indulged in leisure activities and socializing, I recognized their limited value in my pursuit of success. Sacrificing personal comforts and distractions was essential in my relentless drive to outperform my peers and secure my position at the top of the academic hierarchy in my previous district.

I rolled over onto my back and looked up to a white piece of paper that read: “WINNERS NEVER QUIT, QUITTERS NEVER WIN” taped to my ceiling.

Human behavior is unpredictable, and they often concealed their true intentions. It’s more advantageous to rely on a meticulously crafted plan backed by one’s own talents exclusively.

I can’t let him outperform me after all.

“Good morning, Reina,” my alarm speakers soothed with a feminine tone.

My eyes widened. I threw my blanket off and sat on the edge of my bed. My alarm, a white disc with an orange interior, filled my room with a soft yellow light like the rising sun. Chirping birds and a gentle breeze mellowed through the alarm’s speakers, enhancing my waking experience.

“Thank you... I’m awake now...” I said between yawns while combing my shoulder-length hair.

As if issued an order, my entire room slowly brightened with a beige glow, like a freshly baked cinnamon roll. Dimly lit lamps and bulbs on my levitating bookshelves created a serene atmosphere, both calming and tranquil. My humidifier also came to life, humming in front of my bed’s shelf stand, allowing me to breathe in a vanilla scent while washing my face in a wave of cold-soothing vapor.

The edges of my cheeks curled as I smiled.

This is how my mornings usually started. No noise, no fuss. Just a blissful wake to start my day.

I turned to make up my bed, gently folded the covers, and left no creases.

At the head of my room was a small alcove where my queen-sized bed, adorned with white silk sheets and fur, rested alongside a long white-wooden nightstand. The main area featured a desk against one wall and a comfortable, floating brown chair. The other wall had two bookcases brimmed with knowledge. Mostly self-help books and various sciences.

While I didn’t read for pleasure, I usually finished a single book every month if my course load allowed it. I had to stay ahead of the learning curve and my peers. No one will ever outperform me.

The curved-circular window beside my bed glistened into blue ripples as I grazed its surface, then opened like blinds to reveal the pre-dawn obscurity of a grayish atmosphere void of clouds.

I smirked as I closed my eyes with a contented huff of approval.

Beyond a masking black sea, mirroring the slate night sky, was a cityscape of giant skyscrapers and floating metal blimps dazzling with vibrant multi-colored lights.

“Just look at them all,” I said while triumphantly placing my hands on my hips. “While you’re all still sleeping and wasting time, I’ve already started my day.”

Its name was New Tokyo, the most advanced city in the world. The town, formerly known as Tokyo, was all but destroyed by major drone bombings during World War 3 and renovated into this ‘humble’ utopia.

I gently tilted my neck from side to side, then rolled my shoulders for a few seconds, drawing deep breaths as I started my morning stretch routine.

New Tokyo had a dark history, especially for people my age. As first-world countries started relying on recently developed technologies and creative weaponry to gain an advantage, they implemented a new act under Nexus Advanced Ventures & Engineering, or NAVE, which allowed them to draft high school and college students into war. The number of lives lost was unprecedented, leading to a global population decline that affected all countries everywhere.

I sat with crossed legs and twisted my upper body from side to side.

The war’s prolonged and devastating standstill highlighted the urgent need to prevent further suffering for all parties involved. So, in everyone’s time of need, NAVE established a sovereign cityscape sprawling with the newest generation of children, with multiple districts and various learning institutions.

Under a new policy, government agencies and companies could commission these students across the globe as politicians, board members, researchers, and world leaders. Since nations were getting the best, they had no reason to fight for prospects, and no conflict meant the youth were safe from harm and being drafted into war — Everyone wins, right?

I rolled my eyes as I stood in a mountain pose with an arched back and pointed heels for the start of my Sun Salutation.

That’s the story my virtual tour guide told me, and you’d have to be an idiot to believe in their altruistic narrative. If anything, it felt like we were Imperial Chinese noblewomen being sold off to suitors overseas.

Finishing my stretch routine with a few seconds plank, I stood on my feet and walked over to my desk. The cooling mesh fibers wrapped around my back and legs as I sat, providing comfort and sturdiness.

In my mind, the last war and what they attempted to do afterward was just some lackadaisical effort to cover up a human being’s stupidity and societal cynicism by performing a “give it to the youth” approach.

I swiped at the floating white holo-screen and scrolled through my instructor’s pre-study lecture notes.

But enough philosophy on the past generation’s ineptness on conservative values. I needed to study.

* * *

I furrowed my eyebrows while tapping my crossed arms.

“So I took the Suranmen line two stops ago… but where am I now?” I whispered to myself.

The buzz of passersby continued to pester my ears to a pretentious degree at the Yenagree Central Station. The spacious interior was like a white-glistening cave with holo-banners, floating transfer shuttles, and helper droids cluttering the airspace. Sparkling glass-metal support beams connected the plasma conduit from the ceiling to the floor, causing waves of rippling electric-blue energy to pass by my feet.

The continued rush of clattering footsteps and shoulder brushes of hurrying pedestrians made me restless, which wasn’t helping the situation. It was my first time on public transportation, and I didn’t want to admit it, but I was lost. The only thing calming my nerves was the smell of freshly brewed coffee at a nearby bulletin stand as business suits, floral dresses, and school uniforms floated past the sides of my eye.

I continued to survey the holo-screens above the main terminal kiosk, attempting to remember which stop I’d gotten off at… two stops ago. I could ask the booth or one of the white-shiny helper droids lingering in the air, but…

‘I don’t want to,‘ I thought. ‘Or rather, I don’t need to. I’ll figure this out on my own.’

I couldn’t afford to depend on others, especially not with my recent acquisition of a prestigious title. It would be detrimental to my reputation if my peers witnessed me seeking assistance and struggling with what should be a straightforward task. Maintaining my image of competence and self-sufficiency is paramount.

However, if someone approached me and asked if I was lost, I would have no reason to decline their offer. It wouldn’t be logical to refuse when they approached me, especially considering my resourcefulness.

But, what the hell. No one’s coming toward me. And it’s making me feel more like an idiot every moment that passes that I could be the only person standing here.

I turned and locked eyes with a navy-suited business person. I instinctively glared, and he awkwardly bowed his head before scurrying off.

I need to work on that.

Hold on. Is something wrong with my outfit?

The pearly white surface of the kiosk reflected my appearance with a few minor refractions. A fair skin complexion, deep light-gray eyes, and black bangs stopped just below my eyebrows while the sides and back of my hair flowed freely just above my shoulders.

Today, I wore a black turtleneck sweater with a puffy collar that complimented the amethyst-white laced necklace and matching two-gem earrings that swayed from my ears. I don’t necessarily enjoy wearing jewelry, but they were gifts from friends and family, so I decided not to let them go to waste. Black jeans, a gold-crescent-shaped belt, and black heeled boots complimented the shirt.

“No, that couldn’t be it. My appearance is flawless… I dressed elegantly, dammit.”

This may be my mother’s style, but she’s the most elegant person I knew. And while we’re out in public, everyone looked her way, so it’s safe to say I’m upholding the same appeal. It’s probably why Father got jealous and dumped himself into his stupid work all the time.

Hm. It’s been a while since I last thought about my father. But the feelings are likely neutral.

A sigh escaped my lips as I held up my hand to chest length. A metal-pink ring on my middle finger then sprouted several holograms from the local time, contacts, and nearby service panels. I then began scrolling down the contacts list, using my eyes as cursors.

In my last district, the popular comm-tech were phones. But once I moved to New Tokyo, they strictly prohibited Arc, or Net access, unless using a registered Proatrix. After the incidents on the Global Web Arc last year, I wouldn’t blame them for such a policy.

I finally scrolled to Toshi’s number and stared at the ‘Dial’ button before looking away.

Even though he’s my boyfriend, technically… maybe I shouldn’t interrupt him. After all, he is the Student Council President and said the start of his days are pretty hectic.

I threw my wrist down and groaned beneath my breath.

“I should stop overthinking and just-”

“Yeah, you do tend to overthink things. You’ve been standing here for quite a while, Rei-Rei.”

I jolted as I turned around. A girl with long chestnut-brown hair floating down to her lower back smiled while sipping from a metal canister. Her eyes were a deep, leafy green that twinkled with a certain mischief. She wore a silver-three buttoned vest with a matching coat that turned into a black-paid skirt that stopped at her ankles.

The uniform’s crest gleamed on her left breast pocket—a silver sword with angelic white wings sprouting on either side.

“You’re from Seya.” I glanced down at her shoulder. “And from that aiguillette on your right arm, you’re the Secretary this year, Hase-san.”

“You haven’t changed, Rei. And you can call me by my first name, you know. We’ve known each other since we were little.”

“That doesn’t change that I’ll be your subordinate this year. I want to keep things cordial between us.” I said.

“Whaat-ever.”

I first met Chihiro during her father’s crowdfunding gala when we were still in grade school. My parents, who were large donors, usually attracted a crowd at these sorts of gatherings. I stood idly by and exchanged smiles with the couples who came to greet them.

Out of nowhere, this girl just stood beside me, not saying anything. It creeped me out, so I told her to leave, and she did. Then, at every single event, I’d see her again, and she’d do the same thing. Eventually, we’d talk and had a lot in common.

Probably one of the most absurd ways for youth to make friends. But I soon found out she wasn’t shy. She just enjoyed putting people in aberrant situations to see how they’d react.

Chihiro poked the velvet cloth and silver intertwined cords on her shoulder with another sip.

“You didn’t want to wear your uniform today? I expected you to be the first to brag about your new position.”

“Yes, well… Wait, why are you wearing yours? Council members only have to wear their uniforms on Uniform Day.”

Chihiro raised an eyebrow. “Kind of risky to do that when it’s Admissions Day.”

A pit opened up in my stomach that sucked the light from my eyes and the feeling from my legs and feet, almost causing me to collapse.

I couldn’t believe I forgot that council members are voting on club submissions for the new school year today! Quick, I needed an excuse!

“Ah, yes… Well, I… didn’t want to appear too intimidating with my Vice President title on the first day.”

Chihiro lowered her eyelids, her uncertain gaze piercing my heart like a sharp knife of truth. She then tilted her head with a beaming smile.

“That’s so thoughtful of you, Rei-Rei! Aisha was wrong about you letting the power go to your head.”

“Aha.. yeah… I’m always trying to think of others alright.”

Like hell I am.

But she bought it, so who cares? Being truthful isn’t what makes a prominent leader. It’s saying what people want to hear, and I’ve learned to be quite good at that.

And, of course, Aisha is plotting my demise. I’ll deal with that nuisance later.

A puff of steam rose from one of the stationed trains, white-steeled exteriors with transparent window roofing and sides with striking blue neon lights that raced through its crevices.

I heard stories about this hyper-rail system in my old district. They can reach speeds up to 1,000 miles per hour when they hit the hypertunnel, all while providing a luxurious ride for passengers.

It suits my daily transportation perfectly. I’m beginning to like this district.

A sudden jolt of my arm disturbed me from my thoughts as Chihiro pulled me through a large crowd.

“Oh wow, look at the time! Rei-Rei, we’ve gotta go! That’s our train!”

We approached the boarding station as a group of students wearing uniforms similar to Chihiro’s began walking up the balcony. An android with white-metallic skin and beaming blue eyes bowed its head as it held out its hand. Chihiro raised her wrist toward the android. With a beep and a green glow resonating in the android’s pupils, it bowed again and let her pass. I did the same, but with my ringed Proatrix, and it also beeped with a neon-green glow encircling its eyes.

“Welcome to New Tokyo, Reina. We hope you enjoy your stay.”

Inside was a well-lit, narrow corridor with sliding opaque glass doors on each wall. Giggling schoolgirls, secretive businessmen, and gossiping mothers began filling up rooms as the doors slid close behind us.

“Let’s find a room, Rei-Rei! The train’s beginning to move!” Chihiro said, a few paces ahead.

We stopped two cars down to a compartment with lavish royal-blue quilted walls and vibrant maroon flooring. The air smelled of freshly baked dough with a hint of cinnamon, making my taste buds long for whatever was being prepared.

Chihiro pressed her palm against the vacant door, and it slid open. The interior was like the outside hall, except for the walls pattered with digital raindrops. An earthy smell lingered from various pink and green plants with droopy-long stems surrounding the walls and floor. Two vacant white-levitating lounge chairs faced each other, centered in the middle of the room.

“My father designed this room specifically for me!” Chihiro said, then pounced onto a chair.

I’d forgotten her father’s a respected consultant for AI firms across Sunaveen. Whenever he partnered with a company, she’d get a gift. I guess they thought if they kept the daughter happy, good relations would continue with her father. I can respect that approach.

Chihiro began scrolling through the menu screen. “Sit, sit. You look hungry. And knowing you, you probably skipped breakfast studying again.”

My eyebrow twitched as I looked down at the protein bar I’d been clinging to since reaching the station.

She’s right, which is annoying.

“I’m fine, thank you. Mornings aren’t really my thing,” I said.

“Isn’t your brother a decent cook? He used to prepare breakfast for us regularly. Why don’t you just ask him to…“

—CHURK

Half of my granola bar fell to the ground as I continued to grip the wrapper with a glare. I then nodded and bit into the severed half.

“He’s busy these days. I don’t want to bother him.”

Chihiro looked down at the bar. “You two still fighting, huh? That’s honestly too bad. You used to be so close.”

Her eyes widened, and she flipped up her hand, causing several holo-screens to virtualize around the room.

“Oh, yeah! As secretary, I have all club submissions for second and first-years. Want to see?”

“Don’t you need the President’s approval to review the list before the meeting?” I asked.

“Approval, right? I still can’t believe him sometimes.”

She laughed, then slowly turned to me with a blank stare.

“You’re serious, aren’t you? Ugh, it’s just Toshi. What is he going to do? Lecture me? I’m pretty sure he only became president to hear his own voice. Well, I’m sick of him!” Chihiro said while puffing her cheeks.

A silent laugh escaped my lips. I then grazed my mouth and cheeks as unsureness coursed through my body.

When’s the last time… I laughed..? It felt so foreign for a second.

A mischievous smirk curled on Chihiro’s face as she swiped a holo-screen in front of me.

“I’ll assume that’s a yes, Vice Prez. Since you’re a first-year, you have priority over first-year submissions. Interestingly enough, you only have one.”

I grabbed the screen and scrolled down the list.

Only one club submission, huh? That wasn’t too bad; it meant less work for me. I’ll just approve it, even if it’s something stupid. Since I was new here, I wanted to seem lenient towards the rest of the student body. I had to keep up public appearances, after all.

My finger then scrolled down onto the club president’s info page.

“Tiger Quinn? That’s a weird name. Wait, what the… He scored in the 99th ranking percentile? But that means he was a percentile above me this year!”

They were supposed to release the entrance exam scores after the first day, so I wouldn’t have known… But the highest-ranking first-year was supposed to get the VP seat! How did I...

I looked over at Chihiro and she shook her head, “I-I didn’t know! I’m-I’m just the secretary!”

“Who the hell is this guy? Thinking he can beat me and not accept the VP position like he’s above it all? Damn him...”

“E-easy… Rei-Rei… How about we order some breakfast, yeah? You may not be ready for the next—“

As I scrolled down, I felt a burning sensation stretch from my cheeks into my chest.

“So, not only does he mock me with his carefree attitude, but he also wants to start a ‘Gamer’s Club’?”

… Who in the hell does this guy think he is?

3